Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2018

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what I have seen, he has some serious issues separating from blocks. I have also seen a few plays where he has taken terrible angle in pursuit. Just not a big fan of the idea of taking him at 19.
Yeah he is a real raw guy that from my understanding struggled for the first half of the season. By the second half of the season I guess he had some really good games but he worries the shit out of me in the first as well.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
From what I have seen, he has some serious issues separating from blocks. I have also seen a few plays where he has taken terrible angle in pursuit. Just not a big fan of the idea of taking him at 19.
Yea that's what I was getting at when I said his technique taking on blocks is rough and needs to improve, although given his limited experience I think he'll definitely improve.

His fluidity in coverage, range to the sideline, and ability to maneuver through traffic is ridiculous for his size. He's yet another guy who I'd love if we could trade back 8-10 spots but who may have to be in the conversation at 19 given how this class is looking.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah he is a real raw guy that from my understanding struggled for the first half of the season. By the second half of the season I guess he had some really good games but he worries the shit out of me in the first as well.
He was a 1st-year starter so that'd make sense, although he won the conference DPOY for a reason. Check out his last 2 games of the year, the bowl game against Oregon and the conference championship against Fresno St. and you'll see why he's being talked about as a late 1st.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like him. And actually think he could play both 1 and 3 in our defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was a 1st-year starter so that'd make sense, although he won the conference DPOY for a reason. Check out his last 2 games of the year, the bowl game against Oregon and the conference championship against Fresno St. and you'll see why he's being talked about as a late 1st.
Yeah don't take it totally the wrong way. I think I'd prefer him to Evans. Long term I'd roll with Vander Esch at MLBer and Jaylon at the WLBer spot. To me that's a pretty dynamic combo. Vander Esch runs well and while he doesn't undercover great I've seen him at least take on blocks and drive guys back. He has good strength to go with that size. I don't think he just gets pushed around.

I just feel like if he is the best on my board at 19, I'd trade down in the first and hope he is still around in 8 picks later.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys like this scare the shit out of me. Dallas just does such a piss poor job of drafting guys from bumble fuck schools. I love that he is 6'2" with that type of athletic ability but I'm sure he was by far more athletically gifted than anyone he was playing against. Sort of makes it easy to get separation. I guess it's better than taking a late round WR with zero upside like Noah Brown in my opinion. A guy who is also right at 6'2" but who has no real speed or acceleration.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I guess it's better than taking a late round WR with zero upside like Noah Brown in my opinion. A guy who is also right at 6'2" but who has no real speed or acceleration.
Noah Brown was a crap shoot. He had one spectacular game at Ohio state and a couple of other decent ones with friggin JT Barrett throwing to him. I was hoping he would make some progress with a real QB throwing to him. Of course we still aren't 100% sure what we have with Dak and the downfield throws were minimal last year. Also tough to get work as the 5th or 6th receiver on the depth chart. Especially on a team that values veteran players regardless of contribution.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They are definitely looking at Day 2 linebackers.

I think that means..... OL, WR, or DB in the first. Maybe DE, but I doubt they go DT with Irving and Collins on board and their serial aversion to NTs.

I still am hoping for a Derwin James trade up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are definitely looking at Day 2 linebackers.

I think that means..... OL, WR, or DB in the first. Maybe DE, but I doubt they go DT with Irving and Collins on board and their serial aversion to NTs.

I still am hoping for a Derwin James trade up.
I'm hoping for a Derwin James fall. The market for safeties has been pretty weak in free agency. Maybe it will pass over into the draft. A guy can hope.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Noah Brown was a crap shoot. He had one spectacular game at Ohio state and a couple of other decent ones with friggin JT Barrett throwing to him. I was hoping he would make some progress with a real QB throwing to him. Of course we still aren't 100% sure what we have with Dak and the downfield throws were minimal last year. Also tough to get work as the 5th or 6th receiver on the depth chart. Especially on a team that values veteran players regardless of contribution.
The way I look at is with a late round pick at WR I either want a high potential guy or a highly productive guy. Don't give me a guy with low potential who wasn't very productive.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I just see no way James falls to 19.

If he gets past 9, I am on the phone. Him or Fitzpatrick.

Even that will require four QBs to go in the top 10. Maybe even 5 with LaMar Jackson sneaking into the early teens. All of which could happen. Lot of QB needy teams.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I usually am one who counters the lament that "We pick just after the talent runs out! This is a weak draft!" etc... Usually good names fall that you don't expect.

But this year I think it's true. I really do think we pick just past the cut off of elite defensive talent. Or actually.... more like 3-4 picks past where the last truly good defenders will go.

Our draft spot is excellent for the "second tier" of first round talents. That tier is populated with interior defensive linemen and offensive linemen and cornerbacks, though. None of which truly interest me.

I'm moving up or moving down almost assuredly, if it was up to me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just see no way James falls to 19.

If he gets past 9, I am on the phone. Him or Fitzpatrick.

Even that will require four QBs to go in the top 10. Maybe even 5 with LaMar Jackson sneaking into the early teens. All of which could happen. Lot of QB needy teams.
I'll call it right now, 4 QB are going top 10. I think the Giants move out and a team moves in to take a QB. The Browns are for sure taking a QB. The Jets are for sure taking a QB. My guess is the Bills sell the farm to move up to 2 to take a QB. Which leaves the Broncos at 5 probably picking up the scraps.

Either way I think 4 QBs are gone before our pick at 19 and then possibly 5. For arguments sake Smith and Edmunds are both gone since we all know we would love them. Barkley, Minkah, Chubb, Ward and Nelson are all locks as well to be gone by our pick.

So now we are hypothetically threw 11 picks without batting an eye. You then have a bunch of guys like Davenport, Ridley, Vea and Payne who could all easily go in that next range. So while it may be slim, I still see a shot at James at 19.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually am one who counters the lament that "We pick just after the talent runs out! This is a weak draft!" etc... Usually good names fall that you don't expect.

But this year I think it's true. I really do think we pick just past the cut off of elite defensive talent. Or actually.... more like 3-4 picks past where the last truly good defenders will go.

Our draft spot is excellent for the "second tier" of first round talents. That tier is populated with interior defensive linemen and offensive linemen and cornerbacks, though. None of which truly interest me.

I'm moving up or moving down almost assuredly, if it was up to me.
You hate corners but I bet you see more than just Ward gone before our pick at 19. I'd bet on it.

Top Bottom