Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2018

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The problem is Sutton feels like the type of WR Dallas loves. They seem to fall in love with bigger receivers. It's like our MO. When what we really need is some speed on offense to scare defenses.
The lack of speed is what really bothers me.

There is plenty to like with Sutton in terms of his size, strength at the catch point, ability to win in contested situations, and like you said I think he's a bit better of a route runner than most give him credit for. He's also an excellent blocker from what I've seen.

My issue is that the offense in general needs more game-breaking speed and an ability to win in space quickly. While Sutton is a bit better of a route runner than I expected I think it's his lack of start/stop and short area burst that has people questioning his route-running.

I was under the impression that we were going to kind of re-make the WR corps a little bit but if we draft Sutton we're basically saying, well, everything is more or less fine how it was, we just wanted to get rid of Dez's contract and sideline antics.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is the guy I think I want most:

Will Hernandez, UTEP
Hernandez is one of the best run-blocking guards I've ever graded. And I've been grading college prospects for a long time. He just destroys guys. Run behind him on third-and 1 or fourth-and-1, and you're going to convert the first down. He's a 6-2, 327-pound mauler who should be a plug-and-play starter as a rookie.

Projection: Late first round or early second round.

But I doubt that we do it. If we go LBer in the first I want LVE. I like him way more than Evans. And while I'd prefer Roquan Smith I think he is gone in the top 10 picks and there is no way in hell I'm giving up the resources it would take to trade up for him.

So right now I guess my list of guys I want at 19 would probably be Leighton Vander Esch, Ridley, Harold Landry and Hernandez. I think my favorite is Hernandez though. We are a team built around having a special running game. He is a special run blocking O-lineman. We have a hole at LG still. To me he just makes perfect sense. Lets make our run game unstoppable again.

I put Bryan and Courtland Sutton as high probabilities though. Not sure I'd hate them, I'd just feel like we could have done better.
This is more or less how I see it as far as Hernandez being my top choice, followed by Vander Esch, Landry, Moore, Ridley or Payne, in roughly that order. I'd prefer Sutton to Bryan but I can't say I'd be especially happy with either of them.

Bryan has special burst/explosiveness off the snap but he's very raw and is only about 290. I think he could be really dangerous in nickel/dime but it wouldn't shock me if he struggles to develop into a full-time starter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is more or less how I see it as far as Hernandez being my top choice, followed by Vander Esch, Landry, Moore, Ridley or Payne, in roughly that order. I'd prefer Sutton to Bryan but I can't say I'd be especially happy with either of them.

Bryan has special burst/explosiveness off the snap but he's very raw and is only about 290. I think he could be really dangerous in nickel/dime but it wouldn't shock me if he struggles to develop into a full-time starter.
I'm wondering if I should be more down on Bryan than I am. I feel like most years you're supportive of the Florida guys and I hate them. I don't love Bryan because I think he lacks instincts and I don't think you can teach a guy that. But I'm just surprised you actually seem to like him less than me. He looks like a wreaking ball who disrupts plays with an excellent first step but I'm not sure he will ever be more than that.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
This is the guy I think I want most:

Will Hernandez, UTEP
Hernandez is one of the best run-blocking guards I've ever graded. And I've been grading college prospects for a long time. He just destroys guys. Run behind him on third-and 1 or fourth-and-1, and you're going to convert the first down. He's a 6-2, 327-pound mauler who should be a plug-and-play starter as a rookie.

Projection: Late first round or early second round.

But I doubt that we do it. If we go LBer in the first I want LVE. I like him way more than Evans. And while I'd prefer Roquan Smith I think he is gone in the top 10 picks and there is no way in hell I'm giving up the resources it would take to trade up for him.

So right now I guess my list of guys I want at 19 would probably be Leighton Vander Esch, Ridley, Harold Landry and Hernandez. I think my favorite is Hernandez though. We are a team built around having a special running game. He is a special run blocking O-lineman. We have a hole at LG still. To me he just makes perfect sense. Lets make our run game unstoppable again.

I put Bryan and Courtland Sutton as high probabilities though. Not sure I'd hate them, I'd just feel like we could have done better.
I like Hernandez too. It's not a sexy pick but it definitely improves the offense and makes everyone's job easier. Vea is who I covet the most but that's a fucking pipe dream. I'm not enamored with any wrs or lbs unless it involves a trade down.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Hernandez too. It's not a sexy pick but it definitely improves the offense and makes everyone's job easier. Vea is who I covet the most but that's a fucking pipe dream. I'm not enamored with any wrs or lbs unless it involves a trade down.
I think Hernandez has the most potential to be special. And honestly he fits best for the type of team we want to be. Which is run the clock, limit our defenses exposure and then allow Dak to kind of compliment the elite running game.

I think LVE could be special with a little work. Same for Ridley. But to me Hernandez's run blocking is already right on point to step in and be a high level guy already.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm wondering if I should be more down on Bryan than I am. I feel like most years you're supportive of the Florida guys and I hate them. I don't love Bryan because I think he lacks instincts and I don't think you can teach a guy that. But I'm just surprised you actually seem to like him less than me. He looks like a wreaking ball who disrupts plays with an excellent first step but I'm not sure he will ever be more than that.
He's a boom/bust type player and I like too many other guys at 19 who play positions of greater need to take that risk.

What surprises me is that you're seemingly ok with him at 19 but not Hurst, who is nearly as explosive and much more refined/productive.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's a boom/bust type player and I like too many other guys at 19 who play positions of greater need to take that risk.

What surprises me is that you're seemingly ok with him at 19 but not Hurst, who is nearly as explosive and much more refined/productive.
Yeah I'd probably feel about the same with Hurst if his heart was perfect. I just don't really want a 3 technique that badly in this draft. To me Irving is just flat better and a better fit then both of them at that job. I'm just worried now since we've done nothing to extend Irving or Lawrence and the Cowboys could very easily lose one next off season. Frankly those two make up one of the NFL's best DE/DT combos.

Carp

DCC 4Life
From everything I have seen I think it is a given that we go Vander Esch, Bryan, and Moore at 19...prioritized in that order.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
From everything I have seen I think it is a given that we go Vander Esch, Bryan, and Moore at 19...prioritized in that order.
Word is Vea is ahead of LVE.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
True...I think he ends up in Oakland.
Yeah, or in Washington. It's not likely he makes it to 19, but damned if I'm not holding out hope.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Also, onenod the knocks on Vea is not having a quick first nstep...which is apparently the worst thing innthe history of recorded time for Marinelli.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
At this point I've prepared myself for LVE at one and some form of WR at 2 and truthfully, I'm ok with that. Maybe, just maybe, Kirk falls to 50.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah, I don't see him getting out of the first round.
yea if Kirk isn't drafted in the 1st I see the second round starting with some team trading up to take him

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I don't see him getting out of the first round.
Just sort of depends who teams like most. That guy could be Kirk, Chark or Sutton. I'm not really sure who yet but I really like all 3 of those guys. I've got my specific concerns about each but they all have special traits that I would love to have as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At this point I've prepared myself for LVE at one and some form of WR at 2 and truthfully, I'm ok with that. Maybe, just maybe, Kirk falls to 50.
I hope one of Sutton, Kirk or Chark is there for us in the second round.

Unfortunately I could see us instead looking at Washington, Miller or Gallup as the WR's available. Not that it's a bad group but it's not nearly as exciting. And I've already sort of gone on the record saying I don't like Miller. I'm not sure they are much different than guys like Pettis, Equanimeous St. Brown, DaeSean Hamilton, and Daurice Fountain in my book.

And I really like some other WR's like Allen Lazard, Jaleel Scott, Keke Coutee (As long as he agrees to never go by the name Keke) and Deon Cain.

My bad boy group who I love but I know are assholes is Jordan Lasley and Antonio Callaway. Maybe with a day three pick if we think we can fix them.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I hope one of Sutton, Kirk or Chark is there for us in the second round.

Unfortunately I could see us instead looking at Washington, Miller or Gallup as the WR's available. Not that it's a bad group but it's not nearly as exciting. And I've already sort of gone on the record saying I don't like Miller. I'm not sure they are much different than guys like Pettis, Equanimeous St. Brown, DaeSean Hamilton, and Daurice Fountain in my book.

And I really like some other WR's like Allen Lazard, Jaleel Scott, Keke Coutee (As long as he agrees to never go by the name Keke) and Deon Cain.

My bad boy group who I love but I know are assholes is Jordan Lasley and Antonio Callaway. Maybe with a day three pick if we think we can fix them.
Chark is too inconsistent. I'm not sure I want him at all. Maybe in the 4th as an occasional deep threat. The LSU guys aren't fans so why should we?

I would be shocked if Kirk is drafted in the 1st. Most likely it's gonna be Ridley, Moore and probably Sutton and that's it for the 1st. The value just isn't there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chark is too inconsistent. I'm not sure I want him at all. Maybe in the 4th as an occasional deep threat. The LSU guys aren't fans so why should we?

I would be shocked if Kirk is drafted in the 1st. Most likely it's gonna be Ridley, Moore and probably Sutton and that's it for the 1st. The value just isn't there.
Chark has what we need. Elite big play ability and size to boot.

What he needs to work on is refining his route running (Normal for most rookies) and his hands don't look great to me. I wouldn't call him a body catcher but I don't think he is really a jump ball receiver either. He does let some balls sort of get into his body. Which is ok because he has tons of speed and acceleration to kill so I'm not looking for elite hands.

He is a guy that has really grown on me. I didn't love him at first but the Senior Bowl game sort of opened my eyes and the more I saw the more I realized he actually could be a perfect fit here.

Top Bottom