Staff member
Excellent

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So apparently we brought Sutton in for a last minute visit today. I guess today was the last day we could do that. Supposedly we really like him. They were raving about what an amazing person he is just beyond his talent. I'm hoping this is for purposes of a trade down, round two or a trade up in round two. But it wouldn't totally shock me if we took him at 19. I actually sort of like Sutton but I think he is more of a player for player swap out with Dez in terms of a skill set. Maybe more like a young Dez instead of the Dez we had last year but still I was hoping for a different kind of receiver.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like him but he will be long gone by the time we consider a QB in the draft.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
These dumb assholes are really taking Sutton at 19 aren't they?

He's a solid prospect but I hate the value at 19. I don't think there's a dramatic difference between someone like him and Chark, Kirk, Washington, or Miller, any of whom could be available at 50.

And Sutton is a poor man's young Dez, he doesn't seem anywhere near as explosive as a younger Dez.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

He's a solid prospect but I hate the value at 19. I don't think there's a dramatic difference between someone like him and Chark, Kirk, Washington, or Miller, any of whom could be available at 50.

And Sutton is a poor man's young Dez, he doesn't seem anywhere near as explosive as a younger Dez.
They better fucking not.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They better fucking not.
Get ready for it.

I don't think he's going to be a bad player necessarily, I could argue that he's a safer pick than someone like Moore actually, I just think is ceiling is a bit limited and I don't like the fact that it feels like we're basically spending the 19th pick on a poor man's Dez.

Then there's also the fact that this is a very deep WR class with no true standouts at the top and I just wish we'd wait until Day 2.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sutton is funny. He went from sure fire first rounder and possible first WR pick to second rounder and now seems to be moving back up. I didn't like him for awhile. But he has grown on me over time. I think there is more to him then people give credit. He's actually an elite jump ball reciever who gets in out of his breaks really well for a big receiver.

But I want explosion on offense. Real game breakers. Instead Sutton seems like Dallas trying to hard to replace Dez Bryant and force a similar type of receiver into the offense. The type of receiver that I don't think fits Daks strengths.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get ready for it.

I don't think he's going to be a bad player necessarily, I could argue that he's a safer pick than someone like Moore actually, I just think is ceiling is a bit limited and I don't like the fact that it feels like we're basically spending the 19th pick on a poor man's Dez.

Then there's also the fact that this is a very deep WR class with no true standouts at the top and I just wish we'd wait until Day 2.
The problem is Sutton feels like the type of WR Dallas loves. They seem to fall in love with bigger receivers. It's like our MO. When what we really need is some speed on offense to scare defenses.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
2018 NFL Draft: Courtland Sutton visiting Dallas Cowboys

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: April 18, 2018 at 04:06 p.m. Updated: April 18, 2018 at 04:20 p.m. 0 Likes | 0 Comments
Read Discuss

Could the Dallas Cowboys be looking local to replace Dez Bryant?

The club could be exploring the possibility, as it's hosting SMU WR Courtland Sutton for a visit on the final day that the NFL allows 2018 draft prospects to meet with teams at their facilities, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. Sutton became one of the top receivers in college football in part by learning to use his size advantage (6-foot-3, 218 pounds), leading to comparisons between his game and Bryant's. NFL.com analyst Lance Zierlein has identified Sutton as a strong option for the Cowboys to replace Bryant, who was released last week, in the draft.

As well, the former Mustangs star grew up a Cowboys fan as a Brenham, Texas, native, and a Bryant fan in particular. He paid social-media tribute to Bryant, in fact, after learning that the Cowboys were parting ways with the receiver:

Sutton caught 193 passes for 3,193 yards and 31 touchdowns over three seasons as an SMU starter. With the school being in Dallas, he was eligible to participate in the Cowboys' Dallas Day workout for local prospects, but did not attend. The Cowboys staff, including head coach Jason Garrett, conducted Sutton's position drills at SMU's pro day workout last month.

Sutton also has visited the Philadelphia Eagles, with whom he met privately prior to SMU's pro day, and he's worked out for the Chicago Bears.

Call it a gut feeling but I think this is pick 19.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The problem is Sutton feels like the type of WR Dallas loves. They seem to fall in love with bigger receivers. It's like our MO. When what we really need is some speed on offense to scare defenses.
Agreed. This why I love Moore and Ridley so much. Moore can take a short, easy throw and take it 40. Amazing RAC guy. Really helps a QB. Meanwhile, Ridley is route running stud and makes for an easy target. Both of them are used to less than perfect QBs as well.

Calloway would be another option later that fits the bill but I don't know that the team wants a new headache to replace their departing one.

Cotton

Staff member
Sutton is funny. He went from sure fire first rounder and possible first WR pick to second rounder and now seems to be moving back up. I didn't like him for awhile. But he has grown on me over time. I think there is more to him then people give credit. He's actually an elite jump ball reciever who gets in out of his breaks really well for a big receiver.

But I want explosion on offense. Real game breakers. Instead Sutton seems like Dallas trying to hard to replace Dez Bryant and force a similar type of receiver into the offense. The type of receiver that I don't think fits Daks strengths.
He is Dez all over again. No thanks.

I don't need another receiver who can't get separation, who has to rely on pushoffs to get to the ball.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is Dez all over again. No thanks.
Well he is like Dez but with high character and work ethic from my understanding. But yeah, his skill set is very similar to that of Dez. A little taller and leaner looking than Dez but still pretty similar in what their strengths are.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Calloway would be another option later that fits the bill but I don't know that the team wants a new headache to replace their departing one.
Yeah I love Callaway but I have no idea if he is a life time criminal or if the guy will stay out of trouble once he has a little money. Didn't he get kicked off the team for credit card fraud or something? Additionally some weed issues and sexual assault (Charges were dropped on that one) maybe?

He is a guy that we really need to do our homework on. He is the type of guy though that I think we may take a chance on as our second WR in the draft. I don't think you can bank on him though by taking him as your top WR prospect in this draft.

Cotton

Staff member
Well he is like Dez but with high character and work ethic from my understanding. But yeah, his skill set is very similar to that of Dez. A little taller and leaner looking than Dez but still pretty similar in what their strengths are.
I need separation if we are taking a WR in the first. Dak needs it, too. As do most Qbs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I need separation if we are taking a WR in the first. Dak needs it, too. As do most Qbs.
No one better in this draft at that than Ridley.

But if you want a guy who does everything pretty well DJ Moore seems to do everything well. He does well on contested catches. He is great at run after the catch. He gets good separation and runs good routes. And he is an overall excellent athlete.

I don't think we could go wrong with either of those two in the first round. I think Ridley is special in terms of ability to separate but maybe not as well rounded as DJ Moore.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
No one better in this draft at that than Ridley.

But if you want a guy who does everything pretty well DJ Moore seems to do everything well. He does well on contested catches. He is great at run after the catch. He gets good separation and runs good routes. And he is an overall excellent athlete.

I don't think we could go wrong with either of those two in the first round. I think Ridley is special in terms of ability to separate but maybe not as well rounded as DJ Moore.
I still reluctantly think LVE is our best bet though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still reluctantly think LVE is our best bet though.
This is the guy I think I want most:

Will Hernandez, UTEP
Hernandez is one of the best run-blocking guards I've ever graded. And I've been grading college prospects for a long time. He just destroys guys. Run behind him on third-and 1 or fourth-and-1, and you're going to convert the first down. He's a 6-2, 327-pound mauler who should be a plug-and-play starter as a rookie.

Projection: Late first round or early second round.

But I doubt that we do it. If we go LBer in the first I want LVE. I like him way more than Evans. And while I'd prefer Roquan Smith I think he is gone in the top 10 picks and there is no way in hell I'm giving up the resources it would take to trade up for him.

So right now I guess my list of guys I want at 19 would probably be Leighton Vander Esch, Ridley, Harold Landry and Hernandez. I think my favorite is Hernandez though. We are a team built around having a special running game. He is a special run blocking O-lineman. We have a hole at LG still. To me he just makes perfect sense. Lets make our run game unstoppable again.

I put Bryan and Courtland Sutton as high probabilities though. Not sure I'd hate them, I'd just feel like we could have done better.

Top Bottom