Random 2018 Mock Drafts Thread

Cujo

DCC 4Life

If I'm taking another DE, I'd take Davenport.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Cowboys Mock Draft 7.0: Cowboys snag four impact players in first two days
The Cowboys are wheeling and dealing in Mock 7.0 but come away with guys ready to play.
By Michael Sisemore@MrSisemore Apr 6, 2018, 12:00pm CDT

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
In last week’s mock, we had the Cowboys moving around quite a bit to show just how aggressive they could be with their picks. Well, we decided to do something similar with our “lucky number seven” mock draft.

For our exercise, we like to use the mock simulator at Fanspeak but also the Trade Value Chart from DraftTek.

Let’s just get right down to it and make another mockery of this whole thing as the Cowboys sit and pick in the first round.

Pick 19: Cowboys select Taven Bryan, DT, Florida (Brugler: 20th)

Analysis: The Cowboys go for a defensive tackle here but it’s not the 1-tech everyone was thinking. Dallas sees that the 1-tech is rather deep in this draft but also that Bryan is a special talent at the 3-tech. They also have seen Maliek Collins play the nose last season and hold his own with David Irving next to him. Bryan will step right in and share reps with Irving, who’s proved to be anything but reliable and who knows where he may be in 2019? Bryan is an explosive 3-tech that has perhaps the best first-step quickness of any DT in this draft.

Rod Marinelli worked him out and came away quite impressed with Bryan’s quick-twitch style. He’ll fit right in on this defense as they continue to try and win now while keeping one eye on the future.

***TRADE ALERT***

As the second day begins, the Cowboys see a few guys slip to the second round that they have their eye on. Instead of waiting, Dallas trades up early in the day to Pick 33 (580 points) by sending picks 50 + 81 (585 points) to secure the first pick of the second round.

Right before the Cowboys go on the clock at 33, the Broncos call offering the Cowboys a slight trade down to pick 40 + Pick 106 (582 points) for Pick 33 (580 points). Seeing that there are a handful of guys around with late-first, early-second-round grades on them, Dallas takes the risk in hopes of snagging one at 40. Denver takes Will Hernandez, who slips out of the first, but the Cowboys remain sure someone they like will be there...

Pick 40: Cowboys select Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama (Brugler: 36th)

Analysis: The Cowboys are thrilled to see Evans still here after both he and Leighton Vander Esch made it to day 2. LVE was selected a few spots ahead of them by the Colts but that left Evans right there. Evans is a technically sound hard-hitting linebacker that lives for the thrill of thumping guys. The Cowboys are looking for a highly-talented linebacker to serve as an expensive insurance policy to Sean Lee or Jaylon Smith now that Anthony Hitchens left in free agency. Dallas is potentially looking to capitalize on Smith’s ability as a SAM rusher which leaves a good opening at MIKE for Evans.

Dallas will likely deploy two linebackers for the majority of their defensive sets, the nod will likely go to Lee and Smith but Evans is incredibly valuable here at 40. He’s going to be an asset to this defense from day one.

***TRADE ALERT***

Without a third-round pick, the Cowboys have to get back in with such an array of talent still left. Dallas has to overpay with Picks 116 + 137 + 192 + 193 (127 points) to the Vikings for pick 94 + 225 (125.2 points). That may seem like a lot to give up, two fourth-rounders and two sixth-rounders but remember the Cowboys still have Pick 106 (from Broncos).

Dallas then uses Pick 106 + 171 (104.6 points) to pry the Bengals second third-round pick at 100th overall (100 points). Though the Cowboys have dealt all their picks in rounds four and five, they worked their way to having four picks in the first two days of the draft.

Pick 94: Cowboys select Jessie Bates, FS, Wake Forest (Brugler: 104th)

Analysis: Bates at this point in the draft is one of the last center-field-types left and the Cowboys want real competition there. He’s a very disciplined player that trusts his instincts which are off the charts. Bates has great awareness to read the quarterback's eyes but also in route anticipation. His closing speed is very good and he wraps up nicely when asked to make the tackle.

Bates may not be the most elite athlete in any given category but he’s well-rounded as a quality defensive back. He’ll give the Cowboys a quality free safety candidate that can compete for the starting spot from the jump.

Pick 100: Cowboys select Wyatt Teller, G, Virginia Tech (Brugler: 109th)

Analysis: The target for coming back into the third round was guard Braden Smith but he didn’t last to pick 94. Still, Teller is no slouch and is one of the top day two prospects in a deep class at guard. Teller switched positions from defensive end to guard and he’s certainly built like a defensive lineman with visible musculature. However, when he’s out there blocking on the second level, he doesn’t look lean in the least bit. Teller is very agile and strong, he’s also learned a few tricks on how to beat pass rushers from his day.

For the Cowboys, Teller will provide a very aggressive starting left guard that uses his superb awareness to set up blocks. He’s one of the best second-level blockers in the class with a high knowledge of setting up screen blocks.

Pick 208: Cowboys select Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa (Brugler: 196th)

Analysis: He’s a big-bodied receiver that has 4.4 speed. Though he has questions about the competition level he faced, Fountain stood out and won the East-West Shrine Game MVP award. He’s a quarterback’s best friend for his surprisingly high understanding of route concepts and how to get separation.

Pick 225: Cowboys select Chase Litton, QB, Marshall (Brugler: 232nd)

Analysis: Jerry Jones stated that the Cowboys would look for a young quarterback to develop instead of a veteran insurance policy. Litton leaves Marshall having started 34 games, fourth in team history in completions (727), fifth for passing yards (8,332), and fifth in passing touchdowns (72).

Pick 236: Cowboys select Ito Smith, RB, Southern Mississippi (Brugler: 230th)

Analysis: Dallas has an empty backfield after All Pro Ezekiel Elliott and backup Rod Smith. They also would like to find a running back with speed that makes things happen in open space. Smith is an undersized runner but he doesn’t have the durability concerns that most guys his size come with. He’s got a compact build and is coming into the NFL with plenty of production. He’ll give the Cowboys a change of pace player that has tremendous upside in the short passing game.

Top two picks are awful. Fountain and Smith are nice though.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Please god, do not let that be how it plays out. I would lose my shit.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Ridiculously convoluted over trading. So we trade 50 and 81 for 33, but apparently with no actual must have target in mind, cause then we immediately move back 7 spots for 40 and 106.

Why not just call someone in the 40-range to begin with and spare losing 81? You can probably move from 50 to 40 without giving up a 3rd. Just stupid. And the picks don’t even make sense.

The guy gave up way too many assets to make sure he checked off need boxes with second rate talents.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Ridiculously convoluted over trading. So we trade 50 and 81 for 33, but apparently with no actual must have target in mind, cause then we immediately move back 7 spots for 40 and 106.

Why not just call someone in the 40-range to begin with and spare losing 81? You can probably move from 50 to 40 without giving up a 3rd. Just stupid. And the picks don’t even make sense.

The guy gave up way too many assets to make sure he checked off need boxes with second rate talents.
Yep, he's done way too many fanspeak mocks

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean I feel a lot better about Evans in the second round. But yeah all the trades are a little crazy. I think I feel better about Bryan in the first than Payne but neither makes me thrilled in the first.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not clicking on a link that has Baker Mayfield on it. It will probably give me the aids.
And I coul see Lubbock Texas in my rear view mirror? (Sing it man.). :art

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Jeez if Derwin James drops all the way to 17 I would be irate if he didn't trade up to snag him. As for Hernandez over Payne, they will both be there. I agree Hernandez is a safer pick but is he a bigger need? Also, they don't even have Wynn going in the first round which is interesting. I would take him over Hernandez.

Cotton

Staff member
Jeez if Derwin James drops all the way to 17 I would be irate if he didn't trade up to snag him. As for Hernandez over Payne, they will both be there. I agree Hernandez is a safer pick but is he a bigger need? Also, they don't even have Wynn going in the first round which is interesting. I would take him over Hernandez.
LG is a big need, and Hernandez to me is WAY better value than Payne at 19. And, I'm still not convinced Wynn is the better guard. I know that is a popular opinion, but at best I see it as a wash. IMO, Hernandez will be the better pro.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
LG is a big need, and Hernandez to me is WAY better value than Payne at 19. And, I'm still not convinced Wynn is the better guard. I know that is a popular opinion, but at best I see it as a wash. IMO, Hernandez will be the better pro.
Yeah I just kind of go off what the pro evaluators say having seen neither of them play. I kind of like that Wynn has some position flex though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
People forget how much Zekes ypc dropped last year as well. The Oline was not as good with our losses last year. I want to get it back to 2016.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
People forget how much Zekes ypc dropped last year as well. The Oline was not as good with our losses last year. I want to get it back to 2016.
Right, and in 2016 Zeke was running behind Leary at LG. And Leary was more of a man handling bruiser. Much like I think Hernandez will be. Nothing against Wynn, but I think Hernandez would be a better fit to dominate his opponent to open things up for Zeke.

Cotton

Staff member
Same, and that's why if Vea et al are not there at 19, I go with Wynn or Hernandez depending in which if either are available.

Cotton

Staff member
Right, and in 2016 Zeke was running behind Leary at LG. And Leary was more of a man handling bruiser. Much like I think Hernandez will be. Nothing against Wynn, but I think Hernandez would be a better fit to dominate his opponent to open things up for Zeke.
Hernandez has that brutal monster mentality that Frederick and Martin have. Like I said, I think he will be a better guard than Wynn in the run game. He is also just as good as Wynn at pass pro, hence why I give him the nudge as the better overall guard.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
19: R1P19
LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH
BOISE STATE

50: R2P18
G WILL HERNANDEZ
UTEP

81: R3P17
S JUSTIN REID
STANFORD

116: R4P16