Random 2018 Mock Drafts Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
At least 3 of those guys had Riddley falling to or past us. Anyone think that really happens? :unsure
I don't think there is any way in hell he makes it to 19.

Cotton

Staff member
Breer's latest:

1. Cleveland: Sam Darnold, QB, USC
Drafting a quarterback high has a lot to do with comfort level, and I think John Dorsey will find himself most comfortable with Darnold—despite his funky delivery—because of his off-the-charts intangibles.

2. N.Y. Giants: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
I’ve put Josh Rosen in this spot consistently. Why did I move him out? My feeling is, in the end, Allen will be a better personality fit with Dave Gettleman and Pat Shurmur.

3. Indianapolis: Bradley Chubb, EDGE, N.C. State
Chubb might be the safest pick in the draft (though that can be the kiss of death, ask Aaron Curry), and he fulfills Chris Ballard’s desire to get more athletically imposing at a premium position.

4. Cleveland (from Houston): Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
Barkley is the draft’s best player, but the non-premium position makes him a wild card. I like the idea of pairing him with a rookie quarterback, like Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott two years ago.

5. Denver: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
The fifth and sixth picks could hinge on where Kirk Cousins lands. I’m going with a Case Keenum/Rosen pairing in Denver, and this could be a grand slam. Rosen is the most gifted QB in this year’s crop.

6. N.Y. Jets: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
This is assuming the Jets get Cousins. Nelson is a generational guard prospect, widely considered better than fellow Irish alum Zack Martin at the same stage. And he’ll bring nastiness.

7. Tampa Bay: Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
What you’re getting here is a Malcolm Jenkins-type player—corner/safety versatility that’s incredibly valuable in today’s NFL—and a front-of-the-program guy.

8. Chicago: Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
The only knock on Ward is that he’s short. Outside of that? He’s worthy to carry on the rich recent lineage of Buckeye DBs going pro. And Vic Fangio will love his ability to play man.

9. San Francisco: Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
Edmunds came on my radar late in the season. He’s a freak, built for the K.J. Wright/De’Vondre Campbell role in the Niners’ Seattle-style scheme.

10. Oakland: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
The Raiders would be lucky in this scenario—their biggest hole would be filled by the best available player. Smith is a heat-seeking sideline-to-sideline linebacker who could man the Oakland middle for a decade.

11. Miami: Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
Call this a hunch. Senior Bowl week once again showed teams Mayfield’s bravado isn’t for everyone, but I like the match with Adam Gase. Ryan Tannehill is turning 30 and has $0 guaranteed left on his deal.

12. Cincinnati: Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma
All eyes were on Marvin Lewis and Andy Dalton last year, but Cincinnati’s biggest problem was the decline of its offensive line. This NFL legacy helps them fix it.

13. Washington: Marcus Davenport, EDGE, Texas-San Antonio
So I really wanted to put Davenport higher than this—and believe he’ll go before 13. Just watch. The converted receiver from a mid-major school will put on a show in Indianapolis.

14. Green Bay: Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
New coordinator Mike Pettine covets corners who can man receivers up, and that’s the rangy Jackson’s specialty. Once a receiver, Jackson is just scratching the surface of his potential.

15. Arizona: Da’Ron Payne, DL, Alabama
New coach Steve Wilks is coming from Carolina, where a dominant defense was built up the middle with stout interior defensive linemen. And Payne is a great value at 15.

16. Baltimore: Connor Williams, OT, Texas
Williams is coming off a knee injury, but was very highly thought of at the beginning of the year. If he’s right, the Ravens can bookend him with Ronnie Stanley for years to come.

17. L.A. Chargers: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
Protecting an aging Philip Rivers is paramount, and Russell Okung is 30. That makes McGlinchey a good candidate to come in as a right tackle/eventual successor at left tackle.

18. Seattle: Derwin James, S, Florida State
James is an incredible athlete and tough as nails, but he didn’t come back from his 2016 knee injury at the level he played at as a freshman. That said, he could be Seattle’s next Kam Chancellor.

19. Dallas: Vita Vea, DT, Washington
There’s a lot of buzz around what this 340-pounder might show athletically in Indianapolis. And a big couple days certainly could bump him higher than this.

20. Detroit: Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College
Landry was well regarded coming into 2017, and had a good, not great final year at BC. But he’s still solid, and seems like Matt Patricia’s kind of player (as well as Ziggy Ansah insurance).

21. Buffalo: Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
I’ve had Sutton higher than this. I’ve since heard teams were a tad disappointed in his 2017 season. But he’s got huge potential, and is both Sean McDermott’s kind of receiver and person.

22. Buffalo (from Kansas City): Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
Marcell Dareus is gone and Kyle Williams is 34 with an expired deal. Yes, Hurst is short, and may not quite look the part. But he produces, and fits the KK Short role in McDermott’s D.

23. Carolina: Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
Oliver is another player who came on my radar late, and fits the NFL’s desire for longer corners. And the Panthers could use a potential star at the position.

24. L.A. Rams: Billy Price, C, Ohio State
Center is vital in Sean McVay’s offense, and John Sullivan filled the role ably last year. But Price has the head and the physical mentality to be an ideal long-term solution there for the Rams.

25. Tennessee: Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
Evans closed the year on fire for the champion Tide, and could pair with or replace impending free agent Avery Williamson.

26. Atlanta: Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
While there are some questions about his instincts, Bryan has all the athleticism and toughness that Dan Quinn looks for in his defensive linemen, and gives the Falcons a layer of depth there.

27. New Orleans: Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
The Saints have fewer pressing needs than they’ve in a while, allowing them to add another young slash weapon to their offense who will also juice to their return units.

28. Pittsburgh: Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
Le’Veon Bell’s gigantic tag number complicates negotiations on a long-term deal, and Guice would give the Steelers a logical heir to the throne.

29. Jacksonville: Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
Unless they deem a QB worthy of going here, the Jags help the one they already have with the most pro-ready receiver in the draft. It’s sensible given Allen Robinson’s uncertain future.

30. Minnesota: Arden Key, EDGE, LSU
I’m really thinking Key will fall out of the first round, and could keep on falling. He has a lot of off-field questions to answer, and wasn’t great on the field last year. His potential, though, is limitless.

31. New England: Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State
The Patriots need pieces in the front seven, and Vander Esch would give them insurance for Dont’a Hightower, as well as perhaps his eventual replacement.

32. Philadelphia: Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
Jason Peters is 36 and expensive, and the Eagles have shown steadfastly that they want to keep Lane Johnson on the right side. So they get a year ahead on left tackle by plucking Miller here.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
another mock where James is gone at 18. *%#! anyone who celebrated that hideous win in Philly.

Cotton

Staff member
The War Room Experiment: How the Cowboys' first four rounds COULD look
By Jeff Cavanaugh 5 hours ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again, mock drafts are fun.

Not just for us. NFL teams themselves conduct a ton of internal mock drafts to prepare themselves for all of the different scenarios that could play out in this beast we refer to as the NFL Draft.

Today I've given myself a title that I'm not sure the folks at The Star in Frisco would embrace. I, Jeff Cavanaugh, am a one-man Dallas Cowboys War Room. I am the GM, the scouts, and the coaches. Congratulations to me!

At this point, I've scouted about 130 of the potential NFL draftees this year. The number will increase to 250-300 by the time the draft rolls around and I'm excited to provide scouting reports to help educate, have discussions and continue the all-around football party here at The Athletic. Today I wanted to give you an example of all that goes in to (hopefully) successfully working your way through a draft.

I went to fanspeak.com, which features a draft simulator. You pick your team, how many rounds you want to pick, where you would like the player rankings to come from. Then you rock and roll.

I selected the NFLDraftScout.com board because a lot of that work is Dane Brugler's. and he's the gold standard for scouting within the media. I picked four rounds because let's be honest, I've scouted 130 guys and I'm not totally prepared to go the full seven yet. Plus, our most important picks will the be the ones in the first four rounds.

I won't type up full scouting reports for every player we pick here because there are enough words for you to read already but as the draft approaches, we will have them for all these players and a whole lot more.

Names start rolling off the board. Names we like for our team. Names that make us happy, angry, sad, elated, depressed. When eighteen have been called, my Cowboys are on the clock. I'll use my personal rankings of players to tell you who we are considering at pick #19. I have five players left with first-round grades when our turn arrives.

In consideration:

Maurice Hurst (DT Michigan)
Isaiah Wynn (OG Georgia)
Mike Hughes (CB UCF)
Harold Landry (DE Boston College)

Derwin James was also available but at this point but I consider that unrealistic. Ronald Jones (RB, USC) has a first round-grade but the Cowboys don't need another runner. He's actually my best player available. But remember, BPA is a lie. BPAWR is real (Editor's Note: BPAWR is a Brugler term that takes 'Best Player Available' and adds 'Within Reason')

For this version of our mock, we will concede to our colleague Bob Sturm and say we have enough resources invested in the offensive line and would rather not use our first rounder there.

Then we'll fight about positional value in our one-man war room. Maurice Hurst is a 3-technique tackle. David Irving is there (for now). Maliek Collins was drafted to play there too. We have an overabundance of defensive ends who can slide inside in pass-rush situations. The starting cornerbacks are already on the roster. Pass rush? There's never been such a thing as enough pass-rushing on a football team. We turn in the name.

Harold Landry, DE, Boston College.

He's a little undersized, not a great player against the run but he's got a whole heap of ability to get after the quarterback. Hey, Kevin Turner profiled Landry this week!

Having picked a player, we meet (we is a strange word in my one-man war room), reorganize our thoughts and make sure our board is squared away. Let's prepare for day two.

Names roll off the board. Names we like. Will there be a pass rusher available at 50 that we like enough to regret taking one in the first round? Kevin Turner sticks his head in and asks why we didn't take Shaquem Griffin in the first round. We mention that we love the player but the missing extremity kept him from having a first or second-round grade. Dak and Zeke swing by to ask why we didn't pick Isaiah Wynn to assure ourselves the greatest offensive line in the history of sporting. By the time that drama has passed, pick #50 has arrived. The Cowboys are on the clock.

In consideration:

Wide receivers Michael Gallup (Colorado State), DJ Moore (Maryland), Anthony Miller (Memphis), Dante Pettis (Washington), DJ Chark (LSU).
Interior OL: James Daniels (Iowa), Billy Price (Ohio State).
Linebacker: Rashaan Evans (Alabama)
Defensive Tackle: Deadrin Senat (USF), Derrick Nnadi (Florida State).
Tight End: Dallas Goedert (South Dakota State), Hayden Hurst (South Carolina).
Cornerback: Jaire Alexander (Louisville), Isaiah Oliver (Colorado).

The battle is on in the war room. First, we smash a laptop because that's what is running this simulated draft. We curse at it and say that it's not realistic that Daniels, Price, Evans, and Alexander are here. We'll leave them alone because we're doing a realistic exercise. Sorry, Cowboys fans.

We're big fans of the two nose tackles left, but by definition, most nose tackles are two-down players. They may be available in the next round. We like all these wide receivers and wonder if this is worth revisiting 31 picks later.

The tight ends? We're a little surprised to have our pick of them, our current tight end is right around 92 years old. Kevin Turner pokes his head in the room and yells “Shaquem Griffin!”. We ignore him and pull the trigger on our tight end of the future (and present).

Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State.

We helped our defense in the first, then tended to the offense in the second and already have a general idea of what might happen with the next pick. So we watch and we wait. The names are rolling. Is there one we like enough that's falling down and may be worth trading up for? Nah. We're good. We're going to let it play out, some of our guys are still there. And we wait for pick #81.

In consideration:

Wide receivers: Michael Gallup, DJ Moore, Dante Pettis.
Defensive Tackles: Derrick Nnadi and Deadrin Senat.
Safety: Armani Watts (Texas A&M) and Jessie Bates (Wake Forest)

The safeties are graded as third-rounders and that's where we are. The wideouts and the interior linemen are graded in the second round. That makes eliminating the safeties easy.

Maybe in a later version of this exercise, we can pick one of the talents above, then look at packaging some picks to move up and grab another. For now, we're making a decision.

The Cowboys' wide receivers are set in terms of salary. I do think it's the group that needs a revamping, similar to the secondary a year ago. However, I just gave my offensive coordinator self a pass-catcher a round ago. My defensive side thinks a really good nose tackle can help upgrade more than just that one spot. He helps my linebackers and my pass rushers.

We're going to invest in the defense.

Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State. Nnadi had double-digit tackles for loss each of the last two years. Better than your standard huge human.

Day two ends. We get ourselves reorganized and prepare for round four the next morning.

Oh hey, it's morning!

The plan now becomes searching the board for talented players who might be falling for one reason or another. The Cowboys usually dedicate their second-round picks to that, but we've been disciplined enough to wait this far. The discipline ends here.

Kevin Turner sticks his head in the door. 'Shaquem Griffin,' he whispers, adding an expletive for Griffin's middle name. We give him the wink and the gun move.

We arrive at pick #138.

It won't be easy to project anyone as a starter here. But that's ok. We pull out the Blue Star Special card, usable for a player who would be picked higher but is/was hurt. We haven't addressed linebacker yet but luckily have a perfect plan in place. We're about to pick two of them here in the fourth round. The first one could have been a second or third round player but tore a pec one year then missed all of this season with a knee injury. We turn in the card.

Jack Cichy, LB, Wisconsin.

Kevin Turner pokes his head in with a raised eyebrow. We tell him not to worry, our first compensatory pick is only 20 picks away. Hang tight.

Shaquem Griffin is picked five picks later. Kevin pokes his head in. We cry. We should have done it the other way around. We're idiots.

Pick #138 is our first compensatory pick. Since we're on tilt and really upset that we let the whole team down, we're going into Joey Gallo mode. Bombs or strikeouts only.

Holton Hill, CB, Texas. Holton defines boom or bust. He's a second-round prospect who couldn't pass certain tests at school. Not the academic ones. Other ones. But the talent is a steal at this point. We're swinging.

With our second comp pick, we turn in our final card for this exercise.

Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State. He's built like a truck and an amazing athlete. Ballage isn't a great running back, but is an incredible receiver out the backfield. He's a fun toy to add to the offense.

It's over. We made the team better. Our final thought is 'Screw realism, we should have taken Derwin James.'

This exercise could play out 100 different ways, but this is today's iteration. We hope you enjoyed it! This article is brought to you by Jeff's temporary Multiple Personality Disorder.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Dallas Cowboys 7-round Mock Draft 4.0: Cowboys get playmaking safety in first round
The draft falls an interesting way but the Cowboys don’t blink.
By Michael Sisemore@MrSisemore Feb 27, 2018, 10:00am CST

Jeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports
It’s another week and another mock draft for the Dallas Cowboys. This week’s mock though is slightly different the past three. Let’s make a mockery of this whole thing, shall we?

As the Cowboys watch the draft unfold, they get a little nervous as there is a run on interior linemen both on offense and defense. However, that does push a few good talents their way. Unfortunately, the Chargers snag safety Derwin James two spots ahead of them. There is no scrambling as Dallas is able to find a proven playmaker:

Pick 19: Cowboys select Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama (Brugler: 27th, 2nd SS)

Analysis: The Cowboys could use a safety with the instincts, athleticism, and ball skills that Harrison possesses. It would also be a nice gift for new secondary coach and passing game coordinator Kris Richard. The former “Legion of Boom” architect will liken Harrison’s enforcer abilities to Kam Chancellor. Harrison has very high football intelligence with comprehensive knowledge of route concepts and understanding of angles in passing lanes. He’s a reliable open-field tackler, can lay the wood but keeps control of his body and isn’t reckless.

Pick 50: Cowboys select James Daniels, G/C, Iowa (Brugler: 51st, 2nd C)

Analysis: His best position is projected to be center but he’s played well at guard and has the temperament for the position. He’s fairly athletic for his size with great agility and balanced strength in his limbs. He can anchor down for the pass but is very solid at making blocks at the second-level in the running game. Daniels is a very dependable player and could step right in at left guard for the Cowboys as they really need to shore up that position.

Pick 81: Cowboys select Deadrin Senat, DT, UCF (Brugler: 90th, 10th DT)

Analysis: This is a pretty deep class at defensive tackle and the Cowboys really need to find a guy to play nose for them. Senat is a thickly-built guy with impressive power and athleticism for 322 pounds. He’s as strong as an ox but he’s also got some juice to chase down ball carriers and make tackles in areas of the field he had no business being in. Senat is a well-rounded athlete that is mild mannered off the field but a run stuffing monster when it’s time to play football. Senat fits the profile of player that the Cowboys need to add some power to their defense.

Pick 116: Cowboys select JMon Moore, WR, Missouri (Brugler: 126th, 15th WR)

Analysis: For a guy that’s 6’3 and built like a big bodied NFL receiver, Moore can really scoot. He’s got explosive speed both straight line and when he makes his cuts. Moore is a very coordinated route runner that can create his own separation with ease. The Cowboys are looking to upgrade their receiver corps and what they need more than ever is someone who can make plays after the catch. Moore really improved in 2017 on his focus after he struggled early on with drops. Moore is a quality deep threat but also has the skill set to dominate in YAC. Dallas needs to find a playmaker to pair with Dez Bryant and Moore’s got a shot.

Pick 137: Cowboys select Fred Warner, LB, BYU (Brugler: 139th, 12th LB)

Analysis: The Cowboys desperately need some depth at linebacker and though Warner isn’t one of the top names, he is one of the more underrated linebackers in this class. Warner was super productive, leading his team with 87 tackles, nine tackles for loss, an interception, and sack in 2017. Warner was on the watchlist for both the Bednarik and Butkus Awards. He’s a high motor guy with great instincts that is only scratching the surface of his potential. Warner is a day-one contributor as a backup who plays special teams.

Pick 171: Cowboys select Zachary Crabtree, OT, Oklahoma State (Brugler: 182nd, 15th OT)

Analysis: Crabtree is the perfect candidate to compete for a swing tackle position and eventually move his way up to a starter if needed. He’s a better pass blocker than run blocker at this point, seeing as he did most of his work out of the shotgun for the Cowboys. He’s got the size, strength, athleticism, and durability to make it in the NFL, he just needs some fine tuning.

Pick 173: Cowboys select Holton Hill, CB, Texas (Brugler: 207th, 26th CB)

Analysis: The fifth round is a spot to start taking chances because Holton Hill is far more talented than his rankings indicate. The problem? You simply can’t trust him to stay out of trouble. Hill has the physical make up of an elite shutdown cornerback. He’s physical and his mean-streak is a good thing. He’s a very intelligent player but his maturity off the field will determine the type of career he has. His talent is undeniable and if not for the immaturity, Hill would be one of the top cornerbacks in this class.

Pick 193: Cowboys select Kylie Fitts, DE, Utah (Brugler: 204th, 17th DE)

Analysis: Fitts showed enough burst and speed off the edge in his short time on the field to receive a Senior Bowl invite and he didn’t disappoint. He’s built really well with strength throughout his body but has struggled to stay out of the trainer’s room the past two seasons. He’s a very passionate player looking for a clean bill of health. He takes his job seriously as a pass rusher but is reliable as ever in run defense too. The Cowboys are just looking for a guy who can fill a role in the rotation.

Pick 208: Cowboys select Ito Smith, RB, Southern Miss (Brugler: 226th, 20th RB)

Analysis: He’s an undersized back that has no durability issues and was a reliable playmaker for his program. He was the lead dog at Southern Miss and has a very transferable skill set in the NFL as a change of pace back that can do a little bit of everything. He’s got smooth hands and great vision which allow him to make plays in space.

Pick 236: Cowboys select Jack Cichy, LB, Wisconsin (Brugler: 232nd, 9th ILB)

Analysis: He’s a guy that deserves to be drafted high because his instincts and physical skill set are all NFL starter caliber but he’s got to stay healthy. Cichy walked on as a freshman, saw one game of action but didn’t play in 2014. Over his time at Wisconsin, he’s missed a total of 24 games tearing his pectoral in 2016 after seven, then an unfortunate ACL tear that kept him off the field this past season. He is the alpha dog leader when he’s in the game. In 2015, he played 12 games, had 60 tackles, eight for loss, five sacks, and four PBUs. If he can put his injuries of the last few seasons behind him, he could reach his potential at the pro level but he’s a major question mark.

Cotton

Staff member
19 is a little high for Ronnie Harrison, isn't it? Besides that, I would be happy with that draft.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Looks good to me.
But I'm convinced that guys like me who want Hernandez are gonna be disappointed if we don't take him in the first. He ain't a' making it out of the first few picks in the second.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks good to me.
But I'm convinced that guys like me who want Hernandez are gonna be disappointed if we don't take him in the first. He ain't a' making it out of the first few picks in the second.
I wouldn't be disappointed if we don't take him but he has sold me with being ok taking a first round Olineman.

Cotton

Staff member
Miller's latest:

19: OG Isaiah Wynn, Georgia
50. Dallas Cowboys—Derrick Nnadi DL FSU
81. Dallas Cowboys—Simmie Cobbs WR Indiana
Dallas Cowboys—Shaun Dion Hamilton LB Alabama
137. Dallas Cowboys—Godwin Igwebuike S Northwestern
171. Dallas Cowboys—Cedrick Wilson WR Boise State
173. Dallas Cowboys—Siran Neal S Jacksonville St
193. Dallas Cowboys—Peter Kalambayi EDGE Stanford
208. Dallas Cowboys—Durham Smythe TE Notre Dame
236. Dallas Cowboys—Michael Joseph CB Dubuque

Full mock at http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2762798-2018-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-7-round-predictions-post-combine?share=twitter.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Miller's latest:

19: OG Isaiah Wynn, Georgia
50. Dallas Cowboys—Derrick Nnadi DL FSU
81. Dallas Cowboys—Simmie Cobbs WR Indiana
Dallas Cowboys—Shaun Dion Hamilton LB Alabama
137. Dallas Cowboys—Godwin Igwebuike S Northwestern
171. Dallas Cowboys—Cedrick Wilson WR Boise State
173. Dallas Cowboys—Siran Neal S Jacksonville St
193. Dallas Cowboys—Peter Kalambayi EDGE Stanford
208. Dallas Cowboys—Durham Smythe TE Notre Dame
236. Dallas Cowboys—Michael Joseph CB Dubuque

Full mock at http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2762798-2018-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-7-round-predictions-post-combine?share=twitter.
No wikey after the 1st round.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Michael Joseph from Dubuque is legit, Smythe would be fine late too.

Nnadi would be ok in the 2nd but there are alot of legit guys we're passing up there for him.

Cotton

Staff member
From one of the draftniks on Twitter, Marcus Mosher:

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
FWST

Here are the names NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will be announcing in Arlington:

1. Cleveland Browns. Sam Darnold, QB, USC. General manager John Dorsey uses the top overall pick for a franchise quarterback candidate. They just hope he doesn’t end up like … well, Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden or Johnny Manziel, their other first-round QBs in the last 20 years.

2. New York Giants. Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State. The Giants need a quarterback of the future, but Barkley is simply too intriguing to pass up.

3. Indianapolis Colts. Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State. The Colts had one of the worst pass rushes in the league last season. Chubb helps fix that.

4. Cleveland Browns. Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama. The Browns landed a cornerstone player on offense with Darnold. Now they add a cornerstone piece on defense.

5. Denver Broncos. Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame. The thought for now is that the Broncos win the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes. He’ll love having arguably the best player in the draft blocking for him.

6. New York Jets. Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA. The Jets roll the dice on the talented, but polarizing, young passer.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Marcus Davenport, DE, UT-San Antonio. The Bucs had the fewest sacks of any team in the league. This addresses a glaring need.

8. Chicago Bears. Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech. Matt Nagy is an offensive-minded coach, but addresses his defense with the versatile Edmunds.

9. San Francisco 49ers. Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State. Shutdown corners don’t grow on trees and Ward has the makings of being a star at the next level.

10. Oakland Raiders. Vita Vea, DT, Washington. Vea is a run-stuffing DT who should make it easier for Khalil Mack and Bruce Irvin to get to the QB.

11. Miami Dolphins. Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming. There isn’t a better arm in the draft and it’ll be up to Adam Gase to ensure Allen’s accuracy develops in the pros.

12. Dallas Cowboys (from Cincinnati). Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia. With Anthony Hitchens likely bolting in free agency, the Cowboys make a bold move up the board to get one of the top defensive players in the draft.

13. Washington Redskins. Derwin James, SS, Florida State. He’s drawn comparisons to Sean Taylor and Ed Reed. The Redskins will be pleased if he’s available here.

14. Green Bay Packers. Mike Hughes, CB, Central Florida. The Packers need cornerback help, and Hughes has upside. He had four interceptions and 11 passes defended last season for the undefeated Golden Knights.

15. Arizona Cardinals. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma. The Heisman Trophy winner could be long gone by now, but not in our mock and he is the Cardinals’ choice.

16. Baltimore Ravens. Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama. Ridley is the best receiver in this class and the Ravens need to upgrade their receiving corps and give Joe Flacco more weapons.

17. Los Angeles Chargers. Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State. Rudolph has worked out with Philip Rivers this off-season and would love to study under him. Why not make it happen with Rivers turning 37 this season?

18. Seattle Seahawks. Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa. With the possible departures of safety Earl Thomas and corner Richard Sherman, why not add another long-term piece to the “Legion of Boom?” Jackson had 27 passes defended and eight interceptions for the Hawkeyes last season.

19. Cincinnati Bengals (from Dallas). Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame. The Bengals bolster their O-line with a player, McGlinchey, who can start at right or left tackle. New line coach Frank Pollack gets a talented player to work with from the start.

20. Detroit Lions. Da’Ron Payne, DT, Alabama. Payne is the best player on the board at this point and is a talent in the trenches that will help every level of the defense. He also has flexibility whether new coach Matt Patricia is running a 3-4 or 4-3.

21. Buffalo Bills. Billy Price, OG/C, Ohio State. Eric Wood retired, leaving an opening at center in Buffalo. Why not take the best one in the draft? Price sustained a torn pec during the Combine, but expects to be ready by training camp.

22. Buffalo Bills. Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan. There is concern about a heart condition that forced him to leave the Combine, but Hurst is a promising three-technique lineman.

23. Los Angeles Rams. Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State. The Rams addressed the secondary by trading for Marcus Peters. Now they can target a pass rusher who had 17 sacks in three seasons at Ohio State.

24. Charlotte Panthers. Connor Williams, OT, Texas. The Panthers need to bolster their offensive line and Williams gives them a prospect who could be used at guard or tackle for a long time in the league.

25. Tennessee Titans. Isaiah Wynn, OG, Georgia. The Titans add another piece to their formidable offensive line with Wynn joining the likes of Taylor Lewan and Jack Conklin.

26. Atlanta Falcons. Taven Bryan, DT, Florida. Bryan is a raw prospect, but has the physical tools that project well to him becoming an elite three-technique tackle.

27. New Orleans Saints. Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State. Drew Brees gets another weapon in hopes of making another push for a championship.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville. The Steelers begin thinking long-term and of life without Ben Roethlisberger with the talented Jackson sitting here.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars. Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M. The Jaguars didn’t have a 1,000-yard receiver and the leader in TD receptions was veteran tight end Marcedes Lewis with five. They need more playmakers for QB Blake Bortles.

30. Minnesota Vikings. Arden Key, DE, LSU. The Vikings had the top overall defense last season, but were a middle-of-the-road unit in getting to the quarterback. Key helps in that department as one of the better pass rushers in this draft.

31. New England Patriots. Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma. Brown’s stock took a hit with a poor showing at the Combine, but his game film doesn’t lie. If Nate Solder bolts in free agency, the Patriots would love to see Brown nosedive to them.

32. Philadelphia Eagles. Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama. A physical linebacker with power and speed? Sounds like the Eagles’ kind of player.

Cotton

Staff member
I am not in favor of moving that far up. This draft has way too much middle round talent to be giving up crazy picks. Not even for Roquan Smith.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
agreed. we're not one LB away from glory. no Hernandez on that list. hmmm.

Cotton

Staff member

They have us taking DJ Moore at 19.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not in favor of moving that far up. This draft has way too much middle round talent to be giving up crazy picks. Not even for Roquan Smith.
Yeah I like Smith a lot but he'd have to be the type of guy that can totally transform our defense on his own to justify the picks lost in that move up. And I don't see him as that type of player.

Top Bottom