Random 2018 Mock Drafts Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does Hamilton really have crap hands or just those drops at the senior bowl? Cause, not sure that can be taught (see TWill).
His hands were great all week. Not really sure what happened at the game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you read some scouting reports, his hands are a knock on him.
It's not really like Terrance Williams though. He isn't a body catcher. You'll see Hamilton's hands be referred to as "concentration drops." He has the hands, it's just that he sort of inexplicably drops some balls, which is what we saw in the Senior Bowl Game. I'm not sure Hamilton is the guy I want yet (In the middle rounds) or not but I do like the combination of size and route running ability to get separation.

Guys like Dante Pettis, Antonio Callaway, Jordan Lasley, and Deontay Burnett aren't even getting talked about right now who I really like.

I think my late round sleeper right now at WR would be Daurice Fountain out of Northern Iowa. Just a very explosive guy who has good size and showed extremely well during the Shrine game as well.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Hamilton definitely has a history of drops but he's not a body catcher like Williams at all, which is simply infuriating and can more easily lead to INT's.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Guys like Dante Pettis, Antonio Callaway, Jordan Lasley, and Deontay Burnett aren't even getting talked about right now who I really like.
I like Pettis a lot. Callaway and Lasley have attitude problems that I don't think we even mess with.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm not even going to post Easterling's latest it's so dumb. He has us taking Auden Tate at 50. FOH

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was a drummed up assault charge. These two have legitimate character issues.
Yeah I haven't paid much attention to Lasley's issues. Callaway I'm aware of but gosh he is talented. I'm assuming his issues will push him down far enough that it may be feasible that the Cowboys overlook those issues. We have no problem taking chances on guys like that but the risks have to be mitigated substantially usually first.

I've seen Lasley listed as a bit of a head case but I don't know much more than that.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Dallas Cowboys Mock Draft 1.0: (Mockery I) full seven-round mock with (projected) compensatory picks

Dallas Cowboys Mock Draft 1.0: (Mockery I) full seven-round mock with (projected) compensatory picks

No better way to put the entire 2017 letdown behind us then to stay in our lane and focus on the 2018 NFL Draft. What do the Dallas Cowboys need? That’s a good debate. The good news is that the Cowboys will have plenty of draft picks to spend as the 2018 NFL Draft takes over North Texas come April.

For our first mock, we typically ease into it without “Trader Jerry” making an appearance until later in the process. Let’s get started as we make a mockery of the NFL Draft:

[Note: We use Dane Brugler and NFL Draft Scout for our player rankings. Brugler has become one of the more respected draftniks around co-hosting The Draft Show on the Mothership alongside Bryan Broaddus and David Helman.]

Pick 19: The Dallas Cowboys select Isaiah Wynn, OG, Georgia (Brugler: 25th)

Analysis: With Wynn, the Cowboys get a plug-and-play left guard to start immediately on the offensive line. Dallas really struggled in the last seven games of the season to protect Dak Prescott on the left side of the line.

Wynn has an aggressive temperament that is needed in the Cowboys’ run heavy scheme. Wynn was one of the best run blocking linemen in the country and is also more than dependable in pass protection. He’ll be a day one starter for the Cowboys and will fit very well with the other three All-Pro first round picks.

Pick 50: The Dallas Cowboys select DJ Moore, WR, Maryland (Brugler: 62nd)

Analysis: Moore has a lot of similarities to future Hall of Famer Steve Smith Sr. He’s a bit on the smaller side but he’s built like a running back and is extremely efficient. Despite having four different quarterbacks, Moore was able to be productive with 80 receptions, 1,033 yards, and eight touchdowns.

Moore is the exact type of receiver the Cowboys need, someone who constantly beats his competition. Moore creates separation with regularity and he’s a true complement to what the Cowboys have in Dez Bryant.

Pick 81: The Dallas Cowboys select Marcus Allen, S, Penn State (Brugler: 84th)

Analysis: Allen will fit the Cowboys secondary under Kris Richard who will be looking for a more aggressive safety. He recorded 72 tackles, three PBU’s, two forced fumbles, and an interception in 2017 for the Nittany Lions. Allen is the godson of NFL Hall of Famer, Curtis Martin.

The Cowboys have a young secondary but there is still some room for improvement on the back end. Allen is a fearless player and will give his body to the cause. He doesn’t miss many tackles even if his speed isn’t top of the line. His instincts combined with his tenacious attitude will serve him well in the NFL.

Pick 117: The Dallas Cowboys select Poona Ford, DT, Texas (Brugler: 120th)

Analysis: It’s an absolute slap to the face that he was snubbed for a Combine invitation as Brugler says there certainly aren’t 300 players better than Ford in this draft. Ford is a run-stuffing tackle that give you his all as a pass rusher as well. He may only be 6’0 but he gives absolute effort on every play. He’s had plenty of success taking on double teams and busting up protection.

He does have decent length in his arms to reach through blocks and finish the ball carrier. Ford is going to be pigeon-holed into a 4-3 scheme and he would be a dream for Rod Marinelli, who is more than capable of getting everything out of Poona Ford.

Pick 138: The Dallas Cowboys select Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State (Brugler: 130th)

Analysis: Lewis is a project that is likely going to start out as a situational rusher. In the Cowboys 4-3 scheme, Lewis does have potential to kick inside on passing downs but he has a lot to learn in the way of becoming a good run defender. Lewis flashed well at Ohio State but as the Buckeyes brought on depth, Lewis’ role diminished. He is a twitched up pass rusher that has shown to be often too fast for guards and tackles to handle. There is a lot to work with form Tyquan Lewis.

Pick 139: The Dallas Cowboys select Nick DeLuca, LB, North Dakota State (Brugler: 141st)

Analysis: Here’s a small school prospect with a ton of production that you don’t want to count out at any level. DeLuca will come with durability concerns as he’s played through a couple of injuries. He’s another try-hard player that will give a team everything he has. He’s the only FCS player to be nominated for the Dick Butkus Award for linebackers. He’ll walk into the league making the roster as a special teamer with ability to backup at middle linebacker.

Pick 174: The Dallas Cowboys select Siran Neal, S/CB, Jacksonville State (Brugler: 164th)

Analysis: It’s going to take the right scheme fit for Neal but he’s got experience as a corner and safety. He’s built well at 6’0, 200 lbs, but he’s more of a strong safety at the line than playing single high. He played mostly as a cornerback at the Senior Bowl, where he played well enough to give James Washington some fits. He’s very solid in man coverage but needs to work on his technique.

Pick 176: The Dallas Cowboys select Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa (Brugler: 184th)

Analysis: You witnessed what teams can do with a scat back when the Eagles hoisted a Lombardi trophy with Corey Clement. The Cowboys are trying to create a “Dak-Friendly” environment and Wadley can help. He’s got game changing speed and is an amazing pass-catching mismatch that will find plenty of opportunities in the NFL. The Cowboys need to add talent that makes plays in open space and that’s Wadley all the way.

Pick 196: The Dallas Cowboys select Toby Weathersby, OT, LSU (Brugler: 196th)

Analysis: He’s got the perfect makeup for a swing tackle position in the NFL. He’s got the size at 6’6, 308 lbs and he carries it well. Weathersby gets in an out of his stance with balance and quickness. He’s very athletic and has a solid punch that can daze a pass rusher. He’s far more accomplished as a pass blocker and gets clunky in his lower half at times. He’ll need some work to clean up technique but he’s got the upside and NFL traits.

Pick 236: The Dallas Cowboys select Steven Dunbar, WR, Houston (Brugler: —)

Analysis: This is where you take a guy that you really don’t want to fight for in free agency. Dunbar has a great combination of size, quickness, and route running abilities. He stood out despite the quarterback situation catching 76 passes, leading the team with 1,070 yards, and three touchdowns. Dunbar is the perfect possession receiver that runs great routes but doesn’t have deep speed to take the top off a defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No better way to put the entire 2017 letdown behind us then to stay in our lane and focus on the 2018 NFL Draft. What do the Dallas Cowboys need? That’s a good debate. The good news is that the Cowboys will have plenty of draft picks to spend as the 2018 NFL Draft takes over North Texas come April.
I'd be all for that draft. I'm not overly excited about taking a fourth first round draft pick on the O-line but Wynn has grown on me. And honestly I love most of that draft all the way through. DJ Moore is a really good WR. Marcus Allen gives us the safety we need, Ford gives us the excellent run plugging NT, Lewis is a nice player to develop, DeLuca is a perfect understudy to Sean Lee, and Wadley is what we are missing for a complimentary RB with explosive ability.

The other guys I don't know a ton about and probably have pet cats I'd prefer but I really can't complain with this haul. It addresses our biggest needs on offense and defense. I'd like to grab a TE in there somewhere instead of say Siran Neal but that's getting a little nit picky. I guess I'd just hope that Rico pans out next year.

Cotton

Staff member
I'd be all for that draft. I'm not overly excited about taking a fourth first round draft pick on the O-line but Wynn has grown on me. And honestly I love most of that draft all the way through. DJ Moore is a really good WR. Marcus Allen gives us the safety we need, Ford gives us the excellent run plugging NT, Lewis is a nice player to develop, DeLuca is a perfect understudy to Sean Lee, and Wadley is what we are missing for a complimentary RB with explosive ability.

The other guys I don't know a ton about and probably have pet cats I'd prefer but I really can't complain with this haul. It addresses our biggest needs on offense and defense. I'd like to grab a TE in there somewhere instead of say Siran Neal but that's getting a little nit picky. I guess I'd just hope that Rico pans out next year.
Yeah, I would be happy with that draft. No homerun splashes, but really solid throughout.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I would be happy with that draft. No homerun splashes, but really solid throughout.
Pretty much, it addresses basically all of our needs except TE and does so with really solid players that I think have extremely low bust potential. We would get significant use of all the guys I mentioned.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dan Kadar runs Mocking The Draft and he posted this on Twitter from some Bucs fan on Reddit.

Holy shit, the dude apparently took weeks to write it and was peeing in a bottle the entire time.

Pretty sad he ruined the effect by having Dallas take Alabama RB Damien Harris, who is returning to school. :doh

Anyways, here is his offseason and draft.

Apparently he is predicting Dallas cuts Bryant (who ends up with Indy, along with Hitchens). He also sees the Raiders cutting Crabtree, who Dallas signs.

FA:
Danny Woodhead, RB
Michael Crabtree, WR
Jonathan Cooper, OG
DeMarcus Lawrence, DE

Draft:
(1,24) Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
(2,50) Martinas Rankin, OG/OT, Mississippi State
(3,78) Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina
(3,88) Trenton Thompson, DT, Georgia
(4,114) Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama

D

Deuce

Draft:
SEC powered. Larry Lacewell would be proud.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dan Kadar runs Mocking The Draft and he posted this on Twitter from some Bucs fan on Reddit.

Holy shit, the dude apparently took weeks to write it and was peeing in a bottle the entire time.

Pretty sad he ruined the effect by having Dallas take Alabama RB Damien Harris, who is returning to school. :doh

Anyways, here is his offseason and draft.

Apparently he is predicting Dallas cuts Bryant (who ends up with Indy, along with Hitchens). He also sees the Raiders cutting Crabtree, who Dallas signs.

FA:
Danny Woodhead, RB
Michael Crabtree, WR
Jonathan Cooper, OG
DeMarcus Lawrence, DE

Draft:
I guess if you stay up non stop writing a 44 page diatribe like this you're bound to make at least one mistake. His free agency for us is silly but the draft at least makes sense. Ridley, Rankin and Hurst while SEC heavy are all at least solid picks.

Cotton

Staff member
Cavanaugh: Mock Draft 1.0
Jeff Cavanaugh 21 hours ago

In Cavanaugh draft 1.0 I present to you my first shot at what the first round could look like. Dig in.

1. Cleveland Browns – Sam Darnold, QB, USC

By the time I finish evaluating QBs I might slide Baker Mayfield into this spot, but this is the NFL where physical gifts get you drafted higher. Cleveland has passed on enough potential franchise players in recent years and they can't do it again. Now Sam, please stop throwing interceptions.

2. New York Giants – Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

The Giants are in an interesting spot because Eli Manning is nearing the end of his career and it's tempting to pick someone to help him win. However, the Giants aren't planning to return to this range of the draft anytime soon and can't pass on the potential of their next franchise QB.

3. Indianapolis Colts – Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State

This isn't a deep pass-rushing class. Chubb is the one guy in this draft who's able to contribute right away against the run and as a pass rusher at a high level.

4. Cleveland Browns – Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

I call Fitzpatrick a DB because on tape he mostly plays the slot for Alabama, but he has the athletic traits and length to be an outside corner if a team wants to put him there. Cleveland should try that. I would pass on Saquon Barkley here because the RB class is incredibly deep and spending a top five pick isn't necessary.

5. Denver Broncos – Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

I don't doubt there's an NFL team that might take Josh Allen before Baker Mayfield but it'd be a strange decision from John Elway. He's already tried Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch. Enough of the prototype measurables; pick the best football player.

6. New York Jets – Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame

On a team that needs plenty of help we're going to take the best player in the draft and move along. The QB spot isn't filled but I didn't want to drop Josh Allen on them. They have enough developmental guys that won't make it (EDITOR'S NOTE: In case you hadn't noticed, Jeff is a big fan of Josh Allen and has unassailable faith in his future).

7. Tampa Bay Bucs – Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State.

Barkley is a special athletic talent with special skills. He's' incredibly dangerous not just as a runner but as a pass catcher and blocker.

8. Chicago Bears – Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

Mitchell Trubisky needs someone to throw to. Ridley's explosiveness as a route runner gives him a receiver who can create separation and make throws easy for him.

9. San Francisco 49ers (I flipped a coin just as they will before the draft for picks 9/10) – Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State

He's a little bit undersized but Ward doesn't allow receivers to separate and is super-competitive at the catch point. He makes a ton of plays on the ball.

10. Oakland Raiders – Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

Another undersized badass finds a home. Smith's play speed and ability to play sideline-to-sideline are outstanding. He's as fluid as a defensive back and hits like a truck.

11. Miami Dolphins – Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech

Edmunds is a full sized, athletic three-down linebacker that's also incredibly young. He'll continue to improve taking advantage of the prototypical linebacker build that he has.

12. Cincinnati Bengals – Connor Williams, OT, Texas

They're hoping to get the 2016 version of Connor Williams that looked like a top ten pick. They're praying they don't get the 2017 version who failed to play like a first round player even before his injury.

13. Washington Redskins – Vita Vea, DT, Washington

I can't resist a pick that puts Vita Vea and Jonathan Allen next to each other on the field. Offensive lines everywhere are going to wake up sore.

14. Green Bay Packers – Mike Hughes, CB, Central Florida

The Packers still need help at corner and Hughes is a stout, press-happy man-coverage player. Physical, fast and fearless.

15. Arizona Cardinals – Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

The whole world says Allen is going in the first round so I have to put him somewhere. I'd be terrified to make this pick.

16. Baltimore Ravens – Ronald Jones, RB, USC

Jones has been underrated so far in the draft process. He's an excellent runner with a great feel for the position who can hit home runs.

17. Los Angeles Chargers – Derwin James, DB, Florida State

James is a hybrid player who can play both safety spots and is an excellent blitzer. He's still a little bit raw but has the ability and athleticism of a top ten pick.

18. Seattle Seahawks – Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

For the first time in half a decade, Seattle is going to pretend the offensive line matters. It's part of a bold new initiative to keep Russell Wilson from running for his life on every snap.

19. Dallas Cowboys – Isaiah Wynn, OG, Georgia

The Bulldogs' left tackle doesn't have the ideal height for the spot and moved to guard at the Senior Bowl. He was outstanding. He'll be a step-in starter and a very good one.

20. Detroit Lions – James Daniels, C, Iowa

Daniels has some of the steadiest tape in the class. Another plug and play offensive lineman that will improve Detroit up front.

21. Buffalo Bills – Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan

They need help filling the void that Marcel Dareus left but they'll have to find a nose tackle later. Here they get a disruptive interior penetrator.

22. Buffalo Bills – Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

I'm ruining my own dream of Lamar in Jacksonville but Buffalo doesn't seem to a fan of Tyrod Taylor and Peterman is not the answer

23. Los Angeles Rams – Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa

In coverage and as a ballhawk Jackson is as good as anyone in this class. His willingness to be physical as a tackler needs to be improved on.

24. Carolina Panthers – DJ Moore, WR, Maryland

Carolina is no stranger to the short wide receiver and when you watch Moore play, there are shades of Steve Smith in his game. He plays so much bigger than he is and is tough to deal with after the catch.

25. Tennessee Titans – Harold Landry, Edge, Boston College

Landry wasn't able to duplicate his 16.5 sack junior season because he was banged up. His natural ability to win the edge and get to QBs is more than enough to make him a first-round pick.

26. Atlanta Falcons – Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

His tape in the title game is absolutely first round-quality. Has the power to play the nose tackle and some quickness to help with pass rush.

27. New Orleans Saints – Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St.

Goedert is an easy catcher of the football no matter where it's thrown, with the physical ability to run a variety of routes and create separation. Brees will have fun with him.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers – Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

Evans just feels like a Steeler. He's a versatile piece that plays with power and aggression and can rush the passer as well.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars – Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP

Hernandez is a walking refrigerator with much better feet than you'd expect from a man of his massive proportions and small school background.

30. Minnesota Vikings – Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville

Alexander makes plays on the ball in man and zone coverage. He has the twitchiness you look for and finishes plays when he has a chance. You can read that as 'he can catch.' He's a low tackler, which does make him miss some.

31. New England Patriots – Marcus Davenport, Edge, UTSA

The rich get richer. Davenport is incredibly raw but has all the physical gifts you could want in an edge player. Really good power from a guy as lean as he is.

32. Philadelphia Eagles – James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State.

There's no need for Philly to keep Torrey Smith around when they can upgrade from their deep threat.

Top Bottom