Originally posted by boozeman
    PICK
    17 - Chargers

Rashaan Evans - LB, Alabama

A DT is also a possibility here.

PICK
    18 - Seahawks

Arden Key - DE, LSU

With questions about whether Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril will be with the Seahawks next season, a pass rusher will be needed.

PICK
    19 - Cowboys

Taven Bryan - DT, Florida

Bryan has excellent upfield quickness. He fits Rod Marinelli's scheme.PICK
    30 - Vikings

Derwin James - S, FSU

Solidifies the safety position opposite Harrison Smith.
    These 4 picks alone are stupid.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Iamtdg View Post
      I dunno if he is just trying to be edgy or not. But they were just completely out of left field. It would help if he gave more than a four word explanation.

Comment

Every draft you see has no continutity to anyone else’s. I therefore conclude that now is the prime time to be as accurate as anyone else.
        Since Day One

Comment

Originally posted by Iamtdg View Post
          It's one thing to be different but you have to at least stay in the realm of realistic. This stuff is just a joke.

Comment

Matt Miller's latest:

1. Cleveland Browns: QB Sam Darnold, USC

2. New York Giants: RB Saquon Barkley, Penn State

3. Indianapolis Colts: DE Bradley Chubb, North Carolina State

4. Cleveland (from Houston): DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama

5. Denver Broncos: QB Josh Rosen, UCLA

6. New York Jets: QB Josh Allen, Wyoming

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: S Derwin James, Florida State

8. Chicago Bears: OG Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame

9. San Francisco 49ers (coin flip): LB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech

10. Oakland Raiders (coin flip): CB Denzel Ward, Ohio State

11. Miami Dolphins: QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

12. Cincinnati Bengals: LB Roquan Smith, Georgia

13. Washington: LB Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State

14. Green Bay Packers: EDGE Marcus Davenport, UT-San Antonio

15. Arizona Cardinals: OT Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame

16. Baltimore Ravens: WR Calvin Ridley, Alabama

17. Los Angeles Chargers: OT Connor Williams, Texas

18. Seattle Seahawks: G/C Billy Price, Ohio State

19. Dallas Cowboys: DT Da'Ron Payne, Alabama

20. Detroit Lions: EDGE Harold Landry, Boston College

21. Buffalo Bills: LB Rashaan Evans, Alabama

22. Buffalo (from Kansas City): C James Daniels, Iowa

23. Los Angeles Rams: CB Josh Jackson, Iowa

24. Carolina Panthers: OG Isaiah Wynn, Georgia

25. Tennessee Titans: EDGE Sam Hubbard, Ohio State

26. Atlanta Falcons: DT Maurice Hurst, Michigan

27. New Orleans Saints: TE Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State

28. Pittsburgh Steelers: LB Malik Jefferson, Texas

29. Jacksonville Jaguars: OG Will Hernandez, UTEP

30. Minnesota Vikings: OT Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

31. New England Patriots: CB Isaiah Oliver, Colorado

32. Philadelphia Eagles: CB Mike Hughes, UCF

This is fucking terrible.

Comment

obviously not sold on Vea

Comment

Originally posted by bbgun View Post
                obviously not sold on Vea
                Yet he has the likes of Vander Esch, Brian Price and Rashaan Evans going in the first.

Comment

Shit if we didn't take Vea with the draft falling that shitily for us otherwise, I would freak.
                  I was on the draft LVE train. I was for trading for Amari before it happened.
                  'nuff said

Comment

Charles Davis latest has us taking Ridley at 19.

The full mock: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...d-qb-of-future

Comment

• At least 3 of those guys had Riddley falling to or past us. Anyone think that really happens?

Comment

• Originally posted by fortsbest View Post
                        At least 3 of those guys had Riddley falling to or past us. Anyone think that really happens?
                        I don't think there is any way in hell he makes it to 19.

Comment

• Breer's latest:

1. Cleveland: Sam Darnold, QB, USC
                          Drafting a quarterback high has a lot to do with comfort level, and I think John Dorsey will find himself most comfortable with Darnold—despite his funky delivery—because of his off-the-charts intangibles.

2. N.Y. Giants: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
                          I’ve put Josh Rosen in this spot consistently. Why did I move him out? My feeling is, in the end, Allen will be a better personality fit with Dave Gettleman and Pat Shurmur.

3. Indianapolis: Bradley Chubb, EDGE, N.C. State
                          Chubb might be the safest pick in the draft (though that can be the kiss of death, ask Aaron Curry), and he fulfills Chris Ballard’s desire to get more athletically imposing at a premium position.

4. Cleveland (from Houston): Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
                          Barkley is the draft’s best player, but the non-premium position makes him a wild card. I like the idea of pairing him with a rookie quarterback, like Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott two years ago.

5. Denver: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
                          The fifth and sixth picks could hinge on where Kirk Cousins lands. I’m going with a Case Keenum/Rosen pairing in Denver, and this could be a grand slam. Rosen is the most gifted QB in this year’s crop.

6. N.Y. Jets: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
                          This is assuming the Jets get Cousins. Nelson is a generational guard prospect, widely considered better than fellow Irish alum Zack Martin at the same stage. And he’ll bring nastiness.

7. Tampa Bay: Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
                          What you’re getting here is a Malcolm Jenkins-type player—corner/safety versatility that’s incredibly valuable in today’s NFL—and a front-of-the-program guy.

8. Chicago: Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
                          The only knock on Ward is that he’s short. Outside of that? He’s worthy to carry on the rich recent lineage of Buckeye DBs going pro. And Vic Fangio will love his ability to play man.

9. San Francisco: Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
                          Edmunds came on my radar late in the season. He’s a freak, built for the K.J. Wright/De’Vondre Campbell role in the Niners’ Seattle-style scheme.

10. Oakland: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
                          The Raiders would be lucky in this scenario—their biggest hole would be filled by the best available player. Smith is a heat-seeking sideline-to-sideline linebacker who could man the Oakland middle for a decade.

11. Miami: Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
                          Call this a hunch. Senior Bowl week once again showed teams Mayfield’s bravado isn’t for everyone, but I like the match with Adam Gase. Ryan Tannehill is turning 30 and has $0 guaranteed left on his deal.

12. Cincinnati: Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma
                          All eyes were on Marvin Lewis and Andy Dalton last year, but Cincinnati’s biggest problem was the decline of its offensive line. This NFL legacy helps them fix it.

13. Washington: Marcus Davenport, EDGE, Texas-San Antonio
                          So I really wanted to put Davenport higher than this—and believe he’ll go before 13. Just watch. The converted receiver from a mid-major school will put on a show in Indianapolis.

14. Green Bay: Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
                          New coordinator Mike Pettine covets corners who can man receivers up, and that’s the rangy Jackson’s specialty. Once a receiver, Jackson is just scratching the surface of his potential.

15. Arizona: Da’Ron Payne, DL, Alabama
                          New coach Steve Wilks is coming from Carolina, where a dominant defense was built up the middle with stout interior defensive linemen. And Payne is a great value at 15.

16. Baltimore: Connor Williams, OT, Texas
                          Williams is coming off a knee injury, but was very highly thought of at the beginning of the year. If he’s right, the Ravens can bookend him with Ronnie Stanley for years to come.

17. L.A. Chargers: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
                          Protecting an aging Philip Rivers is paramount, and Russell Okung is 30. That makes McGlinchey a good candidate to come in as a right tackle/eventual successor at left tackle.

18. Seattle: Derwin James, S, Florida State
                          James is an incredible athlete and tough as nails, but he didn’t come back from his 2016 knee injury at the level he played at as a freshman. That said, he could be Seattle’s next Kam Chancellor.

19. Dallas: Vita Vea, DT, Washington
                          There’s a lot of buzz around what this 340-pounder might show athletically in Indianapolis. And a big couple days certainly could bump him higher than this.

20. Detroit: Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College
                          Landry was well regarded coming into 2017, and had a good, not great final year at BC. But he’s still solid, and seems like Matt Patricia’s kind of player (as well as Ziggy Ansah insurance).

21. Buffalo: Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
                          I’ve had Sutton higher than this. I’ve since heard teams were a tad disappointed in his 2017 season. But he’s got huge potential, and is both Sean McDermott’s kind of receiver and person.

22. Buffalo (from Kansas City): Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
                          Marcell Dareus is gone and Kyle Williams is 34 with an expired deal. Yes, Hurst is short, and may not quite look the part. But he produces, and fits the KK Short role in McDermott’s D.

23. Carolina: Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
                          Oliver is another player who came on my radar late, and fits the NFL’s desire for longer corners. And the Panthers could use a potential star at the position.

24. L.A. Rams: Billy Price, C, Ohio State
                          Center is vital in Sean McVay’s offense, and John Sullivan filled the role ably last year. But Price has the head and the physical mentality to be an ideal long-term solution there for the Rams.

25. Tennessee: Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
                          Evans closed the year on fire for the champion Tide, and could pair with or replace impending free agent Avery Williamson.

26. Atlanta: Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
                          While there are some questions about his instincts, Bryan has all the athleticism and toughness that Dan Quinn looks for in his defensive linemen, and gives the Falcons a layer of depth there.

27. New Orleans: Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
                          The Saints have fewer pressing needs than they’ve in a while, allowing them to add another young slash weapon to their offense who will also juice to their return units.

28. Pittsburgh: Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
                          Le’Veon Bell’s gigantic tag number complicates negotiations on a long-term deal, and Guice would give the Steelers a logical heir to the throne.

29. Jacksonville: Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
                          Unless they deem a QB worthy of going here, the Jags help the one they already have with the most pro-ready receiver in the draft. It’s sensible given Allen Robinson’s uncertain future.

30. Minnesota: Arden Key, EDGE, LSU
                          I’m really thinking Key will fall out of the first round, and could keep on falling. He has a lot of off-field questions to answer, and wasn’t great on the field last year. His potential, though, is limitless.

31. New England: Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State
                          The Patriots need pieces in the front seven, and Vander Esch would give them insurance for Dont’a Hightower, as well as perhaps his eventual replacement.

32. Philadelphia: Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
                          Jason Peters is 36 and expensive, and the Eagles have shown steadfastly that they want to keep Lane Johnson on the right side. So they get a year ahead on left tackle by plucking Miller here.

Comment

• another mock where James is gone at 18. *%#! anyone who celebrated that hideous win in Philly.

Comment

• The War Room Experiment: How the Cowboys' first four rounds COULD look
                              By Jeff Cavanaugh 5 hours ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again, mock drafts are fun.

Not just for us. NFL teams themselves conduct a ton of internal mock drafts to prepare themselves for all of the different scenarios that could play out in this beast we refer to as the NFL Draft.

Today I've given myself a title that I'm not sure the folks at The Star in Frisco would embrace. I, Jeff Cavanaugh, am a one-man Dallas Cowboys War Room. I am the GM, the scouts, and the coaches. Congratulations to me!

At this point, I've scouted about 130 of the potential NFL draftees this year. The number will increase to 250-300 by the time the draft rolls around and I'm excited to provide scouting reports to help educate, have discussions and continue the all-around football party here at The Athletic. Today I wanted to give you an example of all that goes in to (hopefully) successfully working your way through a draft.

I went to fanspeak.com, which features a draft simulator. You pick your team, how many rounds you want to pick, where you would like the player rankings to come from. Then you rock and roll.

I selected the NFLDraftScout.com board because a lot of that work is Dane Brugler's. and he's the gold standard for scouting within the media. I picked four rounds because let's be honest, I've scouted 130 guys and I'm not totally prepared to go the full seven yet. Plus, our most important picks will the be the ones in the first four rounds.

I won't type up full scouting reports for every player we pick here because there are enough words for you to read already but as the draft approaches, we will have them for all these players and a whole lot more.

Names start rolling off the board. Names we like for our team. Names that make us happy, angry, sad, elated, depressed. When eighteen have been called, my Cowboys are on the clock. I'll use my personal rankings of players to tell you who we are considering at pick #19. I have five players left with first-round grades when our turn arrives.

In consideration:

Maurice Hurst (DT Michigan)
                              Isaiah Wynn (OG Georgia)
                              Mike Hughes (CB UCF)
                              Harold Landry (DE Boston College)

Derwin James was also available but at this point but I consider that unrealistic. Ronald Jones (RB, USC) has a first round-grade but the Cowboys don't need another runner. He's actually my best player available. But remember, BPA is a lie. BPAWR is real (Editor's Note: BPAWR is a Brugler term that takes 'Best Player Available' and adds 'Within Reason')

For this version of our mock, we will concede to our colleague Bob Sturm and say we have enough resources invested in the offensive line and would rather not use our first rounder there.

Then we'll fight about positional value in our one-man war room. Maurice Hurst is a 3-technique tackle. David Irving is there (for now). Maliek Collins was drafted to play there too. We have an overabundance of defensive ends who can slide inside in pass-rush situations. The starting cornerbacks are already on the roster. Pass rush? There's never been such a thing as enough pass-rushing on a football team. We turn in the name.

Harold Landry, DE, Boston College.

He's a little undersized, not a great player against the run but he's got a whole heap of ability to get after the quarterback. Hey, Kevin Turner profiled Landry this week!

Having picked a player, we meet (we is a strange word in my one-man war room), reorganize our thoughts and make sure our board is squared away. Let's prepare for day two.

Names roll off the board. Names we like. Will there be a pass rusher available at 50 that we like enough to regret taking one in the first round? Kevin Turner sticks his head in and asks why we didn't take Shaquem Griffin in the first round. We mention that we love the player but the missing extremity kept him from having a first or second-round grade. Dak and Zeke swing by to ask why we didn't pick Isaiah Wynn to assure ourselves the greatest offensive line in the history of sporting. By the time that drama has passed, pick #50 has arrived. The Cowboys are on the clock.

In consideration:

Wide receivers Michael Gallup (Colorado State), DJ Moore (Maryland), Anthony Miller (Memphis), Dante Pettis (Washington), DJ Chark (LSU).
                              Interior OL: James Daniels (Iowa), Billy Price (Ohio State).
                              Linebacker: Rashaan Evans (Alabama)
                              Defensive Tackle: Deadrin Senat (USF), Derrick Nnadi (Florida State).
                              Tight End: Dallas Goedert (South Dakota State), Hayden Hurst (South Carolina).
                              Cornerback: Jaire Alexander (Louisville), Isaiah Oliver (Colorado).

The battle is on in the war room. First, we smash a laptop because that's what is running this simulated draft. We curse at it and say that it's not realistic that Daniels, Price, Evans, and Alexander are here. We'll leave them alone because we're doing a realistic exercise. Sorry, Cowboys fans.

We're big fans of the two nose tackles left, but by definition, most nose tackles are two-down players. They may be available in the next round. We like all these wide receivers and wonder if this is worth revisiting 31 picks later.

The tight ends? We're a little surprised to have our pick of them, our current tight end is right around 92 years old. Kevin Turner pokes his head in the room and yells “Shaquem Griffin!”. We ignore him and pull the trigger on our tight end of the future (and present).

Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State.

We helped our defense in the first, then tended to the offense in the second and already have a general idea of what might happen with the next pick. So we watch and we wait. The names are rolling. Is there one we like enough that's falling down and may be worth trading up for? Nah. We're good. We're going to let it play out, some of our guys are still there. And we wait for pick #81.

In consideration:

Wide receivers: Michael Gallup, DJ Moore, Dante Pettis.
                              Defensive Tackles: Derrick Nnadi and Deadrin Senat.
                              Safety: Armani Watts (Texas A&M) and Jessie Bates (Wake Forest)

The safeties are graded as third-rounders and that's where we are. The wideouts and the interior linemen are graded in the second round. That makes eliminating the safeties easy.

Maybe in a later version of this exercise, we can pick one of the talents above, then look at packaging some picks to move up and grab another. For now, we're making a decision.

The Cowboys' wide receivers are set in terms of salary. I do think it's the group that needs a revamping, similar to the secondary a year ago. However, I just gave my offensive coordinator self a pass-catcher a round ago. My defensive side thinks a really good nose tackle can help upgrade more than just that one spot. He helps my linebackers and my pass rushers.

We're going to invest in the defense.

Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State. Nnadi had double-digit tackles for loss each of the last two years. Better than your standard huge human.

Day two ends. We get ourselves reorganized and prepare for round four the next morning.

Oh hey, it's morning!

The plan now becomes searching the board for talented players who might be falling for one reason or another. The Cowboys usually dedicate their second-round picks to that, but we've been disciplined enough to wait this far. The discipline ends here.

Kevin Turner sticks his head in the door. 'Shaquem Griffin,' he whispers, adding an expletive for Griffin's middle name. We give him the wink and the gun move.

We arrive at pick #138.

It won't be easy to project anyone as a starter here. But that's ok. We pull out the Blue Star Special card, usable for a player who would be picked higher but is/was hurt. We haven't addressed linebacker yet but luckily have a perfect plan in place. We're about to pick two of them here in the fourth round. The first one could have been a second or third round player but tore a pec one year then missed all of this season with a knee injury. We turn in the card.

Jack Cichy, LB, Wisconsin.

Kevin Turner pokes his head in with a raised eyebrow. We tell him not to worry, our first compensatory pick is only 20 picks away. Hang tight.

Shaquem Griffin is picked five picks later. Kevin pokes his head in. We cry. We should have done it the other way around. We're idiots.

Pick #138 is our first compensatory pick. Since we're on tilt and really upset that we let the whole team down, we're going into Joey Gallo mode. Bombs or strikeouts only.

Holton Hill, CB, Texas. Holton defines boom or bust. He's a second-round prospect who couldn't pass certain tests at school. Not the academic ones. Other ones. But the talent is a steal at this point. We're swinging.

With our second comp pick, we turn in our final card for this exercise.

Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State. He's built like a truck and an amazing athlete. Ballage isn't a great running back, but is an incredible receiver out the backfield. He's a fun toy to add to the offense.

It's over. We made the team better. Our final thought is 'Screw realism, we should have taken Derwin James.'

This exercise could play out 100 different ways, but this is today's iteration. We hope you enjoyed it! This article is brought to you by Jeff's temporary Multiple Personality Disorder.

Comment

• I'd rather it not fall this way. Do not like.

Comment

Working...
                                X