2018 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

midswat

... soon
3 years left on the contract. He would be turning 70 that year so I would expect 3 years left to be the max.
Which is why I can’t figure out how he’s still pulling in such strong recruiting classes. These kids got to know he’s likely retired by their junior year.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Which is why I can’t figure out how he’s still pulling in such strong recruiting classes. These kids got to know he’s likely retired by their junior year.
They will just replace him with Dabo

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
They will just replace him with Dabo
I keep hearing people in the media float that idea but I don't see the incentive in Dabo jumping ship to Bama.

His program is just as good as Bama and he could build his own legacy in Clemson. If he goes to Alabama even if he wins 3 or 4 titles there, he'll simply be known as the 3rd best coach in program history. Whereas if he stays at Clemson, he in all likelihood becomes that program's version of Bear Bryant. Statues, stadiums/fields named after him, etc.

Rev

Staff member
I keep hearing people in the media float that idea but I don't see the incentive in Dabo jumping ship to Bama.

His program is just as good as Bama and he could build his own legacy in Clemson. If he goes to Alabama even if he wins 3 or 4 titles there, he'll simply be known as the 3rd best coach in program history. Whereas if he stays at Clemson, he in all likelihood becomes that program's version of Bear Bryant. Statues, stadiums/fields named after him, etc.
He probably already has that. I think the loss of Saban will have the Alabama AD throughing out all kinds of crazy money to appease the boosters. The thought of falling from the roost will scare a lot of people.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
He probably already has that. I think the loss of Saban will have the Alabama AD throughing out all kinds of crazy money to appease the boosters. The thought of falling from the roost will scare a lot of people.
You don't think Clemson has the funds to match?

Plus I don't think he's already at Bear Bryant/Nick Saban level. Not even close. He's on his way but those guys have 6 national championships each. Swinney's only sitting at 2.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I guess Kyler Murray is supposedly going to try his hand at the NFL? I thought this may happen. I think he just loves football more than baseball. I'm definitely intrigued to see how highly he will project in the NFL draft. There is talk that he will be a first rounder. He would definitely be the smallest QB drafted in the first round that I can remember but the kid is one hell of an athlete. As a third round prospect I'd love him. But as a first rounder it would make me a bit nervous. Still it's a weak QB class at the top so it will be interesting to see how high he can climb.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
So I guess Kyler Murray is supposedly going to try his hand at the NFL? I thought this may happen. I think he just loves football more than baseball. I'm definitely intrigued to see how highly he will project in the NFL draft. There is talk that he will be a first rounder. He would definitely be the smallest QB drafted in the first round that I can remember but the kid is one hell of an athlete. As a third round prospect I'd love him. But as a first rounder it would make me a bit nervous. Still it's a weak QB class at the top so it will be interesting to see how high he can climb.
I think that teams are going to be less worried about having a tall QB. Going to the spread more negates that need to sit back in the pocket for ever.

Rev

Staff member
You don't think Clemson has the funds to match?

Plus I don't think he's already at Bear Bryant/Nick Saban level. Not even close. He's on his way but those guys have 6 national championships each. Swinney's only sitting at 2.
I dont think he is at that level as in number of championships. I think he is at their level as far as admired by fans and school. I think he could have that statue and by 2022 maybe even the stadium name. As far as money who knows.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that teams are going to be less worried about having a tall QB. Going to the spread more negates that need to sit back in the pocket for ever.
Yeah everyone is running a ton of shotgun these days in the NFL. It makes height far less important. It's how guys like Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are able to thrive. Teams run out of the shotgun and pass out of the shotgun. Then to add to it Murray is a running threat which helps with all of the shotgun misdirection that the brighter NFL minds are running. It may eliminate some teams from wanting him if they are still trying to run old school under center offenses but for most of these next generation offensive coordinators it won't matter. Like I said, I'm really interested to see who will take Murray and how high he will go. I think he is a QB that could have a lot of success right away in the NFL as opposed to some guys who take years to develop or never do.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yeah everyone is running a ton of shotgun these days in the NFL. It makes height far less important. It's how guys like Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are able to thrive. Teams run out of the shotgun and pass out of the shotgun. Then to add to it Murray is a running threat which helps with all of the shotgun misdirection that the brighter NFL minds are running. It may eliminate some teams from wanting him if they are still trying to run old school under center offenses but for most of these next generation offensive coordinators it won't matter. Like I said, I'm really interested to see who will take Murray and how high he will go. I think he is a QB that could have a lot of success right away in the NFL as opposed to some guys who take years to develop or never do.
Kliff Kingsbury takes Murray with the 1st overall pick and then trades away Josh Rosen.

Kliff is Murray's mentor already so it makes sense.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think Drew Brees was taken in the first round and he and Murray are about the same height.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I think Drew Brees was taken in ypthe first round and he and Murray are about the same height.
Iirc when he was at A&M we listed him at 5'9" and pretty much everyone said he was really 5'8" so unless he's grown around 3" since then he's not

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He was taken in the 2nd. Also, Brees is 6’ while Murray might literally be 5’8
Murray is listed at 5’ 11” . He has grown some since his high school days. The last time I saw him in person was his senior year and he was about 5’ 9”. I saw him again ai the Big 12 championship game and he was a little taller and had put on a lot of muscle.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Bree’s was drafted 32 overall which is essentially the first round.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Murray is listed at 5’ 11” . He has grown some since his high school days. The last time I saw him in person was his senior year and he was about 5’ 9”. I saw him again ai the Big 12 championship game and he was a little taller and had put on a lot of muscle.
Eh, I doubt seriously that he's 5'11. Ain't no way IMO.

I know you are a double homer though with the Allen and OU connection which enough to cause anyone's head to burst.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Bree’s was drafted 32 overall which is essentially the first round.
Doesn't matter. It's still the second round. There is a big difference between the last pick of the first round, and the first pick of the 2nd. Price, length of contract, etc...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Eh, I doubt seriously that he's 5'11. Ain't no way IMO.

I know you are a double homer though with the Allen and OU connection which enough to cause anyone's head to burst.
I’m not promoting anything. I am just relating information. It what he is listed at the same way Brees is listed at 6 ft.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Doesn't matter. It's still the second round. There is a big difference between the last pick of the first round, and the first pick of the 2nd. Price, length of contract, etc...
Yeah I know it’s the second round for that year but numerically the 32nd pick is usually the last pick of the first round and that is why I said it was essentially the first round..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom