D

Deuce

Official:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma

They got it right this year.
Getting it right would have been a 4 team playoff with the only 4 undefeted teams.

But this is the next best option.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If Georgia gets in, I officially buy there is a SEC bias.
They tried their hardest to justify allowing Georgia to stay in the 4 slot.

No other conference gets the benefit of the doubt like SEC teams. If that were a Big 10 or Pac 12 team in the exact same position as Georgia, it wouldn't even be up for debate. They'd promptly move those teams back 4 or 5 slots.

But the SEC gets the "they beat up on each other" and "quality loss" excuse.

midswat

... soon
I don’t know about Ohio State. It’s only one loss, but that loss to Purdue was a really bad one. Purdue is not a great team and they got an ass kicking. If a one loss team is going to make it over UCF, I feel it has to be Oklahoma. They lost a close game to Texas and then avenged that loss yesterday. That’s more respectable than the other two.
There’s a reason why it came down to uga, osu, and Oklahoma for that final spot, with no one giving ucf serious consideration.

There’s probably 30 teams who would be undefeated if they had the luxury of playing your schedule.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

1bigfan13

Staff member
Getting it right would have been a 4 team playoff with the only 4 undefeted teams.

But this is the next best option.
My problem with Herbstreit and others argument about Georgia getting the last slot is the metrics they were using to compare resumes weren't heavily skewed in Georgia's favor. For stuff like SOS, SOR, FPI, etc. Georgia was only slightly ahead Oklahoma in those categories. For instance, they were like 2nd in SOR and OU was somewhere around 5th. When the resume data points are that close I don't think you can simply dismiss wins/losses and go with gut feeling, which is pretty much the basis of Herbstreit's argument.

That being said, if there's a significant gap between UCF and the other playoff contenders' data points (which there probably is) then I can understand why they choose to leave them out. Wins and losses shouldn't be the only metric used. You've got to at least be within shouting distance in those SOS & SOR comparisons.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Official:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma

They got it right this year.
Yeah seemed pretty easy this year. 3 undefeated with real schedules make them shoe ins. I guess OSU could argue but they haven't been great this year. They were lucky to only have one loss.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah Georgia doesn't belong in the discussion.
The pundits are touting Georgia because they say they are one of the best 4 teams in the country. That’s crap because it’s a subjective opinionated stance that Alabama is the best therefore Georgia has to be there because they played them close. The fact is this. Alabama is first because of opinions not because they have played the best teams and won. That is yet to be determined therefore to elevate Georgia because they played Alabama close is a flawed position.

If Georgia can get two opportunities and come up short why would they automatically deserve another shot at the expense of others who might even defeat Alabama when the tournament begins.
Pundits are subjective opinionated and maybe even as bias as Joe Fan.

This system is supposed to be a tournament to crown a champion that survives the actual tournament play and the conference championships are one of the early elimination rounds. If you don’t survive that you don’t advance.

That’s why it isn’t accurate to presume who is the best from an opinion rather than tournament results. The final 4 should be for the teams who actually advanced by winning. Even Norte Dame shouldn’t be in the final four because they didn’t engage in a game that is equivalent to a conference championship.

The clamor for years has been that every other college sports activity is determined by tournament event so the football teams should be crowned by the same method. It here to a large degree but in the final analysis it still comes out to an opinioned guess based on subjective criteria.

1bigfan13

Staff member
The pundits are touting Georgia because they say they are one of the best 4 teams in the country. That’s crap because it’s a subjective opinionated stance that Alabama is the best therefore Georgia has to be there because they played them close. The fact is this. Alabama is first because of opinions not because they have played the best teams and won. That is yet to be determined therefore to elevate Georgia because they played Alabama close is a flawed position.

If Georgia can get two opportunities and come up short why would they automatically deserve another shot at the expense of others who might even defeat Alabama when the tournament begins.
Pundits are subjective opinionated and maybe even as bias as Joe Fan.

This system is supposed to be a tournament to crown a champion that survives the actual tournament play and the conference championships are one of the early elimination rounds. If you don’t survive that you don’t advance.

That’s why it isn’t accurate to presume who is the best from an opinion rather than tournament results. The final 4 should be for the teams who actually advanced by winning. Even Notre Dame shouldn’t be in the final four because they didn’t engage in a game that is equivalent to a conference championship.

The clamor for years has been that every other college sports activity is determined by tournament event so the football teams should be crowned by the same method. It here to a large degree but in the final analysis it still comes out to an opinioned guess based on subjective criteria.
Good points.

Regarding your point about Notre Dame, I was happy that Desmond Howard pointed that out as well. He's been questioning them the past few weeks. He's about the only analyst I've seen who hasn't given them a free pass.

If you believe wins and losses don't matter and you want to shoehorn Georgia into the tournament, you've got to look at Notre Dame and question their resume and see if they pass the "eye test" as well. There's a lot of people out there who don't believe they measure up. In fact, I saw the early odds regarding who's the early favorite to win the championship and ND was last behind the other three playoff teams and only given a 9% chance to win the title.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

1bigfan13

Staff member
:towel

Reminds me of the 2014 Sugar Bowl.

Alabama fans now claim that Bama "wasn't interested" but leading up to that game all I heard was a bunch of trash talk about how they were going to destroy Oklahoma with ease.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good points.

Regarding your point about Notre Dame, I was happy that Desmond Howard pointed that out as well. He's been questioning them the past few weeks. He's about the only analyst I've seen who hasn't given them a free pass.

If you believe wins and losses don't matter and you want to shoehorn Georgia into the tournament, you've got to look at Notre Dame and question their resume and see if they pass the "eye test" as well. There's a lot of people out there who don't believe they measure up. In fact, I saw the early odds regarding who's the early favorite to win the championship and ND was last behind the other three playoff teams and only given a 9% chance to win the title.
You can't tout the regular season games as "playoff games" and then jump a 2 loss team in there above other teams with less losses.

D

Deuce

There’s a reason why it came down to uga, osu, and Oklahoma for that final spot, with no one giving ucf serious consideration.

There’s probably 30 teams who would be undefeated if they had the luxury of playing your schedule.
And all 30 of those teams get $50M a year more than we do for facilities, coaching and recruiting budgets. Let us in the club and we’ll just do better.

D

Deuce

Yeah seemed pretty easy this year. 3 undefeated with real schedules make them shoe ins. I guess OSU could argue but they haven't been great this year. They were lucky to only have one loss.
Remind me what about Notre Dame’s schedule is “real”?

D

Deuce

Im rooting hard for Oklahoma. Give me UCF as the lone undefeted team after beating LSU in the Fiesta so we can claim another National Championship to go with the anti-trust lawsuit Danny White drops on the CFP.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
And all 30 of those teams get $50M a year more than we do for facilities, coaching and recruiting budgets. Let us in the club and we’ll just do better.
This is exactly why I spend so much time LOLing at teams like aTm, Tennessee and UT when they suck.

They have all of the resources in the world and still can’t win.

UCF going undefeated is much more impressive than a team like aTm who has a giant budget and basically has never won anything. The entire arguement “we play in the SEC” means nothing to me. That’s right, you play in a good tough conference, too bad. You also have unlimited resources. Dominate your level of football before taking shit to a team that dominates theirs.

Unless you’re me, then talk shit no matter what. :unsure

Last edited:
D

Deuce

This is exactly why I spend so much time LOLing at teams like aTm, Tennessee and UT when they suck.

They have all of the resources in the world and still can’t win.

UCF going undefeated is much more impressive than a team like aTm who has a giant budget and basically has never won anything. The entire arguement “we play in the SEC” means nothing to me. That’s right, you play in a good tough conference, too bad. You also have unlimited resources. Dominate your level of football before taking shit to a team that dominates theirs.

Unless you’re me, then talk shit no matter what. :unsure
Exactly.

When I’ve had debates with Bama fans over the months, they constantly fall on the “you don’t play anyone, we’d go undefeted every year with your schedule.”

Unfortunately, I have to break it to them that it just isn’t the case. If they had our schedule, it means they would be in our conference. That’s means $2M a year from a media deal instead of $40M. Guess who can’t afford Saban on that? Guess who won’t be pulling constant 4 and 5*’s with an AAC patch on their jersey? Essentially, they would be UAB.

Last edited by a moderator:

midswat

... soon
Im rooting hard for Oklahoma. Give me UCF as the lone undefeted team after beating LSU in the Fiesta so we can claim another National Championship to go with the anti-trust lawsuit Danny White drops on the CFP.
I bet it’ll all play out just like that. That slow plodding sec team doesn’t stand a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom