2018 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Time to see what week 2 of the Mike Stoops-less defense looks like. Hopefully they build on their solid start.

1bigfan13

Staff member
So far so good with the Sooners defense. The run defense has been outstanding the past two games. Reminds me of the early 2000s Oklahoma teams.

1bigfan13

Staff member
As soon as I praise them they give up a 1st down on a 3rd and 15 QB scramble, leading to a TD a few plays later.

Last edited:

Cujo

DCC 4Life
So far so good with the Sooners defense. The run defense has been outstanding the past two games. Reminds me of the early 2000s Oklahoma teams.
Looking much better. 124 yards in the 1st half for K State.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Oklahoma is going back to the playoffs. I'm calling it now.

The difference in the defense is night and day since Mike Stoops left.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
People rave about Noah Fant, I like T.J. Hockenson more.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Oklahoma is going back to the playoffs. I'm calling it now.

The difference in the defense is night and day since Mike Stoops left.
I've wanted him gone for a long time and knew he was holding us back but I am still a little surprised there's been such a dramatic change so quickly.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
:budd

DLK150

DCC 4Life
That ND/Navy game wasn't as close as the final score looked, that supposedly elite defense decided to take a nap during halftime. Stupid MFing Kelly always abandons the run even when it's working and gets pass happy. Sound familiar?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Whoa! Okie State got their groove on with the longhorns.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Either the Big 12 is really good this year, or total trash. It's hard to tell.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

Their defense looked uncharacteristically bewildered most of the game. Offense didn't get going til the end of the 3rd. They're going to have a tough time with WV next week.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I've wanted him gone for a long time and knew he was holding us back but I am still a little surprised there's been such a dramatic change so quickly.
It still pisses me off that we wasted 3 years of Baker Mayfield with Mike Stoops leading the defense.

IMO, if Bob Stoops would have retired in the Jan/Feb 2017 time frame rather than waiting until June, I think Lincoln Riley would have possibly made the change at DC right away.

But since Stoops announcement gave him less than 3 months prep time before the season started, I can understand why Mike Stoops remained on staff for 2017.

That being said, he should have fired him this past offseason shortly after the Rose Bowl. Lincoln had 3 full years to personally witness Mike Stoops' ineptness. So there was no excuse for him to allow Mike Stoops to stay on staff entering the 2018 season allowing him to sabotage yet another season of Oklahoma football.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Either the Big 12 is really good this year, or total trash. It's hard to tell.
There's a power transition going on within the conference.

Teams that have been finishing top 4 in recent years (TCU, OK St, K-State) are trending downward.

Teams that have been middle of the pack or worse (Texas, WVU, Iowa State) are trending upward.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I hate that I have to work next weekend, at night at that. I'm going to have to record the marquee games and watch them Sunday morning.

I think Alabama is going to embarrass LSU. LSU is getting a lot of love and praise for once again piling up wins against a bunch of average SEC teams. They're still getting credit for beating "highly ranked" teams even though those teams already have 3 or more losses and we still have about 5 weeks of games to play. :lol

Must be nice to have wins over potential 4 and 5 loss teams treated like a win over a top 10 opponent.

So I expect LSU to get exposed to a degree.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I hate that I have to work next weekend, at night at that. I'm going to have to record the marquee games and watch them Sunday morning.

I think Alabama is going to embarrass LSU. LSU is getting a lot of love and praise for once again piling up wins against a bunch of average SEC teams. They're still getting credit for beating "highly ranked" teams even though those teams already have 3 or more losses and we still have about 5 weeks of games to play. :lol

Must be nice to have wins over potential 4 and 5 loss teams treated like a win over a top 10 opponent.

So I expect LSU to get exposed to a degree.
While true, let’s not discount LSU’s win over Georgia and Alabama not having played a quality team yet this season. Alabama’s schedule this year is embarrassingly weak.

1bigfan13

Staff member
While true, let’s not discount LSU’s win over Georgia and Alabama not having played a quality team yet this season. Alabama’s schedule this year is embarrassingly weak.
True. Bama's schedule is weak but they've actually earned the benefit of the doubt, IMO.

And I haven't forgot about LSU's one good win (Georgia). It's just nauseating listening to the talking heads slurp them for having wins over multiple "top 10" teams on their resume. Just because teams like Miami and Auburn were massively overrated early in the year shouldn't qualify them as great wins in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom