2018 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The AAC is @poors and in need. Should we start a gofundme for you guys [MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION]?

he American Athletic Conference’s latest financial snapshot illustrates how important the next round of television and multimedia contract negotiations will be for the growing league.

The conference reported $74.47 million in total revenue for the 2016-17 fiscal year, the most recent documents available and obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.

Those figures are down slightly — 6 percent — from the previous year, during which the league reported $79.297 million in total revenue. It’s the first decrease in revenue for the AAC since the decline between 2013-14 to 2014-15, with the latter being the first year without Louisville and Rutgers as members of the league.

Compare the American’s 2016-17 revenue to figures recently released by the five autonomous conferences: SEC ($650 million), Big Ten ($531 million), Pac-12 ($509 million), ACC ($418 million) and Big 12 ($371 million).

According to the records, the American earned $42.179 million in postseason tournaments, including money generated from the NCAA Tournament, revenue from appearances in bowl games and a share of the College Football Playoff as mandated by the playoff management group.

The league received more than $20 million in revenue from its television and radio rights shared over a variety of networks, including ESPN and CBS Sports. The conference’s current media rights deal ends in 2020.

“The real game-changer for us would be TV because we’re just not getting anywhere near what we deserve in TV,” American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco said. “It’s a throwback to that five-year ago period when we were very unstable and the whole situation was unstable and that’s just not remotely true now.

“I think at the time, I don’t think anyone realized how powerful our schools could become. We’ve established ourselves as a nationally relevant and respected conference and now it’s a question of let’s make sure that results in a TV deal that we need to keep this going. It’s a mixture of exposure and revenue.”

In 2016-17, South Florida received $8.877 million from the AAC, followed by UConn ($8.088 million), Cincinnati ($7.659 million), Houston ($5.410 million), Tulsa ($4.937 million) and Temple ($4.920 million). USF, UConn and Cincinnati are still receiving payments as part of the $70 million in exit fees for being former members of the Big East Conference, according to the Hartford Courant.

Memphis ($4.684 million), UCF ($4.042 million) East Carolina ($3.737 million), SMU ($3.701 million), Tulane ($3.587 million) and Navy ($2.623 million) account for the rest of the league’s revenue breakdown.

UCF saw an increase of 13 percent ($528,837) from the previous year.

Commissioner Mike Aresco made $1.79 million in salary in 2016-17, up slightly from the previous year of $1.724 million.

The AAC revenue figures are bound to look radically different for the 2017-18 fiscal year with the strong showing by UCF in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, one of the six access bowl games in the College Football Playoff, as well as the addition of Wichita State in basketball.

D

Deuce

The AAC is @poors and in need. Should we start a gofundme for you guys @Deuce?

he American Athletic Conference’s latest financial snapshot illustrates how important the next round of television and multimedia contract negotiations will be for the growing league.

The conference reported $74.47 million in total revenue for the 2016-17 fiscal year, the most recent documents available and obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.

Those figures are down slightly — 6 percent — from the previous year, during which the league reported $79.297 million in total revenue. It’s the first decrease in revenue for the AAC since the decline between 2013-14 to 2014-15, with the latter being the first year without Louisville and Rutgers as members of the league.

Compare the American’s 2016-17 revenue to figures recently released by the five autonomous conferences: SEC ($650 million), Big Ten ($531 million), Pac-12 ($509 million), ACC ($418 million) and Big 12 ($371 million).

According to the records, the American earned $42.179 million in postseason tournaments, including money generated from the NCAA Tournament, revenue from appearances in bowl games and a share of the College Football Playoff as mandated by the playoff management group.

The league received more than $20 million in revenue from its television and radio rights shared over a variety of networks, including ESPN and CBS Sports. The conference’s current media rights deal ends in 2020.

“The real game-changer for us would be TV because we’re just not getting anywhere near what we deserve in TV,” American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco said. “It’s a throwback to that five-year ago period when we were very unstable and the whole situation was unstable and that’s just not remotely true now.

“I think at the time, I don’t think anyone realized how powerful our schools could become. We’ve established ourselves as a nationally relevant and respected conference and now it’s a question of let’s make sure that results in a TV deal that we need to keep this going. It’s a mixture of exposure and revenue.”

In 2016-17, South Florida received $8.877 million from the AAC, followed by UConn ($8.088 million), Cincinnati ($7.659 million), Houston ($5.410 million), Tulsa ($4.937 million) and Temple ($4.920 million). USF, UConn and Cincinnati are still receiving payments as part of the $70 million in exit fees for being former members of the Big East Conference, according to the Hartford Courant.

Memphis ($4.684 million), UCF ($4.042 million) East Carolina ($3.737 million), SMU ($3.701 million), Tulane ($3.587 million) and Navy ($2.623 million) account for the rest of the league’s revenue breakdown.

UCF saw an increase of 13 percent ($528,837) from the previous year.

Commissioner Mike Aresco made $1.79 million in salary in 2016-17, up slightly from the previous year of $1.724 million.

The AAC revenue figures are bound to look radically different for the 2017-18 fiscal year with the strong showing by UCF in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, one of the six access bowl games in the College Football Playoff, as well as the addition of Wichita State in basketball.
Aresco is a disaster. He was brought in as commish specifically for the TV rights deal due to his history of negotiating them and he got a whopping $2M/year per school. He is one of the many reasons every school in the conference is trying to move up and out of the league.

Suffice to say, based on results and TV ratings our league is worth much more. But I doubt he will be able to do anything about it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The Big 12 could and should be doing a lot better as well, IMO.

First off, they need to create their own network like the other Power 5 conferences have. I think they had/have some BS online only network. They need something that's included in cable packages like the other conferences.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:flairwoo

:towel

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

:flairwoo

D

Deuce

First off, they need to create their own network like the other Power 5 conferences have. I think they had/have some BS online only network. They need something that's included in cable packages like the other conferences.
Hard to do when you don’t have major TV markets wanting to see the product. Outside of Texas, I don’t think there’s a top 30 or 40 market associated with the conference.

That was was one of the biggest selling points for UCF and USF. They are both top 20 and when you combine them to one market, it’s top 5 nationally. That’s the exposure the Big 12 needs for a network to want to pair with them.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Hard to do when you don’t have major TV markets wanting to see the product. Outside of Texas, I don’t think there’s a top 30 or 40 market associated with the conference.

That was was one of the biggest selling points for UCF and USF. They are both top 20 and when you combine them to one market, it’s top 5 nationally. That’s the exposure the Big 12 needs for a network to want to pair with them.
This is not a slam but do people even watch UCF games in your market?

Last edited:

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

The Big 12 fucked themselves letting the sips have the longhorn network

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Make no mistake, we have been the Longhorn conference since 1996.

No big deal, we just lost aTm, Nebraska, Mizzu and Colorado and got WVU and TCU in a trade. Such a bargain. :budd

D

Deuce

This is not a slam but do people even watch UCF games in your market?
Yes, as well as nationally. Our alumni base is super young and growing, but doing their part when it comes to ingesting the content. UCF games have set ESPN records for games on those dates and in those time slots in recent seasons.

Sure UF and FSU have those own large contingent of fans in central FL, but the market share is shrinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You mean letting them keep the Longhorn network. But yes, the point still stands.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

I believe OKC and Kansas City rank in the top 30-40 national markets, but your point is still valid. Way too many Texas teams saturating the conference.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I believe OKC and Kansas City rank in the top 30-40 national markets, but your point is still valid. Way too many Texas teams saturating the conference.
Yup. I could see the Big 12 bringing in a ton of TV sets if it selects the right partner to grow with. I would have rather had UCF over TCU any day. At least you're targeting other markets that way. Now I don't know how I feel about possibly diluting the conference with a team like UCF now that we have who we have. All I can say is that if the Big 12 ever expands it better get it right.

As an aside, the college FB landscape quickly changes...it appears that the PAC 12ish is struggling right now.

D

Deuce

I was chocking Kansas City up to being in Missouri and them being an SEC school now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom