2018 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
1. HOCUTT REITERATES EXPECTATIONS
Hocutt's use of the word "elite" in his press conference Sunday raised some eyebrows - and briefly served as social media fodder as people debated whether Texas Tech has ever been elite in football - and he doubled-down on those expectations again Wednesday.

"We have not shied away from saying the fact that we want to be relevant, we want to be elite, we want to compete for championships," he said. "It is possible. It can be done at Texas Tech University. It can be done in Lubbock, Texas."

2. CONVERSATIONS HAVE TAKEN PLACE
When asked by host Robert Giovannetti, also an athletic department official, if he had spoken with any coaching candidates up to this point, Hocutt indicated that conversations and visits had in fact taken place.

"There's a lot of conversations that are taking place, there's a lot of visits that are taking place. We're going to just continue to manage those hour by hour and day by day. There's a lot of things taking place behind the scenes right now."

3. HOCUTT HAD A LIST PREPARED IN CASE KINGSBURY DIDN'T WORK OUT
Hocutt confirmed that he did not start this coaching search from scratch following the dismissal of Kliff Kingsbury on Sunday. He also indicated that the list has evolved since the process began.

"Of course, you are always prepared," Hocutt said. "What you don't know is how those conversations with those that you have interest in are going to evolve. Is there shared interest? In some cases we knew that there would be, in others we weren't so sure.

"We were prepared. We had a list. As you work that list, it can a number of different turns and there are people that will come forward with interest that you hadn't anticipated. Once you get into something like this, it can change day by day."

4. COORDINATOR IS IN THE MIX
Hocutt confirmed that at least one coordinator was in the running for the Red Raiders' vacancy.

"We're having a conversation right now with someone who is a coordinator at a high-profile program."

Could Hocutt be referring to Oregon defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt?

5. HOCUTT WAS IN LUBBOCK LAST NIGHT, MAY BE IN TOWN TONIGHT
Despite a much followed flight plan involving Pullman, Wash. last night, Hocutt said that he was at home on Tuesday night "earlier than (he) did on Monday night."

Will he be in Lubbock tonight?

"Based on everything I know right now, I'll be home this evening. But that could change when I walk out of here and look at that phone, as well."

Who frickin knows?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
We believe Texas Tech has at least spoken with the following with respect to its head coaching vacancy: Neal Brown, Jim Leavitt, Seth Littrell and Matt Wells.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now there is a coach more on their level.

midswat

... soon

Hope they replace him with someone competent. Seems like GT would be a decent gig.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Now there is a coach more on their level.
Apparently the top 4 have been Leavitt, Holgorsen, Venables and Matt Wells. Then they have the second tier of options after that.

I have no idea who Matt Wells is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently the top 4 have been Leavitt, Holgorsen, Venables and Matt Wells. Then they have the second tier of options after that.

I have no idea who Matt Wells is.
I don't really know much about Matt Wells other than he is the Utah State head coach and he has them playing well this year. It's the type of jump you'd expect a coach like that to make though. From small program to a big time conference.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
All arrows are pointing towards David Wells at this point. OK then...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
All arrows are pointing towards David Wells at this point. OK then...
I would rather have had Venables. I think this would be a terrible hire.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Anyone going to the OU Texas game Saturday morning? At the moment looks like I will be there. I think I wrangled a sports package from an Oklahoma promotion Company. It’s a nice package if I get it all nailed down. Seat are so so but that’s okay.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Heard a surprising stat yesterday on Dan Patrick's show.

The Big 12 conference catches a lot of flack for it's lack of defense but the ACC conference has actually been worse. It's just that the ACC isn't raked over the coals nationally like the Big 12.

The Big 12 has 7 teams ranked 65th or worse nationally in defensive rankings. The ACC has 10 teams who are ranked 65th or worse.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Z
Heard a surprising stat yesterday on Dan Patrick's show.

The Big 12 conference catches a lot of flack for it's lack of defense but the ACC conference has actually been worse. It's just that the ACC isn't raked over the coals nationally like the Big 12.

The Big 12 has 7 teams ranked 65th or worse nationally in defensive rankings. The ACC has 10 teams who are ranked 65th or worse.
Yep. And even that is skewed by the fact Tharp big 12 teams have much better offenses across the board than most conferences. They beat up on each other with high scoring games.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I would rather have had Venables. I think this would be a terrible hire.
Why? Wells is very highly regarded.

IMO Venables seems like too much of a spaz on the sidelines. And he couldn't recruit here nearly like he does at Clemson.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Why? Wells is very highly regarded.

IMO Venables seems like too much of a spaz on the sidelines. And he couldn't recruit here nearly like he does at Clemson.
Wells has barely been able to make .500 at Utah freaking State. And, just for [MENTION=19]skidadl[/MENTION]'s reference, his name is Mike not David. :unsure

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Wells has barely been able to make .500 at Utah freaking State. And, just for [MENTION=19]skidadl[/MENTION]'s reference, his name is Mike not David. :unsure
Well nobody gets Utah State to 500. I wouldnt hold that against him at all. Wiki actually has him over 500 there, though. I think Hocutt deserves the benefit of the doubt. The programs at Tech seem to be all be moving in the right direction.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well nobody gets Utah State to 500. I wouldnt hold that against him at all. Wiki actually has him over 500 there, though. I think Hocutt deserves the benefit of the doubt. The programs at Tech seem to be all be moving in the right direction.
Yeah literally before Matt Wells took over, Utah State was annually hot garbage. At least while he was coach they posted a few double digit winning seasons. I think Texas Tech could do a lot worse. But I guess when you think names like Holgorsen are realistic a name like Matt Wells is going to be a disappointment. But that was never realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom