2018 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I like the Mack Brown hire under certain conditions.

UNC football is at a weird spot. They are a program that should really be in a much better position than they are. They have the financial resources, the history, the desirable campus and location (near North Carolina's Triangle region), NC is a mildly warm recruiting hotbed, and the prestige and national exposure (large national fan base) that they should really be a bigger draw and have more success.

Now, I'm not saying they are ever going to be a Tier One school, they may not compete for National Championships yearly, or even ever, but explain to me why UNC can't become like Oklahoma State and be in the top 25 consistently, with the occasional top 10 finish? Their division in the ACC features: Miami, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Duke, Pittsburgh and Georgia Tech. UNC has the potential to vault all those programs with the exception of Miami; but UNC should be right there at the top with Miami every year in the race to win the division and play for the ACC championship. That kind of success -- being ahead of the Dukes, Pittsburghs, Virginias, Virginia Techs, and Georgia Techs of the world, is not something that should be beyond the grasp of this program.

They need someone who can tap that potential. Yeah, Mack Brown isn't gonna be able to elevate UNC over ACC powerhouses Clemson or Florida State any time soon (at least while Dabo Swinney is at Clemson), but this isn't the SEC.

Mack Brown establishes credibility and direction to a program that has the untapped resources to be a low second tier program. If he can channel that, he won't need to return them to the days of finishing 10-1 like he did in the late 90's. Finishing more consistently 7-4, 8-3, makes this is a successful hire. And with the rumors that he's bringing back Gene Chizik and maybe even a hot OC like Kliff Kingbury, if he can establish the program as the "elder statesman" before turning it over to the young guy, that may be the edge UNC needs to permanently vault into a higher tier.
I agree with you here. UNC is in an absolutely beautiful area that would be amazing to coach at.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Clemson is a team that I hate. And I especially hate that the ACC is such a disaster right now that they (Clemson) actually has a virtual straight line to the CFP every year. So i'd love for UNC or anyone, really, to step up and be a thorn in their side.

MB just seems like a lazy hire. And I'm not sure how a coach who turns 68 before next season is going to be able to convince recruits - the lifeblood of a program - that he'll be there the duration of their college careers.

Best way this works out IMO is if he can bring in talented coordinators that maybe he can sell a transition plan too.
Yeah, that's one of the conditions I like it under. He gets a guy like KK who is his successor, re-establishes the program to respectability, elevates them over the Dukes of the world, and then hands it over to someone GOOD instead of to Carl Torbush.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Agreed 100%. But he’s 67 years old today. Not for nothing but you have to question his drive and longevity. Doesn’t even take into account he’s been out of coaching for several years.
It’s old for a coach but there are some that can still make things happen. My guess is that he is tired of traveling constantly with his TV job and wants to put his feet up in the off season and enjoy his time.

He has been there before.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do enjoy the shit out of that man.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:lol

Not a chance in hell.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

:lol

Not a chance in hell.
Pure stupidity.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It seems like Tech is trending towards Littrell, Neal Brown and/or David Wells right now which is the second tier of prospects. Who knows but that’s my take on it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It seems like Tech is trending towards Littrell, Neal Brown and/or David Wells right now which is the second tier of prospects. Who knows but that’s my take on it.
Venables didn't give a hell no in the quotes I read from him yesterday.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
More informed chatter from coaching circles. There's some thought that West Virginia is very willing to up its compensation commitment in any new contract extension for Dana Holgorsen - remember, Holgorsen's 2018 base compensation is actually lower than what Kliff Kingsbury's is/was - but would at the same time would like to reduce the university's buyout commitment should the Mountaineers want to move on at some point down the line. Holgorsen would be owed around $8 million if West Virginia dismissed him without cause this year, and that number drops from there over the following three seasons.

Just me talking here... From a base compensation standpoint, it seems fair to assume that the Mountaineers will be willing to match or come close to whatever numbers the Red Raiders could hypothetically offer. West Virginia doesn't, at this point, seem as willing to guarantee a large portion of any new contract. Will the 'Eers blink if Texas Tech offers him a heavily guaranteed deal? Is that something the Red Raiders are even prepared to consider? Big questions.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It is good to see that Tech is giving Saban a shot at the job.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom