2018 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Leach is happy with where he is, makes great money and is winning a decent amount of games.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
This would be my guess.
I don't personally believe that is true but that is just my feeling based on the information that I have. Hell, he may want to simply get a raise and a long term contract at WVU and use Tech to get there.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Texas Tech was scheduled to host several prospects in for official visits this weekend, but those have all now been canceled.

:sad

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
CUSportsNation, Rivals.com's Colorado team-site, reported today that one of its trusted sources believes that Jim Leavitt will be the Buffaloes' next head football coach and that the two parties could already be in negotiations. I can't speak to CUSportsNation's source as I don't know the site's publisher very well - he has been a Rivals.com fixture for many years and wouldn't be where he is without being good at his job and very qualified, I just haven't ever interacted with him much - but I wanted to share what our friends around the network are reporting.

D

Deuce

Just read that Venables has announced he isn’t leaving Clemson, wants to stay with his freshman LB son.

Respectable...but now TT has lost their top 5 candidates in less than 24 hours. Could this be the next Tennessee shit show?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Texas Tech was scheduled to host several prospects in for official visits this weekend, but those have all now been canceled.

:sad
Any indication as to why they were all cancelled? Was it Tech that cancelled them or the candidate?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
We are not reporting any of the following, just passing along some informed chatter from coaching circles about where things are trending from their perspective. Jim Leavitt is likely headed to Colorado, Dana Holgorsen may be working on a contract extension with West Virginia and Brent Venables is likely to stay at Clemson because, in part, he doesn't want to uproot his children.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Just read that Venables has announced he isn’t leaving Clemson, wants to stay with his freshman LB son.

Respectable...but now TT has lost their top 5 candidates in less than 24 hours. Could this be the next Tennessee shit show?
Nothing could compare to the shit show there as the dysfunction in that program is legendary.

A lot of these thing get magnified as all of your choices are instantly made public and so are the misses and interest. I think in this scenario it is perfectly acceptable to be turned down for your top guys. But who knows, a shit show could ensue.

midswat

... soon
Says the guy who was wishing Gruden would come out of retirement to coach his team
You spend 8 years watching Derek Dooley and Butch Jones coach your team and see what it’ll do to you.

midswat

... soon
Mack Brown has an outstanding record as a coach. Few can match it. He had some bad days but what coach hasn’t. He is a smart individual and is familiar wth UNC.
Agreed 100%. But he’s 67 years old today. Not for nothing but you have to question his drive and longevity. Doesn’t even take into account he’s been out of coaching for several years.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'm hoping that there are some good cyber Monday deals on mid-tier coaches today.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm hoping that there are some good cyber Monday deals on mid-tier coaches today.
What is Tuberville up to these days?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I like the Mack Brown hire under certain conditions.

UNC football is at a weird spot. They are a program that should really be in a much better position than they are. They have the financial resources, the history, the desirable campus and location (near North Carolina's Triangle region), NC is a mildly warm recruiting hotbed, and the prestige and national exposure (large national fan base) that they should really be a bigger draw and have more success.

Now, I'm not saying they are ever going to be a Tier One school, they may not compete for National Championships yearly, or even ever, but explain to me why UNC can't become like Oklahoma State and be in the top 25 consistently, with the occasional top 10 finish? Their division in the ACC features: Miami, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Duke, Pittsburgh and Georgia Tech. UNC has the potential to vault all those programs with the exception of Miami; but UNC should be right there at the top with Miami every year in the race to win the division and play for the ACC championship. That kind of success -- being ahead of the Dukes, Pittsburghs, Virginias, Virginia Techs, and Georgia Techs of the world, is not something that should be beyond the grasp of this program.

They need someone who can tap that potential. Yeah, Mack Brown isn't gonna be able to elevate UNC over ACC powerhouses Clemson or Florida State any time soon (at least while Dabo Swinney is at Clemson), but this isn't the SEC.

Mack Brown establishes credibility and direction to a program that has the untapped resources to be a low second tier program. If he can channel that, he won't need to return them to the days of finishing 10-1 like he did in the late 90's. Finishing more consistently 7-4, 8-3, makes this is a successful hire. And with the rumors that he's bringing back Gene Chizik and maybe even a hot OC like Kliff Kingbury, if he can establish the program as the "elder statesman" before turning it over to the young guy, that may be the edge UNC needs to permanently vault into a higher tier.

midswat

... soon
Nothing could compare to the shit show there as the dysfunction in that program is legendary.

A lot of these thing get magnified as all of your choices are instantly made public and so are the misses and interest. I think in this scenario it is perfectly acceptable to be turned down for your top guys. But who knows, a shit show could ensue.
0-5 skid to end the season. Coaches turning you down. Recruits canceling visits. I mean, it might not be as bad as ours was... but you're not exactly off to a good start there chief.

Still, as embarrassing as that shit show was, in 3 years Tennessee will be a perennial top 25 team and Texas Tech will still be a lower tier Big 12 team.

midswat

... soon
I like the Mack Brown hire under certain conditions.

UNC football is at a weird spot. They are a program that should really be in a much better position than they are. They have the financial resources, the history, the desirable campus and location (near North Carolina's Triangle region), NC is a mildly warm recruiting hotbed, and the prestige and national exposure (large national fan base) that they should really be a bigger draw and have more success.

Now, I'm not saying they are ever going to be a Tier One school, they may not compete for National Championships yearly, or even ever, but explain to me why UNC can't become like Oklahoma State and be in the top 25 consistently, with the occasional top 10 finish? Their division in the ACC features: Miami, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Duke, Pittsburgh and Georgia Tech. UNC has the potential to vault all those programs with the exception of Miami; but UNC should be right there at the top with Miami every year in the race to win the division and play for the ACC championship. That kind of success -- being ahead of the Dukes, Pittsburghs, Virginias, Virginia Techs, and Georgia Techs of the world, is not something that should be beyond the grasp of this program.

They need someone who can tap that potential. Yeah, Mack Brown isn't gonna be able to elevate UNC over ACC powerhouses Clemson or Florida State any time soon (at least while Dabo Swinney is at Clemson), but this isn't the SEC.

Mack Brown establishes credibility and direction to a program that has the untapped resources to be a low second tier program. If he can channel that, he won't need to return them to the days of finishing 10-1 like he did in the late 90's. Finishing more consistently 7-4, 8-3, makes this is a successful hire. And with the rumors that he's bringing back Gene Chizik and maybe even a hot OC like Kliff Kingbury, if he can establish the program as the "elder statesman" before turning it over to the young guy, that may be the edge UNC needs to permanently vault into a higher tier.
Clemson is a team that I hate. And I especially hate that the ACC is such a disaster right now that they (Clemson) actually has a virtual straight line to the CFP every year. So i'd love for UNC or anyone, really, to step up and be a thorn in their side.

MB just seems like a lazy hire. And I'm not sure how a coach who turns 68 before next season is going to be able to convince recruits - the lifeblood of a program - that he'll be there the duration of their college careers.

Best way this works out IMO is if he can bring in talented coordinators that maybe he can sell a transition plan too.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
0-5 skid to end the season. Coaches turning you down. Recruits canceling visits. I mean, it might not be as bad as ours was... but you're not exactly off to a good start there chief.

Still, as embarrassing as that shit show was, in 3 years Tennessee will be a perennial top 25 team and Texas Tech will still be a lower tier Big 12 team.
scuse me, sir, that is lower to MID TIER to you, buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom