2018 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Well, good luck with that. Lemme know when you have a good defense AND a team that runs that air raid. You never will. I will continue with the smug look that only guy with this type of experience should be able to have.
Oklahoma has ran air raid/spread schemes in the past and their defenses were much much better.

I think we're talking about different things.

From a points per game aspect, you're right, a team with an air raid offense will probably give up more ppg because they're yielding more possessions per game, which obviously means more scoring opportunities for your opponent.

But what I'm talking about is general defensive competence that the Oklahoma defense lacks. I maintain no matter what offense Oklahoma runs this defense would still be horrible. We could adopt a grind it out style like LSU and this defense would still be incompetent.

Also, you can't even use the "they're on the field more so they get worn down" excuse with this group. They play like hot garbage from the opening kickoff to the final whistle. So there's no "the offense is scoring too fast or getting too many 3 and outs" excuses that you normally see with air raid teams. They just suck, regardless of the scheme.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The Oklahoma secondary is terrible. They are short and slow. Even if they were mentally sharp about their positions the can’t pgysically cover the receivers in today’s game. Receivers are tall and strong for the most part. The only shot the Oklahoma defense has is to keep pressure on the opponents QB so they can’t get set and the Linbackerf play a shallow system to be able to react to the run or pass. Safeties and corners will have to gamble on blitzes.
It seems like they have a couple of solid CBs who do an okay job. Unfortunately defenses have mercilessly picked on weak links like Bookie Radley-Hiles and Oklahoma has not been able to cover up for those weak links. Bookie was personally responsible for 21 points on those wide open passes up the seam. He's one of those slow CBs that you were talking about. Somehow he was rated as a 5-star prospect by the recruiting services. He's only about 5'10" plus I read he only runs about a 4.5 in the 40. They eventually benched him late in the 2nd half on Friday night.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It looks like Kliff really is out. :towel

Cotton

Staff member

It really is happening!!!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!

D

Deuce

It really is happening!!!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!
I’m happy for you. Couldn’t have been an easy decision for the school.

But now where here do they turn?

Cotton

Staff member
I’m happy for you. Couldn’t have been an easy decision for the school.

But now where here do they turn?
I could be talked into David Gibbs being named HC.

midswat

... soon
I was pulling for you guys today. If we slip up in he CCG, a matchup with he Vandy/UT winner in Birmingham was a possibility.
So the bowl officials feel like the second best AAC team is an even match up with the 12th best SEC team?

I absolutely agree.

:art

D

Deuce

I could be talked into David Gibbs being named HC.
Really? Promoting from within with the Coordinator who controlled the unit that got him fired?

That reeks of change just for the sake of change.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

midswat

... soon
[MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION]... I have a friend who tells me that Gruden might be the next coach at TT!

:unsure

D

Deuce

So the bowl officials feel like the second best AAC team is an even match up with the 12th best SEC team?

I absolutely agree.

:art
It’s just how the tie ins work. the AAC only has two bowl games with P5 teams and if we lose, Memphis will take the better game since they aren’t getting the NY6 game.

midswat

... soon
I saw a tweet yesterday that Venebles is on yalls short list
I hope this is true because I'm for anything that weakens Clemson. But i'm fairly certain Venebles son plays at Clemson and is a sophmore. I could see where he'd want to stay there to hang with his kid. Also, IIRC there were stories last year during all the coaching searches that Venebles was happy as a coordinator.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Supposedly Jim Leavitt is super duper high on the list. He played with Kirby at KSU.

D

Deuce

Supposedly Jim Leavitt is super duper high on the list. He played with Kirby at KSU.
Hahahahaaa good luck with that.

Get ready for a or a hard nosed D...and a coach who’s team will wilt under pressure as the year rolls on and he’ll lock players in a utility shed.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Really? Promoting from within with the Coordinator who controlled the unit that got him fired?

Yeah, I cannot get with this idea at all.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Hahahahaaa good luck with that.

Get ready for a or a hard nosed D...and a coach who’s team will wilt under pressure as the year rolls on and he’ll lock players in a utility shed.
I do not think that today is a day for laughter. The King has been sacrificed...1000 years from now people will be hunting eggs on this day in history.

Cotton

Staff member

Gibbs has done some really good things for our defense. The number may not reflect it, but he has done some really good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom