2018 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I would be happy with any of those 3, with Aranda clearly in the lead.
Why do you say that? I think it should be Littrell.

Him or change completely and hire an option offense coach.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Why do you say that? I think it should be Littrell.

Him or change completely and hire an option offense coach.
Because I want a defensive minded HC.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Pretty much

=======•

Texas Tech’s season-opening loss to Ole Miss does not have to be the beginning of another disappointing season for Kliff Kingsbury and his program.

It’s reasonable to think that a full-strength secondary – i.e. not the one that finished the game down three starters – will plug some of the holes of a surprisingly leaky Red Raider defense and achieve better results against less Monstars-like receivers. There’s ample reason to believe that, as long as its starting quarterback doesn’t go down on the second series, the Texas Tech offense can be more productive than what it showed against Ole Miss.

In short, there’s a legitimate case to be made that what happened Saturday isn’t a great indicator of how the rest of the 2018 season will play out.

I am not here to make that case.

What struck me the most from Saturday’s game was not the lackluster results on offense or defense. Those, as detailed above, can be sensibly explained away to varying degrees.

No, what stuck with me all weekend me was how many times the team made fans wonder, aloud or just to themselves, what exactly the Red Raiders were thinking.

Why did De’Quan Bowman decide to return Ole Miss’ first kickoff at the 1-yard line instead of taking a touchback?

Why did Desmon Smith, on third down, feel the need to level an unnecessary hit on DaMarkus Lodge after an incompletion that would have led to a Rebel punt? Instead, Smith was ejected for targeting and Ole Miss’ drive continued.

What was Vaughnte Dorsey’s decision-making process that led to his clear and egregious targeting penalty in the fourth quarter?

Why exactly did Seth Collins, after officials flagged an Ole Miss defender for a penalty that would have given the Red Raiders 1st and Goal at the 2-yard line, feel it was necessary to continue to pop off instead of jog back to his teammates? Collins’ unsportsmanlike conduct flag pushed a struggling Texas Tech offense back to the 17-yard line and the drive came up empty four plays later on fourth down.

Even more troubling? Bowman and Dorsey are seniors, Smith is a third-year junior and Collins played three seasons at Oregon State before transferring to Texas Tech.

If those four plays are indicative of the team’s football IQ this season, then these Red Raiders will sink themselves - and Kingsbury's tenure as head coach - regardless of when Jah’Shawn Johnson and McLane Carter return to the lineup.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don’t expect an intelligent football discussion from our Red Raiders here since emotion has already taken over.

Anyoo, on the second play of the game our best cover corner falls and let’s WR run to the call and to the enzone.

Then we lose our top 3 DBs during the game making life living hell against a very talented WR stable.

When we gave up 2 long runs we had a single LB in the box with both of our top safeties out of the game.

Then we have some seriously boneheaded penalties. One of them took us away form the 2 yard line where I’m sure we would have scored. There was another FG that we should have got had it not been for penalties. That’s 10 points.

I’m not really pissed at the offense or play calling for this game. What killed us is stupid stuff, being down 3 DBs and so forth. Getting our QB out and having a true freshman have to step in while scoring 27 (should have been 37) is enough to win.

I say we won 5-6 games again this season which will be the worst case. 6-6 would be devastating. Just enough to keep Kliff. We need 8 wins out less than 5. Anything in between will just be the worst.

Like I said, this isn’t the place to be taking football because our resident Tech fans turn into Bipo when it comes to taklkong Tech football.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I will have you go back and read my posts during the game. I did bring up the cb falling down and cbs being hurt (although I didnt know it was 3).

No broad strokes and really no tech on tech hate. We have it tough enough as it is.

Cotton

Staff member
I don’t expect an intelligent football discussion from our Red Raiders here since emotion has already taken over.

Anyoo, on the second play of the game our best cover corner falls and let’s WR run to the call and to the enzone.

Then we lose our top 3 DBs during the game making life living hell against a very talented WR stable.

When we gave up 2 long runs we had a single LB in the box with both of our top safeties out of the game.

Then we have some seriously boneheaded penalties. One of them took us away form the 2 yard line where I’m sure we would have scored. There was another FG that we should have got had it not been for penalties. That’s 10 points.

I’m not really pissed at the offense or play calling for this game. What killed us is stupid stuff, being down 3 DBs and so forth. Getting our QB out and having a true freshman have to step in while scoring 27 (should have been 37) is enough to win.

I say we won 5-6 games again this season which will be the worst case. 6-6 would be devastating. Just enough to keep Kliff. We need 8 wins out less than 5. Anything in between will just be the worst.

Like I said, this isn’t the place to be taking football because our resident Tech fans turn into Bipo when it comes to taklkong Tech football.
We will see how we all feel at the end of the season.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Damn, man. That's cold blooded.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Dammit. I was trying to start some shit and I get nothing.

You guys are losing your angry streak. Must be age catching up.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Dammit. I was trying to start some shit and I get nothing.

You guys are losing your angry streak. Must be age catching up.
Well, to be fair you did compare them to bipo. They might have just closed their computers and are now driving to your house to cave your head in for you.

Cotton

Staff member
~posting from my phone as I drive~

p1_

DCC 4Life

Rev

Staff member
Is Houston that good or Arizona that bad. Seems an awfully high score for those teams. 31-0 Houston at half.

D

Deuce

Is Houston that good or Arizona that bad. Seems an awfully high score for those teams. 31-0 Houston at half.
I think this is mostly on AZ. Houston gave up a lot of yards last week.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Rev

Staff member
Damnit Lamar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom