2018 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm trying to find a reason to care that he knew about allegations but did nothing.

Did Meyer break the law somehow? Did he actively conspire to help get his assistant off the hook?

Or is this another one of those social justice outrages where the employer should be expected to presume guilt and fire every employee accused of violating liberal sensabilities every time he hears a whisper?

Cause as far as I'm concerned the criminal justice system, again, has the responsibility to prosecute. It's not Ohio State's job to suspend or fire every employee accused (or even convicted) of some wrongdoing.

I've heard way too many boys crying wolf, including the Elliott thing, for me to ever give a damn if "someone KNEW about 'ALLEGATIONS' of domestic violence but didn't act."

Do not care.

If Urban Meyer didn't break the law, or some other term of his own employment with his own employer, then I don't care.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Uh, the reason he's in trouble is because he didn't even bother to report the allegation, which he and his wife, since she's also a university employee, were contractually obligated to do.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Uh, the reason he's in trouble is because he didn't even bother to report the allegation, which he and his wife, since she's also a university employee, were contractually obligated to do.
Here is where I am confused. This DV happened while the coach was not at work and on his free time, right? Or do I have that wrong? If true, then it is not a Title IX thing since no students were involved in the incident. I will admit, I have not really dug into this much.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Here is where I am confused. This DV happened while the coach was not at work and on his free time, right? Or do I have that wrong? If true, then it is not a Title IX thing since no students were involved in the incident. I will admit, I have not really dug into this much.
I doubt it matters if the incident happened while the coach was off the clock. I'm not sure about the Title IX piece but what I do know is that Ohio State university policy is that all employees are required to report any allegation of assault involving university personnel.

That's the point that he and his wife will have a hard time beating.

The incidents allegedly happened back in 2015. I wonder if that was university policy or in Meyer's contract back then.

Cotton

Staff member
I doubt it matters if the incident happened while the coach was off the clock. I'm not sure about the Title IX piece but what I do know is that Ohio State university policy is that all employees are required to report any allegation of assault involving university personnel.

That's the point that he and his wife will have a hard time beating.

The incidents allegedly happened back in 2015. I wonder if that was university policy or in Meyer's contract back then.
See, here is where the confusion may lie. I heard on the radio this morning that the clause in his contract states that he is required to report any Title IX incidents both past and present. The clause doesn't specify off the clock stuff. I think that will be a big factor when all of this finally gets settled. And, the policy the OSU has in place I'm quite sure only means at work abuse. I'm in no way defending Meyer. I have no skin in the game. Just trying to get it sorted in my head so I know who to hate on.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Meyer's wife is in a tight spot. If she tells the truth, she ruins his career and in all likelihood their marriage. If she lies, she betrays a battered woman and the #metoo movement. Sucks to be her.

1bigfan13

Staff member
See, here is where the confusion may lie. I heard on the radio this morning that the clause in his contract states that he is required to report any Title IX incidents both past and present. The clause doesn't specify off the clock stuff. I think that will be a big factor when all of this finally gets settled. And, the policy the OSU has in place I'm quite sure only means at work abuse. I'm in no way defending Meyer. I have no skin in the game. Just trying to get it sorted in my head so I know who to hate on.
Is Title IX specifically for "on the clock" incidents? If so, that seems pretty dumb.

Honestly I didn't view this as a Title 9 issue until the media started throwing the term around. I just saw it as violation of university policy and contractual terms.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This is the clause from Meyers contract, unless I'm reading this wrong it would cover off the clock stuff

Failure by Coach to promptly report to Ohio State’s Deputy Title IX Coordinator — Athletics or Ohio State’s Title IX Coordinator any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty, or staff or that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event. For purposes of this section ... a “known violation” shall mean a violation or an allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause to believe is taking place or may have taken place

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It seems like his wife was trying to help. I wouldn’t doubt that he told her to handle it. Also, he could have asked about it and the coach lies. There could be rumors in the staff that she is batshit crazy and should be ignored. I don’t know, this has to be a firable offense due to the current climate...I just don’t know if I agree or if he should be ruined over this. She called the police a few times and nothing happened. You’d think he could leave it in the hands of law enforcement.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
This is the clause from Meyers contract, unless I'm reading this wrong it would cover off the clock stuff
"In connection with a university sponsored activity or event" would make me think off the clock isn't covered.

Cotton

Staff member
Now, the fact that he told the media he knew nothing of ANY abuse is another ballgame. But, not sure he should be ruined for lying to the media.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
"In connection with a university sponsored activity or event" would make me think off the clock isn't covered.
that involve any student, faculty, or staff or that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event.

midswat

... soon
I hate OSU so this is awesome as far as I'm concerned.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
that involve any student, faculty, or staff or that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event.
Yeah the OR means that it only requires one of those things. But can you say something is "known" if he didn't first hand witness anything?

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, missed the or.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah the OR means that it only requires one of those things. But can you say something is "known" if he didn't first hand witness anything?
Holy crap, that is such a great example of a question a lawyer would ask. :lol

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'd bet a version of that question is said by his lawyers if/when they try to terminate for cause

Cotton

Staff member
I agree. But it begs the question, are you required to report every rumor you hear?
I'm not saying I disagree, just that I could almost hear the echos of the court room when I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom