2018 Draft Chatter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Former NFL Draft Prospect Claims Mel Kiper Takes Bribes For Mock Draft Grades
January 29, 2018

As the playoffs wind down, football fans start paying close attention to the upcoming NFL Draft and searching up mock drafts to see who their team might take in the upcoming draft.

One of the more respected people in the business is Mel Kiper Jr. The long-time ESPN Draft analyst has been dropping mock drafts for years and for the most part, they’ve been a complete and utter mess.

But despite his constant mistakes, people still keep coming back for more.

But maybe people change their mind after finding out about this.

Jason Whitlock of FOX Sports 1 claimed that agents have a history of paying writers and bloggers to create hype pieces for their clients:

Publicists/PR people/Agencies have writers on retainer who spew out much of what you read in the blogosphere. The client sees a favorable article on what appears a reputable site and has no idea his agent paid for it. https://t.co/O4hmCcyFUH

— Jason Whitlock (@WhitlockJason) January 27, 2018

The tweet from Whitlock led to former 2008 first-round pick and former Seattle Seahawks defensive end Lawrence Jackson to take to Twitter and blast Kiper for taking bribes:

Mel Kiper has greased pockets. That’s why the big board always has some whaaaaat names. I had an agent promise to get me atop his big board. https://t.co/gC51fCKCpH

— Lawrence Jackson (@LoJackson94) January 28, 2018

That’s what an agent offered me.

— Lawrence Jackson (@LoJackson94) January 28, 2018

Just retire, Mel Kiper.. just like you said you would if Jimmy Clausen didn’t become a successful NFL quarterback.
This has been out there for quite a while.

There is a reason why his "big board" sometimes has wild swings with no discernable cause.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

There is a reason why his "big board" sometimes has wild swings with no discernable cause.
I'm not sure how I missed this. This is the first time I am seeing it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Eh, if he does it, it's so infrequently that he hasn't lost his credibility as a result. It's not like he has Lamar Jackson going number 1 or something.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Eh, if he does it, it's so infrequently that he hasn't lost his credibility as a result. It's not like he has Lamar Jackson going number 1 or something.
He would if Jackson's agent paid up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not sure how I missed this. This is the first time I am seeing it.
It is mostly a thing with Draft Twitter. That is why a lot of them were ripping him for putting Josh Allen at the top.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Kiper's first mock is usually for shock value and his last one is closest to the truth. I mean, it would be boring to project Sam Darnold as the #1 pick for five straight mocks.

Cotton

Staff member

:towel

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Kiper's first mock is usually for shock value and his last one is closest to the truth. I mean, it would be boring to project Sam Darnold as the #1 pick for five straight mocks.
I didn't see much of Darnold last season but what I saw of him didn't make me think he should be a #1 contender.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Funny I was thinking about him earlier this morning and I kind of feel the opposite. I've said multiple times that I'd have no problem taking a 1 technique DT in the first round but when I think about Vita Vea I'm just sort of meh. I know he is 350 pounds and can run down people on kickoffs.

But he also gets gashed by Barkley for 137 yards and 7.6 yards per carry. And then I start thinking of Danny Shelton and how insignificant he has been in the NFL. Even though he is basically the identical player who came from the exact same school.

I actually think I'd pass on Vita Vea in the first round. I want more out of my NT in this defense. Plus he isn't some super steal at 20. Hell Kiper has him at 22 on his big board. Just a limited player.
I've been really big on Vea. But lately I've been flip flopping on him or maybe Roquan Smith or a top safety like Derwin James. IMO Vea could be the difference maker we need to push our D line to a new level we haven't been at in years. But there's LB'ers, DB's, and edge rushers in the mix who seem to be elite.
And my question is "We need a force at DT, so just who is the answer?"

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is the type of WR we need. A guy who doesn't get mad if he doesn't get 140 balls thrown his way a season. A guy who is able to get excellent separation and deals well with the press. Just a guy who quietly goes about his job and does it well and will never be recognized as elite.

Cotton

Staff member
He is the type of WR we need. A guy who doesn't get mad if he doesn't get 140 balls thrown his way a season. A guy who is able to get excellent separation and deals well with the press. Just a guy who quietly goes about his job and does it well and will never be recognized as elite.
I would take him with our 3rd.

Cotton

Staff member
Thread:

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Thread:

that is one stiff honky at RT...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
that is one stiff honky at RT...
Would it be offensive if I said that is one quick nigger he's up against? Or is it only OK since it's directed at a white guy?

There shouldn't be a line drawn to which races are immune and which aren't.

Cotton

Staff member
RIP Draft Chatter Thread.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Would it be offensive if I said that is one quick nigger he's up against? Or is it only OK since it's directed at a white guy?

There shouldn't be a line drawn to which races are immune and which aren't.
Somebody woke up crappy today... Is it that time of the month again Nodick?

I have no idea who plays RT there, would it be better for you if I call him a stiff beaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom