Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Thread:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Josh Allen is a good litmus test for who falls in love with shiny objects at draft time and who doesn't.

He has the big arm, big frame, looks the part, makes throws only a handful of guys in the world can make, but if you look at the totality of his play he isn't that great. He struggles under pressure, his footwork in the pocket isn't smooth, and above all he's inaccurate with a sub-57% completion % each of the last two years.

I would absolutely love it if he fell to the Redskins and they took him, he's not going to be a franchise QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Josh Allen is a good litmus test for who falls in love with shiny objects at draft time and who doesn't.

He has the big arm, big frame, looks the part, makes throws only a handful of guys in the world can make, but if you look at the totality of his play he isn't that great. He struggles under pressure, his footwork in the pocket isn't smooth, and above all he's inaccurate with a sub-57% completion % each of the last two years.

I would absolutely love it if he fell to the Redskins and they took him, he's not going to be a franchise QB.
There are plays where he literally looks just like Carson Wentz. Arm, size and athletic ability. The problem of course is that his consistency is all over the place more like a Kyle Boller coming out of college. That may be a little harsh, I mean Allen's completion percentage isn't as bad as Boller's was but you get the idea. The total picture shows an erratic guy. I think Allen is either going to go into a great situation and develop or bust horribly.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There are plays where he literally looks just like Carson Wentz. Arm, size and athletic ability. The problem of course is that his consistency is all over the place more like a Kyle Boller coming out of college. That may be a little harsh, I mean Allen's completion percentage isn't as bad as Boller's was but you get the idea. The total picture shows an erratic guy. I think Allen is either going to go into a great situation and develop or bust horribly.
Basically, yea, and Wentz needed literally 2 former NFL QB's and one of the better thought of QB "whisperer" types in DeFilippo to really develop and create a QB-friendly system for him in his 2nd year.

Allen will need quite a bit of support to develop into a franchise QB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think the Boller comp is harsh at all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the Boller comp is harsh at all.
I just meant Boller couldn't even complete 50% of his passes in college until his last season. Even then he could only get it up to 53%. Hell for his college career he had a 47.8 completion percentage.

I guess I just didn't remember Boller being that god awful. Allen wasn't that bad in college.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I just meant Boller couldn't even complete 50% of his passes in college until his last season. Even then he could only get it up to 53%. Hell for his college career he had a 47.8 completion percentage.

I guess I just didn't remember Boller being that god awful. Allen wasn't that bad in college.
He may have been if he played 15 years ago like Boller when the spread wasn't basically the base offense for most college teams and it was much more difficult to pass the ball.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He may have been if he played 15 years ago like Boller when the spread wasn't basically the base offense for most college teams and it was much more difficult to pass the ball.
Speaking of which, Kyle Boller seems like just yesterday to me. It's crazy how quickly 15 years can fly by.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lamar Jackson works on NFL draft prep and has message for skeptics

11:46 AM CT
Andrea Adelson
ESPN Staff Writer

Lamar Jackson has begun his NFL draft prep in South Florida, quietly going about his business while keeping a lid on what his plans entail.

Over the next few months, as draft anticipation builds, he is sure to become the talk on talk radio and television, the most scrutinized player in this draft class in the way Deshaun Watson and Teddy Bridgewater drew withering scrutiny before him.

But there is a slight difference in the talking points. Critics wondered whether Watson and Bridgewater could be successful quarterbacks in the NFL. The question about Jackson goes something like this: Can he actually play quarterback in the NFL?

Although the Louisville tape and record books and trophy case say yes, those who think they know better watch Jackson run and consider that license to denigrate his skill set as a quarterback. To be sure, Jackson does not fit the prototypical NFL quarterback mold. Josh Allen does, and he finds himself in the discussion to be among the first quarterbacks taken.

Jackson finished this past season with a better completion percentage than Allen (among other statistics). Mel Kiper Jr. recently unveiled his first mock draft, and had Allen at No. 1 overall. Ranking all quarterbacks, Kiper listed Jackson No. 6.

Those rankings are highly subjective, dependent on what the evaluator believes makes a successful quarterback on the next level. In many cases, rankings and evaluations are wrong. Still, this notion that Jackson switch positions to improve his NFL draft stock is one that is still out there, and one that in all likelihood will stay out there through the combine and team evaluations.

Louisville coach Bobby Petrino knows the skepticism is out there, and it makes him angry. During a recent phone conversation, Petrino said he had no explanation for the narrative. “There’s no question he’s a quarterback in the NFL, and he’s a special, special player,” Petrino said. “I don’t know who started that or why they did it, but it’s ridiculous.”

What would Petrino tell those skeptics out there?

“They just need to come in and do their work, watch the video, see him, that’s it,” Petrino said. “That’s just talk. Do your work.”

The work would show a far from complete player, but one with a skill set that translates to the NFL with the proper coaching and guidance -- the same as any prospect hoping to become an NFL starting quarterback one day. There are no perfect quarterbacks in this draft class; Jackson is far from a finished product.

One Power 5 defensive coordinator, who watched Jackson play, said without hesitation Jackson is an NFL quarterback. He pointed to all the naysayers coming forward as one reason why the league has struggled to develop quarterbacks. “Instead of adapting to the players coming into the league, they’re trying to do what they’ve always done,” he said.

Indeed, dual-threat quarterbacks get knocked every single year in the run-up to the draft. It just so happens Jackson is different than any dual-threat quarterback since Michael Vick, because he runs like a shifty running back and throws the ball 90 yards on a dime with little effort. Vick, by the way, did play quarterback in the NFL (and he played it pretty well, too).

Although the subpar bowl performance against Mississippi State is sure to get dissected, Jackson did make significant progress in 2017 with his footwork, ball delivery and ability to read defenses. He followed up his Heisman Trophy season with another invite to New York, and ended up with 42 school and seven conference records when he declared his eligibility for the draft.

Before the bowl game, Jackson talked at length about all the ways he made improvements, although he was more reticent to discuss the future. Jackson said he first heard talk about switching positions during his Heisman trip, and it surprised him.

“It is annoying because quarterback is all I played all my life,” Jackson said. “People look at my legs and they see I can make big plays, but they don’t really see my arm, and I make big plays with my arm. I scored more touchdowns with my arm than my legs so …”

For those scoring at home, Jackson had 69 passing touchdowns and 50 rushing touchdowns in his career.

As for his own message to anybody who doubts his ability:

“Just find out when I get there.”

I have to admit the guy intrigues me. Just stupid athletic ability in both his legs and his arm. I sort of wonder if he couldn't do a lot of what we saw Deshaun Watson do before he got hurt.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

D

Deuce

Someone tell Joe to never go full retard.

Cotton

Staff member

Uhhhhh... no.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Uhhhhh... no.
It is like people are making up shit to justify the hype.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Uhhhhh... no.
Their physical skill set is just similar enough to be dangerous.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

What, do these morons just repeat what each other say?

D

Deuce

Mayok also said something earlier like “All these WRs are dropping balls because they aren’t used to QBs with his arm strength.”

Other people watching the same drills basically said the balls were in uncatchable spots.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mayok also said something earlier like “All these WRs are dropping balls because they aren’t used to QBs with his arm strength.”

Other people watching the same drills basically said the balls were in uncatchable spots.
It's hard to make a tough catch when the ball is coming 100 mph. If he had some touch maybe those would actually be catches.

Cotton

Staff member
Thread:

Cotton

Staff member
Former NFL Draft Prospect Claims Mel Kiper Takes Bribes For Mock Draft Grades
January 29, 2018

As the playoffs wind down, football fans start paying close attention to the upcoming NFL Draft and searching up mock drafts to see who their team might take in the upcoming draft.

One of the more respected people in the business is Mel Kiper Jr. The long-time ESPN Draft analyst has been dropping mock drafts for years and for the most part, they’ve been a complete and utter mess.

But despite his constant mistakes, people still keep coming back for more.

But maybe people change their mind after finding out about this.

Jason Whitlock of FOX Sports 1 claimed that agents have a history of paying writers and bloggers to create hype pieces for their clients:

Publicists/PR people/Agencies have writers on retainer who spew out much of what you read in the blogosphere. The client sees a favorable article on what appears a reputable site and has no idea his agent paid for it. https://t.co/O4hmCcyFUH

— Jason Whitlock (@WhitlockJason) January 27, 2018

The tweet from Whitlock led to former 2008 first-round pick and former Seattle Seahawks defensive end Lawrence Jackson to take to Twitter and blast Kiper for taking bribes:

Mel Kiper has greased pockets. That’s why the big board always has some whaaaaat names. I had an agent promise to get me atop his big board. https://t.co/gC51fCKCpH

— Lawrence Jackson (@LoJackson94) January 28, 2018

That’s what an agent offered me.

— Lawrence Jackson (@LoJackson94) January 28, 2018

Just retire, Mel Kiper.. just like you said you would if Jimmy Clausen didn’t become a successful NFL quarterback.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thread:

Strong hands but for a little guy he isn't fast and doesn't get much separation. He is a black Cole Beasley and for that reason I'd say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom