2017 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They didn’t even win their division, let alone conference. They are the definition of an at large team in a march Madness, but they’re a shoe-in for this rigged system.
I guess they think the travelling bandwagon fanbase they have is important.

Fuck them.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Such bullshit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I’d just like to know why Ohio State’s resume is better than USCs. Both of USC’s losses were on the road to ranked teams, where Ohio State was blown out both at home AND on the road...and one of which was to an unranked Iowa. To me, USC actually has the better resume. Not that they deserve to be there, either.
Alabama gets it because they are viewed as the best if even they haven't proven it on the field.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Ohio State has a better resume but also 2 losses. If OSU were matched against Alabama today who would be favored to win? You'd probably have to say that Alabama would win that game.

Also, nobody said the rules were that a conference winner is in. They are trying to get the better teams in. Who are the better teams? That is the bottom line.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
The same can be said for USC, which is a better team than Ohio State.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
All this garbage does is leverage the opportunity to expand the playoff to 8 teams, which is what college football wants, anyway. Quite honestly, no team fit the #4 spot particularly well. Alabama (being the open hypocrites they are) shouldn’t be there because they’re violating their own “you shouldn’t get in if you didn’t win your conference” mantra. Ohio State was humiliated twice. USC was humiliated by Notre Dame. Wisconsin shit the bed when they had a chance to put a pretty little bow on the whole thing. Seriously, no team deserved to be there. So in light of that, one reasonable (albeit imperfect) approach would be to default to “the best team” argument. If you do that, you’d pick Alabama to beat Ohio State or USC, and by a very wide margin. It’s not perfect, but it is what it is.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wish I knew but I could see this coming because last week Bama was moved to the #5position in anticipation of an upset this week end.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Such bullshit.
Think of the ratings for a Clemson/Alabama rematch, huh, huh? That alone probably drove this train.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
All this garbage does is leverage the opportunity to expand the playoff to 8 teams, which is what college football wants, anyway. Quite honestly, no team fit the #4 spot particularly well. Alabama (being the open hypocrites they are) shouldn’t be there because they’re violating their own “you shouldn’t get in if you didn’t win your conference” mantra. Ohio State was humiliated twice. USC was humiliated by Notre Dame. Wisconsin shit the bed when they had a chance to put a pretty little bow on the whole thing. Seriously, no team deserved to be there. So in light of that, one reasonable (albeit imperfect) approach would be to default to “the best team” argument. If you do that, you’d pick Alabama to beat Ohio State or USC, and by a very wide margin. It’s not perfect, but it is what it is.
8 teams is the way to go.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd be flipping tables over right now if Ohio State got in with 2 losses this year, when Penn State's 2 losses kept them out last year.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
8 teams is the way to go.
I wouldn't mind, but the goal is to get the top 2 teams in the playoffs. With 4 teams I think it accomplishes that. The first two teams out will always be upset and may have legit grievances but that would be the case if there were 8 teams or 16 teams. Either way the top 2 are in and that is all that really matters.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
USC-Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I think Alabama is better than Ohio State and Wisconsin. At the same time though I have no doubt if the roles were reversed, Alabama would've still gotten in.

If Alabama had 2 losses but won the SEC championship game while Ohio State's only loss was by double digits the last week of the season and they didn't play in the conference game, there would be no way Alabama as SEC champion would be left out.

D

Deuce

TT vs USF in the Birmingham Bowl.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, blow those MFers out.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
TT vs USF in the Birmingham Bowl.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, blow those MFers out.
You want Tech to blow out USF or the other way around?

midswat

... soon

Dark days are over. Great time to be a Vols fan.

:towel

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And I dislike Alabama as much as the next man, and I also feel that they definitely benefit and are afforded luxuries that other schools aren't afforded in this system.

But the one thing that you do have to remember with Ohio state is that just two weeks ago they were absolutely pummeled by an unranked school.

Maybe it turns out this way even if that loss had come to the 18th ranked team in the country or whatever, but that's a really really really bad loss to have on your resume especially so close to the end of the season.

Ohio State screwed over Penn State last year and now they're just getting a little taste of their own medicine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom