2017 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, Auburn beat the two teams in the NC gane and UCF beat Auburn while going undefeated.

If they want to hang a banner I have no problem with it. It isn’t their fault that the system sucks.
Pretty much.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Funny how the Playoff Committee has different standards to get in for each conference.

AAC - Your Conference, schedule and everything sucks. Never for you.

Big 12 - Good teams, but no Conference title game so sorry.

SEC - Hell, we’ll take you even if you don’t win your own division!
Glad to see you now see that the SEC has had a lot of favoritism especially Alabama.
Everyone outside the SEC see’s it and has seen it for a long time. It just took certain people longer to see than others. I think a lot of the Big 12 didn’t see it until they were shunned a few years ago.
Pretty much.
And yet...
Any of you willing to bet that Alabama team doesn't win Monday? There's no way you can honestly say Alabama is not one of the top 4 teams in the country.

D

Deuce

And yet...
Any of you willing to bet that Alabama team doesn't win Monday? There's no way you can honestly say Alabama is not one of the top 4 teams in the country.
I can say it isn't as cut and dry as you make it sound. Clemson was their first impressive win all season and Clemson's QB looked especially bad in that game. Makes me think how overrated the ACC was this year that Clemson could sleep walk through that conference. Well, except against Syracuse. lawl

Bama beat a bad FSU team that needed to reschedule Louisiana-Monroe just to get bowl eligible and Fresno St. Didn't play Georgia, lost to Auburn. The rest of the conference was a joke.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like UCF claiming a national championship, it's to prove a point and they had a great season, why not?

With that said, there is a 0.000% chance they could win two games in a row in a playoff against the likes of Alabama/Georgia/Oklahoma/Clemson.

midswat

... soon

:lol :lol :lol

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I like UCF claiming a national championship, it's to prove a point and they had a great season, why not?

With that said, there is a 0.000% chance they could win two games in a row in a playoff against the likes of Alabama/Georgia/Oklahoma/Clemson.
I think everybody does except Midswat. For some reason he has chosen this as his stand.

midswat

... soon
I think everybody does except Midswat. For some reason he has chosen this as his stand.
Everyone except me? Maybe on this board. It’s been mocked (deservedly so) by countless people.

I think it’s goofy and makes the best season ucf will ever experience the butt of jokes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I will say that is pretty funny.

midswat

... soon
UCF..... where they hang banners claiming fictional titles and coaches bag ass for real jobs.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
To be fair, I like to make fun of aTm for their fake championships.

My point is that it is simply an internal thing. If UCF wants to do that it doesn't bother me one bit. I lose zero sleep over it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Everyone except me? Maybe on this board. It’s been mocked (deservedly so) by countless people.

I think it’s goofy and makes the best season ucf will ever experience the butt of jokes.
Mediots and ESPN? I don't watch or listen to them. Basically was talking about here which is about the extent of my sports info now. Don't see the harm in it at all. Its not like its going to create an asterisk in the record books but I do see their point.

D

Deuce

It’s been mocked by a lot of media and fans…from the SEC. They probably don’t like their precious all SEC national championship game being overshadowed. Lots of national writers have taken it for what it is and actually supported it.

D

Deuce

To be fair, I like to make fun of aTm for their fake championships.

My point is that it is simply an internal thing. If UCF wants to do that it doesn't bother me one bit. I lose zero sleep over it.
Alabama claims to be the National Champ in 1942 despite winning 5 games and not finishing the year in the AP top 20.

I read yesterday that Oklahoma St claimed a National championship in the 60’s...in 2016! :lol

Lets not act like this is something new that “traditional schools” haven’t done.

midswat

... soon
Like it or not, strength of schedule an issue for Group of Five teams

By Matt Baker, Times Staff Writer

After staying relatively quiet about a system stacked against it, UCF started to speak out about the College Football Playoff after capping off its perfect season with a Peach Bowl victory.

"Only thing we can do is keep winning games, and I don’t think we have any more games left to win," standout linebacker and Lakewood High alumnus Shaquem Griffin told reporters after a New Year’s Day win over Auburn. "I guess to the (selection) committee, it’s just what more can we do?"

Nothing. And that’s the problem.

While the four-team CFP is an improvement over the two-team BCS, it puts Group of Five teams at an almost insurmountable disadvantage. As a result, the Knights — the first Division I-A team to finish undefeated since 2013 Florida State — won’t win a national championship. They won’t earn a split title with the winner of Monday’s Alabama-Georgia game, either, no matter how hard UCF fans and administrators lobby for it.

Aside from a perfect record, the Knights’ best argument centers on four-loss Auburn. The Knights beat the Tigers 34-27. Georgia and ’Bama lost to Auburn by double digits, so UCF has a transitive win over both College Football Playoff finalists.

Too bad it’s not that simple.

Georgia avenged its loss to Auburn by beating the Tigers in the SEC title game, at the same neutral site (Mercedes-Benz Stadium) that hosted the Peach Bowl. UCF won by seven and was outgained 421-411; Georgia won by 17 and amassed 192 more yards than the Tigers.

Losses matter in the College Football Playoff era — just ask Ohio State — but wins matter, too.

"UCF is an excellent team," CFP executive director Bill Hancock told ESPN on Tuesday, "but you still have to take into account who each team played and defeated during the regular season."

That’s where UCF’s case begins to crack.

The Knights beat only one team ranked in the top 30 nationally in the Sagarin ratings’ analytics: Auburn. ’Bama beat four, including three (Clemson, LSU and Florida State) by double digits. Georgia’s resume had three top-10 wins plus No. 17 Mississippi State.

UCF’s average opponent was ranked No. 81 by Sagarin. That’s significantly worse than Georgia (50) and ’Bama (58).

Even UCF’s non-conference schedule lagged behind ’Bama and Georgia, thanks to bad luck.

The Knights scheduled two Power Five opponents. One (Maryland) had an injury epidemic and finished 4-8; the other (Georgia Tech) was canceled because of Hurricane Irma. ’Bama, meanwhile, beat FSU and 10-win Fresno State, while Georgia knocked off 10-3 Notre Dame and crushed the rival Yellow Jackets, both on the road.

While the Peach Bowl bolstered UCF’s case, the rest of the bowl season hurt it. The Knights’ next-best opponent (Memphis) lost in its home stadium to 8-5 Iowa State. UCF’s third-best foe, USF, needed a last-gasp touchdown to beat 6-7 Texas Tech in Birmingham.

None of this is meant to take away from UCF’s season. It’s extremely hard to go undefeated, in any sport, at any level. Scott Frost backed up his national coach of the year honors by remarkably balancing his new job at Nebraska with beating the SEC West champions.

This isn’t meant to blame UCF, either. Griffin and the Knights can only play who’s on their schedule — and upgrading that is a major challenge, as big-name Power Five teams seem reluctant to play the Group of Five’s best.

Maybe UCF’s season and another SEC vs. SEC championship game will be enough to change the system. Expanding the playoff to eight and guaranteeing a spot for the best Group of Five champion will eliminate any future debate and help the next UCF.

But until that happens, there’s nothing Griffin and his teammates can do.

Except enjoy the best season in school history.

midswat

... soon
How I imagine [MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION] every time he responds in this thread...

Cotton

Staff member
Wow, Middie, you’ve picked a really stupid thing to latch on to. Apparently, all the shit you took (that you said didn’t bother you) did bother you, and you are acting out like a spoiled child now. Guess what? The UT coaching search was a ducking fiasco and a black eye on the school and its administration. You deserved to take shit about it. Especially after all of your idiotic Gruden predications from “sources”. Your acting out now is extremely transparent.

midswat

... soon
Wow, Middie, you’ve picked a really stupid thing to latch on to. Apparently, all the shit you took (that you said didn’t bother you) did bother you, and you are acting out like a spoiled child now. Guess what? The UT coaching search was a ducking fiasco and a black eye on the school and its administration. You deserved to take shit about it. Especially after all of your idiotic Gruden predications from “sources”. Your acting out now is extremely transparent.
If I was bothered, I would log out. I promise you I've got much thicker skin than you think. But if someone wants to dish it out and come at me over what my school did, then by all means yeah I'll dish out a little too. It's how it works.

UCF turned their great season into a joke. So imma joke them.

Regarding the UT coaching search/fiasco etc... we're going to rebound nicely. You'll see.

PS - Soon

midswat

... soon
Btw [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] who is your team? I don’t even know....

Cotton

Staff member
If I was bothered, I would log out. I promise you I've got much thicker skin than you think. But if someone wants to dish it out and come at me over what my school did, then by all means yeah I'll dish out a little too. It's how it works.

UCF turned their great season into a joke. So imma joke them.

Regarding the UT coaching search/fiasco etc... we're going to rebound nicely. You'll see.

PS - Soon
Bullshit. You’re throwing a tantrum like a child. It’s literally the only ammo you have in this thread right now.

Cotton

Staff member
Btw [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] who is your team? I don’t even know....
You will have plenty of ammo on me. Read the thread. It shouldn’t be hard to figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom