2017 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If OU would have won this I would have picked them to win it all. Maybe Georgia can go all the way.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Lincoln Riley took the ball out of Mayfield's hand at the wrong times.

Win or lose with your best player.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Pretty much. His butt clinched up and he went conservative. Play that way that got you there imo.

1bigfan13

Staff member
What a game. I’m guessing 1big just blew up in his living room just now.
Nope. I kind of went into "you deserve what you get" mode when they kept handing it off and running jet sweeps on 3rd and short plays late in the game.

Not allowing the Heisman trophy winner to decide the game inexcusable.

You know the defense is shaky so you should be doing everything in your power to win that game on offense.

1bigfan13

Staff member
That option pitch to the backup QB, Kyler Murray, was especially dumb.

Really you run that play, in that situation? You deserve to lose.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Remember that FG given up right before half because of the squib kick? Yep.
Dumb coaching decision. That bites them in the ass down the road.

Being down 2 possessions instead of 3 is huge for a team's confidence.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I knew shortly after the resumption of the first half that OU had gone into a shell. When they did the Georgia defense siezed the moment and jumped on the Sooners. It was a typical coaching style that looses games that are caving in on you. Get a lead and sit on it then summarily lose the game.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I knew shortly after the resumption of the first half that OU had gone into a shell. When they did the Georgia defense siezed the moment and jumped on the Sooners. It was a typical coaching style that looses games that are caving in on you. Get a lead and sit on it then summarily lose the game.
Georgia made halftime adjustments and went to mostly man coverage and OU didn't adjust to it

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Pretty much. His butt clinched up and he went conservative. Play that way that got you there imo.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Glad to see Georgia win. Roquan Smith is a monster I was hoping would somehow fall to us. Too bad we had to beat shitty teams like the skins, giants, raiders and the eagles backups to kill any chance of that.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Glad to see Georgia win. Roquan Smith is a monster I was hoping would somehow fall to us. Too bad we had to beat shitty teams like the skins, giants, raiders and the eagles backups to kill any chance of that.
No kidding.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Clemson’s “QB” is a fucking joke. He and Jalen Hurts are making this game almost unwatchable.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Great. An all SEC national championship game. :budd

midswat

... soon
Tough loss [MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION]. I was rooting hard for your team.... which is why Oklahoma probably lost. Football gods hate me.

:sad

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That’s exactly what happened. The play calling was just too conservative. The offense was running wild in the first half. Runs and dink and dunk was the calls for the entire 3fd quarter and half way through the 4th. The OT plays were just plain pathetic. What a waste of good players abilities. Riley got the team there with players ability but froze when they were needed most to close the deal. It was almost like Bob Stoops was still the coach.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Aside from this game, the biggest problem continues to be something that I've been harping on for over 5 years now. Oklahoma needs to get away from the mindset that they have to build their defensive roster to contend with Big 12 offenses. I say that because as soon as they roll into these championship type games against another elite Power 5 team the defense gets mauled in the trenches because they are too small.

I've been singing this same song since around 2012. If you're a program of Oklahoma's caliber, winning the conference championship should be an afterthought. The goal should be to build their roster to compete with the Clemsons and Alabamas of college football. Not the Baylors and TCUs. Until they make that philosophical change it's going to be more of the same.

I'm hoping that Mike Stoops leaves and change comes about with his departure. Because as conservative as the play calling was down the stretch, if you score 48 points (41 on offense) in a game you should win that game. Mike Stoops is completely dependent upon the offense putting up 45+ points most weeks to cover for his defensive unit. If he's back next year we're probably going to lose 3 or 4 games because there will undoubtedly be a drop off on offense with Mayfield gone.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Aside from this game, the biggest problem continues to be something that I've been harping on for over 5 years now. Oklahoma needs to get away from the mindset that they have to build their defensive roster to contend with Big 12 offenses. I say that because as soon as they roll into these championship type games against another elite Power 5 team the defense gets mauled in the trenches because they are too small.

I've been singing this same song since around 2012. If you're a program of Oklahoma's caliber, winning the conference championship should be an afterthought. The goal should be to build their roster to compete with the Clemsons and Alabamas of college football. Not the Baylors and TCUs. Until they make that philosophical change it's going to be more of the same.

I'm hoping that Mike Stoops leaves and change comes about with his departure. Because as conservative as the play calling was down the stretch, if you score 48 points (41 on offense) in a game you should win that game. Mike Stoops is completely dependent upon the offense putting up 45+ points most weeks to cover for his defensive unit. If he's back next year we're probably going to lose 3 or 4 games because there will undoubtedly be a drop off on offense with Mayfield gone.
All very true. I was just looking at this particular game and as well as some of the players performed it was evident that the offense would have to be the trump card for this game and they were throttled at a crucial time when they should have been turned loose and buried the opponent. Everyone knew that going in.

You philosophical assessment about the team structure for the future is right on.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Tough loss [MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION]. I was rooting hard for your team.... which is why Oklahoma probably lost. Football gods hate me.

:sad
:lol Trust me, it's not on you. Fall short is what Oklahoma has done in every playoff/title games since 2000.

However on the bright side it was definitely the closest we've come to winning one of these game since that 2000 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom