2017 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'm just glad it's not Schiano or Doeren.

I thought it was BS protesting Schiano over the PSU stuff which was flimsy at best in regarding him. Problem is there's no way he should've been the top target in the first place except for the fact the top booster is Jim Haslam who happens to also be the incompetent owner of the Browns. Then to run back to Gundy after he turned us down last time and is obviously an Okie St lifer was ludicrous. Rumors also have it we were going to offer Brohm but then the Chancellor nixed us paying his buyout. TN admin couldn't possibly have botched this any worse than they did. If they pull Leach or anyone other than an assistant or FCS coach then they got lucky as hell.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'm sure that Leach will get along great with the admins and boosters.

Can you imagine what would happen if he loses a game and then goes off on a rant about weddings or Tech being crooks? Lulululu

D

Deuce

You’re severely overrating your relevance.

Also I was never interested in sumlin. Outside of one very good year with Manzel, he’s been 8-5 coach. Meh.
a thallus, I think this entire ordeal is about Tennessee overrating their relevance.

midswat

... soon
Just reading around a little this morning and a lot of people are saying this would be a great hire. A number of jokes that the last guy we offered turns out to be the best guy for us comical we came to him after all the others, instead of first.

My concerns with him:

1. Not real sure the Air Raid is an SEC offense.
2. Word is he's not a very good recruiter.
3. Word is his defenses are usually shit.

So.... while this is an A+ hire in comparison to Schiano or Doeren alternatives, I'm not sure this will ultimately grade out as an A hire 3-5 years down the road.

I would've preferred a number of other guys. I wish Brohm was the guy. But I'll support Leach.

midswat

... soon
a thallus, I think this entire ordeal is about Tennessee overrating their relevance.
Fans have a tendency to do that. But when you have the money, history, facilities, 103k capacity stadium, conference etc like Tennessee does... the fan base should never settle for a Dave Doeren or Greg Schiano hire.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Just reading around a little this morning and a lot of people are saying this would be a great hire. A number of jokes that the last guy we offered turns out to be the best guy for us comical we came to him after all the others, instead of first.

My concerns with him:

1. Not real sure the Air Raid is an SEC offense.
2. Word is he's not a very good recruiter.
3. Word is his defenses are usually shit.

So.... while this is an A+ hire in comparison to Schiano or Doeren alternatives, I'm not sure this will ultimately grade out as an A hire 3-5 years down the road.

I would've preferred a number of other guys. I wish Brohm was the guy. But I'll support Leach.
Pretty accurate assessment of Leach. But I will add this to give you a little bit of hope.

This will easily be the best coaching job he's ever landed. He's never had the level of talent and speed that he's going to get from athletes at Tennessee. Remember his only two HC stints were at Texas Tech and Wash State. Those programs usually only get their hands on marginal 3 star recruits. At Tennessee he's going to have a helluva lot more talent to work with and he should be able to attract a much better defensive coordinator as well.

So I wouldn't just concede that he'll be a 3-5 year washout just yet. At least not until you see what type of defensive staff he can put together. As long as he can land a solid QB, scoring points shouldn't be an issue.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He will always get a QB. He even had a chance at Mayfield at Washington State. He will be entertaining at least. Both offensively and with the media.

The DC will be key for sure.

midswat

... soon
Pretty accurate assessment of Leach. But I will add this to give you a little bit of hope.

This will easily be the best coaching job he's ever landed. He's never had the level of talent and speed that he's going to get from athletes at Tennessee. Remember his only two HC stints were at Texas Tech and Wash State. Those programs usually only get their hands on marginal 3 star recruits. At Tennessee he's going to have a helluva lot more talent to work with and he should be able to attract a much better defensive coordinator as well.

So I wouldn't just concede that he'll be a 3-5 year washout just yet. At least not until you see what type of defensive staff he can put together. As long as he can land a solid QB, scoring points shouldn't be an issue.
Yeah. He did get Texas Tech to #1 and WSU to #9, so in time we should be in the SEC Championship

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That is a special level of stalking right there. :lol

Cotton

Staff member
Fuck me.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Supposedly looking at Kevin sumlin next.

Not sure how I feel about that.
They could do a lot worse.

If I were a Vols fan, I'd actually be happy to get Sumlin at this point. As bad as that job looks right now, I think you'd have to be happy to at least get that.

Take Sumlin for a year, get rid of him of he doesn't do well next season, and start the process fresh and new.

But for now? It's been handled so poorly that I think Sumlin would probably be the best you could hope for at this point.

Cotton

Staff member
I was holding onto a sliver of hope that he would hang on at WS one more year. Then, when Kingsbury is gone next year, he could come take over here at Tech.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

midswat

... soon
I was holding onto a sliver of hope that he would hang on at WS one more year. Then, when Kingsbury is gone next year, he could come take over here at Tech.
You might get your wish.

Seriously doubt we settle for leach now.

:towel

midswat

... soon
Gruden might very well be back in play.

Soon. (Hopefully)

If Fulmer takes over as AD and the admin sticks up to Haslam then we very well could end up with Gruden. Flame away fuckers. Idgaf

Cotton

Staff member
"Settle". You Vol fans really are spoiled.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Gruden might very well be back in play.

Soon. (Hopefully)
Don’t know that I would want Gruden. My experience has been that someone who leaves a profession for a length of time then comes back is not as effective as they were previously. I think this probably fits coaching as well.

midswat

... soon
God damn it. It’s still Haslam in control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom