Senior Bowl Stuff...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since no one is helping me with this I looked it up. Pretty interesting group of QBs.

Ryan Finley
Will Grier
Daniel Jones
Drew Lock
Trace McSorley
Gardner Minshew II
Jarrett Stidham
Clayton Thorson

Personally I hate that they pick so many QBs. They should have eliminated Thorson and McSorley and gone with 6 but I get that they want to show off extra guys in practice. These rest are a pretty interesting group though. I'm curious if Lock, Finley or Grier can kind of climb into the first round discussion in this draft.

Daniel Jones is already a first rounder but if someone can kind of stand next to him and look like they are in his class they may be able to get into that first round discussion as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Senior Bowl primer: NFL draft prospects you need to know

The next step in the 2019 NFL draft evaluation process has arrived.

NFL teams will descend on Mobile, Alabama, this week for the Senior Bowl, an invite-only showcase event for the best upperclassman prospects in college football. But first, we are treated to three days of practice, including 90-minute sessions for each team on Tuesday, and two-hour sessions on Wednesday and Thursday. Coverage on Wednesday and Thursday begins at 1:30 p.m. ET on ESPNU/ESPN App, and the game is Saturday at 2:30 p.m. ET on NFL Network.

Our NFL draft experts -- Todd McShay, Mel Kiper Jr. and Steve Muench -- pick the best and most intriguing prospects who will be in Mobile.

QB reports | Best of the rest | Potential risers [HR][/HR]McSHAY SCOUTS EVERY QUARTERBACK

Expectations are different for every quarterback who accepts an invite to Mobile. Here's what ESPN NFL draft expert Todd McShay is hoping to see out of every signal-caller this week, along with their quarterback ranking from Scouts Inc.:
Drew Lock, Missouri

Team: North | Uniform number: 3 | QB ranking: 3

Big (6-3, 228), athletic and equipped with a strong arm, Lock is a poor man's Patrick Mahomes. It was his first year in a pro-style offense, as well as his first season making pre-snap checks and kills, setting protections and making full-field progression reads, and it took him some time to catch up mentally. Lock still needs to be more consistent with his decision-making under pressure and his accuracy, which stems from inconsistent footwork. But there's no denying his talent. He is the most naturally gifted of the Senior Bowl quarterbacks, and I think he has the most to gain during the week. Drew Lock has a big arm and is very athletic. He could have a big week in Mobile. Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Will Grier, West Virginia

Team: South | Uniform number: 7 | QB ranking: 4

Grier is the biggest name in arguably the best top-to-bottom class of pass-throwers that I've scouted at the Senior Bowl. He has just average size (6-foot-2, 221 pounds), but he's a good athlete and can extend a lot of plays with his feet. He has a gunslinger arm and good accuracy on all three levels. However, Grier likes to see his wide receiver open before throwing, so I'll be looking for him to throw with more anticipation this week. He was the first quarterback to sit out his bowl game and will surely be answering questions about that all week long.

Ryan Finley, NC State

Team: North | Uniform number: 15 | QB ranking: 5

Finley has a tall but somewhat linear frame at 6-foot-3 and 208 pounds, and his velocity is average on zip throws. But I think he has adequate-to-good delivery quickness with an over-the-top stroke, and he shows very good touch and anticipatory accuracy. Finley is particularly adept at leading receivers, and he gets the ball out on time, going through his progressions quickly. He is coming off one of his worst career performances in the Gator Bowl, but he ought to really impress coaches in QB meetings and have a steady week to help his stock in Mobile.
Daniel Jones, Duke

Team: North | Uniform number: 17 | QB ranking: 6 2019 NFL DRAFT

Jones is one of the best-coached QBs in the class with three seasons under David Cutcliffe and having spent time with the Manning family. He has adequate-to-good arm strength, but he has a longer, slower delivery. He really needs to speed it up without messing with his natural mechanics too much. I saw a lot of shorter throws to wide-open windows from him at Duke, so I'm looking forward to seeing him make more intermediate and downfield throws this week. I wouldn't call him a twitchy athlete, but he has adequate pocket mobility to extend some plays and rare top-end speed for a 6-foot-5, 220-pound QB -- a real pursuit-angle killer in the open field.
Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

Team: South | Uniform number: 8 | QB ranking: 7

A 6-foot-3, 215-pound pure passer with impressive natural arm talent, Stidham was an up-and-down performer as a two-year starter at Auburn. But the system didn't feature many intermediate anticipation throws, which makes it hard to evaluate that aspect of his game -- a very important aspect for the NFL. So the biggest thing this week is seeing him make those throws as he works with Kyle Shanahan's San Francisco 49ers coaching staff in Mobile.
Gardner Minshew, Washington State

Team: South | Uniform number: 16 | QB ranking: 8

Minshew put up huge numbers in a passer-friendly system, completing 71 percent and throwing 38 touchdowns to nine interceptions this season. The Baker Mayfield-esque energy and confidence stand out. Minshew can make full-field reads, and he displays adequate arm strength and above-average accuracy on tape. But he needs to show he can hit the strike zone when working with smaller windows. Scouts will want to see how the 6-foot-2, 220-pounder does under center with the timing of his drops and anticipating throws this week. Right now, he is a Day 3 prospect. play 1:45 Kiper predicts 3 QBs to go in first round of NFL draft

Mel Kiper Jr. has the Giants, Dolphins and Patriots selecting a quarterback in the first round in his first NFL mock draft for 2019.

Trace McSorley, Penn State

Team: North | Uniform number: 9 | QB ranking: 10

Yes, he's undersized (6-foot, 198 pounds), but he can hold up physically -- I love his toughness -- and he's an elite competitor. McSorley completed a high percentage of throws but had a lot of short passes and 50-50 balls. I really want to see him fit the ball into tight windows down the field this week. McSorley is a Day 3 prospect who could wind up sticking around as a backup in a West Coast system -- which we will get a peek at this week with Jon Gruden's Oakland Raiders coaching staff leading the North team.
Tyree Jackson, Buffalo

Team: South | Uniform number: 3 | QB ranking: 16

Jackson is massive (6-foot-7, 245 pounds) with a huge arm and good mobility, but he's inconsistent with his lower-body mechanics and ball placement. He lacks touch on some short throws and needs to keep his eyes up while moving in the pocket. The biggest thing he needs to show in Mobile is the ability to process quicker. He gets stuck on his primary target too long. Even so, Jackson has a lot of developmental upside as a Day 3 project pick.

Note: Wondering about Clayton Thorson? The Northwestern quarterback pulled out of the Senior Bowl. [HR][/HR]KIPER PICKS BEST OF THE REST

McShay just went through the quarterbacks at the Senior Bowl, so we asked ESPN NFL draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. to break down the other top prospects in Mobile:
Oshane Ximines, OLB, Old Dominion

Team: South | Uniform number: 7

There are several potential first-round edge rushers in Mobile, and the list starts with Ximines, whom I had in the first round of my Mock Draft 1.0. At 6-foot-3, 253 pounds, he has a similar frame to DeMarcus Ware, who went in Round 1 in 2005 at 6-foot-4, 251 pounds. And Ximines' explosion at the point of attack reminds me of Ware. He's going to win some one-on-one battles this week.
Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State

Team: South | Uniform number: 9

Sweat is another pass-rusher I put in my Mock Draft 1.0, but he has a different frame -- and game -- than Ximines. At 6-foot-6, 241 pounds, Sweat has room to grow into his body, but he's a superb athlete. He has an outstanding takeoff at the snap and has already developed good pass-rushing moves. Sweat is a true 4-3 defensive end at the next level.
Anthony Johnson, WR, Buffalo

Team: South | Uniform number: 83

The receiver-cornerback one-on-ones are some of the most-watched portions of practice in Mobile. Johnson, the best wideout there, should give the corners fits. When he's healthy, he's a touchdown machine (25 in two seasons). And at 6-foot-2, 210 pounds, he has great size. I want to see his true speed, however. Johnson is likely a Day 2 pick right now. Scouts will be watching Anthony Johnson go one-on-one with corners this week, and potentially catch some passes
Zach Allen, DE/DT, Boston College

Team: North | Uniform number: 44

I have Allen ranked as my No. 4 defensive end right now, but at 6-foot-5, 285 pounds, he has the size to play defensive tackle. The best spot for him might be as an end in a 3-4 defense, where he could hold up against the run and also get after quarterbacks. He was extremely consistent for the Eagles the past two seasons, and he can beat offensive linemen with skill moves and a straight-arm push. Allen is a handful.
Elgton Jenkins, C, Mississippi State

Team: South | Uniform number: 74

Jenkins is the top-ranked center on my board. He played guard and tackle for the Bulldogs, too, and he could get some reps at guard in Mobile. I wouldn't be surprised if he went in Round 1 to a team trying to shore up its interior line.
Jaylon Ferguson, DE, Louisiana Tech

Team: South | Uniform number: 45

Ferguson had 45 sacks in his four-year career -- 17.5 this season -- and set the record for most sacks in FBS history. He pushed around offensive tackles in Conference USA. Can Ferguson (6-5, 260) do the same at the Senior Bowl? I want to see him and Ximines against some experienced tackles this week.
Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State

Team: North | Uniform number: 21 EDITOR'S PICKS

Oruwariye is the top corner in Mobile, and he's another prospect who could rise up my board with a strong showing. He had seven interceptions and 20 more pass breakups over the past two seasons. And at 6-foot-1, 203 pounds, he has the size that NFL teams look for in young, developmental corners. Does he have elite speed? I'm not sure, and that's what's holding him back from being a Day 2 lock.
Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State

Team: South | Uniform number: 38

Abram is extremely physical. He'll set the tone in the middle of a defense. This isn't a great place to showcase those skills -- there's not much full-speed tackling -- so he needs to show that he can cover and run with receivers and tight ends. Abram (6-0, 215) is the No. 3 safety on my board and could jump into the first-round discussion with a good week.
Beau Benzschawel, G, Wisconsin

Team: North | Uniform number: 66

Benzschawel (6-6, 315) is a powerful road grader who is going to win some reps in Mobile with his brute strength. He's my No. 3-ranked guard. Also keep an eye on my No. 4-ranked guard Dalton Risner, who played mostly tackle at Kansas State but has the size (6-5, 300) to play in the interior at the next level.
Te'von Coney, ILB, Notre Dame

Team: North | Uniform number: 9

With 100-plus tackles in each of the past two seasons, Coney is great against the run. Where I'd like to see improvement is in the passing game, as he can be stiff when trying to cover tight ends. Coney (6-1, 240) is the fifth-ranked inside linebacker on my board. He could play in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense. [HR][/HR]UNDER-THE-RADAR PROSPECTS WHO COULD RISE

Looking for some draft sleepers? Scouts Inc. NFL draft insider Steve Muench picks out a few prospects who might move up the draft board with solid practices in Mobile:
Nasir Adderley, S, Delaware

Team: North | Uniform number: 23

Adderley is a versatile defensive back who lined up at corner his first two seasons at Delaware, and his above-average cover skills should stand out among the safeties. He's built like a corner and he doesn't project as a box safety in the NFL, but he's an aggressive run defender who plays with a chip on his shoulder and doesn't shy away from contact.
Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois

Team: North | Uniform number: 99

Listed at 6-foot-2 and 310 pounds, Saunders is built like a fire hydrant, and he's tough to neutralize with one blocker when teams run inside. He flashes as a pass-rusher, and Western Illinois' willingness to line him up at defensive end on downs with pass-heavy tendencies is a testament to his athletic ability. A strong week could put him in the Day 2 conversation.
Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State

Team: South | Uniform number: 58

Howard is an outstanding pass-blocker with an above-average blend of quickness, length and balance. He held his own going up against Auburn's talented defensive line early in the 2018 season. Howard is a functional positional blocker in the run game, and he has experience playing on the left and right side, making him an excellent No. 3 swing tackle candidate early in his career.
Renell Wren, DT, Arizona State

Team: North | Uniform number: 95

Wren is a versatile defensive lineman with the length, frame and athletic ability to play on the inside in a base four-man front or the outside in a base three-man front in the NFL. His statistical production is underwhelming -- he finished his career with just three sacks -- but his tape is better than the numbers suggest and he has the natural ability to greatly improve his stock this week.
Donald Parham, TE, Stetson

Team: North | Uniform number: 49

Listed at 6-foot-8 and 240 pounds, Parham is a big target with a rare catching radius and good hands. He's smooth transitioning upfield after the catch and is a long strider with good top-end speed. He's at his best working out of the slot. His lean frame raises some concern about his ability to develop into an effective in-line blocker in the NFL, but he gets into position and fights to sustain. Tight ends aren't asked to do as much in terms of blocking as they once were.
Charles Omenihu, DE, Texas

Team: North | Uniform number: 90

Omenihu is an improving hand fighter with excellent length, and he's versatile enough to kick inside to rush the passer in the NFL. He flashes the ability to stack blockers, track the ball and shed in time to make plays as a run defender. His pad level is worth monitoring, though, as he plays high and gives ground at times. Charles Omenihu's work on the defensive line will be on full display this week, and he could rise up draft boards by the end of the week.
Terrill Hanks, OLB, New Mexico State

Team: South | Uniform number: 2

Hanks is a rangy run defender with good instincts and the length to keep blockers off his frame. His tightness in space is a concern when it comes to matching up in man and making plays in the open field. However, he's an above-average pass-rusher, and he flashes the ability to make plays in coverage as he finished his career with eight interceptions.
John Cominsky, DE, Charleston

Team: North | Uniform number: 5

Cominsky is a dominant FCS player who is a disruptive edge run defender with the frame and versatility to develop into an effective interior pass-rusher. While he has the height-weight-speed combination to make the jump from Division II Charleston to the NFL, his technique will need to get better. Two areas to watch this week are his pad level and his ability to win with his hands in one-on-ones.
Tony Pollard, RB/WR, Memphis

Team: North | Uniform number: 1

Pollard averaged 121.5 all-purpose yards per game at Memphis and tied the NCAA record with seven career kickoff returns for touchdown. His frame, big-play ability and background make him an intriguing prospect considering the ways NFL teams are using their backs in the passing game.
Trevon Wesco, TE, West Virginia

Team: South | Uniform number: 88

Wesco is a junior college transfer who didn't put up big numbers at West Virginia, and he's not much of a deep threat, but he has the potential to develop into a reliable possession receiver who is deceptively shifty after the catch. He's got the toughness, frame and strength to develop into an effective in-line blocker at the NFL level.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Man, I love this version. That primer looks sharp. Props for posting.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State

Team: South | Uniform number: 38

Abram is extremely physical. He'll set the tone in the middle of a defense. This isn't a great place to showcase those skills -- there's not much full-speed tackling -- so he needs to show that he can cover and run with receivers and tight ends. Abram (6-0, 215) is the No. 3 safety on my board and could jump into the first-round discussion with a good week.
He is not going to play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So Hunter Renfro looked good today. May make for an excellent Beasley replacement.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beasley doesn’t need replacing. His role with the team is highly successful when used properly.
He is a free agent and has at least indicated he wants to go wherever he will see the most throws his direction. He is obviously unhappy in Dallas with the amount of plays he is getting so I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks he can do better with another team. But sure if he resigns in Dallas he wouldn't need replaced.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best quarterbacks, NFL draft risers and more from Day 1 at Senior Bowl

The first practices of the 2019 Senior Bowl are in the books. With one session down for each team, NFL draft experts Todd McShay and Steve Muenchbreak down how the best prospects fared on Day 1, which under-the-radar prospects are rising and more.

Note: Coverage of Wednesday's and Thursday's practices begin at 1:30 p.m. ET on ESPNU/ESPN App. [HR][/HR]QUARTERBACK REPORT

Let's look at how the signal-callers did on Day 1, along with their quarterback ranking from Scouts Inc.:
Drew Lock, Missouri

Team: North | Uniform number: 3 | QB ranking: 3 2019 NFL DRAFT

Lock is big (6-foot-3, 223 pounds), possesses a strong arm and shows athleticism, but he was inconsistent on touch throws and when on the move Tuesday. It was similar to what you see from him on tape. He really needs to become more consistent with his trajectory on touch throws and deeper passes. And a big talking point of the day was his 9-inch hands at the weigh-in. It was pretty surprising and is obviously a concern when it comes to ball security, pump fakes and handling poor weather. -- McShay

Will Grier, West Virginia

Team: South | Uniform number: 7 | QB ranking: 4

Grier looked pretty good on drops from under center Tuesday. It's all new to him, but he seemed comfortable for the most part and showed quick feet. I felt he was decisive when passing if his first read provided the answer, but he still tends to lock onto his primary target too long at times. He did show off a stronger arm than expected but was a little inconsistent when throwing on the move and out of play-action. -- McShay

Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

Team: South | Uniform number: 8 | QB ranking: 7

I thought Stidham got more comfortable as the day progressed. There's no denying the strong arm and smooth stroke, and he was at his best on out-breaking routes Tuesday. He was late on some of his reads but seemed to improve as he settled in. It'll be something to keep an eye on during the course of the week, as will hitting his spots. He missed within the strike zone too often, and it cost his wide receivers yards-after-the-catch potential throughout the afternoon. --

Tyree Jackson, Buffalo

Team: South | Uniform number: 3 | QB ranking: 16

Wow, this kid is just massive in person (measured at 6-foot-7 and 249 pounds), and he has the strongest arm of the group. He has a long-levered delivery and appeared a bit heavy-footed on drops, but because he's so tall, it's hard for him to consistently get his footwork and balance correct. He overshot a deep ball to an open wide receiver at one point in the 7-on-7 drill. -- McShay

Other quarterback notes from McShay:
  • Duke's Daniel Jones showed good anticipation and touch on some intermediate routes. He even let a couple of strong deeper throws fly, something you don't see a ton of on Duke tape -- although he overshot a deep ball that he should have connected on.
  • Ryan Finley of NC State was consistent and accurate on short-to-intermediate passes. His quick reads and ability to make intermediate timing throws stood out. He played it safe on a lot of the throws I saw him make today -- a lot of check downs -- and his arm strength is average at best.
  • Washington State's Gardner Minshew was decisive and got the ball out quickly, but he has an average arm and didn't take a lot of chances vertically, playing it safe most of practice. He was missing within the strike zone quite a bit, and I want to see that improve throughout the week.
  • As expected, Penn State's Trace McSorley is the smallest of the eight Senior Bowl quarterbacks (6-0 1/4, 200 pounds). His hand-span (9.25 inches) is on the smaller side too. He has average arm strength and doesn't drive it like some of these other guys, but he is very comfortable throwing on the move, and the ball placement on short-to-intermediate throws was pretty good overall.
[HR][/HR]DAY 1 DRAFT RISERS

These are the under-the-radar prospects who had a strong day of practice and whose college tape deserves closer inspection:
Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina

Team: South | Uniform number: 1

Samuel showcased his ability to stretch the field during one-on-ones, and it's not just about his speed. He quickly beats press coverage and tracks the ball well. He made a nice over-the-shoulder catch during practice. He also knows how to use his hands to create late separation without blatantly pushing off. -- Muench
Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State

Team: North | Uniform number: 10

This kid just ran right by cornerbacks on two occasions, using his wheels on some vertical routes. The speed is real. He was the fastest player tracked Tuesday (22.2 mph max speed), according to Zebra Technology. -- McShay
Tyre Brady, WR, Marshall

Team: South | Uniform number:11

The 6-foot-3, 206-pound Brady looks like a natural pass-catcher with good length and big hands. His physicality and ability to quickly build speed stood out during one-on-ones. He looked explosive. -- Muench

David Long Jr., LB, West Virginia

Team: South | Uniform number: 11

Long stood out a few times in team drills, and sure seemed to be around the ball a lot. He's a player I have not done tape on yet, and I'm interested to see if he continues to make plays this week. -- McShay

L.J. Collier, DE, TCU

Team: North | Uniform number: 91

During one-on-ones Tuesday, Collier overpowered Kansas State offensive tackle Dalton Risner and then showcased his versatility by kicking inside to beat Charlotte guard Nate Davis with a nice push pull move. He moved well after weighing in at 280 pounds and he has excellent length (34-plus-inch arms). -- Muench [HR][/HR]QUICK HITTERS

Here are some additional scouting notes on players who stood out on the practice field:

McShay:
  • Mississippi State defensive end Montez Sweat had a strong first day. He flashed some power, including knocking Alabama State offensive tackle Tytus Howard over on a power move. Sweat has a lot of speed and bend off the edge. He had some great battles Tuesday with Washington State OT Andre Dillard.
  • San Jose State tight end Josh Oliver had a good showing on Day 1. He has average speed but solid size (6-4, 246) and very good ball skills. He's showing that he's a reliable target in the passing game.
  • Offensive linemen Dru Samia (Oklahoma) and Ross Pierschbacher(Alabama) were very good in the run game. Jacksonville State's B.J. Autryalso had some dominating snaps in the run game, even though he's not much of an athlete and has limitations in pass protection.
  • Boston College tight end Tommy Sweeney isn't much of a vertical threat and doesn't offer much run-after-catch ability, but he catches everything in his zip code. And he was a really consistent route runner Tuesday, making a lot of plays in 7-on-7 and team units.
  • UMass receiver Andy Isabella showed off his quickness and speed. He might just be the quickest wide receiver in attendance.
  • Western Illinois defensive lineman Khalen Saunders, who stayed in Mobile even while his fiancée was in labor, impressed with a perfect backflip at the end of practice. It's pretty impressive seeing a 320-pound defensive lineman pull that off in person.
Muench:
  • Houston cornerback Isaiah Johnson and Buffalo wide receiver Anthony Johnson got into some physical battles during one-on-ones.
  • Texas A&M defensive tackle Daylon Mack ran over Pierschbacher, winning with hands and leverage. You'd like to see Mack vary his pass-rush moves, though, and that's an area of improvement to watch this week.
  • The North offensive line got pushed around a little during one-on-ones, and it will be interesting to see how it responds Wednesday.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
[h=1]Film room: 5 potential Cowboys NFL draft targets who are improving their stock at the Senior Bowl[/h] [h=2]This Story is About...[/h]
[h=4]Share This Story On...[/h]
Butch Dill/AP

South center Ross Pierschbacher of Alabama (71) runs drills with South defensive tackle Daylon Mack of Texas A&M (34) during practice for Saturday's Senior Bowl college football game, Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2019, in Mobile, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)By John Owning Contact John Owningon Twitter:@JohnOwning
MOBILE, Ala.-- The Senior Bowl has been good to the Dallas Cowboys in recent years. Dak Prescott and Zack Martin tested their talents in Mobile before being selected by the Cowboys in the NFL.

The Cowboys hope that this year's crop of Senior Bowl prospects will bear similar fruit. Luckily for them, Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy has done an excellent job amassing one of the most talented crops of prospects in recent memory.

Every player descends on Mobile with the hopes of improving his NFL draft stock. However, only a few players truly succeed in that endeavor. With that being said, here are five players who are off to an awfully good start:

ADVERTISING

Chuma Edoga, USC, OT

Even though his tape was rough at times while starting at right tackle for USC, Edoga has looked extremely comfortable in pass protection at left tackle this week.

Measuring in at just under 6-foot-3 and 303 pounds, Edoga is on the smaller side for an offensive tackle, but his 34-7/8-inch arms more than make up for it.

Josh Norris✔@JoshNorris
· Jan 22, 2019
Nice rep from Chuma Edoga at LT. With the focus on Risner, Dillard and others, Edoga has a chance to show his best. I liked what I saw when watching his games.
Embedded video

Josh Norris✔@JoshNorris
And another. Running an edge rusher around the arc is a win. pic.twitter.com/16DoIiW8q1
8:02 PM - Jan 22, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Embedded video
See Josh Norris's other Tweets
Edoga isn't without his warts, as his base tends to get too narrow at the point of attack, but his movement skills and length has impressed thus far. Edoga can mirror defenders around the edge well, and his long arms allow to him to initiate contact and disrupt the timing of a defender's pass rush. Edoga has paired his length with impressive hand timing and placement, which allows him to effectively stymie rushers in one-on-one pass rush drills.

When Edoga did miss with his initial strike, his lateral movement ability allowed him to recover or push the pass rusher past the pocket.
Embedded video

Josh Norris✔@JoshNorris
Nice rep from Chuma Edoga at LT. With the focus on Risner, Dillard and others, Edoga has a chance to show his best. I liked what I saw when watching his games.
7:58 PM - Jan 22, 2019
44 people are talking about this
Boston College's Zach Allen came in as one of the highest regarded defensive linemen attending the Senior Bowl, and Edoga shut him down rather easily.

Likely a Day 3 pick, Edoga is the type of player you can stash at the end of a roster in the hopes that he can develop into an effective swing tackle. Even though Edoga would probably never challenge Tyron Smith or La'el Collins for a starting tackle job, his movement ability and length make him an ideal project for Cowboys offensive line coach Marc Colombo to develop over the next couple years.

Why Is This Car an Icon in the Windy City? - Why Is This Car an Icon in the Windy City?

SPONSORED CONTENT [h=2]Why Is This Car an Icon in the Windy City?[/h] By Mazda

Regular season, offseason, draft season ... be the smartest Cowboys fan in any season!

Get the latest news, analysis and insights delivered right to your inbox FREE.

Email*

By signing up you agree to our privacy policy

Sign me up!
Penny Hart, WR, Georgia State

With Cole Beasley scheduled to become a free agent, the Cowboys would be wise to invest in a replacement in the 2019 NFL draft if he isn't re-signed. Luckily for Dallas, there appears to be a plethora of effective slot receivers in this year's draft class.

While everyone fawns over UMass' Andy Isabella, Georgia State's Penny Hart has arguably been just as good and will likely come at a reduced price. After measuring at 5-foot-8 and 180 pounds, Hart needed to impress from the slot. And boy did he.

Hart's outstanding route-running has been on full display this week. He's a blur coming off the line of scrimmage, which allows him to quickly eat up the cornerback's cushion from off coverage. Moreover, Hart has been excellent at creating separation on the top of his routes. Hart's routes are incredibly smooth, crisp and absent of unnecessary movement, which allows him to take advantage of any mistake a cornerback makes.
Embedded video
20 people are talking about this
He did have one drop over the middle during Tuesday's practice, but overall, Hart has shown reliable hands, impressing with his ability to snatch targets away from his frame, which maximizes his catch radius. This is incredibly important for smaller receivers who don't have the size to box out defenders at the catch point.
Embedded video

Brad Kelly@BradKelly17
Georgia State slot WR Penny Hart getting extra punt return reps in during pre-practice. Averaged over 17 yards per punt return with 1 touchdown in 2018. Versatility is one of his strengths. #SeniorBowl
3:25 PM - Jan 22, 2019
See Brad Kelly's other Tweets
On top of his ability as a slot, Hart also brings some return ability to the table, an area the Cowboys desperately need more production from.

If the Cowboys are looking for a mid-round slot option who is refined and ready to make an impact, Hart is one of the top options.

Isaiah Buggs, DT, Alabama

Measuring in at 6-foot-2 and 295 pounds, Alabama defensive lineman Isaiah Buggs is a dense wrecking ball on the interior defensive line.

Thus far, Buggs hasn't disappointed, as he's been disruptive thus far in Mobile. Buggs boasts incredible power at the point-of-attack, which allows him to hold his ground at the point-of-attack against the run or collapse the pocket as a pass rusher.
Embedded video
See All22Hype's other Tweets
During the one-on-one pass rush drills, Buggs showed an impressive spin move to complement his power-based rushing attack.

Antwaun Woods played well throughout the season, Caraun Reid came on late and Maliek Collins showed drastic improvement against the run. However, Dallas' interior defensive line was exposed against the Indianapolis Colts and Los Angeles Rams. The Cowboys need to infuse more talent into the defensive tackle positions, and Buggs would be a great opt on Day 2 of the 2019 NFL draft.

Buggs' power and refined technique at the point-of-attack give him the flexibility to play the nose (one-technique defensive tackle) or under tackle (three-technique defensive tackle) positions in Rod Marinelli's defense. That would make Buggs a valuable member of Dallas' interior defensive line rotation.

Bruce Anderson, RB, North Dakota State

Rod Smith is scheduled to become a free agent, and it wouldn't be surprising if he left Dallas to find a team where he could get more opportunities on offense. If that does become the case, the Cowboys are going to need to invest in a backup running back in the NFL draft or free agency.

If the draft is the route the Cowboys front office decides to go, North Dakota State's Bruce Anderson would be an excellent choice on Day 3 of the 2019 NFL draft.

While it's difficult to evaluate a running back's ability as a ball carrier during these All-Star practices, Anderson has thrived as a receiver out of the backfield. He ran impressive routes, demonstrating the ability to create separation with his crisp route running. While most running backs tend to round their cuts at the breakpoint, Anderson was sharp with his cuts, making it difficult for defenders to make a play on the ball.
Embedded video

Pro Football Focus✔@PFF
NDSU RB Bruce Anderson comes down with this catch from Tyree Jackson out at the Senior Bowl.
3:47 PM - Jan 22, 2019
18 people are talking about this
On top of that, he showed the ability to catch the ball away from his frame and over his head. Even when forced to make contested catches with contact, Anderson showed well.

Measuring in at 5-foot-11 and 209 pounds, Anderson could be a nice change-of-pace back for the Cowboys whose receiving ability is a valuable weapon on third downs when Ezekiel Elliott needs a breather.

Daylon Mack, NT, Texas A&M

If the Cowboys opt to continue their strategy of waiting until the later rounds to invest in a nose tackle, Texas A&M's Daylon Mack is as good of a choice as any.

Measuring in at 6-foot-1 and 327 pounds during the Senior Bowl weigh-ins, Mack is a stout player who is able to generate incredible force at the point of attack.

Ross O'Keefe@RossOKeefe2
Beautiful bull rush rep by Mack here. Good jump, inside hand placement, extend hips and drive. Leverage and power.
3:00 PM - Jan 22, 2019
196 people are talking about this
As a pass rusher, Mack is primarily a power rusher who uses his powerful lower body and deliberate hands to collapse the pocket with bull rushes (just ask Alabama center Ross Pierschbacher).

On top of that, Mack also showed the beginning stages of an effective arm-over move to counter offensive linemen who try to sit on his power rushers. Having said that, Mack does tend to drift too far outside when using his arm over, giving offensive linemen the ability to recover when initially beat.

Mack needs to take a tighter path after winning with his hands, or he's going to struggle with the effectiveness of his arm-over move. Still, it was nice to see that Mack is attempting to deepen his pass-rush repertoire, and it could pay off in the future.

Mack is at his best, however, when defending the run. Mack plays with excellent pad level, which allows him to continuously win the leverage battle at the point-of-attack. On top of that, Mack is deliberate with his hands, allowing him to consistently attain superior hand placement at the point-of-contact.

Mack's low center of gravity and effective hand placement allow him to reset the line of scrimmage against single blocks and hold his ground against double teams.

Mack doesn't have the positional flexibility of Buggs, so he would play primarily as a nose tackle in Dallas' defense. While he likely wouldn't add much to Dallas' interior defensive line as a pass rusher, he would be a great asset against the run, as he can hold his ground at the point-of-attack while occupying double teams. This would allow Dallas' linebackers to play to their strengths and flow to the ball without being immediately encumbered by offensive linemen climbing to the second level.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Whoa. Daniel Jeremiah just called Andre Dillard the best LT prospect in the whole draft.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I like Ryquell Armstead. Cowboys probably won't.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Interesting. The officials have cameras on their caps in this game.

I like that idea.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A few of the North players put Raiders decals on their helmets.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
How has Dexter Williams from ND been? I like him as a runner but his pass catching abilities have always been sketchy.

Top Bottom