Sturm's Draft Series

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I liked the Butler until I realized he wears the number 9. How ridiculous is that...

Jiggyfly

Banned
I love the player and there is no one that I would take over him at 34, to bad there is no way he makes it there.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm's draft profile series: Why Cowboys could be interested in Clemson CB Mackensie Alexander if he fell[/h]
By Bob Sturm, Special contributor

I have never been a scout or a NFL general manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It's no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can. To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, click here.

Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson -- 5-foot-10, 190 pounds - redshirt sophomore - No. 2

The first place to start when discussing cornerbacks in the 2016 NFL draft is that it doesn't appear the deepest class at this position we have seen, nor does it seem to have the top-shelf quality we always desire. There sure doesn't look to be a prospect at corner who checks all the boxes that you seek without any of the concerns. They all get knocked for something, but the top tier in most opinions consists of Florida State's Jalen Ramsey (a player who seems to be a better safety), Florida's Vernon Hargeaves (an undersized corner who may have some deep route issues), and Mackensie Alexander from Clemson.

Alexander is a player who started his only two seasons at Clemson as a corner who would follow some of the best receivers in the nation, and he often showed very well against them. This season alone, he played man-up against Notre Dame's Will Fuller, Oklahoma's Sterling Shepard and Alabama's Calvin Ridley. While none of those players would be considered giant receivers at all, they all appear to have the movement skills of top NFL prospects and a be handful for any corner at the college level. Well, Alexander did not struggle at all. In fact, he handled Sterling Shepard two years in a row and was more than happy to tell him all about it. Fuller was as quiet as he was all year. So, when it comes to not providing footage of him being burned, he is a very strong prospect.

But, does he make any explosive plays in the other direction? Well, in 27 games for Clemson -- behind a defensive front that was dominant -- he had zero interceptions, zero sacks and four tackles for loss. He also tested for rather small hands, leading some to believe that perhaps he doesn't have the tools to reel in too many passes at the next level, either. So, if you believe that the principle job of any defensive back is to stop offenses, he might be your guy. But, if you want a game-breaking ball hawk, this may not fit that description.

What I liked: He does not lack for confidence, that is for sure. He talks and gets in the face and head of his opponent with constant communication to verify that they are in a battle. He is a very aggressive corner who is most comfortable in man coverage where he can press up and maintain contact throughout the entire route. He will run hip to hip and not give a QB much to throw at. In fact, it becomes obvious rather quickly that you are dealing with a guy who chases away activity from the opponent and in many games he is on the wrong side of the field from the ball. This, of course, is a good thing and a reasonable explanation for not corralling interceptions. That stat is certainly overvalued by many football fans. He is physical for his size and willing to get involved in run support. He seems quite fast and quick, and capable against plenty of receivers who I think are top prospects themselves. There is a lot to like.

What I did not like: Well, he is 5-10, 190, and does not have the frame to indicate he will ever get on the other side of 200. So, he may not ever be a very good size matchup with the "X" receivers around the league. You may have to leave him in the slot which limits his utility and also his value. I assume most teams would not target a corner at the top of the draft unless they knew he could roll with Dez Bryant's physicality and size for 60 plays on a Sunday, and to be honest, you would have to question that if he is giving up 30 pounds to a very physical receiver. So, would he be a great cover for Will Fuller or Sterling Shepard? Yes. But, the value for that over 16 games is limited. He also is very "grabby," which means he is a candidate to be a referee's target at the next level.

Summary and potential fit with the Cowboys: He is a really fine player and there is a lot to like. I just wonder where the value should fall for one of the better corners in the 2016 class, but that might be more because there just aren't many 6-1 options who can also cover all the corners. Some years, there are just "good" corners and not great ones.

That said, he will likely go in Round 1 because he does possess attributes that are very desirable and, for the overall top reason: The NFL always needs more corners and there isn't a team that could not upgrade there. With 11 personnel now the base, every team needs three top quality starters at this spot and we all know that isn't a situation many teams can boast about.

Alexander has the right skill set and disposition. He is just a bit small and maybe not a guy who will go get the ball. But, if somehow he falls a bit, the Cowboys would probably be quite interested in a guy like this to assist their upcoming corner needs after 2016 (or perhaps even before that if this falls in their laps). Solid, yet undersized prospect.

You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I like Alexander's attitude. He has the corner mentality. Hargreaves does too. I just don't want either at four, but at thirty four, not much to complain about.

Cotton

Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm's draft profile series: Can the Dallas Cowboys fix Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg?[/h]
By Bob Sturm, Special contributor Contact Bob Sturmon Twitter:@SportsSturm

I have never been a scout or a NFL general manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It's no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can. To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, click here.

Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State - 6-foot-4, 234 pounds - junior - No. 14

The draft is filled with many stories and many circumstances that we need to try to figure out. In many cases, we are considering players that we had a real blank slate on when we enter the process. Unfortunately, being football fans, there are plenty of others where preconceived notions are difficult to avoid. And where has this ever been more the case than with Christian Hackenberg, the Penn State quarterback, who, just 24 months ago, was touted as a No. 1 overall pick in whatever draft he would choose to enter.

Before that point, he was a five-star recruit who was one of the many Penn State signings that decided to ignore the scandal and remain firm on his commitment despite the chance he was taking to join a program that was going to be rather hamstrung with talent and structure for a bit. With (now-Houston Texans head coach) Bill O'Brien, Hackenberg took the field as a true freshman and impressed all throughout the 2013 season as he made things at the college level look pretty easy.
Then, O'Brien left town, James Franklin took over, and Hackenberg's college career and pro draft value dropped lower and lower as the quarterback was sacked more times in the past two seasons (82) than any quarterback in college football. This led to many issues, including ridiculous statistics, poor habits and at times, a problematic demeanor. And that led to scouts and draft nerds alike trying to figure out what to make of the kid. He is as talented as they come and yet put some amazingly poor tape out in 2014 and 2015 where there were almost no examples of great games against reasonable opponents. But, there were flashes -- flashes that said somewhere amidst the chaos and the beatings he was taking that there is still a big-time quarterback with a big-time future if someone can find it.

What I liked: He is a very big man with a very big arm. He can make some very impressive NFL throws and he will make them on frozen ropes. He also can move around in the pocket (he got a lot of practice as his offensive line was quite substandard) and make throws on the run. He is a nice athlete. But, perhaps his best attribute is seemingly having the mental capacity that is required in the NFL, as his pre-snap reads and knowledge of defenses was there to see as he manipulated safeties and got his team into decent situations with his mind. This was difficult because, at a certain point, your guys have to block and catch, but I thought, looking at the quarterback's job and his ability to play in tough circumstances, he was able to show through at times. Again, all in doses, but the NFL is said to value "traits over production" and he definitely has traits that are rare.

What I did not like: Well, here is where it gets sticky. He was beaten up repeatedly so by 2015 that he had bad habits everywhere. First, his eye level was down -- which means when the pocket breaks down repeatedly, he is no longer seeing the field, but rather trying to save himself from getting rag-dolled again. He was actually sacked on a play (below) where Temple rushed two guys against six blockers and still got to him in two seconds. He also lost a lot of footwork, which then killed his accuracy. At times, he was throwing with all upper body, so as he sprayed simple throws under duress, it was usually because his feet were a mess. While there are no questions about his arm strength, one can watch these games in 2015 and certainly call into question his accuracy and his touch. There were throws left on the field and it seems that he needs to hit his targets better. What is disconcerting, of course, is it is rare for this to improve on Sundays. If you are missing throws under duress against Temple, odds are pretty good that will continue in the NFL. Also, his morale dropped more than a few times, which is not a great characteristic. Bad things are going to happen, and we can't have Jay Cutler's body language no matter how rough it gets. The team feeds off you -- either way.

Summary and potential fit with the Cowboys: There is no question that this one is a very tricky study. Part of me says that he is easily the best quarterback who is not in the "Big Three" group in terms of tools and traits and an impressive football brain. And then part of me wonders if the last few years of his career have ruined him and given him a permanent case of the jitters and happy feet and poor habits. He seems shell-shocked, but he is also only 21 years old.

I have no doubt that with the right amount of instruction, there are coaches at the next level that can imagine how to "fix him" and thereby gathering a top 10 talent far later in the draft. At the same time, I have no feel for where he will actually go. I hear some people say Day 3 and others - just as knowledgeable -- think he could go in Round 1. Honestly, the more you consider the case of Hackenberg, the more confusing it gets.

The tape is there (great in 2013; horrid in 2015). The talent is there. The reasonable idea was that when he had a coach and a scheme that knew how to use him, he was terrific. Then, things fell apart. Can he be salvaged? The Cowboys have brought him in for a personal workout. Could they fix him and let him learn for a few years? Would you trust the Cowboys coaches to be able to develop a quarterback like this?

I like a lot of things about him, but in the case of this prospect, how much you pay to get him and to try to fix all that is wrong might determine how you should feel about it.

Cotton

Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm's draft profile series: How promising Ohio State CB Eli Apple could appeal to the Dallas Cowboys[/h]

I have never been a scout or a NFL general manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can. To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, click here.

Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State - 6-foot-1, 200 pounds - redshirt sophomore - No. 13

If you were to design the perfect measurements for an NFL corner, he would likely be a player with the height of roughly 6-1, weight of about 200, a 40-yard dash time of around 4.40 and long arms. Mix in a physical and competitive disposition and you are then exactly where you want to be -- in the lab of designing a first round pick. And, even though this requires us to head back to our stack of Ohio State tapes for yet another Buckeye in this process, there is every reason to believe that Eli (formerly last name "Woodard") will have his name called on Day 1 for all of these reasons.

The corner crop this year is a bit difficult to read because you have some undersized players who seem to be at the top, and a lack of the new-age corner that breaks 6-foot, allowing a player like Apple -- who only played two seasons in Columbus -- to shoot right to the top of the list when he declared after playing all sorts of press coverage and press-bail in his time with the Buckeyes (which saw him step on the field in 2014 and play well from the first day on the job).

To break him down, we spent time on the Michigan State, Notre Dame and Penn State games in particular, with a few others sprinkled in for good measure -- primarily off his 2015 tape.

What I liked: Well, the thing that sticks out quickly with Eli Apple is immense athleticism for a man his size that allows him to run hip to hip with most any receiver he faces, as if he is one of those tiny corners but still is nearly the biggest a corner will ever be. This is superb, of course, because it offers very little for a quarterback to see which, in turn, results in very little action in his direction just about every game you watch. Opposing quarterbacks treat him as a shutdown corner and, although that is not a designation I am willing to place on him at this point of the NFL, he certainly has the characteristics to become that. He prefers and excels in press-man coverage, which could be improved upon with a little more physicality at the line of scrimmage, but even without textbook jams, he has no problem running with guys and mirroring them. He has pretty strong ball skills once he finds it in flight (not always a given). Also, he can tackle and play run support at times, but this is also part of the enigma of Apple -- he shows you he is capable of many things, just not consistent with them.

What I did not like: As I referenced above, you see him do things well in flashes, but there are times when his attention span wanders or his perhaps his intensity does. Regardless, there are times when he doesn't look particularly interested in run support, and times when he doesn't even look for the football in flight, which costs him. A great coverage corner can only be great if he knows where the ball is. But, the biggest issue that is not easily solvable with just a little more intensity is that he is overly physical with his man, and this has the real potential to make him a penalty machine. Surely, there are times when it seems like the NFL doesn't care about downfield grabbing and tugging and holding by its defensive backs (Seattle games, in particular), but when the league cracks down on offenders who defend with their hands too much, Apple will be a quick target. It is odd, because again, he doesn't jam his man, which suggests he isn't physical, but when they get 5-10 yards downfield, he is often all over the guy with frustrating physical tactics that he really doesn't need to employ because he is so athletic.

Summary and potential fit with the Cowboys: As I have indicated for just about every cornerback in this top 50, there is no question that every team in the league can use another big one. And, like so many bigger corners before him, it sure seems like he has all the attributes you seek in a guy who, at times, will completely shut down his side of the field.

I am awfully torn about this crop of corners because it is difficult to find a no-brainer who can lock down and make a difference on every play, but there are certainly a few who could grow into that role. Apple checks so many boxes and has always been the most athletic guy on the field in any game he has ever played. He is rarely attacked, very confident and when he is engaged, you can squint and see a real player here.

So, for a fit with Dallas: He is right there if they would choose to go get another corner. I prefer Jalen Ramsey as a football player, but that is because of his skill set at the safety position. If I am simply looking for a big corner with real lockdown potential, I think Apple has all the tools you would seek, and at 20 years old, his ceiling is quite high.

Cotton

Staff member
Bob Sturm's Draft Profile Series: Houston's William Jackson Can Do It All On the Corner

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, Click Here.

William Jackson, CB, Houston - 6'0, 189 - Senior - #3

Continuing to work our way through the top defensive backs in this draft, I finally get to a player that I know many of my colleagues in this endeavor have been talking up since the football season ended. William Jackson is the rare defensive back in this process who took the long way around to the top of the NFL draft, as this position generally is made up of 5-star high school recruits who have always been tabbed for stardom. But, here is a 3-star corner who decided to stay in Houston and had to attend a year of community college to get his grades right before becoming a Cougar. He is a bit older, too, as he will turn 24 during the season.

But, beyond that, there is very little to complain about as the prospect improved his play even more as the season went along and peaked late with an unbelievable performance against Florida State in Houston's big bowl game win. Jackson is a big corner with blazing speed (4.37 40) and that combination of size and wheels will no doubt put him high in the draft to begin with. Now, add to that a skill set where he can go get the football, too, and I am here to proclaim him as a player I don't think will last very long on draft weekend.

Using the Florida State, Tulane, and Temple games in particular, let's examine this very impressive kid from Houston.

What I liked: He is a corner you can put out there against anyone on the edge and he looks comfortable. He absolutely can get in your face and run with you in press coverage, but I actually like him quite a bit in zones as well where he reads the QB and then breaks on the ball. He rarely misses tackles and usually comes up with purpose and executes secure stops. He can also run with anyone and is able to make up ground on longer routes, but without question his finest attribute is finding the ball and knowing what to do with it. He breaks up passes and also secures interceptions because he finds the ball much better than the other corners in this study as he can press and still feel the ball coming in with instincts. It is quite clinical how he is able to do that. He also hits hard. And makes you think about the next collision. So, you have a player that is comfortable with things in front of him and things behind him, both in press-man coverage and zones. Additionally, he is willing to get involved in run support as well. His reactions are solid and overall, he just looks like an ideal prospect for the next level.

What I did not like: There isn't much in this category, but it should be noted that there is some level of chicken-or-egg discussion when looking at cornerbacks. Many of the players on our list do not have many interceptions or passes broken up because they chase away all action from opposing QBs. They are not getting any action through intimidation or technique and therefore cannot amass impressive numbers. Jackson is not that. QBs felt comfortable throwing at him, so he is able to fight off many attacks, but we must ask why his side of the field seemed inviting. Beyond that, I question his tackling technique at times because he lowers his head dangerously and often looks like he gets the worst of that. Also, he can be juked in the open field as his short area quickness is not elite and he occasionally is watching the QB and falling for the double moves. But, most all of this list is nitpicking or fixable with a little work. I see a complete corner who is pretty much where you need him on day 1.

Summary and Potential Fit For the Cowboys: Having looked at all of the cornerbacks who are talked about for the 1st round, I am willing to say that William Jackson is no worse than the 2nd best for me. He really was better than I expected to see when I first started this, and I really think he is capable of helping anyone in any scheme. I love his aggressiveness and his ability to be a ball hawk, as well as his ability to securely get his man down. He is an older prospect but that in no way takes away his value.

If the Cowboys could somehow get their hands on a top corner, this is the guy I would love them to get. He would fit in that Cover 3 wonderfully, but I just don't see much of a scenario where he makes it to pick #20, let alone into Round 2. I know the media consensus is that Jackson is only the 4th or 5th corner in this class, but like I said, aside from Vernon Hargeaves from Florida, I am thinking this will be my next best corner. On corner skills alone, I am thinking Jackson is a better player at that position than Jalen Ramsey - Ramsey is the better football player, but I believe he has a much higher ceiling at safety. We shall see.

You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com

dallen

Senior Tech
He seems to have risen as much as anyone since the end of the season. I wouldn't totally hate it if he was our 2nd pick

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Walter Camp's recent mock has us taking Eli Apple in the 2nd. Not sure if he'll drop to 34 but I wouldn't be opposed to it. I think our 2nd round pick will be a CB or WR....unless we move for Lynch. I just hope we aren't dumb enough to take Cook/Hackenberg at 34.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am actually starting to like this draft more and more after the 1st 15 guys I think the talent level is deep throughout the top of the 3rd.

That's why I would hate to trade up for Wentz.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I used to suggest Jackson as an option at 34 but that flew out the window once he ran a sub-4.4.

I also liked the note about Jackson being a better pure CB than Ramsey, which I would agree with. If we do draft Ramsey it had damn well better be as a safety next to Jones, while I would go elsewhere at 4 I can acknowledge that a Ramsey/Jones safety duo could be the best/most versatile pairing in the league.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm's Draft Profile Series: Michigan State's Connor Cook Is One Of the Most Debated Studies of the Draft[/h]

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, Click Here.

Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State - 6'4, 220 - RS Senior - #18

We tell our athletes that what people say about you doesn't matter. If you perform at a certain level, the critics or the "haters" won't be able to touch you, because your tape will speak for itself. But, Michigan State QB Connor Cook's case may demonstrate how that isn't necessarily true.

He was the starting QB of a Michigan State team since late 2012 where he won 34 of his 40 starts, won 5 of 7 starts against Top 10 opponents, and during that stretch threw 71 touchdowns against 22 interceptions at a 7.9 yards per attempt clip in a major conference against generally major competition. He did so at a pro-style university that has produced a number of NFL Quarterbacks - including two who started in the NFL playoffs this January. He has ideal size and strength, impressive experience, and thorough knowledge of an offense and what a QB is supposed to do.

And yet, when asked about Connor Cook leading into this 2015 draft, the once highly touted prospect has had his entire body of work reduced to three often-repeated copy points. 1) He was not a captain at Michigan State and 2) He looked very unaware and aloof when seeming to "big-time" Archie Griffin at the Big 10 Championship Game trophy presentation and 3) he turned down the Senior Bowl when many thought he should be there. Those three things together have a lot of people questioning his fiber and whether he has what it takes to lead an offense at the next level. Now, both of these items are being used against him and seem to be canceling out three years of tremendous on-field work. Are these legitimate deal breakers or do we have too much time on our hands in draft season?

I used the Oregon, Penn State, and Iowa games from this season and the Baylor Cotton Bowl from 2014 for this study.

What I liked: Connor Cook looks like a QB who has plenty to get excited about. He is big, has a very nice and quick release, throws darts on many NFL throws, and shows some nice toughness. His arm is not a cannon, but I would list it as capable, for sure. He finds the holes in the secondary quite well, fitting balls between the corner and the safety, and throwing the NFL routes like the deep-out and the skinny-post quite well. His footwork is generally decent and he can handle anything pro coaches want like strong play-action work, looking the safeties off, and working out both shot-gun and under-center drops. He is very experienced and has massive trust in his own ability to make throws. This attribute can certainly also be listed as a weakness, because some of his trust might fall under the irrational heading at times. He throws some unreal beauties over the course of a season and certainly has a highlight film that can compete with any QB in this draft.

What I did not like: He really struggles with putting the short and easier passes on the money. Like Christian Hackenberg, this is largely the result of some poor footwork where you don't reset your feet and get your mechanics right on simple out passes and try to do it all with your arm. He also will miss with accuracy down the field, but it would seem that is not near the issue as missing an open RB out of the backfield with 10 easy yards in front of him. I would like to think this can be coached out of him. Additionally, he makes a fair number of "rush of blood to the head" throws that generally turn out poorly. Now, again, in 40 starts, we are only talking 22 interceptions, but he will throw a hopeful ball into coverage or toss a backhanded pass into traffic to avoid a sack that often turns out poorly. His stats say he doesn't make bad decisions much, but his tape says it is too much. A bit of a conflict, for sure. And, I must at least acknowledge that he is said to be aloof and a potential celebrity QB who doesn't always have the whole room pulling for him and may not be in love with football. While I have a hard time confirming it or denying it, I feel that to fully ignore it is no better than fully buying into all of it.

Summary and Potential Fit For the Cowboys: I will confess that Cook is one of those many prospects that the more you study, the more you just don't know what to think. He is very talented and seems very prepared for the NFL with that Michigan State program that certainly gets guys ready. If he weren't a good leader, would he have been QB1 for the Spartans for over three seasons? The fact that he did a job for a team that averaged 12 wins a year while he was there indicates that there was not that big issue with leadership.

Mechanically, he certainly has some things to sort through, but when the Cowboys are searching for a talented youngster to invest in, I can surely see how Cook is someone they want to investigate deeply. He will be in Dallas this week to answer all of the team's questions and workout to show he is what they are looking for. You can definitely see why some people think he belongs in the 1st round, but you will also realize that the public has been convinced he has no business anywhere in the first few days.

Cook will try to prove that the first crowd is correct. But he has some convincing to do, first.

You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com

Top Bottom