McGinn's Draft Series - 2015

GShock

DCC 4Life
Always my favorite pre-draft series

WRs and TEs.

WIDE RECEIVERS

1. AMARI COOPER, Alabama (6-1, 210, 4.35, 1): Third-year junior. "Reggie Wayne has always been under the radar as being a great receiver," one scout said. "That's Cooper. Makes plays. Get open. Difficult to bring down. Not because he's strong, but because he has a knack and can make a subtle move." Three-year starter with 228 catches for 3,463 yards (15.2-yard average) and 31 touchdowns. "I think he's better than Torry Holt, Roddy White," another scout said. "Very smooth and very polished." Not as flamboyant as Sammy Watkins from a year ago but more consistent. "He plays tough," a third scout said. "He's just not I guess the modern prototype now because of the size." Played at Miami Northwestern High with Teddy Bridgewater. Scored 21 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. Finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting after breaking the Southeastern Conference record for single-season receptions with 124 in 2014.

2. KEVIN WHITE, West Virginia (6-2½, 214, 4.30, 1): "There's not one thing wrong with Kevin White," said one scout. After two junior-college seasons, he had a tame 35-reception campaign in 2013 before exploding in '14 with 109 for 1,447 (13.3) and 10 TDs. "Last year they couldn't cover Mike Evans," another scout said. "This guy falls into that category. Fun player to watch. I'd love to know how many penalties he drew." Loves talking trash, physical and strong (tied for the WR lead in the bench press with 23 reps). Compared by various scouts to Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Julio Jones. Stunned scouts with a blazing 40 at the combine. "He wasn't really on the map at the beginning of the year," a third scout said. "He's skyrocketed. He's not in the league of a Calvin Johnson or a Larry Fitzgerald. Not as nifty as Amari Cooper. But he's going to be a good starter." From Plainfield, N.J.

3. DeVANTE PARKER, Louisville (6-2½, 211, 4.42, 1): Recruited by Kentucky to play basketball out of Louisville Ballard High. "He probably could have played there," said one scout. "Smooth, athletic, adjusts on the deep ball well. But he got nicked up." Suffered a broken foot in late August and missed seven games. "He's been hurt a lot and hasn't had as much production as these other guys," another scout said. "He's big and really good after the catch. He's a very quiet type of kid so I think people have some concern for his mental, which is a big thing for wideouts." Wonderlic of 15. Finished with 156 catches for 2,775 (17.8) and 33 TDs. "A little soft," said a third scout. Added a fourth: "Thing that worries me, first play of the Florida State game he catches an up and he turned to look to see where the DBs are and gets caught. Well, the fast guys don't look. They just catch the ball and run."

4. NELSON AGHOLOR, Southern California (6-0, 196, 4.40, 1-2): Third-year junior. "He's kind of like Jeremy Maclin," one scout said. "He can play both (outside and slot). His best things are versatility and route running. You wish he was bigger, but besides that he's pretty solid." Nigerian; moved to the U.S at 5. "Very similar to Marquise Lee," a second scout said. "Slender build. Good speed, not special speed." Started for two years, finished with 178 catches for 2,572 (14.4) and 20 TDs. "(Randall) Cobb might be a little bit stronger, but it's the same quickness," a third scout said. "He makes people miss. Just skinny." Said a fourth scout: "He's OK. Gets pushed around."

5. BRESHAD PERRIMAN, Central Florida (6-2, 212, 4.27, 1-2): His father, Brett, caught 525 passes in a 10-year career spent mostly with Detroit. He was 5-9, 180. "Totally different from his dad," one scout said. "His dad was really quick. This guy is bigger. You don't see the speed he ran. This guy doesn't run routes. He has a rough time against press because he's not quick and he's tight. I see a straight-line speed guy." Third-year junior with 115 catches for 2,243 (19.5) and 16 TDs. "He plays fast, he plays big and I like him," a third scout said. "It's a little surprising given the dad that he's not a better route runner." Two-year starter from Lithonia, Ga. "Hands were very iffy this year," said a fourth scout. "He has a big up side but obviously a lower floor because he has inconsistencies catching. He really just hasn't put it all together yet."

6. JAELEN STRONG, Arizona State (6-2½, 218, 4.43, 1-2): Fourth-year junior spent two years in junior college before arriving in Tempe. "Reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald except he's faster," said one scout. "People can't cover him on the back shoulders and fades because he has amazing talent to leap like Fitzgerald had. He's excellent ball tracking, hands, jumping, in traffic. Became a star playing with a very average quarterback. I thought he'd run 4.55. It shocked me." Scored the highest on the Wonderlic (22) of the top 12 WRs. "A big, physical, jump-ball type receiver," another scout said. "He can outsize defensive backs and is good with the ball in his hand. Limited as a route runner." Played late in the season with a wrist injury that has led one team to reject him medically. Finished with 157 catches for 2,287 (14.6) and 17 TDs. "If you watch him play, he looks more like a possession guy," a third scout said. "I don't see the great fanfare in his play. He's adequate. I don't think he's sensational." From Philadelphia.

7. DORIAL GREEN-BECKHAM, Oklahoma (6-5, 236, 4.46, 1-2): Third-year junior kicked out of Missouri after two seasons before spending a practice-only year under Sooners coach Bob Stoops. "He's not the freak athlete like Calvin Johnson," one scout said. "He's longer than Demaryius Thomas. Huge threat in the red zone. Oklahoma had to hold him out of some drills because he was just dominating practices. He was (abusing) their starters, It wasn't even close." Caught 28 passes as a pure freshman in 2012, then ran No. 2 behind NFL free agent L'Damian Washington in '13. Finished with 87 receptions for 1,278 (14.7) and 17 TDs. "He's so big and so fast," another scout said. "There's just a lot of unknowns with him. He's a train wreck." Small hands (9). Poorest vertical jump (33½) of top 25 WRs. Multiple character issues vex teams. "He's as talented as anybody in the group but I wouldn't draft him," a third scout said. "The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. He could become Josh Gordon. He's going to be a hit immediately for whoever drafts him and then he's going to be a problem." Wonderlic of 20.

8. DEVIN FUNCHESS, Michigan (6-4, 232, 4.54, 1-2):Compared by scouts to Marques Colston and Jared Cook. Third-year junior spent first two seasons at TE before shifting to WR last year. "He certainly can do the tight end stuff but he doesn't want to block," one scout said. "Antonio Gates is like his (relative) and they had a big discussion about where you get paid more. He doesn't play as big as he should all the time and he's not great about catching balls in the middle." Finished with 126 receptions for 1,715 (13.6) and 15 TDs working with erratic QB Devin Gardner. "(Gardner) was awful," said another scout. "After you got rung up over the middle every damn game everybody would be a little timid. I don't think there's anything wrong with Funchess." Played three games near midseason with a broken thumb. "Michigan hasn't had any success with receivers," a third scout said. "He's got inconsistent hands but he can make catches. I wouldn't take him first (round) but I'd take him early two." Out of Farmington Hills, Mich.

9. PHILLIP DORSETT, Miami (5-9½, 184, 4.28, 1-2):Three-year starter. "He can play outside because he'll be the fastest guy in the NFL," one scout said. "There's nobody that fast. Better version of John Brown, who was a hell of a rookie for the Cardinals." He's just a bullet." Tremendous deep speed. "He may be a gadget guy but, boy, he gets on the DB's toes quickly," another scout said. "I mean, he is explosive." Finished with 108 catches for 1,860 (17.2) and 15 TDs. "Can play inside or outside," a third scout said. "He might not be a team's No. 1 ever but he's going to scare people because he can go." From Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

10. DEVIN SMITH, Ohio State (6-0½, 199, 4.39, 2): Three-year starter. "A really good stretch-the-field vertical type," one scout said. "Probably not as fast as Mike Wallace. Hands are average, route-running average." Averaged an astounding 28.2 on 33 catches (12 TDs) for national champions in 2014 but didn't play a whole lot. "You can throw him in there and he'll run by people," another scout said. "But he's not going to be an every-down No. 1 or No. 2 type receiver. He'll be a great gunner but a back-end (of the roster) receiver." Finished with 121 catches for 2,503 (20.7) and 30 TDs. "He needs some work, but if nothing else he'll come in and take the top off the coverage and be great on (special) teams," a third scout said. "He'll open up the field for you." Hails from Massillon, Ohio.

11. TYLER LOCKETT, Kansas State (5-10, 181, 4.35, 2): Compared by one scout to Dexter McCluster. "Love him," one scout said. "Extremely quick. Great bloodlines. He's not small by any means. Blazing speed, quick, good route runner. Strong hands. Abysmal quarterback play. The fact he got the production he did when opponents knew he was their primary threat was impressive to me." Both his father, Kevin, and uncle, Aaron, were top WRs at K-State. Started for 3½ years, finishing with 249 catches for 3,710 (14.9) and 29 TDs. "If he was 6-feet he might be the best receiver," another scout said. "It was a nothing team but this guy just made play after play after play." From Tulsa, Okla.

12. SAMMIE COATES, Auburn (6-1½, 212, 4.40, 2-3): Fourth-year junior with degree in public administration. "He is a great kid," one scout said. "He has worked so hard. He is such a positive personality that I think he might overcome the inconsistent catching. It'll kill him to drop a ball. He'll work at it." Strong (23 reps on the bench), athletic (41-inch vertical jump) and very fast. Wonderlic of 14. "He's stiff, like the guy the Raiders drafted from Maryland (Darrius Heyward-Bey)," said another scout. "Couldn't get out of breaks. Coates falls in that category." Burned Alabama for 206 yards in five receptions. Finished with 82 catches for 1,757 (21.4) and 13 TDs. His problematic knees concern some teams. "A JC kid (D'Haquille Williams) came in this year and was their top receiver over him," a third scout said. "But he runs by people in the best conference." From Leroy, Ala.

13. RASHAD GREENE, Florida State (5-11½, 180, 4.49, 2-3): Led leading receivers with 24 on the Wonderlic. "Smart, smooth, exceptional route runner, very good hands," one scout said. "He's like Robert Brooks." Rewrote the Seminoles' record book, finishing with 270 catches for 3,830 (14.2) and 29 TDs. "One of our scouts said he'll get picked behind a bunch of receivers but he might wind up having a better career or numbers than a lot who are picked ahead of him because he's so steady," said another scout. From Albany, Ga. "There's nothing special about the kid," said a third scout. "He's a pretty good football player but he's 180 and you don't see any real speed or quickness."

14. JUSTIN HARDY, East Carolina (5-10, 192, 4.56, 3):Former walk-on brings a try-harder approach. "I'll tell you what," one scout said. "If you want a possession guy that can play in the slot, he's got the best hands of anybody in the draft. He's like that kid from LSU last year (Jarvis Landry). Not as big, though." Set the FBS record with 370 receptions, good for 4,451 (11.7) and 35 TDs. "Plays a lot bigger than he is," another scout said. "Strong, physical, has really big hands (10). Knows how to use every element of ability that he has. He had a giant bull's-eye on his back every time he played and he still made plays." From Vanceboro, N.C.

OTHERS: Stefon Diggs, Maryland; Chris Conley, Georgia; Ty Montgomery, Stanford; Antwan Goodley, Baylor; Jamison Crowder, Duke; Tre McBride, William & Mary; Dres Anderson, Utah; Vince Mayle, Washington State; Darren Waller, Georgia Tech; DeAndre Smelter, Georgia Tech; Mario Alford, West Virginia.

TIGHT ENDS

1. MAXX WILLIAMS, Minnesota (6-4, 249, 4.84, 1-2): Third-year sophomore saw opportunity amid a woeful collection of tight ends and forfeited his final two seasons. "The confidence and the cockiness comes out because his dad's been through the process as a first-round draft choice," one scout said. "I'm sure they looked at it and said, 'Look, Maxx, this is the year to come out. You're the best one. Take a chance.'" Two-year stats were 61 catches for 986 (16.2) and 13 TDs. "He's easily the No. 1 guy," a second scout said. "He doesn't look sleek but I guarantee he can catch it, and he'll give you enough as a blocker, which sometimes you don't get from those sleek guys." Father, Brian, was the Giants' starting center for a decade. "He's one of those guys that jumps over people and stiff-arms," another scout said. "Real good hands. This guy will block, too." Wonderlic of 29. Hails from Waconia, Minn. "He's not a first-rounder," a third scout said. "He doesn't block. He's got really nice hands. He's got average speed. He's 4.8."

2. CLIVE WALFORD, Miami (6-4, 250, 4.75, 2-3): Played just one year of high-school football in Belle Glade, Fla. "He can block," one scout said. "He can get open. He can beat a DB one-on-one." Labeled as "probably the most complete tight end in the draft" by another scout. Improved each year, finishing with 87 catches for 1,299 (14.9) and 12 TDs. "He's a bigger guy who can actually run and catch and block," a third scout said. "The big game for him to watch is Florida State. Big hands (10¼), long arms (34), degree of toughness."

3. TYLER KROFT, Rutgers (6-5½, 247, 4.74, 3-4):Fourth-year junior. "He's a frat boy when you meet him," said one scout. "He's a very well-spoken, polished, a tad naïve. Very smart (Wonderlic of 32). He catches the ball. Really soft hands. And he's a get-in-the-way blocker." Two-year starter with 70 receptions for 901 (12.9) and five TDs. "Just a guy," said another scout. "He ain't got nothing," said another scout. "There are no tight ends. There's just bodies." From Downington, Pa. "He's light...in the (expletive) but he'll fight you on the line of scrimmage," a third scout said. "He's not a field stretcher. Been a little immature."

4. JEFF HEUERMAN, Ohio State (6-5, 253, 4.81, 3-4): Two scouts said Heuerman was only marginally better than ex-Packer Jake Stoneburner, his TE predecessor in Columbus. Played most of 2014 on a bad foot. "You didn't get to see all he was," one scout said. "He's got some strength in his upper body and he ended up being pretty productive as a blocker. Not a great athlete running routes. But you watch him work out and he can catch and adjust on the ball." Finished with 52 catches for 792 (15.2) and seven TDs. "Maybe by a little bit he's better than Stoneburner," one scout said. "He blocks a little bit. He's got some receiving ability. He does it all OK." Played high-level junior hockey growing up in Naples, Fla.

5. RANDALL TELFER, Southern California (6-3½, 250, 4.75, 4-5): Started for 3½ years as an old-fashioned style TE. "He's the best blocker of any of them," one scout said. "I like him because it's hard to find tough, blocking guys." Still nursing a Lisfranc foot injury and scouts won't see him run a 40 before the draft. Finished with 65 catches for 648 (10.0) and 12 TDs. "Good player," another scout said. "He catches the ball. Adequate athlete." Out of Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

6. BLAKE BELL, Oklahoma (6-6, 252, 4.79, 5): Started eight of the 31 games that he played at QB from 2011-'13, rushing for 24 TDs as the "Belldozer" and compiling an NFL passer rating of 86.5. Reluctantly accepted move to TE in '14 and started eight of 12 games, catching 16 passes for 214 (13.4) and four TDs. "By the time the season was over you could see he was a guy with up side blocking," said one scout. "His deficiencies (early) weren't from want-to. It was positioning and leverage and hand placement." Father, Mark, played six NFL seasons as a DE. His uncle, Mike, was a standout DE from 1979-'91. "He's got an up side," another scout said. "Really a big guy, and I think he'll grow into the position." From Wichita, Kan.

OTHERS: Busta Anderson, South Carolina; Nick O'Leary, Florida State; Jesse James, Penn State; A.J. Derby, Arkansas; Nick Boyle, Delaware; James O'Shaughnessy, Illinois State; Ben Koyack, Notre Dame; Wes Saxton, South Alabama; Gerald Christian, Louisville; Geoff Swaim, Texas.

GShock

DCC 4Life
QBs

1. MARCUS MARIOTA, Oregon (6-3 ½, 222, 4.45, 1): Captured 2014 Heisman Trophy with the second-largest margin of victory ever. "He has a strong arm," one scout said. "He throws on the move as well as anybody I've seen. Mechanics are good. He threw three interceptions this year. Only negative is he carries the ball loose and he has fumbled. He's got the athletic ability to be an all-time great." Posted a 36-5 record and 121.3 passer rating (128.4 in '14) on the NFL scale. "He's like a better Colin Kaepernick," another scout said. "This guy is smarter and farther along." Fourth-year junior was lightly recruited out of Honolulu. Tied Brett Hundley for best vertical jump (36 inches) among QBs and had the best 20-yard shuttle (6.87). His 40 time wasn't as good as Michael Vick's 4.33 in 2001 or Robert Griffin III's 4.36 in 2012, but it was easily the fastest at the position this year. "I would much rather have this guy than Winston," a third scout said. "At least you're going to get the best he has all the time." Also rushed for 2,237 yards (6.6-yard average) and 29 touchdowns. "Ben (Roethlisberger) took everything in shotgun at Miami (Ohio), too," a fourth scout said. "He doesn't have Ben's arm. I do like a lot of things he brings to the table. But that running thing in the NFL? The guy (Griffin III) who plays for the Redskins found out that doesn't work." Scored 33 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

2. JAMEIS WINSTON, Florida State (6-4, 231, 4.96, 1):Third-year sophomore won the Heisman Trophy in 2013 for the national champion Seminoles. "He's an unbelievable competitor," said one scout. "The football stuff, he embraces that. He's not a great athlete, but he has great instincts, awareness and a knack in the pocket. He's not going to dominate you just off pure physical ability. He will beat you with his mind, his patience. He sees things at a rate that a lot of good quarterbacks in the league take four, five years to see." Engineered numerous fourth-quarter come-from-behind victories in posting a 26-1 record and passer rating of 107.9. Better in 2013 (125.8) than in '14 (93.2), when his interception count swelled from 10 to 18. "I've seen too many interceptions," another scout said. "He's your drop-back guy, but he's got that long release. It kind of reminds me of the guy who used to play for Marshall (Byron Leftwich)." Played right field for FSU in 2013 and served as the closer in '14, using a mid-90s fastball to post a 1.94 earned run average in 60 career innings. "Jameis has gotten too big," said a third scout. "In high school (Bessemer, Ala.) he was a quick-twitch athlete. Now he's kind of sluggish." Posted dismal workout numbers at the combine. "I had no idea he'd run that poorly," a fourth scout said. "Quarterbacks without leg explosiveness have a terrible history. I don't like his off-field and I don't like the way he conducts himself on the field sometimes." Wonderlic of 27.

3. BRYCE PETTY, Baylor (6-3, 229, 4.83, 2): Battling to surpass Robert Griffin as coach Art Briles' best NFL QB. "He plays in a kid's offense, like a Thanksgiving Day game offense," one scout said. "He's going to have to be retooled. He's got size, feet, quickness of release, a strong arm. How long will it take to reshape him?" Never called a play for the Bears in Briles' high-octane, simplistic, shotgun attack. "I remember Art saying he's a better passer than Griffin and a similar athlete but not as fast," a second scout said. "If you're an athlete, don't you think you can get under center? Problem is, everybody wants instant success today." Two-year starter from Midlothian, Texas. Played with a bad back most of 2014. Passer rating was 114.3. "He's Christian Ponder-like with a better arm," a third scout said. "Somebody's trying to create something there. I'm not going to rule out that he won't start some games. But then people will realize he has some deficiencies." Wonderlic of 31. Said a fourth scout: "He's accurate deep — at times. In a quarterback-friendly system he's not very accurate (62.7%)."

4. BRETT HUNDLEY, UCLA (6-3, 227, 4.63, 2): Fourth-year junior with 40 starts. "He has the physical tools," one scout said. "Got a strong arm. Yes, he'll be a starter at some point. It's not a refined talent. Probably not unlike a Blake Bortles. He can be developed." Biggest knock is accuracy. "He's a running back playing quarterback, OK?" another scout said. Surpassed 100 passer rating all three seasons for resurgent Bruins, finishing at 103.7. Added 1,747 rushing yards and 30 TDs. According to one scout, his pro-day workout was the best of the leading QBs. "I wonder about how coachable this guy is," another scout said. "There's a lot of ability there." Wonderlic of 26. From Chandler, Ariz.

5. GARRETT GRAYSON, Colorado State (6-2 ½, 214, 4.75, 3-4): Started 35 games during an injury-riddled four-year career. "Good processor of the game," one scout said. "Got a pretty quick mind. Average physical characteristics. At best he becomes a guy like Jon Kitna or (Ryan) Fitzpatrick. That's not a negative. I see him better than Matt Flynn." Broke his collarbone three times. Passer rating of 97.1. "Pocket guy," another scout said. "Little better athlete than you think. He can at least escape the rush and get the ball off under duress." Wonderlic of 20. From Vancouver, Wash. "He's average, at best," said a third scout. "Career backup probably."

6. SEAN MANNION, Oregon State (6-5 ½, 226, 5.10, 4-5): Started 43 of 47 games, rewriting the Beavers' record book in a prostyle offense. His 13,600 passing yards rank eighth in Division I annals. "He spins a really good deep ball," one scout said. "He's very accurate and incredibly smart (Wonderlic of 40). People will knock him because of his 40 time, but he's got good enough feet to move around and slide in the pocket. I just like his presence." Coach's son from Pleasanton, Calif. Beavers were just 5-7 in 2014. Passer rating is 89.5. "Long, slow delivery," another scout said. "He reminds me of Derek Anderson, who came out of Oregon State 10 years ago. He's everybody's backup. This kid is so smart, he's playing to every bit of his ability."

7. CODY FAJARDO, Nevada (6-1 ½, 223, 4.58, 6-7): Four-year starter with passer rating of 91.3. Rushed for a whopping 3,482 yards (5.5) and 44 TDs in a pistol offense. "He took over for Kaepernick," one scout said. "He's a better pure passer than Kaepernick but not as big or strong. Really a nice athlete. But he's short and hot and cold." Wonderlic of 31. "Not really an established or consistent passer," another scout said. "Somebody that you could develop because of the athletic traits." From Brea, Calif.

8. CONNOR HALLIDAY, Washington State (6-3, 196, 4.9, 7-FA):Started for 2½ seasons and had an 88.2 passer rating. "He's got a talented arm," one scout said. "Plays in a wide-open system. He's smart enough (Wonderlic of 22). He'll need a little bit of work on his footwork, but he's got enough to take a shot on." Suffered a broken ankle Nov. 1 and still can't work for scouts. "He finds the open guy well at times but then he throws into coverage too often," another scout said. "Nobody there was sorry to see him go. I can't find anybody there that liked this guy." Out of Spokane, Wash.

9. SHANE CARDEN, East Carolina (6-2, 218, 4.92, 7-FA): Three-year starter with a passer rating of 99.5. Same size as Brett Favre and bears facial resemblance. "He reminds me of Favre," one scout said. "He's got some swagger. Really good leadership ability. His physical skill is OK. Some quarterback coach is going to love him because of what's in his heart and between his ears (Wonderlic of 25)." From Houston. "I like his mind," said another scout. "Physically, I don't think he's going to have the arm."

10. ANTHONY BOONE, Duke (6-0, 218, 4.95, 7-FA): Made one start behind Sean Renfree in 2012 before becoming a two-year starter. "He's won a lot of games," one scout said. "He's short. Just an average passer. He's a camp quarterback that doesn't really have enough up side." Posted a passer rating of 79.9. Wonderlic of 20. From Weddington, N.C.

OTHERS: Brandon Bridge, South Alabama; Bryan Bennett, Southeastern Louisiana; Taylor Heinicke, Old Dominion; Jerry Lovelocke, Prairie View A&M; Blake Sims, Alabama

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bob McGinn’s draft series: Quarterbacks

Jameis Winston seen as having same faults as '07 bust JaMarcus Russell

April 23, 2015

Green Bay — The striking similarities between Jameis Winston and JaMarcus Russell must be frightening to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as they weigh making the Florida State quarterback the first pick of the NFL draft.

"With Jameis Winston I see JaMarcus Russell," a longtime executive in personnel said. "They do dumb things. Isn't it interesting?"

Or horrifying, if you're coach Lovie Smith or general manager Jason Licht in Tampa. They know Russell well as the poster child for all-time busts after the Raiders drafted him No. 1 in 2007.

Jimbo Fisher, the Seminoles' head coach during Winston's three-year career, was quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator throughout Russell's four-year career at Louisiana State.

In 22 years of major-college coaching, Fisher's best pro quarterback probably has been former Packers career backup Matt Flynn.

Besides Russell, Fisher prepared Rohan Davey for New England (fourth round) in 2002, Christian Ponder for Minnesota (first round) in 2011 and E.J. Manuel for Buffalo (second round) in 2013. They're failures, too.

Aside from coaching parallels, Winston (6 foot 4, 231 pounds) and Russell (6-5½, 258) share the same type of big, soft bodies and, according to some scouts, the penchant for turning the ball over.

"Lack of focus by JaMarcus is what I see in Winston," the personnel man said. "They're physically talented, but during the course of a game they kind of lose their focus and just put the ball up for grabs.

"I see the body. I see the lack of focus. I see the same coach and system. Only Winston's not as good an athlete and his arm isn't as strong as JaMarcus'."

Russell was done with football after three seasons, a 7-18 record and a passer rating of 65.2.

"We're looking at another guy (Winston) that's a product of the system and has tremendous athletes around him," another personnel man said. "Oh, my goodness.

"Is this guy really going to be the first pick of the draft? You'd be drafting a quarterback that can't run, has off-field problems, has no power in his legs and makes bad decisions on the field.

"Somebody's going to make a horrible mistake."

Since the start of the common draft in 1967, there has been 18 years in which two or more quarterbacks were selected among the first seven picks. In 14 of those years, or 78% of the time, at least one was a bust, and twice two flopped.

All 37 of those quarterbacks entered the league with such high hopes. Sixteen (43.2%) went down as failures.

Winston, of course, isn't the only big-name quarterback. There's always the chance Marcus Mariota of Oregon might go to Tampa Bay. Either way, both should go off among the top seven choices.

The results of a Journal Sentinel survey of 19 NFL executives in personnel this month revealed Winston as much more bust-prone than Mariota.

Scouts were asked to predict what's ahead for the two players. Here were the five categories used to forecast what their careers might hold, and the subsequent responses for each.

All-time great: Mariota one vote, Winston none.

At least one Pro Bowl: Mariota eight, Winston six.

Average starter: Mariota eight, Winston five.

Disappointment: Mariota one, Winston four.

Bust: Mariota one, Winston four.

Of the aforementioned 37 quarterbacks, three already are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and another, Peyton Manning, is headed there.

Nine won at least one Super Bowl. Three others at least led teams to the Super Bowl.

Mariota receives high marks for athleticism, big-play capability, poise and work ethic. Some scouts regard him as something of a project out of the Ducks' spread attack, but at least a few see potential for greatness.

"If somebody works with him for what he does, he'll be an all-time great," one personnel man said. "He can play in a pro-style (offense), but I don't know why you would want him to do that. What he does is proven to be great in this league."

Many other scouts pan the entire group, being even harder on the paucity of even late-round suspects than Winston and Mariota.

The 19 personnel men agreed to list their top five quarterbacks in order (a first-place was worth five points, a second four and so on).

Mariota nipped Winston in points, 85-84, but Winston had the edge in first-place votes, 10-9.

Following, in order, were Bryce Petty (45 points), Brett Hundley (39), Garrett Grayson (19 ½) and Sean Mannion (12 ½).

The fact 19 voters confined their selections to just six players was different, to say the least. It appeared none of the others even are worthy of being drafted.

"After the first two, you're just rolling the dice and hoping you get a backup or something," one scout said. "None of them are any good."

Complicating the study of Winston was his consistent pattern of misbehavior at Florida State that would be considered intolerable for an NFL team set to pay him millions as the new face of the franchise.

In 2012, Winston was accused of raping a student. Declaring himself innocent, he didn't face criminal charges.

He also was cited for shoplifting $32 worth of crab legs from a supermarket in Tallahassee, Fla., was involved in BB gun incidents and was suspended one game for standing on a table in a university dining hall and screaming a lewd phrase.

At pro day March 31 in Tallahassee, Winston introduced the 17 teammates that would be auditioning with him before dozens of scouts.

"People were saying, 'Oh, he's a leader,'" said one personnel director. "But it was more of a, 'Hey-look-at-me-kind-of-thing,' as opposed to something good for his teammates.

"I just don't like his whole makeup, his whole salesman act. He's all about himself."

Another scout brought it back to Russell, saying, "He's got that same smile that JaMarcus had. They light the room up. That's what Jameis seems to be doing."

Unlike most top quarterbacks in recent years, Winston helped himself a month earlier by participating in throwing drills. The same day, he hurt himself with a slow 40-yard dash (4.96 seconds) and both a vertical jump (28 ½ inches) and broad jump (8-7) that ranked second worst among quarterbacks.

On the field, however, Winston lost just one of 27 starts, becoming the youngest winner of the Heisman Trophy in 2013 and producing a string of dramatic comeback victories with what some scouts view as remarkable competitiveness.

"He doesn't have all-time great talent, but he's just clutch," a personnel man said. "He's pro ready. It's clear-cut to me Winston's the best quarterback in this draft, talent-wise."

Now Lovie Smith and Co. must make a decision that, if it's wrong, probably will get them all fired.

•••

UNSUNG HERO

Taylor Heinicke, Old Dominion: Four-year starter, three-year captain and record-setting producer. Helped lead Monarchs into Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) and Conference USA last season. Game manager with a dink-and-dunk arm. Impressive athlete.

SCOUTS' NIGHTMARE

Brandon Bridge, South Alabama: Started at Alcorn State in 2010, lost his job and ended up spending 2013-'14 at South Alabama. Throws lasers but has almost no touch. Wild, athletic prospect needs a ton of refinement. Does any team have that much time?

PACKERS' PICK TO REMEMBER

Joe Francis, Oregon State: Drafted in the fifth round in 1958. Nickname was "Pineapple Joe" because of his Hawaiian ancestry. Served as No. 3 behind Babe Parilli and Bart Starr as a rookie, and stuck as No. 3 behind Starr and Lamar McHan under new coach Vince Lombardi in 1959. Two-year career statistics included 20 completions in 49 attempts for 266 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions.

QUOTE TO NOTE

NFL personnel executive: "You've got to take quarterbacks. Seattle's the best example of keep trying. They traded for guys, they brought in guys. Then they finally hit one (Russell Wilson) in the third round and now they're all kingmakers."

Bob McGinn

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Offensive linemen

April 24, 2015

Bob McGinn’s draft series: Offensive linemen: Iowa's Brandon Scherff leads big crop

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top offensive linemen in the draft next week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

TACKLES

1. ANDRUS PEAT, Stanford (6-7, 315, 5.21, 1): Third-year junior. "He's what I call a beautiful athlete," one scout said. "So smooth. Really impressive physically. I compared him to Tyron Smith. Great pass protector. Just not that powerful at this age." Started 27 games at LT the past two seasons after rotating as a freshman in 2012. "He's got damn good feet but... the last bowl game against Maryland he looked like (expletive)," another scout said. "He's the No. 1 guy but he's never been pushed. He doesn't have any core strength. He doesn't take hard coaching." His father, Todd, was a squatty guard in the NFL for six years. Excellent prep basketball player in Chandler, Ariz. "I saw him get thrown around like a rag doll," a third scout said. "I respect what people think about the guy, but every defensive player I saw against Stanford kicked the (expletive) out of the guy. If you're asking me who was the most overrated guy I saw, it was that guy." Scored 27 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

2. ERECK FLOWERS, Miami (6-6½, 326, 5.34, 1): Third-year junior who prepped in Miami. "Big, rugged, physical right tackle," said one scout. "Starts right away." Made four starts at RT in 2012 and 24 at LT in 2013-'14. "Violent, physical player," another scout said. "Fundamentally, he's got to clean some things up. He ducks his head. He tries to win with all upper body. He's got to learn to play with more patience." Led O-linemen in bench-press reps with 37. "Strictly a right tackle or guard," a third scout said. "He can't play left tackle because he isn't quick. He is powerful and he does have an anchor. He's stiff, so he has problems with adjust and recovery. He carries his hands low. He needs a lot of work with his hands. Big disappointment of the (top) group."

3. D.J. HUMPHRIES, Florida (6-5, 307, 5.08, 1): Third-year junior from Union, N.C. "Probably the best athlete of the O-line group," one scout said. "He's got every tool you look for in a left tackle. He just has to grow into his body. He came in at 255 and he's 300 now. Great kid. Leader of that O-line the last two years. He does play physical. It's just some of the bigger, more stout guys are harder for him to move." Started 19 games at LT before declaring. "Smart, good family, great kid," said another scout. "Needs more bulk but he has the frame to be a 320 guy without any problems." Other teams saw his Wonderlic of 12, lowest among leading tackles, and double-backed on his ability to learn. "He's late off the ball all the time," said a third scout. "You worry about him a little bit mentally."

4. CEDRIC OGBUEHI, Texas A&M (6-5½, 304, 4.95. 1-2): Part of coach Mike Sherman's star-studded signing class of 2010 that included LT Luke Joeckel and LT Jake Matthews. "He's got great feet," one scout said. "He's better than Luke Joeckel coming out. He's soft, but he'll probably go late first (round)." Started at RG in 2012, RT in '13 and LT in '14 before suffering a torn ACL in the Liberty Bowl. "He's going to take a year, but he's athletic as hell," a second scout said. "He didn't look good at left tackle this year but looked great at right tackle the year before and great at guard the year before that. He's not Joeckel or Matthews. He doesn't have the inner fiber those two have." Longest arms (35 7/8 inches) at the position and a Wonderlic of 23. "His ACL was pretty common but he's had back issues his whole career there," a third scout said. "Just during games you'd see him stretching, and in practice he was always doing some maintenance on the back. There's got to be some legitimate concerns about the back." From Allen, Texas.

5. DONOVAN SMITH, Penn State (6-5½, 333, 5.10, 1-2): "I thought he was fat and messy and played lazy," one scout said. "He has had issues like that. He's got talent. It's more where you think he is as far as want-to." Redshirted in 2011 but, after obtaining his degree, opted against returning for his senior season. "He's a giant human being that can kind of do whatever he wants," another scout said. "He's got good feet and bend for a big guy. Definitely can be a left tackle. He also can play with power. He was completely dominant at the Senior Bowl. But he's selfish, is up and down in games and has weight and conditioning issues." Three-year starter at LT. "He's not a feisty, Wisconsin-type guy," said a third scout. "The new staff there does not rave about him. Maybe he doesn't have that killer instinct, but he'll play." From Owings Mills, Md. "I hope he goes in the second round because we wouldn't take him until the mid-rounds," a fourth scout said. "He's got a little bit of a work ethic issue. He's a little bit stiff on the edge. Might be able to move inside and be a little better player."

6. T.J. CLEMMINGS, Pittsburgh (6-4½, 310, 5.14, 1-2): Spent first three seasons as a reserve DE before moving to offense in December 2012 and starting at RT the past two years. "He's really powerful," one scout said. "I've got no negatives at all. He's got excellent strength, power, aggressiveness, tenacity. Good pass-block technician." Long arms (35 1/8). So athletic that he had offers to play basketball at Seton Hall and Providence. Hurt himself with a poor week at the Senior Bowl. Failed one team's physical because of a bad knee. Some scouts wonder about his ability to adjust quickly and master assignments. "Has the fire in him that you like," said another scout. "Needs some technique work. Great kid. His learning is good enough. He'll pick it up and work at it. But it'd be a mistake to think he could play left tackle." From Teaneck, N.J., where he played only two years of football.

7. JAKE FISHER, Oregon (6-6, 307, 5.02, 2): Started at RT for two years before a teammate's injury precipitated his shift to LT in 2014. Several scouts say he lacks strength against bull rushes. "He does need to get thicker but some of that is technique and Oregon is not a big weightlifting program," one said. "He's really a hard guy to (evaluate). You watch the workout and he's really a good athlete, but he doesn't play to it. Kid plays hard. Obviously, he's got athletic ability." Out of Traverse City, Mich. "I compared him to Matt Stinchcomb," another scout said. "He had no base, either, but same type of athlete. He's a pusher, a position blocker. He's got no strength or power in his lower body."

8. COREY ROBINSON, South Carolina (6-6 ½, 321, 5.30, 2-3): Compared by one scout to Chargers LT King Dunlap. "He's a monster," said one scout. "Some people like big. Buffalo goes big. He's not a great foot athlete but I don't know if you have to be when you're a monster." Compared by another scout to Bills RT Seantrel Henderson. "He didn't play hard, and his technique's crappy," a fourth scout said. "You wonder about his intelligence but then he aced the Wonderlic (40). He's just all over the place." Moved from DT to LT, where he started three seasons. "I was there," said a fifth scout. "They're all glad he's leaving... said he's hard to coach, he's lazy. But that (expletive) has talent. Somebody will take him late three (third round)." From Havelock, N.C.

9. TY SAMBRAILO, Colorado State (6-6, 311, 5.36, 3-4): His 42 starts included 34 at LT, five at LG, two at RT and one at RG. "(David) Bakhtiari was soft like Sambrailo, but the one thing Bakhtiari had that I underestimated was a little bit of nastiness and competitiveness," one scout said. "I don't think Sambrailo has that. That's the constant learning process you go through in scouting. As long as you have that inner competitiveness, if you have athleticism to go with it, then you can be a finesse guy." Outstanding competitive skier growing up in Watsonville, Calif. Failed to impress at the Senior Bowl. "I was disappointed in him there," another scout said. "It'll take a year to get any real production from him. He lacks some functional anchor strength."

10. TYRUS THOMPSON, Oklahoma (6-5, 324, 5.37, 4): Finesse starter at LT for 2½ years. "He plays soft," one scout said. "He has all the talent in the world but he scares the hell out of you. He's a big good athlete. Just doesn't finish blocks." His arms measured long at the combine (34 7/8) but his workout was a dud. "He is not as athletic as I thought based on film," another scout said. "Third round at best. Good size. Good kid." Hails from Pasadena, Texas.

OTHERS: Rob Havenstein, Wisconsin; Chaz Green, Florida; Laurence Gibson, Virginia Tech; Andrew Donnal, Iowa; Trent Brown, Florida; Terry Poole, San Diego State; Jamon Brown, Louisville; Takoby Cofield, Duke; Sean Hickey, Syracuse; Austin Shepherd, Alabama.

GUARDS

1. BRANDON SCHERFF, Iowa (6-4½, 319, 5.04, 1): Compared by one scout to perennial Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson. "He's better than anyone that's come out of there (Iowa), and they've had a bunch of good guys," one scout said. "I know everyone wants to make a guard out of him, but I'd have him disprove he can't play tackle. He didn't even play healthy this year. Had his knee scoped (torn cartilage) and the guy missed one practice. You watch the year before. I like (Bryan) Bulaga but I think this guy is better. I didn't think Bulaga could play left tackle but I think this guy can." Started 36 of 43 games (all but three at LT); his 2012 season was cut short by a serious ankle injury. "Alert, aggressive, finishes, athletic," another scout said. "Anchor is just OK. He'll be really good in a zone scheme because he has a really good feel for angles. When you line up with him you know what you're going to get." Multisport prep star from Denison, Iowa. "If you want a tackle he's not your guy," a third scout said. "Then you're going to go with Peat. Scherff's going to have edge limitations like Riley Reiff. He's not an ideal foot athlete at tackle and he doesn't always finish like you want." Wonderlic of 22.

2. LA'EL COLLINS, Louisiana State (6-4½, 312, 5.14, 1): Started at LG as a sophomore before moving to LT in 2013-'14. "He's a lot like Scherff," said one scout. "Not unlike Bulaga. Little short-armed (33¼). Kind of like a Sam Baker kind of tackle with the Falcons but he could be a really good guard." Described by another scout as a "mean" player. "He could be a Pro Bowl guard, but I also think he can play tackle," a third scout said. "He's a really good run blocker. He's athletic. He's nasty." Tied with Humphries for the lowest score (12) on the Wonderlic among the top-25 offensive linemen. "I think he's smart enough to play tackle," a fourth scout said. "He's a motivated guy and I think he'll learn it." From Baton Rouge, La. "He's got good girth, he's strong, he can bend his knees and he's got play instincts," a fifth scout said. "He doesn't have ideal length to be a full-time left tackle. He only took a few reps at right tackle during Senior Bowl week and you could tell he's never played the right side. It was awkward. But when you see him in a workout and roll it all together, he's going to be a longtime starter at left guard or left tackle."

3. LAKEN TOMLINSON, Duke (6-3½, 319, 5.26, 1-2): Four-year starter at RG. "If there's a first-round guard in this draft and he's not a conversion it's Tomlinson," one scout said. "He's a plug-and-play, start-first-day right or left guard. He plays better than (Chance) Warmack. He's big, athletic, he can pull, he can block at the point, he's smart. He might be a great center, too, if you tried him there." Born in Jamaica, moved to the U.S. at 10. "He wants to be a doctor," said another scout. "Some people want to be sure he's committed to football, which I think he is. The kid loves football. Has played a ton of football. High character. Has ambitions outside football." Graduated from Chicago Lane Tech. "He looks better on the hoof than any subject in the draft other than Scherff," a third scout said. "Great kid, smart (Wonderlic of 23). But how many Duke linemen have there been? You can't name them. Plus, he gets over his toes. He's top-heavy."

4. TRE' JACKSON, Florida State (6-3½, 322, 5.50, 2): Made 42 starts at RG. "He's better than Tomlinson," said one scout. "He gets better movement. He is a quiet leader with strength and power, but he lacks the length (32 5/8 arms). He will struggle mentally sorting out the process." Named MVP of the South team at the Senior Bowl. "He was coached well by Rick Trickett, who is one of the best (O-line) coaches around," said a second scout. "He was a very steady player. Not special. He's a really good short setter in pass pro and he uses his hands well," From Jesup, Calif. "If he was at another school he'd be a later-round guy," a third scout said. "He wouldn't be getting near the attention he does. He's slow, and slow-footed. Then he's not real long and he can't handle the wide rush. The Rose Bowl game, he got destroyed."

5. A.J. CANN, South Carolina (6-2½, 311, 5.48, 2-3): Made 51 starts at LG. "He has mass, toughs and he's competitive," one scout said. "He's square and gets movement at the point. He'll need a little work in pass pro. He's a little bit shorter and a little bit slow-footed. He's like Larry Warford or Chance Warmack, one of those guys. But the mental part will scare you a little bit." Led guards in bench-press reps (30) and vertical jump (32½). Worked at center for scouts this spring and snapped adequately. "There's nothing special about him," a second scout said. "Not a great athlete, not an overly physical or powerful guy. Everything about him is solid." From Bamberg, S.C.

6. JEREMIAH POUTASI, Utah (6-5, 338, 5.33, 2-3): Third-year junior made the somewhat surprising decision to leave the Utes a year early. Started at RT in 2012 and at LT the past two seasons. "We have him as a guard," said one scout. "He's a starting guard. He doesn't move well enough to protect the edges (at tackle). If you like big sluggers in there, Baltimore type, he's going to play." Won't turn 21 until August. "He's more athletic than Flowers, but his workout was bad," another scout said. "He has to be a right tackle or guard. He held up OK at left tackle against the good pass rushers of the Pac-10." From Las Vegas.

7. DARYL WILLIAMS, Oklahoma (6-5, 326, 5.38, 3): Three-year starter at RT. "Big guys play," said one scout. "He's got some toughness to him. He's not a good athlete. Strictly a right tackle. He could go third round because big bodies go. His value is fourth, fifth round." Although his 35-inch arms are befitting a tackle, his feet and athleticism aren't. "You like his intangibles," another scout said. "He's tough, he's a good kid, he'll do everything you want. Just not a very good athlete." Out of Lake Dallas, Texas.

8. JARVIS HARRISON, Texas A&M (6-4, 328, 5.21, 3-4): Labeled a "knucklehead" by three scouts. "He played really well in 2013, but this year he just kind of did his own thing and it showed," one scout said. "The trainer will tell the offensive linemen when they come into the locker room to cut the tape off their shoes and put it in a specific pile. Everybody follows that to the letter, but he'll do something completely opposite. Not very highly regarded at the school. He's smart enough to know to stay out of the police blotter type of thing. Just a pain in the (expletive)." Started 37 games over four seasons at LG and LT. "They benched him for like the first four games of (2014)," another scout said. "I could never get a straight answer there. Athletically, he certainly has the ability to go third round. He's lazy." "He short-sets these guys and gets his hands on them, they're dead," a third scout said. "On film, the guy was extremely impressive." From Navasota, Texas.

9. JOHN MILLER, Louisville (6-2½, 307, 5.23, 4): Four-year starter at guard. "You like the way he plays," one scout said. "He's tough, but he's 6-2 and 300. OK athlete. He's got some quickness but he's not a great player. He struggles in protection some. Gets beaten on the edges." Improved from 7 to 14 on the Wonderlic but teams still wonder about his ability to react and adjust. "Learning is a little bit of a process," a second scout said. "Pass pro is good enough. Oh, yeah, he's a good player." From Miami.

10. JAMIL DOUGLAS, Arizona State (6-4, 306, 5.21, 4-5): Viewed as a four-position backup. "Like him as a backup dual flexibility guy," one scout. "Guard-tackle who may be a center." Started at LG in 2012-'13 and at LT in '14. "I think he'll have to go to some type of zone team," another scout said. "Project. He has really nice feet and movement but he does get pushed around." From Cypress, Calif.

OTHERS: Jon Feliciano, Miami; Josue Matias, Florida State; Mark Glowinski, West Virginia; Arie Kouandjio, Alabama; Robert Myers, Tennessee State; Matt Rotheram, Pittsburgh; Bobby Hart, Florida State; Quinton Spain, West Virginia.

CENTERS

1. CAMERON ERVING, Florida State (6-5½, 311, 5.12, 1-2): The Seminoles talked about moving him to center before the season but didn't pull the trigger until five games remained. "That line didn't block well until they moved him," one scout said. "It cleaned up so much inside. He's not a 320-pound mauling center but he gets after you. He's such a good athlete and is extremely smart. Great kid. At center, his upside is huge." Would become the NFL's tallest center. "I think he's too tall for center," a second scout said. "He's got stiff ankles and plays too small. He smothers college players, but if anyone works his edges he's not great laterally. I don't see it." Made 20 tackles and a sack as a backup DT in 2011 before moving to LT and starting 37 games. "It (height) hasn't been a problem," a third scout said. "His arms (34 1/8) are so long, he just locks those guys out. He just gets on the nose (tackle). Guard may be his best position. He could start at three positions." From Moultrie, Calif.

2. HRONISS GRASU, Oregon (6-3, 300, 5.03, 2-3): Four-year starter from Los Angeles. "He's smart (Wonderlic of 28) and tough," said one scout. "He's athletic. He played in that spread attack so he can fit in a zone scheme. He's not as heavy as you want him to be to deal with nose tackles all day but he has the athletic ability to compete in a zone offense." Borderline arm length (32 1/8). "Like him," another scout said. "He's not as strong or as big... but if I'm just going center I'm going to go Grasu." Excellent blocker at the LB level.

3. ALI MARPET, Hobart (N.Y.) (6-4, 304, 5.00, 3): Easily the best NCAA Division III prospect in the draft. "He found out what Division I football was like at the Senior Bowl," one scout said. "Thing I liked about him, he was competitive. But I don't know if he's good enough to play." Three-year starter at LT but often practiced at center in 2013-'14. Played LG and LT at Senior Bowl and might have been the best O-lineman there. "For a guy who had no technique and didn't know what he was doing, he went and more than held his own," said another scout. "I could see him in the third round, but it's all a guess." Scored 33 on the Wonderlic. Compared by one scout to C-G Joe Berger of the Vikings. "My immediate comparison was JC Tretter, and I think he's better than JC," a third scout said. "He blew up the combine. This kid has passed every test. He has a tremendous amount of upside." From Hastings-on-Hudson, N.Y.

4. MITCH MORSE, Missouri (6-5½, 306, 5.16, 3): Of his 40 starts, 18 were at RT, 14 at LT and eight, in 2012, came at center. "Center is a perfect position," one scout said. "He kind of grows on me. He's not a naturally big guy so he's going to get torqued a little bit. He's got a degree of toughness about him that shows in his play." Paced centers on the bench press (36 reps) and the vertical jump (31), and scored 29 on the Wonderlic. Short arms (32¼) almost force him inside. "He's my sleeper," another scout said. "This guy is one tough sucker. You talk about toughness and tenacity. You grade him and he just blocks his guy. Their left tackle last year (Justin Britt) went to Seattle and started, and there's no comparison between the two. His feet are good enough." From Austin, Texas.

5. B.J. FINNEY, Kansas State (6-3½, 315, 5.31, 5-6): Walk-on started school-record 52 games, including 51 at center. "He has some athletic limitations, but I like his wrestling background," one scout said. "Just a tough, gritty player. Centers nowadays really don't have to be special athletically." First O-lineman at K-State to be a team captain three times. From Andale, Kan.

OTHERS: Andy Gallik, Boston College; Reese Dismukes, Auburn; Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech; Chris Jasperse, Marshall; Max Garcia, Florida; Greg Mancz, Toledo; Chad Hamilton, Coastal Carolina.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Running backs

By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel

Updated April 25, 2015

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top running backs in the draft this week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

RUNNING BACKS

1. TODD GURLEY, Georgia (6-0 ½, 225, 4.48, 1): Third-year junior from Tarboro, N.C. "You start comparing him to Bo (Jackson) and Herschel (Walker) and Adrian (Peterson), that's when you know you're dealing with a special player," said one scout. "Physically, this dude can do everything. He's my favorite player in the draft. He's a football all-day guy." Scored 44 TDs, second in Bulldogs' history to Walker's 52. "Gurley's different than Marshawn (Lynch)," a veteran scout said. "More explosive than Eddie George. Fred Taylor wasn't as explosive, either. Probably better than Steven Jackson. I don't think he's better than Bo Jackson." Rushed 510 times for 3,285 yards (6.4-yard average, 36 TDs) and caught 65 passes. Suffered a torn ACL Nov. 15 and underwent surgery 10 days later. "I'd worry about him lasting," a fourth scout said. "He's like Adrian and (Walter) Payton, very violent and aggressive as a runner. I'm not sure he's as dynamic as those guys. He could be." Scored 12 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

2. MELVIN GORDON, Wisconsin (6-0 ½, 215, 4.46, 1): Fourth-year junior from Kenosha Bradford. "He's really good," one scout said. "He's got really good vision and feet and burst and acceleration. He doesn't have the top-end elite speed, and he's going to need work in the pass game." Compared most often to Jamaal Charles (5-11, 199, 4.40), the Chiefs' third-round pick in 2008. "But Jamaal catches the ball out of the backfield really well," another scout said. "That's not a part of his game (Gordon) is developed in. Even a year ago they were replacing him on third downs with James White. He's got solid speed, not special. He's an outside runner that will have to run inside in the NFL, and that's going to be a challenge. I don't think he's a complete back." Finished with 631 carries for 4,915 (7.8, 45 TDs) and 22 receptions. Fumbled 12 times. "He doesn't have any holes," a third scout said. "His speed is fast enough. His pass pro is good enough. Great kid." Wonderlic of 20. "Is he going to be Todd Gurley or Earl Campbell?" a fourth scout said. "No, no way. But there's a lot to go on with that guy. There's a role for that guy. That's what everybody's playing. You're playing roles."

3. AMEER ABDULLAH, Nebraska (5-8 ½, 203, 4.52, 2): Compared by two personnel men to Giovani Bernard. Has the exact size and speed as the Bengals' second-round pick in 2013. "They ended up drafting Jeremy Hill last year because they wanted a guy to run really hard between the tackles," one scout said. "Bernard's really tough in a spread offense on screens, draws and receiver stuff in space. Abdullah will be the same thing. He runs excellent routes, has great ball skills and instincts. He's fumbled the ball too much (24) but some weren't his fault. His game translates well to the zone scheme in the NFL." Led RBs in vertical jump (42 inches), broad jump (10-10) and reps on the bench press (24). "I think he has more of a chance than Gordon," a second scout said. "He's like LeSean McCoy. He can break you down and make you miss. He can beat a linebacker one on one. He needs more work in pass pro." Finished with 813 carries for 4,588 (5.6, 39 TDs) and 73 receptions. Team MVP last two years. "I'm not sold on him," said a third scout. "Little. Not a good blocker." From Homewood, Ala.

4. T.J. YELDON, Alabama (6-1, 220, 4.54, 2): Third-year junior. "If the Cowboys are looking for a replication of DeMarco Murray then they should take him in the second or third round," one scout said. Stood out as a freshman, splitting carries with Eddie Lacy as the Crimson Tide won the national title. "I thought he was a hell of a runner, especially on the perimeter," another scout said. "On screens he's got great stop and start. He'll overmatch some DBs with his strength." Finished with 576 carries for 3,322 (5.8, 37 TDs) and 46 receptions. "He was not their best back (in 2014)," a third scout said. "Derrick Henry, the sophomore, was. He's not as good as Lacy, but he's better than (Mark) Ingram. Yeldon is really strong and has excellent balance, and he has really good hands. But they always catch him." From Daphne, Ala.

5. TEVIN COLEMAN, Indiana (5-11 ½, 207, 4.39, 2): Third-year junior. "He's explosive as heck," one scout said. "More of a straight-line guy. Every time he touches the ball it's a potential touchdown. Not a quick, nifty runner." Followed RBs Anthony Thompson and Vaughn Dunbar as the Hoosiers' third consensus All-American. "Little bit of a crease runner," said another scout. "Not a lot of movement. But you run a zone stretch with him, he'll plant it and get downhill." Finished with 452 carries for 3,219 (7.1, 28 TDs) and 54 receptions. Just back from a turf toe injury that concerns teams. Several personnel men said he is one of several draft-eligible players detected with the sickle cell trait. "He's the only one in a long time that can outrun pursuit angles," another scout said. "That's how fast he is. But he's not a creative back. I don't think he's a good natural runner inside. Doesn't run with a lot of power." From Tinley Park, Ill (Oak Forest High).

6. DUKE JOHNSON, Miami (5-9, 205, 4.51, 2-3): Third-year junior from Miami (Norland High). "Kind of a poor man's Shady (LeSean) McCoy," one scout said. "He's got a little power for his size. Good out of the backfield. Elusive, runs aggressive. He's just small." Finished with 381 carries for 2,599 (6.8, 20 TDs) and 65 receptions. "He's short but productive as hell," a second scout said. "He's stumpy. He's a block. Frank Gore wasn't 5-9. Good feet and balance and hands." Missed 2013 with a broken ankle. "Reliable north-south runner," a third scout said. "Lots of yards after the catch. Good stiff arm. Quick start. But he's short, non-explosive and a non-pass blocker."

7. JAY AJAYI, Boise State (6-0, 223, 4.56, 2-3): Several executives said they either have removed him from consideration or backed way off because of how their medical staff evaluated his knee (ACL surgery, 2011). "I just don't know if he'll hold up physically," one scout said. "He's had a lot of carries." Last season, he became the first player in FBS annals to surpass 1,800 yards rushing and 500 receiving. Finished with 678 carries for 3,796 (5.6, 50 TDs) and 73 receptions. "Big back with very good speed," another scout said. "Very physical." Fourth-year junior from Plano Texas. His Wonderlic score of 24 was second highest of top 25 RBs behind the 35 of South Dakota State's Zach Zenner. "He's fast and can catch," a third scout said. "But when there was contact it was over. His legs went dead. He didn't pass block. I like a little more grit."

8. BUCK ALLEN, Southern California (6-0 ½, 220, 4.52, 2-3): Fourth-year junior from Tallahassee, Fla. "He's a little bit like Dorsey Levens, how he runs," said one scout, referring to Levens' high knee action. "He can catch, he's got size and he's got speed. He could grow into being a starter." Reminded another scout of Marcus Allen, another former Trojan. "Because he runs, he catches and he blocks," he said. "He runs those wheel routes out of the backfield, and he can catch at all levels. Aggressive north-south runner. He didn't get the attention he should have. They played three different backs and he alternated. He ran and worked out well." Finished with 417 carries for 2,306 (5.5, 25 TDs) and 63 receptions. Wonderlic of 12. "He's really a finesse guy for a big guy," a third scout said. "I wish there would be more surge when he hits stuff."

9. JEREMY LANGFORD, Michigan State (5-11 ½, 209, 4.41, 2-3): Redshirted in 2010, played CB in 2011 and was a WR the next spring before moving back to RB for good that August. Exploded in 2013-'14. "I like him over Coleman because he makes NFL runs," one scout said. "He has to pick and show vision and contact balance. When you spread out all over the damn field and they pitch you the ball and you pick a running lane (like Indiana), that's a little different. He's not Le'Veon Bell. He's a step below. I don't think he's your front-liner but he does everything well." Finished with 577 carries for 2,967 (5.1, 40 TDs) and 39 receptions. "The speed surprised me," another scout said. "He wants to bounce (outside) all the time. He's a cutback guy. High pad level (pass blocking) and gets pushed." From Wayne, Mich.

10. DAVID COBB, Minnesota (5-11, 229, 4.75, 3): Carried merely 11 times in 2011-'12 before claiming the starting job in mid-2013 when Rodrick Williams got hurt. "He came to life the last two years," one scout said. "Where the hell was he before that? He's like Shonn Green and the guy who plays for the Lions (Joique Bell). He's a complementary back." Finished with 562 carries for 2,893 (51, 20 TDs) and 34 receptions. "He's Alfred Morris," another scout said. "He's slow, runs 4.7. But he's got size, great feet, vision and he breaks tackles. He makes people miss. He just doesn't have breakaway speed." From Killeen, Texas.

11. DAVID JOHNSON, Northern Iowa (6-0 ½, 223, 4.46, 3): "Like him in the third round," one scout said. "He's got great hands. Big, imposing guy." Will become Panthers' first running back to be drafted in 49 years. "I don't know about him," said another scout. "He's not a good runner. For his size he should be bowling people over, and he doesn't. Here's a guy that can run fast. Absolutely fantastic kid. But he was a wide receiver when he got there, and that's how he plays. He plays running back like a wide receiver. I really wanted to like him because I'm big on character guys and guys that practice hard." Finished with 866 carries for 4,682 yards (5.4, 49 TDs) and a whopping 141 receptions. Had 203 receiving yards Aug. 30 against Iowa. "Wouldn't be a bad all-around back," a second scout said. "He's not quite there instinctively but he's got a chance." From Clinton, Iowa.

12. CAMERON ARTIS-PAYNE, Auburn (5-9 ½, 212, 4.48, 3-4): Draft status affected by age. Will be a 25-year-old rookie after staying home first two years after high school. "He's like Ahmad Bradshaw," one scout said. "He catches the (expletive) out of the ball. Like him." Played two years in junior college, backed up for Tigers in 2013 and replaced departed Tre Mason last season when he led the SEC in rushing. "Man, he is a good player," another scout said. "Good vision, good toughness and his 40 was really good." Finished with 394 carries for 2,218 (5.6, 19 TDs) but only 14 receptions. From Harrisburg, Pa.

OTHERS: Karlos Williams, Florida State; Mike Davis, South Carolina; Matt Jones, Florida; John Crockett, North Dakota State; Malcolm Brown, Texas; Zach Zenner, South Dakota State; Terrence Magee, Louisiana State; Thomas Rawls, Central Michigan; Josh Robinson, Mississippi State; Braylon Heard, Kentucky.

FULLBACKS

1. JALSTON FOWLER, Alabama (5-11, 252, 4.86, 5-6): Five-year player from Mobile, Ala; gained extra year after suffering a torn ACL in Game 2 of 2012. "Inconsistent," one scout said. "He'll handle a guy one play and the next play he won't. It wouldn't shock me if he got into the league and turned into a hammer. Alabama tried to do too much with him as far as catching the ball out of the backfield. I don't think he developed the mentality to be a guy to go and blast people all the time. He can do it. He's a compliant enough kid. He's got all the traits to be that guy." Finished with 112 carries for 738 (6.6, five TDs) and 19 receptions. One scout said he was similar to but not quite as physical as former Packers FB Quinn Johnson.

2. TYLER VARGA, Yale (5-10 ½, 222, 4.68, 5-6): Born in Sweden to highly athletic parents. Grew up in Canada (Kitchener, Ontario), where he excelled in a myriad of sports and learned to speak three languages. "Just a rare type of kid," one scout said. "Physical specimen. Built well enough to be a fullback in the league." Played well in the Senior Bowl (two TDs) and worked out well at pro day. "He's definitely willing as a blocker," another scout said. "Kind of a man among boys in the Ivy League. Didn't get to showcase his receiving skills a ton, but he looked really good catching the ball at the workout. Very smart (Wonderlic of 28)." Finished with 529 carries for 2,985 (5.6, 31 TDs) and 38 receptions.

3. MIKE BURTON, Rutgers (5-11, 247, 4.70, 7): Walk-on. "If you're going to draft a fullback you could definitely draft him," one scout said. "He'll make it and play for a long time. He wasn't an overpowering blocker but he was willing. Got some run skills for a fullback. He's played special teams and is good at it. He can catch the ball." Finished with 22 carries for 116 (5.3) and 47 receptions. From Long Valley, N.J.

OTHERS:Connor Neighbors, Louisiana State; Aaron Ripkowski, Oklahoma; Joey Iosefa, Hawaii; Mark Weisman, Iowa.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This is by far the best draft series every year. Props.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of the comparisons to players that these scouts make really make me wonder how in the hell they got their jobs. No wonder teams go full retard on draft day sometimes.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Some of the comparisons to players that these scouts make really make me wonder how in the hell they got their jobs. No wonder teams go full retard on draft day sometimes.
Which ones do you have a problem with?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which ones do you have a problem with?
2. LA'EL COLLINS, Louisiana State (6-4½, 312, 5.14, 1): Started at LG as a sophomore before moving to LT in 2013-'14. "He's a lot like Scherff," said one scout. "Not unlike Bulaga. Little short-armed (33¼). Kind of like a Sam Baker kind of tackle with the Falcons but he could be a really good guard." Described by another scout as a "mean" player. "He could be a Pro Bowl guard, but I also think he can play tackle," a third scout said. "He's a really good run blocker. He's athletic. He's nasty." Tied with Humphries for the lowest score (12) on the Wonderlic among the top-25 offensive linemen. "I think he's smart enough to play tackle," a fourth scout said. "He's a motivated guy and I think he'll learn it." From Baton Rouge, La. "He's got good girth, he's strong, he can bend his knees and he's got play instincts," a fifth scout said. "He doesn't have ideal length to be a full-time left tackle. He only took a few reps at right tackle during Senior Bowl week and you could tell he's never played the right side. It was awkward. But when you see him in a workout and roll it all together, he's going to be a longtime starter at left guard or left tackle."

Just one example. They aren't really close at all. Just totally different players. Winston being compared to Jamarcus Russel is a joke to me (and I'm not even that high on Winston).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
3. BRYCE PETTY, Baylor (6-3, 229, 4.83, 2): Battling to surpass Robert Griffin as coach Art Briles' best NFL QB. "He plays in a kid's offense, like a Thanksgiving Day game offense," one scout said. "He's going to have to be retooled. He's got size, feet, quickness of release, a strong arm. How long will it take to reshape him?" Never called a play for the Bears in Briles' high-octane, simplistic, shotgun attack. "I remember Art saying he's a better passer than Griffin and a similar athlete but not as fast," a second scout said. "If you're an athlete, don't you think you can get under center? Problem is, everybody wants instant success today." Two-year starter from Midlothian, Texas. Played with a bad back most of 2014. Passer rating was 114.3. "He's Christian Ponder-like with a better arm," a third scout said. "Somebody's trying to create something there. I'm not going to rule out that he won't start some games. But then people will realize he has some deficiencies." Wonderlic of 31. Said a fourth scout: "He's accurate deep — at times. In a quarterback-friendly system he's not very accurate (62.7%)."

So basically they aren't similar at all?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just one example. They aren't really close at all. Just totally different players. Winston being compared to Jamarcus Russel is a joke to me (and I'm not even that high on Winston).
Alright, I get this one.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Defensive Line

DEFENSIVE ENDS

1. ARIK ARMSTEAD, Oregon (6-7, 290, 5.10, 1): Third-year junior from Sacramento, Calif. "If you're going to make him a 5-technique (DE in a 3-4) he's an obstacle," one scout said. "He will lay out to make plays. It's not every down, but when he gets in the league I suspect it will be every down. You've got to harness his talent. It's not ready-made." Started 19 of 39 games, finishing with 87 tackles (10 for loss) and 4 sacks. "Physical and strong," a second scout said. "Plays high. Has some lapses in his play. Power type rusher. Pretty good athlete." Scored 26 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test, second highest among the top 12 DEs. "Put him at (offensive) left tackle," a third scout said. "Great athlete. Overrated. Plays when he wants to play."

2. MARIO EDWARDS, Florida State (6-2 ½, 279, 4.81, 1-2): Third-year junior. "He's a phenomenal athlete," one scout said. "He's similar to Sheldon Richardson coming out from a measurable standpoint. He ran better, he's taller, his arm length was a little better. It would not shock me if somebody took him late first (round) because of the upside." Played as heavy as 312. Some teams view him as a 3-technique (DT in a 4-3) while 3-4 teams see him as a 5-technique or OLB. Stood up on the right outside as "jack" LB in 2014. "He's a pretty looking racehorse but he never finishes the race," another scout said. "He plays lethargic. He's not long enough to be a 5-technique, and I don't think he has instinctive feel or passion for the game." Wore jersey No. 15 because his father Mario wore the same number at FSU before starting at CB for the Cowboys from 2001-'03. Started 28 of 36 games, finishing with 89 tackles (23 for loss) and 8 sacks. "Best thing he does is go up the field," a third scout said. "Once people put their hands on him he just stops and watches. Just kind of coasts and disappears." From Gautier, Miss.

3. OWA ODIGHIZUWA, UCLA (6-3 ½, 264, 4.59, 1-2): Compared by two scouts to Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila. "He'll be a 4-3 DE," one scout said. "Very fascinating player. Parents are first-generation immigrants (from Nigeria). Kid's got instincts and agility and strong hands. Question is, how much bigger is he going to get?" One-year starter at 5-technique after sitting out 2013 following two hip labrum surgeries. Finished with 128 tackles (24½ for loss) and 12 ½ sacks. "He's a tweener," another scout said. "Only chance he can play in our (3-4) scheme is an outside backer. He can set the edge. He's a physical player. He's a little stiff. Doesn't have great instincts but he has great speed." Just 6% body fat. Best vertical jump (39 inches) among linemen. Enormous hands (11 inches). "Little bit of a mechanical player," a third scout said. From Portland, Ore.

4. ELI HAROLD, Virginia (6-3, 247, 4.59, 2): Third-year junior. "Good athlete, not elite," one scout said. "Probably never reach double-digit (sacks) but you'll like him because he plays the run well and rushes the passer well. Just a solid, productive player." Played more down than up in 36 games (24 starts), finishing with 141 tackles (22 for loss) and 17 ½ sacks. "To me, he was disappointing," another scout said. "He had some sack production against bad teams. He's just a designated pass rusher for a 4-3 team, and he's not a special pass rusher. He does have good straight-line speed. Just an up-field speed guy." From Virginia Beach, Va.

5. PRESTON SMITH, Mississippi State (6-5, 272, 4.73, 2-3): Two-year starter. "He's got a big upside," one scout said. "He can play left end on run downs and then rush inside. Good chance he goes top 45." Finished with 134 tackles (27 for loss) and 16 sacks. "He's long and lanky with the bone structure for 290," another scout said. "Better player than athlete. He doesn't play with much twitch, but he's a strong guy against the run. He's not really a true 5-technique. It wouldn't shock me if someone took him in the second because they fell in love with him as a player and type of kid he is." "Fluid, high-cut athlete who wins with length (34-inch arms)," a third scout said. "Doesn't have the initial suddenness driving off the ball." From Stone Mountain, Ga.

6. ZA'DARIUS SMITH, Kentucky (6-4 ½, 272, 4.78, 2-3): Compared by one scout to Bears OLB Pernell McPhee. "That's the toughest guy maybe at D-end in the whole draft," one scout said. "Left end only. Also can play 5-technique. He may go second round." Former junior-college player who finished with 120 tackles (14 for loss) and 10 ½ sacks. "He's strong enough to anchor as a 5-technique and he has some rush ability," one scout said. "Had a good year, got excited about football. He was going to come out a year ago." From Greenville, Ala.

7. DANIELLE HUNTER, Louisiana State (6-5, 251, 4.56, 3): Third-year junior was told by the NFL Advisory Committee to stay in school but declared anyway. "Overrated," one scout said. "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. No instinct." Started 23 of 38 games at DE, finishing with 142 tackles (21 for loss) and 4½ sacks. "There's not a lot of production as a rusher, which obviously you'd like," another scout said. "But the stuff he does is rare. He gets his hands on balls and runs running backs down from behind. At times he is (tough). God doesn't give everything to everybody. He's a better athlete than (Barkevious) Mingo, but I can see the comparison." Long arms (34 ¼), jumps of 36 1/2 (vertical) and position-best 10-10 (broad jump). "I'm probably stronger than he is," a third scout said. "If Mingo's having problems (in Cleveland)...he's not even close to Mingo. He just is not physical. I don't know what you're going to do with him." From Katy, Texas.

8. HENRY ANDERSON, Stanford (6-6, 292, 4.99, 3): Three-year starter from Atlanta. "More of a base end but he does have some pass-rush ability," one scout said. "Five-technique is his base and he moved inside on passing downs. Quick into gaps. Sheds OK. He's quick but not explosive, and he runs upright with some hip tightness." Finished with 138 tackles (32 for loss) and 17 sacks. "He's unappreciated," said another scout. "Really good player." Wonderlic of 36.

9. MARKUS GOLDEN, Missouri (6-2 ½, 258, 4.80, 3-4): Former junior-college player. Rotated behind Michael Sam in 2013 before notching 10 of his 16 ½ sacks in '14. "He's built like Jason Worilds," said one scout. "He doesn't run like Worilds did. I really like him but there is some learning he has to do. It's not because he can't learn. It's how they played him. They reduced him, put him in a four-point stance and he got covered up inside. He's basically a rusher. There's potential there." Hard-charger worked out poorly. Finished with 143 tackles (33 for loss). "He does lack length (31 1/8 arms) but he freaking plays so hard," a second scout said. "Like him. Extremely high effort. Hard-nosed." From St. Louis.

10. DARIUS PHILON, Arkansas (6-1½, 298, 4.92, 4): Renounced final two seasons to enter draft as third-year sophomore. "He has some pass-rush ability," one scout said. "He has talent. Just so inconsistent." Started for 1 ½ seasons, finishing with 93 tackles (20 ½ for loss) and 7½ sacks. Might be too short for 5-technique and too small for nose tackle. Medical reject by one team for unspecified injury. "He was beefed up at the combine (298), but he always played around 280," another scout said. "He's not a fit in a 3-4. He's a 4-3 3-technique. He'll fit more of a Dallas Cowboys' type defense." From Mobile, Ala.

OTHERS: Marcus Hardison, Arizona State; Frank Clark, Michigan; Trey Flowers, Arkansas; Ryan Russell, Purdue; Corey Crawford, Clemson; Cedric Reed, Texas; B.J. DuBose, Louisville; Tavaris Barnes, Clemson; Anthony Chickillo, Miami; Deion Barnes, Penn State.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

1. LEONARD WILLIAMS, Southern California (6-4 ½, 303, 4.95, 1): Third-year junior from Daytona Beach, Fla. "Leonard's just the whole thing," one scout said. "He has speed, good pad level, leverage, arm extension, separation, shed, pass-rush quickness, low-block conscious, swim move. He reminds me of (Ndamukong) Suh. He's probably quicker but not as powerful. He won't be a bust." Played 5-technique for the Trojans. "The world doesn't know what he's going to be because he played that tight 3-4 position," another scout said. "He did a great job controlling blockers and playing gap to gap. He likes to play it, but he's a legitimate guy who will find out how much better he can be as a 3-technique." Started 35 of 39 games, finishing with 218 tackles (36 ½ for loss) and 21 sacks. "He has so much ability it's almost scary," a third scout said. Wonderlic of 22. Tied Carl Davis for longest arms (34 5/8) among top DTs. "He's not a gigantic guy," a fourth scout said. "He's not Suh. But he's athletic and moves good."

2. DANNY SHELTON, Washington (6-2, 338, 5.61, 1): Three-year starter led leading DTs on bench press with 34 reps. "You watch him roll through things and get people off his feet and run to the sideline," one scout said. "I never, ever would have thought that (5.61) would be his 40. He's one of those old San Diego Charger defensive tackles like Louie Kelcher (1975-'83) that just stands in there and mauls you." Gregarious personality from Auburn, Wash. "I wanted to just hate him because of his measurables," another scout said. "His shuttle times and all that were just awful. But I couldn't believe how good he plays. Fundamental football player. He strikes with his hands and controls blockers, not in his territory but in their territory. He's not going to be leaping on piles 25 yards downfield but from tackle to tackle he dominates." Started 40 of 52 games, finishing with 203 tackles (24 for loss) and 11 ½ sacks. Wonderlic of 23. "If he doesn't maintain his weight, he could be a bust," a third scout said. "If he does, he's got a chance to be like a Vince Wilfork guy."

3. EDDIE GOLDMAN, Florida State (6-4, 336, 5.28. 1): Third-year junior. "Peaks and valleys player," one scout said. "When he wanted to he could take it over. Other times he wasn't (a factor). He has the movement, the strength. He can two-gap and control inside. Would have liked to see it in longer stretches." Started 27 of 37 games, finishing with 62 tackles (12 for loss) and 6 sacks. "Overrated," another scout said. "Average athlete. Not a great pass rusher. Plays high. He can do that (eat up blocks). (B.J.) Raji's better than Goldman." Played LE in 2013, DT in '14. "People are going to like him because of his size," a third scout said. "He doesn't make any plays. He's never going to be a pass rusher. Not a real instinctive guy. He'll get blocked by the same blocking scheme three or four times in a row and not react to it." From Washington, D.C.

4. MALCOM BROWN, Texas (6-2 ½, 321, 5.07, 1): Third-year junior. "Tough, smart (Wonderlic of 19), strong (26 bench-press reps)," one scout said. "Play the 1-technique, play the 3-technique. He's got great character. He's not going to be all-world but he's going to be a good contributor." Started 26 of 39 games, finishing with 165 tackles (29 for loss) and 8 ½ sacks. "He's got excellent athletic ability," another scout said. "He's quick, got some strength. He's disruptive. He penetrates." Married with two daughters. "At times he plays hard," a third scout said. "Then he floats around at times. He's not a great technician as a rusher but still ended up with 6 ½ sacks (in '14). He's got some rush ability inside. Just needs to be more consistent." From Brenham, Texas.

5. JORDAN PHILLIPS, Oklahoma (6-5 ½, 328, 5.18, 1-2): Fourth-year junior from Towanda, Kan. "He has the most upside of everybody in the group, but he just doesn't play hard all the time," one scout said. "He's just really a nice kid. He has that understated, soft-spoken demeanor. He doesn't come across as an (expletive)-kicker type guy, and you wish you'd see more of that. Extremely light on his feet. He's a 330-pound guy who can do a front flip backward." Played just four games in 2013 before undergoing back surgery for a disc problem. The back limited his lifting (squats, power cleans) and is viewed cautiously by some teams. "You talk about him in the first or second round," another scout said. "Are you kidding me? What has he done? One-fourth of his tackles were made in a bowl game against Clemson and they got beat, 45-0 (actually 40-6). He's more physically impressive than those other top guys, but he doesn't play like them. Stands straight up. Near the end of the year they started taking him out in passing situations because he wasn't getting any penetration." Played extensively as a 5-technique. Started 17 of 28 games, finishing with 58 tackles (9 for loss) and 3½ sacks. "He doesn't have the tape, he's 30% body fat, and I don't know if he loves football," a third scout said.

6. CARL DAVIS, Iowa (6-4 ½, 320, 5.08, 1-2): "He's probably the most talented, even with Leonard Williams," one scout said. "You get about one play out of every 10 with that guy. He's lazy. He has the chance of being an all-pro and the best chance of being a bust." Two-year starter with 92 tackles (14 ½ for loss) and 3 ½ sacks. "If Carl had (Louis) Trinca-Pasat's intensity level he'd go in the first round," another scout said, referring to Iowa's other DT. "He doesn't. He plays like he is, a nice guy. His character is impeccable. He scares the hell out of me." Went to the Senior Bowl and tore it up, enhancing his draft prospects. "He could be somebody like (Haloti) Ngata," a third scout said. "Dominated the Senior Bowl. Very good explosion, very good strength." From Livonia, Mich. "You talk about an underachiever," a fourth scout said. "Damn good kid. Doesn't love football. Doesn't grind in the weight room. Doesn't know what it takes. Got a basketball mentality." Long arms (34 5/8), huge hands (11).

7. XAVIER COOPER, Washington State (6-3, 293, 4.85, 2-3): Fourth-year junior from Tacoma, Wash. "Quick 3-technique dude," one scout said. "Very athletic. Gets on the edges with his feet and lateral quickness. He can get off on the snap and create havoc. The whole thing will be, does he have enough arm length (31 ½) to separate himself from the bigger blockers? He can be stout." Started 34 of 36 games, finishing with 121 tackles (31 ½ for loss) and 13 sacks. "Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none," another scout said. "Had a really good pro day. Needs to win with quickness. Needs to get stronger."

8. MICHAEL BENNETT, Ohio State (6-2, 295, 5.03, 2-3): Finished with 111 tackles (31 ½ for loss) and 18 sacks in 49 games (29 starts). "Athletic 3-technique," one scout said. "He'll be a starter eventually. The Lovie Smith-Rod Marinelli defenses will love him." Posted a remarkable Wonderlic score of 43 after notching 30 in his first attempt a year ago. "You've got to be careful with some of these short, undersized guys," another scout said. "Then they try to gain weight and it screws them all up." Improved down the stretch in '14 after a sluggish start. "Not sure if he's quick enough for a smaller guy to win on a consistent basis," a third scout said. "He's not as talented as Jurrell Casey. He's not even close to Aaron Donald." From Centerville, Ohio.

9. GRADY JARRETT, Clemson (6-0 ½, 301, 5.08, 3-4): Son of former Falcons MLB Jessie Tuggle, a five-time Pro Bowl player. "He is an exceptional run defender," one scout said. "Really, really quick. He got a couple cleanup sacks, but he can't rush the passer. You've got a two-down player. There's no question he's a good college football player. I have trouble getting excited about guys that can't rush the passer." Smart (Wonderlic of 31), athletic and productive. Finished with 137 tackles (29 ½ for loss) and 5½ sacks in 48 games (37 starts). "He's a runaround guy but he plays hard," a third scout said. "He's a little undersized but they don't have to play every down like they do in college. You're playing 30 plays a game, not 75 like in college." From Conyers, Ga.

10. LEON ORR, Florida (6-5, 320, 5.14, 4-5): Got into a spat with Gators coach Will Muschamp about playing time before Nov. 8 game at Vanderbilt and was sent home from Nashville on a Greyhound bus after leaving team. "Wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole," one scout said. Had a checkered past even before that during five years in Gainesville. Started 10 of 39 games, finishing with 65 tackles (13 for loss) and 4 ½ sacks. "He made a mistake, an emotional mistake, but it can be overcome," said another scout. "I do think he's a good kid, which is why he was allowed to work back at pro day. He's got a lot of talent. He has to work on being more of a brute." From New Port Richey, Fla.

OTHERS: Angelo Blackson, Auburn; Christian Covington, Rice; Deon Simon, Northwestern State (La.); Derrick Lott, Tennessee-Chattanooga; Ellis McCarthy, UCLA; Joey Mbu, Houston; Rakeem Nunez-Roches, Southern Mississippi; Xavier Williams, Northern Iowa; L.T. Walton, Central Michigan; Gabe Wright, Auburn; Louis Trinca-Pasat, Iowa.

dallen

Senior Tech
10. DARIUS PHILON, Arkansas (6-1½, 298, 4.92, 4): Renounced final two seasons to enter draft as third-year sophomore. "He has some pass-rush ability," one scout said. "He has talent. Just so inconsistent." Started for 1 ½ seasons, finishing with 93 tackles (20 ½ for loss) and 7½ sacks. Might be too short for 5-technique and too small for nose tackle. Medical reject by one team for unspecified injury. "He was beefed up at the combine (298), but he always played around 280," another scout said. "He's not a fit in a 3-4. He's a 4-3 3-technique. He'll fit more of a Dallas Cowboys' type defense."
:towel

dallen

Senior Tech
What's your view on Trey Flowers?
I drafted him in the Mayock Invitational for the Giants in the 3rd round so pretty high. I see him as a high single digit sack \ run stopper guy. He's just good at pretty much everything. Not a lot of weaknesses, but not a lot stand out skills either.

74. Trey Flowers - DE - Arkansas
This could be viewed as a bit of a homer pick by the Arkansas grad, but Flowers is good value here. I was actually hoping to get Jake Fisher (OT) here but Simp swooped in and grabbed him a few picks before me. Much like Cann, Flowers is another guy that does a lot of things really well, and a long time SEC starter. He got production in the passing game in college, but I don't see him as a pass rush specialist in the NFL. He could make a great bookend across from Ray for a long time. If nothing else, his ability to line up anywhere on the Dline and contribute makes him a great get here.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I really like Philon as an interior rusher in our scheme later in the draft.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I really like Philon as an interior rusher in our scheme later in the draft.
Not sure we will want him though. He had a bad attitude during team interviews at the Combine and you wonder how his botched recruitment by Saban to Alabama gets back to his buddy Garrett.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I drafted him in the Mayock Invitational for the Giants in the 3rd round so pretty high. I see him as a high single digit sack \ run stopper guy. He's just good at pretty much everything. Not a lot of weaknesses, but not a lot stand out skills either.
Motor seems Marinelliesque from the clips I've seen.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Defensive backs

By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel

April 28, 2015 8:33 p.m.

Bob McGinn’s Draft Series: Defensive Backs: Top cornerback prospects come with character issues

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top cornerbacks and safeties in the draft this week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

CORNERBACKS

1. TRAE WAYNES, Michigan State (6-0, 186, 4.26, 1): Fourth-year junior. "He's the best by a long shot," said one scout. "I liked him before he ran. Very smart guy (scored 20 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test). He's ready to play. He's everything you want in a corner." Blazed a 40 at the combine to cement status as top CB. "The only concern is he's a little slight," another scout said. "He's 6-0 and moves like he's 5-9. He's got the slender hips and thighs. So the same thing you knock him on is really the reason he moves as well as he does." Started 27 of 36 games, finishing with 101 tackles (four for loss), six interceptions and 13 passes broken up (PBUs). "He's always going to struggle in off (coverage) because he doesn't have good enough weight transition," a third scout said. "You just press him and run." Average arm length (31 inches), tiny hands (8¼). "Very even-keeled," said a fourth scout. "Good teammate. Not going to talk trash. Good worker." From Kenosha Bradford High School.

2. KEVIN JOHNSON, Wake Forest (6-0 ½, 184, 4.48, 1): Played 46 games in four seasons, sitting out 2011 for academic reasons. "He has the best feet of anybody," one scout said. "Great footwork. Can play press and off. Extremely quick. Good ball skills. He has good length but he lacks bulk. But he's tough and tries to knock people out in the run game. It scares you because of how he's built." Has 161 pounds of muscle mass; average for an NFL CB is 178. Weighed 145 upon enrollment in 2010. "You could see thin on tape," another scout said. "However, people didn't beat him up. Some guys get bumped around. He's a smart (Wonderlic of 17), tough, good player." Finished with 189 tackles (eight for loss), seven picks and 38 PBUs. Was recruited by Wisconsin. "He played in the 170s," said a third scout. "He worked on putting on weight. He's got cover skills and corner swagger. The majority of his career he's been hands-down the best player at Wake Forest. Kind of been an immature, 'I'm going to do it my way' guy. Late in the year, despite having a terrible season, guys there were speaking very positively about how he matured and progressed. That was very telling." Vertical jump of 41 ½ inches. From Clarksville, Md.

3. MARCUS PETERS, ex-Washington (5-11 ½, 196, 4.50, 1-2): Fourth-year junior. "He's an interesting fellow," said one scout. "He plays well so somebody will take him because of that. He didn't run quite as fast as you wish he did. Whether anybody takes him in the first round is suspect." Played three seasons, starting 27 of 35 games before being booted off the team in November after several confrontations with members of the Huskies' coaching staff. Finished with 129 tackles (9 ½ for loss), 11 picks and 35 PBUs. "He's very, very smooth," another scout said. "Good press man. Played a lot of zone in bail technique. He gives inconsistent effort. Needs to be more physical. Inconsistent tackler. He's a high grabber. At the school they said he was talented, immature, headstrong, not a team guy and mouthy on and off the field. I gave him a third-round grade. He was just so inconsistent." Played at McClymond High in Oakland. Wonderlic of 13. "He's not talented enough to where he's a top-10 pick and you say, 'I'll take the issues and deal with him,'" a third scout said. "He lived with Marshawn Lynch. This is a guy ...I don't think anything has ever been his fault. Guess what? People that think that way usually have more issues."

4. JALEN COLLINS, Louisiana State (6-1 ½, 201, 4.49, 1-2): Fourth-year junior started one game in 2012, two in '13 and seven in '14. "I think he can cover," one scout said. "He's going to have his limitations moving around like most 6-0, 6-1 guys. But playing at LSU and having the skill set that he does, it shouldn't take him too long. If you're a team that plays a lot of press, then he could come in and play right away. If you're a team that has a lot of different coverages and you want him to play off or play zone, then there will be some growing pains." Finished with 90 tackles (three for loss), three picks and 25 PBUs. "Great length but extremely raw," a second scout said. "He wasn't even theguy at LSU. Only reason he got playing time was a younger guy was a knucklehead and got suspended. He has a lot to learn about the intricacies playing the position and the footwork. From a talent standpoint, the arrow points really high on him." Wonderlic of 28. Has failed three drug tests. "He was up there (high on team's board) and then we got more exposure and he went downhill pretty quick," said a third scout. "His talent is as good as anybody's." From Olive Branch, Miss.

5. BYRON JONES, Connecticut (6-0 ½, 199. 4.42, 1-2): Started at FS in 2011-'12 before moving to CB in 2013-'14. "Blew up the combine," one scout said. "You see those things on the field. Really good movement skills. He played better in press." Finished with 223 tackles (3 ½ for loss), eight picks and 18 PBUs. His broad jump of 12-3 probably was longer than any player's in NFL annals. Also posted a vertical jump of 44½ and had 33 on the Wonderlic. "Doesn't play as well as he works out," said a second scout. "Doesn't have great instincts. Little stiff at the top. But all those big long guys are in vogue now because all the receivers are 6-8." Underwent shoulder surgery (labrum) near midseason. "No, he can't cover," a third scout said. "I don't think he's got the feel." From New Britain, Conn.

6. P.J. WILLIAMS, Florida State (6-0, 192, 4.49, 2): Third-year junior. "Good corner," said one scout. "He has athletic ability. He will tackle. He's not all you want on top-end (speed) but I see him as a late first." Started 24 of 40 games, finishing with 123 tackles, four picks and 18 PBUs. "Probably a better press corner than an off zone corner," said another scout. "He's athletic, but long speed may be a concern. He's a build-up (speed) kind of runner. He's a tough tackler. He's really not a safety. He's got enough suddenness to play corner." Vertical jump of 41, Wonderlic of 18. "Long, leggy guy," a third scout said. "I think his strength is playing the ball while he's in press. He has good ball skills. He came in as a free safety, and I think he could play safety." From Ocala, Fla.

7. RONALD DARBY, Florida State (5-10 ½, 192, 4.38, 2): Third-year junior. "Really good athlete," one scout said. "Not as good a player as his ability. You're drafting him on ability. He's still got some project to him." Two-year starter opposite Williams. "He's faster, more twitchy than Williams but he just lacks coverage instincts," a second scout said. "Inexplicably, he lets guys run by him. You're like, 'Wait a minute.' Because he's a 4.3 guy. He's peeking in the backfield, his footwork's all jacked, he turns the wrong way in coverage." Finished with 79 tackles (one for loss), two picks and 16 PBUs. Wonderlic of 17. From Oxon Hill, Md.

8. ALEX CARTER, Stanford (6-0, 199, 4.51, 2-3): Surprised Stanford's staff by declaring as a third-year junior. "God, he's a hard guy (to evaluate)," one scout said. "He's athletic and has good size. Just not a lot of splash to his game. Nondescript. He can run and has length. Not sure how tough he is. Doesn't have much swagger. He's kind of a reliable steady Eddie." Father, Tom, was a first-round pick (17) in 1993 and a serviceable starter for three teams through 2001. "He's fluid, pretty," another scout said. "But he doesn't make any plays." Started 33 of 40 games, finishing with 146 tackles (five for loss), two picks and 18 PBUs. Wonderlic of 30. "He's got no feel and he's not explosive," a third scout said. From Ashburn, Va.

9. D'JOUN SMITH, Florida Atlantic (5-10, 190, 4.43, 3): Three-year starter. "He had the best week of all the corners at the Senior Bowl," said Phil Savage, the game's executive director. Finished with 120 tackles (4 ½ for loss), nine picks and 29 PBUs. "Bench presses 20 times," another scout said. "Physical player. Athlete. If you don't like him at corner he's got free safety skills." From Miami. "If there's a guy that can pull a Khyri (Thornton) this year and go somewhere in the third and everybody goes, 'Whoa,' he'd be that guy," a third scout said. "He is tough. His coaches will love him. He can play, man. He can become a starter down the road."

10. IFO EKPRE-OLOMU, Oregon (5-9, 192, 4.6, 3-4): Suffered a torn ACL Dec. 17 practicing for the bowl playoffs. "He could have been the best one," one scout said. "He's a little guy, but he plays big and he's a really good tackler." Three-year starter with 244 tackles (6 ½ for loss), nine picks and 43 PBUs. "He's one guy you feel bad for," said another scout. "He went back to school to improve his stock. If he had come out last year he would have been an easy first-rounder. With the injuries it's tough to really know what you're getting." From Chino Hills, Calif. "He is (a playmaker), but he's a midget, too," a third scout said. "Where you gonna take him? He's too short for me."

OTHERS: Doran Grant, Ohio State; Senquez Golson, Mississippi; Bobby McCain, Memphis; Steven Nelson, Oregon State; Charles Gaines, Louisville; Craig Mager, Texas State; Tye Smith, Towson; Lorenzo Doss, Tulane; Tray Walker, Texas Southern; Quandre Diggs, Texas; JaCorey Shepherd, Kansas; Nick Marshall, Auburn; Jacoby Glenn, Central Florida.

SAFETIES

1. LANDON COLLINS, Alabama (6-0, 224, 4.47, 1):Third-year junior. "He's my favorite player at Alabama the last few years," said one scout. "Outstanding defensive temperament. He's got a Raven mentality. He slipped some because people are concerned about his center-field ability. He got beat over his head against Ole Miss, and that has perpetuated this belief that maybe he can't do it. His pro-day workout was a little underwhelming. But you're not drafting him to do that. You're drafting him to mix it up, cover tight ends, control the middle between the hashes. Neither Mark Barron nor Ha Ha (Clinton-Dix) are the intimidating presence of Landon Collins. Ha Ha is a little bit more of a rangy center-field type." Two-year starter with 190 tackles (8½ for loss), five picks and 13 PBUs. "He's the best safety by default," said a second scout. "He's not special. Any other year, he wouldn't be there. He's just kind of a solid guy. Box safety." Wonderlic of 17. From New Orleans. Added a third scout: "I don't like him. Dix was a better athlete. He's physical and can run, but I worry about him in the deep part of the field."

2. DAMARIOUS RANDALL, Arizona State (5-11, 197, 4.41, 1-2): Played junior-college baseball for a year, hurt his shoulder and returned to football for two JC seasons. Started for Sun Devils at FS in 2013-'14. "He reminds me of Devin McCourty," one scout said. "Size is the hold-back. He's just not physical." Twelve months ago his weight was 187. "He reminds me a little bit of the guy the 49ers drafted last year (Jimmie Ward) at the bottom of the first," a second scout said. "People talk about it's a passing league and the box safety is growing out of style. He kind of fits in with the new wave of safeties who can cover receivers and are strong enough to play around the line of scrimmage. But sometimes he gambles a little too much and takes himself out of position." Finished with 177 tackles (15 for loss), six picks and 12 PBUs. Wonderlic of 18. "He's not a good tackler," a third scout said. "He doesn't break down. Just dives at people. Small-framed person. Small waist. Little bowlegged." From Pensacola, Fla.

3. ERIC ROWE, Utah (6-0 ½, 204, 4.41, 2): Started 33 games at FS, nine (all in 2014) at CB and three at SS. "He probably will be drafted as a corner," one scout said. "Ideally, he's a safety that drops down and plays in the slot in sub packages. Good prospect." Finished with 261 tackles (seven for loss), three picks and 34 PBUs. "He's not a man cover corner," a second scout said. "He's a straight-line guy. As a safety, he'd have to be a free. I don't see him as a strong to come up and knock you stiff, that kind of thing. He will have a very hard time playing safety if that test score (11) is true to his reading ability and decision-making ability." Most teams give more credence to a player's score the first time he takes the Wonderlic. Rowe improved markedly to 23 at the combine in his second attempt. "(Keith) McGill last year was more fluid than him," a third scout said. "He's got some stiffness. Not very quick." From Spring, Texas.

4. QUINTEN ROLLINS, Miami (Ohio) (5-11, 195, 4.54, 2-3): Amassed 391 assists and 214 steals in Oxford as a four-year point guard. He used his final year of eligibility to play football for the first time since high school in Wilmington, Ohio. Started at CB, finishing with 72 tackles (four for loss), seven picks and nine PBUs. "For a kid who was playing basketball last year, pretty impressive," one scout said. "And he'll come up and hit you, which is equally shocking because he was a basketball player. He came up and laid people out." His 40 time, however, probably was best suited for safety. "I'd move him to safety because of his ball skills and awareness," the scout continued. "I don't think he has the long speed to ever start at corner. Intriguing. Extremely raw."

5. JAQUISKI TARTT, Samford (6-1 ½, 219, 4.49, 3): Played just one year of high school football in Mobile, Ala. "He has great up side," said one scout. "When you see a guy 220-plus as a safety you automatically think the guy's going to be a hammer. He's a free safety. He's too inconsistent as a tackler. His ball skills, his range and his recognition as a one-high guy are his strengths. I just don't think he's a box guy. He's a third-round talent." Started 34 of 44 games, finishing with 277 tackles, six picks and 20 PBUs. "Work in progress," another scout said. "I think he's physical and he can run."

6. JAMES SAMPLE, Louisville (6-2, 207, 4.51, 3-4): Spent 2011-'12 at Washington, '13 at a junior college and then found a home at Louisville. Started 13 games in Calvin Pryor's old berth at FS. "Eventually he'll be a starter," one scout said. "He can cover tight ends. Very physical. It will take him a little time to learn it and understand things. The (mental) is a concern. But he got to Louisville in August and won the job three days later. So how bad can it be?" Wonderlic of 12. In his lone season for the Cardinals he registered 90 tackles (two for loss), four picks and eight PBUs. "He's a little better than I thought," a second scout said. "Kind of a hybrid type guy. He played nickel safety and corner, too. He's got cover skills and toughness about him." From Sacramento, Calif.

7. IBRAHEIM CAMPBELL, Northwestern (5-11 ½, 209, 4.53, 3-4): Helped himself with an impressive Senior Bowl week and pro day. "Kind of on the rise a little bit," one scout said. "Plays OK and tested out a little better than I thought he would." Four-year starter with 316 tackles (7½ for loss), 11 picks and 24 PBUs. "He's a very complete safety," another scout said. Wonderlic of 26. "Free agent," said a third scout. "He is (fast) if he runs in a straight line. He's stiff. Can't cover." From Philadelphia.

8. ADRIAN AMOS, Penn State (6-0 ½, 218, 4.47, 3-4): Three-year starter. "He is a former corner," one scout said. "You see that. He's got cover skills for a safety. He's not Jack Tatum but he's tough enough. Good space tackler. Really stood out in coverage in the Senior Bowl practices. He will be a starter." Finished with 149 tackles (nine for loss), seven picks and 22 PBUs. From Baltimore.

9. JOSH SHAW, Southern California (6-0 ½, 200, 4.38, 4): Spent two years at Florida before transferring. Started 18 games at CB and three at FS, finishing with 108 tackles (7½ for loss), six picks and 15 PBUs. "He's a safety," one scout said. "Can't play corner. Tight hips. He covered the slot this year and he's so stiff. He has speed and he is tough." Fabricated a story in August about rescuing his drowning nephew after leaping from a balcony and spraining both ankles. In fact, he was evading police who were called when an argument with his girlfriend got loud. He was benched after his lie to coach Steve Sarkisian was uncovered. No domestic charges were filed, and he returned to start the final three games. "So what?" said another scout when asked about the incident. "I like him as a corner." From Palmdale, Calif.

10. ANTHONY HARRIS, Virginia (6-0 ½, 184, 4.65, 4-5): Three-year starter who can direct a secondary. "He really knows how to play football," said one scout. "You could draft him late and he'll make your team. He's going to know what to do. He'll probably have a nice career because he can figure it out." Finished with 289 tackles (six for loss), 11 picks and 19 PBUs. "You worry about him a little bit in the box," the scout said. "He's willing but he's light. Looks more like a big corner. He's got no acceleration but he puts himself a step ahead because he's smart." From Chesterfield, Va.

OTHERS: Derron Smith, Fresno State; Kurtis Drummond, Michigan State; Jordan Richards, Stanford; Gerod Holliman, Louisville; Cody Prewitt, Mississippi; Justin Cox, Mississippi State; Clayton Geathers, Central Florida; Durell Eskridge, Syracuse; Dean Marlowe, James Madison; Chris Hackett, Texas Christian; Kyshoen Jarrett, Virginia Tech.

Top Bottom