Browns may make a move for Mariota, or try again for Bradford

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 31, 2015, 8:26 AM EDT

In yet another sign that those around the Browns do not see Johnny Manziel as the franchise quarterback, a recent report out of Cleveland suggests that the Browns may try to move up in the draft for Marcus Mariota, or try again to acquire Sam Bradford.

Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com writes that the Browns are fully prepared to start Josh McCown this year, but they’re also not done trying to get better at the quarterback position. In fact, Cabot thinks the Browns will try to trade up in the draft for Mariota, and may also make another run at Bradford.

The Browns offered the Rams a first-round draft pick for Bradford and the Rams declined, deciding instead to take the Eagles’ offer of Nick Foles. But the Browns could see if the Eagles would trade Bradford. There’s been talk that what Chip Kelly really wants is to move up and draft Mariota, his old Oregon quarterback. If the Browns, who own two first-round picks, could help give Kelly the ammunition to move up and get his guy, Kelly might be willing to part with Bradford.

But if the Browns have the ammunition to move up for Mariota, they might just do that themselves. Bradford comes with an expensive 2015 salary and becomes a free agent next year. If the Browns can get Mariota, they’ve got their franchise quarterback for years to come.

Of course, that’s what they thought last year when they drafted Manziel. Instead, Cabot writes that the Browns are down on him and may not even be able to get much for Manziel in a trade. Cabot speculates that maybe Jerry Jones is interested in Manziel.

Or maybe Chip Kelly is interested in Manziel.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 31, 2015, 8:26 AM EDT

In yet another sign that those around the Browns do not see Johnny Manziel as the franchise quarterback, a recent report out of Cleveland suggests that the Browns may try to move up in the draft for Marcus Mariota, or try again to acquire Sam Bradford.

Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com writes that the Browns are fully prepared to start Josh McCown this year, but they’re also not done trying to get better at the quarterback position. In fact, Cabot thinks the Browns will try to trade up in the draft for Mariota, and may also make another run at Bradford.

The Browns offered the Rams a first-round draft pick for Bradford and the Rams declined, deciding instead to take the Eagles’ offer of Nick Foles. But the Browns could see if the Eagles would trade Bradford. There’s been talk that what Chip Kelly really wants is to move up and draft Mariota, his old Oregon quarterback. If the Browns, who own two first-round picks, could help give Kelly the ammunition to move up and get his guy, Kelly might be willing to part with Bradford.

But if the Browns have the ammunition to move up for Mariota, they might just do that themselves. Bradford comes with an expensive 2015 salary and becomes a free agent next year. If the Browns can get Mariota, they’ve got their franchise quarterback for years to come.

Of course, that’s what they thought last year when they drafted Manziel. Instead, Cabot writes that the Browns are down on him and may not even be able to get much for Manziel in a trade. Cabot speculates that maybe Jerry Jones is interested in Manziel.

Or maybe Chip Kelly is interested in Manziel.
Can we now remove the Saviour title from Manxiel?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
After one year, it's unfair to put any positive or negative title on anyone.
Yep, he has made a heck of a splash evefywhere but on the field. I haven't given up on him because I never had any confidence from the onset. He is a good athlete but undiciplined and came out too quick. I don't think he will allow himself an opportunity to develop.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, he has made a heck of a splash evefywhere but on the field. I haven't given up on him because I never had any confidence from the onset. He is a good athlete but undiciplined and came out too quick. I don't think he will allow himself an opportunity to develop.
He has all the skills but he needs a disciplinarian coach to get the most out of him. The whole Browns team last year was a disaster. I think half that team was more concerned about partying then winning football games. The man needs a Parcells like head coach to give him a kick in the ass. If he gets that I think he could still put together an excellent NFL career.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Want to see Exhibit A on how to never compete for a championship?

Watch Browns trade up for Johnny Football then a year later try to trade a first round pick for Sam Bradford. :lol

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If I were the Browns I'd try to ride out this Johnny Football thing. Build the team around him and if he's still not good in a couple of years, then move on.

OTOH, if Jerry still wants an heir in place for Romo I got no problems slipping the Browns a 5th for JFF. Put him on the "Dez" plan and see if he develops.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I wouldn't give a 5th for him. No damn way.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
If I were the Browns I'd try to ride out this Johnny Football thing. Build the team around him and if he's still not good in a couple of years, then move on.

OTOH, if Jerry still wants an heir in place for Romo I got no problems slipping the Browns a 5th for JFF. Put him on the "Dez" plan and see if he develops.
I wouldn't consider trading for him, period. He never had NFL potential and he never will. The guy is a fraud and a ticking time bomb as a person.

Top Bottom