Fantasy Football: Questions/Discussion

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
12 team 1.0 PPR league.

I kept Megatron for a 2nd round pick and Gio Bernard for a 6th. In the 1st round all of the RBs I was interested in at that spot were off the board so I drafted Julio Jones. Nice 1-2 punch with him and Megatron. I was hoping like hell that Shane Vereen would be there for my next pick but he went off the board a couple picks ahead of me. With Vereen gone there were no RBs I felt good about for that pick either so I took PPR stud Antonio Brown to play at my Flex spot.

I took kind of a shotgun approach to RB2 after that. I got Toby Gerhart, who should be a 3 down back that gets goal line carries and catches some passes, but on a terrible offense. I also ended up with committee guy with upside Lamar Miller, wait and see Bishop Sankey (I expect decent production in the second half of the season), and Bernard Pierce who has value for at least the first couple weeks.

I don't feel great about my RB2 but can play matchups. I really, really like Vereen in a 1.0 PPR this year though and his owner and I have had preliminary discussion about following trade but nothing is set yet: I give A. Brown and Gerhart for Vereen and Crabtree. Would you do it if you were me? Am I underestimating Gerhart? Overestimating Vereen?

Thanks to anyone who gives feedback.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I wouldn't make that trade. Crabtree has proven unreliable, and you would be banking an almost certain bet in Brown for a maybe in Vereen.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
You're overestimating Vereen imo, while I really like him(have him in my dynasty league) with the way the Pats get all their rbs involved I think he's going to produce about like Woodhead this year and neither are worth Brown who is Rapistburgers only proven option

D

Deuce

I wouldn't make that trade. Crabtree has proven unreliable, and you would be banking an almost certain bet in Brown for a maybe in Vereen.
I don't agree on Crabtree. He's been the #1 for Kaepernick since he took over at QB. He's going to have a big year if he's healthy.

D

Deuce

As an aside, I started with a group of guys in a Dynasty league this year. Never tried it before, but I'm looking forward to this team competing now and building on it. Didn't get near as many young talented rookies as I wanted, but I'm happy. My only gripe with the league is its "best ball" format. That takes the skill out of the league for the lazy players. Here's my roster.

Bortles, Blake JAC QB
Manning, Eli NYG QB
Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB

Bush, Reggie DET RB
Foster, Arian HOU RB
Rice, Ray BAL RB
Sproles, Darren PHI RB
Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB

Amendola, Danny NEP WR
Austin, Tavon STL WR
Johnson, Calvin DET WR
Moore, Denarius OAK WR
Smith, Steve BAL WR
Welker, Wes DEN WR
Williams, Terrance DAL WR

Amaro, Jace NYJ TE
Eifert, Tyler CIN TE
Gates, Antonio SDC TE

Bailey, Dan DAL PK
Prater, Matt DEN PK

Seahawks, Seattle SEA Def
Texans, Houston HOU Def

Cotton

Staff member
I don't agree on Crabtree. He's been the #1 for Kaepernick since he took over at QB. He's going to have a big year if he's healthy.
Exactly. He has been spotty. And, not that great of a FF player. Trust me, I tried for a few years as a Tech homer, but he has disappointed me every year.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Exactly. He has been spotty. And, not that great of a FF player. Trust me, I tried for a few years as a Tech homer, but he has disappointed me every year.
Yep health is definitely an issue for him, I think the ceiling for Crabtree is 900yards/6tds even being the #1wr considering they are a running team and also have Stevie Johnson, Bolden, & Vernon Davis to take targets away

Cotton

Staff member
Yep health is definitely an issue for him, I think the ceiling for Crabtree is 900yards/6tds even being the #1wr considering they are a running team and also have Stevie Johnson, Bolden, & Vernon Davis to take targets away
I will never again have Crabtree on one of my FF teams. Coming from a TTU fanatic, that is saying something.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
As an aside, I started with a group of guys in a Dynasty league this year. Never tried it before, but I'm looking forward to this team competing now and building on it. Didn't get near as many young talented rookies as I wanted, but I'm happy. My only gripe with the league is its "best ball" format. That takes the skill out of the league for the lazy players. Here's my roster.

Bortles, Blake JAC QB
Manning, Eli NYG QB
Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB

Bush, Reggie DET RB
Foster, Arian HOU RB
Rice, Ray BAL RB
Sproles, Darren PHI RB
Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB

Amendola, Danny NEP WR
Austin, Tavon STL WR
Johnson, Calvin DET WR
Moore, Denarius OAK WR
Smith, Steve BAL WR
Welker, Wes DEN WR
Williams, Terrance DAL WR

Amaro, Jace NYJ TE
Eifert, Tyler CIN TE
Gates, Antonio SDC TE

Bailey, Dan DAL PK
Prater, Matt DEN PK

Seahawks, Seattle SEA Def
Texans, Houston HOU Def
I'd for sure try to add some youth especially at rb, maybe see if Grimes is available to handcuff Foster.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I will never again have Crabtree on one of my FF teams. Coming from a TTU fanatic, that is saying something.
I'd have him on my team, just wouldn't pay much

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
General observations from my money league that I think we can all ask for our own leagues:

So who had a numbnut that picked Maurice Jones-Drew waaaaaaay too early?

Who asked why Toby Gerhart is ranked so high by Yahoo?

Still has that guy who takes the same MFing guys, every year, regardless of previous year production.

What guy picked Kiko Alonso as an IDP very late and got upset when you informed them in chat he is likely done for the year?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
General observations from my money league that I think we can all ask for our own leagues:

So who had a numbnut that picked Maurice Jones-Drew waaaaaaay too early?

Still has that guy who takes the same MFing guys, every year, regardless of previous year production.

What guy picked Kiko Alonso as an IDP very late and got upset when you informed them in chat he is likely done for the year?
also the guys who want to find a sleeper so bad(Jerry Jones syndrome) they actually take the backup before the starter, draft last night guy took Hyde with Gore still on the board(redraft league)

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Are you guys buying into Gerhart in fantasy this year? He was the best RB2 I could get in my 1.0 PPR league. I know he's going to be a 3 down back that gets goal line carries/catches passes. Volume will be his friend. But is he going to be worth a shit? That offense is going to be bad and he is, you know, white. I have him as a pure bench player in my 10 team league & am comfortable with that, but I'm definitely a little nervous relying on him as a starter. Most sources have him ranked respectably enough that I should be fine with it but I'm not sure I really buy it.

Cotton

Staff member
Are you guys buying into Gerhart in fantasy this year? He was the best RB2 I could get in my 1.0 PPR league. I know he's going to be a 3 down back that gets goal line carries/catches passes. Volume will be his friend. But is he going to be worth a shit? That offense is going to be bad and he is, you know, white. I have him as a pure bench player in my 10 team league & am comfortable with that, but I'm definitely a little nervous relying on him as a starter. Most sources have him ranked respectably enough that I should be fine with it but I'm not sure I really buy it.
I'm not taking that chance.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He should be ok given he should get alot of carries but personally I'd try and trade him off after his first decent game

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
One last comment on Vereen... as long as Ridley has a pulse, he will continue to eat into Vereen's numbers. I have been juggling those two guys on my fantasy teams for years now, and just when it looks like one has the a lock on the job, Brady goes to the other. It's completely frustrating.

Hell, other than Brady himself, trying to pick a reliable fantasy producer from the Patriots offense is near impossible. Especially since Welker has departed.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Seems like the only constant on the Pats offense is an injury to Gronk.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I appreciate all the feedback on Vereen, fellas. The trade talks I had involving him were only preliminary and I have decided not to pursue the trade I had discussed (I give A. Brown and T. Gerhart and receive Vereen and Crabtree). Definitely a lot of risk to both Vereen and Crabtree compared to the relatively safety of A. Brown as a PPR commodity. I'm not really sold on Gerhart outside of the fact that he'll be a workhorse, but I have other RB2 options that could materialize as the season progresses (Pierce for week 1 & 2 and L. Miller and B. Sankey, who could become more valuable later on).

That said, I think Vereen is in for a huge year, especially in a PPR. I've dealt with both players in fantasy too and Ridley is one or two more lost fumbles away from possibly never playing for the Patriots again. Clearly Belichick is impossible to predict but I am pretty confident Vereen is going to easily receive the most touches out of all those guys. I think he might catch 85 passes and rush for 500-600 yards. It's a gamble though, particularly with his injury history. I would have loved to have been able to draft him, but I am going to stop short of trading away a guy like Brown for him.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I appreciate all the feedback on Vereen, fellas. The trade talks I had involving him were only preliminary and I have decided not to pursue the trade I had discussed (I give A. Brown and T. Gerhart and receive Vereen and Crabtree). Definitely a lot of risk to both Vereen and Crabtree compared to the relatively safety of A. Brown as a PPR commodity. I'm not really sold on Gerhart outside of the fact that he'll be a workhorse, but I have other RB2 options that could materialize as the season progresses (Pierce for week 1 & 2 and L. Miller and B. Sankey, who could become more valuable later on).

That said, I think Vereen is in for a huge year, especially in a PPR. I've dealt with both players in fantasy too and Ridley is one or two more lost fumbles away from possibly never playing for the Patriots again. Clearly Belichick is impossible to predict but I am pretty confident Vereen is going to easily receive the most touches out of all those guys. I think he might catch 85 passes and rush for 500-600 yards. It's a gamble though, particularly with his injury history. I would have loved to have been able to draft him, but I am going to stop short of trading away a guy like Brown for him.
A surprise ppr guy you might want to watch is McCluster who I bet Whisenhut uses alot like he did Woodhead last year, he won't be a good play every week but I'd start him against us and other teams with suspect linebackers

Cotton

Staff member

See what I mean?

Top Bottom