Watkins: With four games left, let’s examine the state of the Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
With four games left, let’s examine the state of the Cowboys
By Calvin Watkins 2h ago

The​ Cowboys​ had better be​ ready; the defending-champion Eagles come​ to Arlington on Sunday to face a Cowboys team now​​ in sole possession of first place in the NFC East. Dallas will be ten days removed from last Thusday’s win against New Orleans while Philadelphia will be on a short week, having beaten Washington Monday night.

Jerry Jones was pretty direct on 105.3, The Fan when asked what he thinks about this game: “We beat them, then I feel like our destiny is a lot more in our hands.”

Yes, the Cowboys can move two games ahead of the Eagles with three to play, virtually finishing the champs and gaining some distance from Washington, now on their third quarterback — and the eight-loss New York Giants, whose aging quarterback is among their litany of issues.

It seems the Cowboys are getting healthy at the right time. We take a look at their biggest issues for the final four games of the regular season.

Health

The two biggest injuries to the Cowboys involved left tackle Tyron Smith and weakside linebacker Sean Lee. Smith is expected to return for the Eagles game after missing the previous two games with stinger and elbow injuries. Dallas has utilized Cameron Fleming at left tackle during Smith’s absence and he’s graded well. The other major reinforcement is Lee, who missed the previous four games with a hamstring injury. Jones said Lee will return to the starting lineup when healthy, playing over rookie sensation Leighton Vander Esch. The rookie linebacker from Boise State has played outstanding football alongside Jaylon Smith in Lee’s absence. Vander Esch’s play fuels the narrative that Lee is playing his final games with the Cowboys. If this is the case, the Cowboys front office should be credited with finding his replacement.

Slot receiver Cole Beasley’s health is worth noting. He suffered a sprained foot in the victory over the Saints last Thursday and his status is uncertain for the Eagles game. If Beasley can’t play, the emerging Noah Brown, Allen Hurns and Amari Cooper will get snaps in the slot. Xavier Su’a-Filo took the starting job at left guard from Connor Williams when he underwent knee surgery. Su’a-Filo has played well in Williams’ absence with the exception of last week. Jason Garrett said Su’a-Filo didn’t grade out well, and that was due to a sprained ankle that limited his lateral movement and his ability to push off. Williams is healthy enough to play but the Cowboys haven’t decided if he’s ready to take the starting job back. Defensive tackle David Irving hasn’t played since Oct. 21 at Washington, nursing a high-ankle sprain. Jones indicated that’s the reason Irving hasn’t been seen at The Star in the last week. Irving is expected to return to the facility for practices leading up to the Eagles game.

Amari Cooper effect

From the moment Cooper took the practice field, Dak Prescott got excited. The Cowboys quarterback raves about the routes Cooper can perform and just how special he is. The numbers support Prescott. In the first seven games of the season, Prescott threw eight touchdown passes and four interceptions, averaging just 202.4 yards per game while completing 62.1 percent of his passes. In five games with Cooper, Prescott has six touchdowns and one interception, completing 72 percent of his passes for a 251.6-yard average. Prescott trusts Cooper regardless of the coverage, and his play has also opened the door for rookie receiver Michael Gallup. Dallas wants to throw deep passes, mainly go routes on double moves, to Gallup. In the Saints game, Gallup was wide-open down the sidelines for an easy touchdown after beating a defender on a stutter-step, but Prescott overthrew him. As Prescott has improved, so has Cooper. He was bored in Oakland, frustrated by the losing and constant fluctuations of the roster. In five games with the Cowboys, Cooper has a catch rate of 75 percent with three touchdowns. He’s averaging six catches per game on eight targets. This is an excellent rate for a wide receiver and it might improve as the Cowboys move along.

Defense, defense, defense

The Cowboys played their best defensive game of the year against the Saints. All four cornerbacks were credited with pass breakups, the team generated consistent pressure on Brees and forced a late turnover to seal the game. When you witness a game like this, it’s easy to figure out why the defense is so giddy these days. At the forefront of the defense is defensive end Demarcus Lawrence. In the last four weeks, Lawrence has eight quarterback hits and 2.5 sacks. He has 9.5 sacks on the season and with four games remaining, it’s a given he’ll reach double digits. As good as Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith have been, Tyrone Crawford has put in yeoman’s work as a defensive tackle and defensive end. Crawford’s strong play has made some forget about the loss of Irving. Cornerback Byron Jones has also played very well all season. Playing safety for two seasons helped his coverage skills, and his intelligence is also a key factor. There was a stretch during the year where offenses wouldn’t target him. Quarterbacks are throwing his way now, but mostly emerging frustrated.

Zeke for MVP?

Has Ezekiel Elliott made himself a candidate for NFL MVP? Patrick Mahomes, Drew Brees, Jared Goff, and Andrew Luck are widely considered to be the current candidates. What about Elliott? He’s first in carries (240), second in rushing yards (1,150), yards from scrimmage (1,573) and yards per game (95.8). With Todd Gurley nursing a knee injury, Elliott could surpass him for the rushing title and quite possibly in yards from scrimmage. The Cowboys continue to run against eight-man fronts and Elliott produces. And while Zeke rushed for just 76 yards with his second-lowest per-carry average of the season at 3.30 against the Saints, Garrett made note of how difficult the yards were. Elliott carried the ball 23 times, showing the NFL’s No. 1 run defense that the Cowboys were not afraid of their eight-man fronts — and that a commitment to the running game is very high on their list. Elliott is proving that the Cowboys are going to be a physically-demanding team when he carries the ball, and they will continue to lean on him heavily down the stretch.

The schedule

The Cowboys’ four remaining opponents have a combined record of 21-27. While unlikely, it’s not impossible that the Cowboys could win out, not only taking the NFC East but possibly moving from a No. 4 seed in the playoff bracket to a No. 3. If anything, the Cowboys are guaranteed a home playoff game, which benefits them, considering their troubles on the road (2-4 after losing their first four road games). Dallas has won its last four games overall and is building momentum for the Eagles game. A victory doesn’t secure the division title, but puts them in a positive direction heading into a road game at the Colts. If any game worries you, it’s got to be the road game at Indianapolis against Andrew Luck. The season isn’t over; it’s just getting good.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
With four games left, let’s examine the state of the Cowboys
By Calvin Watkins 2h ago
Health

The two biggest injuries to the Cowboys involved left tackle Tyron Smith and weakside linebacker Sean Lee. Smith is expected to return for the Eagles game after missing the previous two games with stinger and elbow injuries. Dallas has utilized Cameron Fleming at left tackle during Smith’s absence and he’s graded well. The other major reinforcement is Lee, who missed the previous four games with a hamstring injury. Jones said Lee will return to the starting lineup when healthy, playing over rookie sensation Leighton Vander Esch. The rookie linebacker from Boise State has played outstanding football alongside Jaylon Smith in Lee’s absence. Vander Esch’s play fuels the narrative that Lee is playing his final games with the Cowboys. If this is the case, the Cowboys front office should be credited with finding his replacement.
This is pure bullshit. No problem starting Prescott over Romo, I’m sorry, the same should be applied here. I love Lee, but you can’t rely on him, he is clearly done, why stunt the growth of LVE? I’ll concede if i’m missing something here, but I doubt it,

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is pure bullshit. No problem starting Prescott over Romo, I’m sorry, the same should be applied here. I love Lee, but you can’t rely on him, he is clearly done, why stunt the growth of LVE? I’ll concede if i’m missing something here, but I doubt it,
You can’t compare what’s being compared. LB and QB are two vastly different positions.

LVE is clearly part of why Dallas’s defense has been elite. There is nothing missing from his game.

Prescott as a rookie was a caretaker driving a Ferrari while Romo was an experienced and elite driver. In no possible way could Prescott outperform a healthy Romo except to run the football.

LBs rely on strength and speed as much as instincts, and even while healthy this year Lee was.clearly a step behind where LVE is now. We never had that comparison in 2016 as Romo never played before Prescott took over. Romo did run the scout team though and you could see he was very sharp on his one drive at Philly.

Romo was benched as more of a power struggle with his coaches who had a willing puppet in Prescott but would have had to cede control of the offense back to Romo.

The coaches thought they were better than they were.

There’s no such decision between LVE and Lee. A good coaching staff would play both. If anything, Smith and Wilson should ride pine instead.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
You can’t compare what’s being compared. LB and QB are two vastly different positions.

LVE is clearly part of why Dallas’s defense has been elite. There is nothing missing from his game.

Prescott as a rookie was a caretaker driving a Ferrari while Romo was an experienced and elite driver. In no possible way could Prescott outperform a healthy Romo except to run the football.

LBs rely on strength and speed as much as instincts, and even while healthy this year Lee was.clearly a step behind where LVE is now. We never had that comparison in 2016 as Romo never played before Prescott took over. Romo did run the scout team though and you could see he was very sharp on his one drive at Philly.

Romo was benched as more of a power struggle with his coaches who had a willing puppet in Prescott but would have had to cede control of the offense back to Romo.

There’s no such decision between LVE and Lee. A good coaching staff would play both. If anything, Smith and Wilson should ride pine instead.

The caretaker went 13 - 3 with a 104.9 QB rating, which is higher than all but one of Romo's QB ratings. Just saying ...

GShock

DCC 4Life

:ez

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The caretaker went 13 - 3 with a 104.9 QB rating, which is higher than all but one of Romo's QB ratings. Just saying ...
Then answer one of the big mysteries of the century about Daks rookie year. Where did this side of his talent go and why can’t he get it back? Is is possible that it wasn’t based on his talent but on a very special choreographed program to prop up the lack of experience of a rookie while he transitioned to the system? Is is possible that Dak had a crash in talent and skills overnight or was there really ever a display of talent on display his rookie year? How can that much presumed talent evaporate virtually overnight? Better still why can’t it be displayed again?

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He was almost never pressured and had ample time to work through progressions. It was ridiculous, and his poor performances since he lost that perfect supporting cast flat out proved it.

Bottom line Romo was far and away the better player and best prepared to lead Dallas on a playoff run.

LVE meanwhile outplayed Sean Lee in games played this year. Smith is playing well enough but he’s riding LVE’s coattails IMO. If I’m coaching I don’t care about position, I can’t see how Wilson starts over any of the other three if they are healthy.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Then answer one of the big mysteries of the century about Daks rookie year. Where did this side of his talent go and why can’t he get it back? Is is possible that it wasn’t based on his talent but on a very special choreographed program to prop up the lack of experience of a rookie while he transitioned to the system? Is is possible that Dak had a crash in talent and skills overnight or was there really ever a display of talent on display his rookie year? How can that much presumed talent evaporate virtually overnight? Better still why can’t it be displayed again?
The context of the post was Dak's rookie year -- "Prescott as a rookie was a caretaker driving a Ferrari while Romo was an experienced and elite driver. In no possible way could Prescott outperform a healthy Romo except to run the football."

My point was that the caretaker did in fact outperform Romo -- in that rookie year. What's happened since then is another topic. Still, if Prescott wins two division titles in three years, that puts him on a pace to equal anything Romo did.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The context of the post was Dak's rookie year -- "Prescott as a rookie was a caretaker driving a Ferrari while Romo was an experienced and elite driver. In no possible way could Prescott outperform a healthy Romo except to run the football."

My point was that the caretaker did in fact outperform Romo -- in that rookie year. What's happened since then is another topic. Still, if Prescott wins two division titles in three years, that puts him on a pace to equal anything Romo did.
And I was pointing out that the rookie year was an anomolie and to use it as a comparison is not really a legitimate set of stats to use for this purpose. It like using a one time effort to represent an entire performance. As we sometimes say it is an asterisk record.

Last edited:

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I should have been more clear in my post. When I said, “no problem starting Prescott over Romo”, I meant the team had no problem doing so. I had a huge problem with it. There is absolutely no point in rehashing all of that though, can’t do a damn thing about it.

But it in regards to Lee vs. LVE, it’s even worse than Prescott over Romo in my opinion. The story on Lee has always been that he might be the best LB in the league, just can’t stay healthy. This season though, he hasn’t been anywhere near as effective in years past. Weve all seen the with and without Lee stats, but that hasn’t been the case at all this season. This defense has been better without him. With a rookie stud who looks like a potential DPOTY year candidate in the future. Starting Lee over him is a huge mistake. I didn’t agree with Prescott over Romo, but I did agree with the message. Results. And LVE has spearheaded a defense that might just be the best in he NFL. Sitting him, stunting his development over a guy who will probably just strain his other hamstring in a week or two isn’t just retarded, it runs contrary to what they’ve done before, at a less valuable position.

lostxn

DCC 4Life

That is some revisionist bullshit. Dak won 9 straight games when Romo was finally health (and went on to win 11 straight). You don't change QBs in that situation.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That is some revisionist bullshit. Dak won 9 straight games when Romo was finally health (and went on to win 11 straight). If you have no balls and are slaves to fan opinions and social media, you don't change QBs in that situation.
Fixed.

Utterly asinine to stay with a rookie in favor of the franchise’s all-time passer when he’s healthy. The fact the Cowboys coaches couldn’t grasp that very simple concept is why they haven’t won a single playoff game with Dak in spite of fielding at times overwhelming talent.

Dumb coaches, dumb organization, and gutless.

They refused to play Romo even at the end of blowouts because they didn’t want to spark a QB controversy. Only under pressure did they play him in Philly, and of course, he dominated the one drive they put him on.

Dak is a caretaker who throws only to wide open targets and whose only real talent is in running the ball and staying healthy. If that’s your bar for “elite”, then you’re stupid.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Fixed.

Utterly asinine to stay with a rookie in favor of the franchise’s all-time passer when he’s healthy. The fact the Cowboys coaches couldn’t grasp that very simple concept is why they haven’t won a single playoff game with Dak in spite of fielding at times overwhelming talent.

Dumb coaches, dumb organization, and gutless.

They refused to play Romo even at the end of blowouts because they didn’t want to spark a QB controversy. Only under pressure did they play him in Philly, and of course, he dominated the one drive they put him on.

Dak is a caretaker who throws only to wide open targets and whose only real talent is in running the ball and staying healthy. If that’s your bar for “elite”, then you’re stupid.
Getting mad and pissy doesn't make you right. Makes you look weak. You seem to forget it was a hobbled, broken Romo vs a young, rookie of the year, Pro Bowl Dak. The choice was pretty obvious. Few here wanted to go back to Romo at that point. Few in the media. The Jones, the coaches obviously made their decision.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
That is some revisionist bullshit. Dak won 9 straight games when Romo was finally health (and went on to win 11 straight). You don't change QBs in that situation.
Lot of revisionist history going on when it comes to Romo. People may be forgetting that his nickname, "Choko," was well deserved.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He also holds virtually all the passing records of the Cowboys organization. Choke was a few events. Records are forever until exceeded by someone else.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He also holds virtually all the passing records of the Cowboys organization. Choke was a few events. Records are forever until exceeded by someone else.
End of day, passing records don't equate to winning football. The postseason records don't exist, and every Cowboy great has superior playoff stats. Craig Morton, Roger Staubach, Danny White. and Troy Aikman ALL hold superior significant QB performance in the postseason.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Who cares about Cowboy passing records? What do they buy you? Championships? Playoff wins? Obviously not.

He played a lot of years for a pass-happy OC then a pass-happy HC, at a time when the league was transitioning to a passing league. Half the time when the pass-happy HC had a running play called Romo would audible out to a pass play. Staubach and Aikman played in different eras. Romo gets the passing records by default.

Romo was a talented QB, a good-not-great QB who was exciting to watch, who had an unfortunate habit of clutching at key moments in big games.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
End of day, passing records don't equate to winning football. The postseason records don't exist, and every Cowboy great has superior playoff stats. Craig Morton, Roger Staubach, Danny White. and Troy Aikman ALL hold superior significant QB performance in the postseason.
I wonder if the Lions sit there and feel all warm and fuzzy because Matthew Stafford holds all their passing records. At the end of the day it's about winning Superbowls and making the playoffs. Not about 4000 yard passing seasons.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
As to one of the original discussion points of the thread, I have no idea why the brain-dead trust of the Cowboys would start Lee and sit LVE. I thought the NFL was supposed to be the ultimate example of Darwinism -- the young, strong and swift rise to the top, the old and lame go by the wayside.

On Jerry's teams there seems to a "coach's son" syndrome. Jerry's favorites play, regardless.

LVE is playing lights out. No way he should sit.

Top Bottom