Watkins: ‘No one believed in us’: Cowboys pull off shocking 13-10 upset over Saints

DLK150

DCC 4Life
It wasn’t the offense that dominated it was the defense that kept the Saints off the field. The offense dominated time of possession in the first half but they went stale in the second half. It was night and day.
Yeah, the second half offense was mediocre at best. It's a good thing the defense kept things going because this one was going right down to the wire. NO made good defensive adjustments at the half though but the offense kept running almost the exact same plays.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It wasn’t the offense that dominated it was the defense that kept the Saints off the field. The offense dominated time of possession in the first half but they went stale in the second half. It was night and day.
We had one 3 and out in the second half and it was caused by a holding penalty. A total of 4 possessions. One of which was to end the game. We had one super long drive that was the one that ended in a fumble.

The offense didn't exactly have a ton of opportunities in the second half. And certainly they should have had an easy 6 points in the second half. One of which we lost because of the fumble. The other we lost because we were kind and ran the clock out instead.

Last edited:

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I agree. Mostly when you get down inside the 10 yard line you have to score. Had he not missed Gallup or had he scored a TD later on that drive and we won 20-10 this probably wouldn't even be a discussion. He needs to make those plays. Or at least hold on to the ball and make it a 10-16 game where the Saints actually have to go the length of the field and punch it in for a TD. The second half our offense really shot themselves in a foot multiple times with penalties. You can't kill drives before they start with holds and sacks. We also really struggled on the ground. Zeke average what like 3 yards per carry? And it wasn't Zeke's fault.

Still I like the rhythm Dak has with the receivers yesterday. He was on point most of the game with guys like Gallup and Cooper. They got open consistently and Dak made the vast majority of those throws.
For me, this is where Garrett is a failure as a coach. He was a QB himself, so he shouldn’t be looking the other way with 3/4 of the season behind him and Dak still making mistakes. There should have been a change made once it was clear that Dak and his QB coach were not correcting their mistakes.

Instead it’s a nail biter almost every week when the offense gets around the red zone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me, this is where Garrett is a failure as a coach. He was a QB himself, so he shouldn’t be looking the other way with 3/4 of the season behind him and Dak still making mistakes. There should have been a change made once it was clear that Dak and his QB coach were not correcting their mistakes.

Instead it’s a nail biter almost every week when the offense gets around the red zone.
I just don't understand why we don't use Daks mobility in the redzone. Play action, misdirection, option plays. Instead we run the most basic redzone offense. Just no creativity there and it's where you need creativity most.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There’s no point in fretting about Dak. He’s what we’ve got and that’s that.

The defense gives us a fighting chance vs any playoff team (Or I should say any other playoff team. :) ) and we have arguably the league’s best RB.

Cooper is a clear #1 WR, I don’t think anyone doubts that now.

We’ll either win or we won’t, and then the analysis can continue in earnest.

Dak might not be great, but neither is Nick Foles or Trent Dilfer.

Sit back and enjoy watching our puncher’s chance.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There’s no point in fretting about Dak. He’s what we’ve got and that’s that.

The defense gives us a fighting chance vs any playoff team (Or I should say any other playoff team. :) ) and we have arguably the league’s best RB.

Cooper is a clear #1 WR, I don’t think anyone doubts that now.

We’ll either win or we won’t, and then the analysis can continue in earnest.

Dak might not be great, but neither is Nick Foles or Trent Dilfer.

Sit back and enjoy watching our puncher’s chance.
This is absolutely true.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I just don't understand why we don't use Daks mobility in the redzone. Play action, misdirection, option plays. Instead we run the most basic redzone offense. Just no creativity there and it's where you need creativity most.
This is the most infuriating thing for me. His limitations are clear. However, where he does excel is on the ground. That late run he had to pick up the first was mesmerizing. Come playoff time, the staff needs to be installing a run heavy plan with him, since they’ve voiced the injury concern before with the QB running too frequently. It’s our only chance to make it to a conference title game. The defense will do its part, Zeke/Dak RPO’s with a heavy dose of PA to Cooper, and there could be some noise to be made.

This, however, fits the definition of wishful thinking.

shane

DCC 4Life
Ive never really been a big fan of linebackers. Always loved the flashy sack stats of DEs and inside pressure of the DTs. Smith amd LVE are really changing that for me. Those two are really fun to watch and just amazed at how much field they can cover. What are missed tackles?!?!
We could conceivably have the next Urlacher and Ray Lewis back there right now. And that's only slight hyperbole.

shane

DCC 4Life
The weakest part of the team at this time is the Quarterback position. Yeah I know you know. Dak plays the best he can and leaves it all on the field but he has some habits that have become a detriment to the team. If these things aren’t corrected he will cost the team badly because this is the time of the year that game intensity gets larger every week until it’s all over.

He can’t play the way he is now and allow the team to win. Problem is I don’t see a solution.
In my opinion, his deficiencies could easily be corrected with some good coaching. So yeah he's pretty much fucked.

He has the ability to make the throws, and could be taught to get the ball out faster. If we waste his potential, it will be a real shame.

We don’t need to get too excited. This happens every year. They have a little mini run in the seasons and everyone thinks they have arrived then they lose two or three in a row and maybe win the last one to get in the playoffs or not then one and done in the playoffs. And back to square one again... blah blah blah...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We don’t need to get too excited. This happens every year. They have a little mini run in the seasons and everyone thinks they have arrived then they lose two or three in a row and maybe win the last one to get in the playoffs or not then one and done in the playoffs. And back to square one again... blah blah blah...
We don't win 4 straight every year.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
I was gonna say...these are also hard fought wins. When we have those streaks it’s via blowout. These guys didn’t fold which were not used to seeing. I don’t think they’ll go far in the playoffs but they have a different look and feel right now

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That could be applied to a lot of teams in the NFL. The whole idea to continue playing is to see if you can break that mold. It can happen because the same nay sayers only less than two weeks age buried the team when the Saints came to town. You just have to allow that anything can happen so it’s worth another try to look forward rather than looking at your toes.

The game is won or lost on the field not from analysis.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Cowboys have revived their history of beating teams they shouldn’t. Indy in 2006 and New Orleans in 2009.

Each was a matchup victory where we played motivated and intense for 60 minutes.

It wasn’t sustainable, though we made the playoffs in each year. Also the OL was a huge weakness by the time the playoffs started in each year.

This year is shaping up to be another puncher’s chance. I’ll be happy if we just don’t go 1 and done. I also don’t want to play the Rams, but it’s almost like it’s destined.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Cowboys have revived their history of beating teams they shouldn’t. Indy in 2006 and New Orleans in 2009.

Each was a matchup victory where we played motivated and intense for 60 minutes.

It wasn’t sustainable, though we made the playoffs in each year. Also the OL was a huge weakness by the time the playoffs started in each year.

This year is shaping up to be another puncher’s chance. I’ll be happy if we just don’t go 1 and done. I also don’t want to play the Rams, but it’s almost like it’s destined.
But youre not afraid of those Rams, and mainly because vs. New Orleans showed how to prevail against an elite team while not playing a perfect offensive game. If this defense can sustain anything close to what we just saw, we will be 'in' any game we play vs any team.

Weve played NO (win) this year, the Rams (I recall we were in command the first half and faltered the second) and KC last year (win, granted vs Alex Smith). Then we whooped Jags ass earlier this year. This team can win, even despite some of their limitation.

But youre not afraid of those Rams, and mainly because vs. New Orleans showed how to prevail against an elite team while not playing a perfect offensive game. If this defense can sustain anything close to what we just saw, we will be 'in' any game we play vs any team.

Weve played NO (win) this year, the Rams (I recall we were in command the first half and faltered the second) and KC last year (win, granted vs Alex Smith). Then we whooped Jags ass earlier this year. This team can win, even despite some of their limitation.
Yes and no. We match up well against New Orleans for some strange reason, At least since Payton has been coach there. I think this team plays differently against the Rams.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We match up well against New Orleans for some strange reason. I think this team plays differently against the Rams.
I have this exact same take. I think NO relies on Brees to run more than LA relies on Goff. When we consistently pressured Brees I feel we disrupted the Saints entire offense much more than similar pressure on Goff would result in. Then there’s LVE tracking Kamara like a heat-seeker, which resulted in a near complete stifling of the Saints.

I think Gurley is more of a unique playmaker and Goff more used to biding his time and taking what the defense gives him than Brees. The last point is the Rams matchup should it happen would be on natural grass, which takes some of Dallas’ defensive speed edge away.

Top Bottom