Watkins: ‘No one believed in us’: Cowboys pull off shocking 13-10 upset over Saints

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
‘No one believed in us’: Cowboys pull off shocking 13-10 upset over Saints
By Calvin Watkins 6h ago

Jerry​ Jones​ stood outside the​ Cowboys locker room, ready to​ talk.

The Cowboys owner and general manager’s voice was hoarse,​​ as if he was among the 93,004 screaming fans who filled AT&T Stadium Thursday night. Jones’ team had won a big one. It was one of those victories that silence critics and emboldens supporters for quite a while.

Dallas knocked off New Orleans 13-10, snapping the Saints’ 10-game winning streak. The Cowboys’ win streak has reached four games and pushed them into sole possession of first place in the NFC East. And considering the remaining four games on the schedule, the Cowboys believe they can move up the playoff standings. This was not lost on Jones, who understood the magnitude of the victory.

“This is one for the fans, this bunch, this team won’t be the same again, I’m serious,” he said as his voice strained to get through the tape recorders and boom mics surrounding him. “You win something like this, against a team that well-coached, those kinds of players, a caliber of team like that, and you know you’ve done it. You change. This is a changer in here; they’re different cats now as they go forward.”

The Cowboys are no longer just trying to reach the postseason. Jones sees that. He believes in a defense that held the NFL’s No. 1 scoring offense (37.2 points per game) scoreless in the first half. It also held the NFL’s fifth-best offense by yardage (416.6 yards per game) to just 176. Drew Brees threw for a season-low 127 yards, the 12th fewest passing yards of his career. Dallas’ defense swamped Brees with pressure and asked its linebackers, Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch, to make plays on running backs Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram in the passing game. Each of the Cowboys’ four primary cornerbacks all had at least one pass breakup.

The Cowboys’ defense won this game; one that was sealed when No. 4 cornerback Jourdan Lewis picked off a Brees pass with 2:08 to play in the game.

Dallas has won three games in 11 days. They have turned around a 3-5 mark and now stand at 7-5.

“No one believed in us,” running back Ezekiel Elliott said. “I think all four of the panelists up there on the NFL Network said we were going to lose. The whole nation thought we were going to lose and we came out and we shocked the world. The crazy thing about it is we could have played so much better. So, I mean, we’ve just got to enjoy this victory, we’ve got to celebrate it but we’ve got to get back to work because we’ve still got a lot of football left and we still have a lot of getting better to do.”

Here are our observations from this Cowboys-Saints battle.

The defense was absolutely outstanding

Very few defensive players said this was the best defensive game of the season, but Dallas did slow Brees down, with constant pressure and a solid Cover-3 scheme. The Cowboys knew Brees likes to get rid of the ball quickly, so it was up to the front four to force hurried throws. Brees just wasn’t himself, from the first two throws of the game where the Cowboys had pass breakups to even late in the game when defensive tackle Maliek Collins pressured him into throwing an interception.
“We were man-to-man, we’re going to play our zone as well and match up,” cornerback Anthony Brown said. “We can match up with anyone and we’re going to run our defense no matter what. We’re going to get the call and everyone knows what we’re going to do: Cover-3 base defense, man-to-man, everyone knows that. As long as we do our job we can’t be stopped.”

Dallas had to contain Kamara, who routinely makes plays in the passing and running game, and wide receiver Michael Thomas, who’s been one of the NFL’s best receivers since his 2016 rookie season. But Brees couldn’t get Kamara going because the linebackers keyed in on him. Thomas was smothered by Byron Jones and Chidobe Awuzie for a majority of the game. Brees himself just couldn’t find any clear passing lanes.

“Every holding call they threw was on Mike,” Brees said of the defensive penalties. “They were holding every chance they got. They have some good DBS on that side of the ball and they played a good game.”

The defense probably set the tone in the second quarter with a strong goal-line stand. Saints coach Sean Payton elected to call for a run play with Kamara on a fourth-and-1 from the Cowboys’s 1-yard line. The Saints offense had consecutive three-and-outs in the first quarter, but discovered some positive plays in the middle stages of the second quarter. Payton’s thought process was probably that he would get more opportunities in the red zone to score, so if he missed out here, it wasn’t a big deal. But Kamara was stopped for no gain on tackles by DeMarcus Lawrence and Tyrone Crawford with 10:04 left.

When Payton was asked what went into the fourth-down play he said, “Went for it.”

The final defensive stand occurred thanks to Lewis, who made a diving catch on a sidearmed Brees throw late in the fourth quarter. Brees said he was trying to throw the pass away but Lewis keep the play alive with the interception.

“I melted in on the quarterback’s eyes,” Lewis said. “Saw it was great pressure from the d-line on that play and just saw him throw it and reacted.”

Where did the offense go after halftime?

Not to be a party pooper, but the Cowboys offense should have done more. The Cowboys failed to score in the second half. Against the Saints. And won. That tells you how special the defense was, but also how poorly the offense performed in the second half. Dallas led 13-0 at halftime after producing 229 yards, and took control of time-of-possession 21:49 to 8:11. But the offense produced just 18 total yards on eight plays in the third quarter as the Saints rallied to make a game of it with a field goal and a touchdown pass. In the fourth quarter, Prescott overthrew a wide-open Michael Gallup, who beat Saints corner Eli Apple and could have scored an easy touchdown. Prescott then fumbled with 2:35 left in the game as the Cowboys were trying to close it out.

“This is a 60-minute game,” wide receiver Amari Cooper said. “We knew New Orleans would kinda turn this around because they’re a good team. We just have to get through that.”

Prescott was sacked a season-high seven times. A few of those were due to his inability to get rid of the ball or run out of the pocket.

There were some positives; mainly Ezekiel Elliott adding to his league-leading rushing totals with 76 total yards. Elliott now has 1,150 yards on the season. Not only is Zeke leading the NFL in rushing, he’s also charged to the front in all-purpose yards. Elliott finished with 136 total yards and surpassed the Rams’ Todd Gurley for the league lead. Elliott has 1,573 total yards compared to Gurley’s 1,484. Elliott’s yards were hard-earned; he touched the ball 29 times, catching six catches in addition to his 23 carries.

“It was a very physical game,” Elliott said. “The Saints, they are a very tough, tough defense. They have a great front, they don’t make a lot of mistakes. A lot of my former teammates (at Ohio State) play on that team. I think we did a great job of just coming out, executing, chipping away and just doing enough to get the win.”

DeMarcus Lawrence laid down the challenge — and the Cowboys responded

As he began his conversation with reporters Thursday night, Cowboys defensive end Demarcus Lawrence said his comments from earlier in the week were taken out of context. Lawrence said if you get ahead of the Saints, you need to choke the life out of them. He also said not to about how good the Cowboys’ defensive line is, when asked about the Saints offensive line. Lawrence backed up his boasts with four tacks, a sack, a forced fumble, and a quarterback hit.

“It’s football. If you capitalize on a team early, you got to step on they throats, like I said and don’t let them back up — which we did today,” Lawrence said. “And we held them to 10 points so I’m excited for all my guys and I’m glad we had this battle to see what a real championship team looks like and got to move forward and go on to the next one.”

More on the linebackers

We can’t say enough about what Vander Esch and Smith can do. They have made Sean Lee’s upcoming return from a hamstring injury an afterthought. Lee will return at some point, probably for next week’s game against the Eagles, but he will play in some sort of rotation. As of now, Vander Esch and Smith, who combined for 19 total tackles, are the starters in the base defense. Smith laid down one of the hardest hits of the game — leading with his helmet when he popped Kamara in the fourth quarter. Brees thought the hit was questionable and Smith thought it was part of football. Brees threw to the dynamic second-year player 11 times, resulting in eight completions for only 36 yards.

“We didn’t give him a chance to get in his rhythm,” Smith said. “All great quarterbacks are all about rhythm. He knows what he’s doing. He’s been playing for a long time and we kept coming.”

Closing notes

The Cowboys inducted former executive Gil Brandt into the Ring of Honor at halftime. Brandt became the 22nd man inducted. The former evaluator is also up for the Pro Football Hall of Fame through the Seniors Committee. Whether it gets elected into that we won’t know until February.

Randy Gregory made two bad plays — a roughing penalty when he ran into the New Orleans punter, and a flag for being offside. Both extended third-quarter drive. “Two bad plays,” Jason Garrett said. “Obviously running into the kicker was huge and gave them another bite of the apple, another possession, after we made a stop. And then we make a huge play, a sack-fumble, and I guess they said he lined up offsides.”

Dak Prescott had a cut on his left (non-throwing) hand and some blood was visible on one of his legs after the game. It was a physical contest, but he tried to downplay it. “Week in and week out, it is physical,” he said. “Obviously. But playing a good team like that, a 13-10 game, it was very physical.”

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Ive never really been a big fan of linebackers. Always loved the flashy sack stats of DEs and inside pressure of the DTs. Smith amd LVE are really changing that for me. Those two are really fun to watch and just amazed at how much field they can cover. What are missed tackles?!?!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just hope this Oline can get healthy. Both guards barely practiced this week because of injury. We are playing with a backup center and backup LT. And Collins well he has no excuse, if you're going to hold badly, you can't also give up the strip sack and be beat badly. But seriously the best part of th extra days off is this Oline could maybe get a little healthy. They have been great lately. Last night was not.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You can’t expect your OL to stay healthy forever in this league. Dallas expended its quota of near perfect OL health from 2014 to 2016 and karma is a bitch.

Good coaches roll with the punches and keep it moving.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The weakest part of the team at this time is the Quarterback position. Yeah I know you know. Dak plays the best he can and leaves it all on the field but he has some habits that have become a detriment to the team. If these things aren’t corrected he will cost the team badly because this is the time of the year that game intensity gets larger every week until it’s all over.

He can’t play the way he is now and allow the team to win. Problem is I don’t see a solution.

p1_

DCC 4Life
You can’t expect your OL to stay healthy forever in this league. Dallas expended its quota of near perfect OL health from 2014 to 2016 and karma is a bitch.

Good coaches roll with the punches and keep it moving.
its been like that this year. From Frederick to Tyron to Smith to Martin. Thats partly why Dak is leading the league with 45 sacks.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The weakest part of the team at this time is the Quarterback position. Yeah I know you know. Dak plays the best he can and leaves it all on the field but he has some habits that have become a detriment to the team. If these things aren’t corrected he will cost the team badly because this is the time of the year that game intensity gets larger every week until it’s all over. He can’t play the way he is now and allow the team to win. Problem is I don’t see a solution.
LT, all the things you see Dak doing are not new for him. It was all chronicled leading up to the draft. Jerry, Garrett and Linehan have not provided him with proper coaching and development or Dak can't improve his mechanics and isn't capable of learning about pocket awareness. Im betting on coaching being the culprit. The solution is to have hired someone other than Kellen Moore.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As
LT, all the things you see Dak doing are not new for him. It was all chronicled leading up to the draft. Jerry, Garrett and Linehan have not provided him with proper coaching and development or Dak can't improve his mechanics and isn't capable of learning about pocket awareness. Im betting on coaching being the culprit. The solution is to have hired someone other than Kellen Moore.
You are absolutely correct but the problem now is that his rookie year skewed all that and his perception goes to the heights of Tom Brady. So to speak. Now that he has been screwed into the Dallas Offense, he is having severe problems adjusting and some are wanting to lay his decline on bad coaching etc. which may be the case but the root element is that he always has certain problems and he isn’t getting any better. They will either be corrected soon or they will make the team fold again at crunch time.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Ive never really been a big fan of linebackers. Always loved the flashy sack stats of DEs and inside pressure of the DTs. Smith amd LVE are really changing that for me. Those two are really fun to watch and just amazed at how much field they can cover. What are missed tackles?!?!
They really are almost just like Urlacher and Briggs for Rod in Chicago.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The weakest part of the team at this time is the Quarterback position. Yeah I know you know. Dak plays the best he can and leaves it all on the field but he has some habits that have become a detriment to the team. If these things aren’t corrected he will cost the team badly because this is the time of the year that game intensity gets larger every week until it’s all over.

He can’t play the way he is now and allow the team to win. Problem is I don’t see a solution.
And yet we are winning. His passing has improved immensely over the last few weeks. Everyone always looks at the one or two throws he missed but the guy had a number of excellent throws last night. Completed like 17 straight passes for gods sake. He can't fumble though. I don't care how badly the offensive line plays, he just can't give up those fumbles.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They really are almost just like Urlacher and Briggs for Rod in Chicago.
Yeah as a Dallas fan I just got so used to middle round LBers who are undersized getting the job done. So I had sort of devalued the position in my mind. Thought you build a great D-line and your LBers will look great. But these two have me realizing what special LBers can really do for a defense.

vince

Not So New Member
Well with a dimwit like Moore as QB coach, you can't expect A-N-Y-THING.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And yet we are winning. His passing has improved immensely over the last few weeks. Everyone always looks at the one or two throws he missed but the guy had a number of excellent throws last night. Completed like 17 straight passes for gods sake. He can't fumble though. I don't care how badly the offensive line plays, he just can't give up those fumbles.
My point is that from here own out the games get tougher and the mistakes will be fatal. Secondly the fact that the team is winning is the continuing improvement of the defense but there is a point where they can’t overcome the type mistakes the offense committed. The offense went 2 quarters without putting anything on the board. That won’t hold up going forward.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

The second half performance can’t just be ignored.

p1_

DCC 4Life

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well with a dimwit like Moore as QB coach, you can't expect A-N-Y-THING.

No matter the coach, none of them teach bad technique. Even a poor coach will have suggestions that are helpful. As has been pointed out he brought some of his bad habits with him and he is still practicing them. Case in point is his awareness in the pocket. He is oblivious to what is going on around him in the pocket and will remain there until it eventually collapses on him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My point is that from here own out the games get tougher and the mistakes will be fatal. Secondly the fact that the team is winning is the continuing improvement of the defense but there is a point where they can’t overcome the type mistakes the offense committed. The offense went 2 quarters without putting anything on the board. That won’t hold up going forward.
I agree. Mostly when you get down inside the 10 yard line you have to score. Had he not missed Gallup or had he scored a TD later on that drive and we won 20-10 this probably wouldn't even be a discussion. He needs to make those plays. Or at least hold on to the ball and make it a 10-16 game where the Saints actually have to go the length of the field and punch it in for a TD. The second half our offense really shot themselves in a foot multiple times with penalties. You can't kill drives before they start with holds and sacks. We also really struggled on the ground. Zeke average what like 3 yards per carry? And it wasn't Zeke's fault.

Still I like the rhythm Dak has with the receivers yesterday. He was on point most of the game with guys like Gallup and Cooper. They got open consistently and Dak made the vast majority of those throws.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No matter the coach, none of them teach bad technique. Even a poor coach will have suggestions that are helpful. As has been pointed out he brought some of his bad habits with him and he is still practicing them. Case in point is his awareness in the pocket. He is oblivious to what is going on around him in the pocket and will remain there until it eventually collapses on him.
You can't correct mistakes with a suggestion. It's something you have to hammer out with reps and practice. Something I don't think we do well with.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That had to be the least amount of possessions the Saints have had in a game all year. You can't just ignore the way the offense dominated time of possession. 36 minutes and 53 seconds compared to 23 minutes is pretty impressive. We had 66 offensive plays compared to their 49. The offense needs to score more but against a team like the Saints keeping their offense off the field was a big deal and we did that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That had to be the least amount of possessions the Saints have had in a game all year. You can't just ignore the way the offense dominated time of possession. 36 minutes and 53 seconds compared to 23 minutes is pretty impressive. We had 66 offensive plays compared to their 49. The offense needs to score more but against a team like the Saints keeping their offense off the field was a big deal and we did that.
It wasn’t the offense that dominated it was the defense that kept the Saints off the field. The offense dominated time of possession in the first half but they went stale in the second half. It was night and day.

Top Bottom