Week 13 Game Day Chatter | Saints @ Cowboys | 11-29-2018

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
He should but you do realize that he wont be, right? He makes the playoffs and he at least gets a one year extension.
Yep, and that's the problem. And it's why I was LMAO watching Shango's post-game video.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We beat the Eagles like we should coming off this ten day break I might start to believe.
Beating a 10-1 Saints team doesn't do it for you?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beating a 10-1 Saints team doesn't do it for you?
It's hard to believe this was once a 3-5 team that we thought had no chance at 8-8 even. It's been an impressive turnaround. Yet I feel like we still have a lot of room for improvement and can get some guys back this year from injury.

Next up Eagles, another must win game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Seriously, if this D keeps getting better we are in a situation that a Trent Dilfer type could get us to a championship.
Well, Dak has to be better. He has to be at least first half Dak where he put up 13 points. He needs to stop taking sacks. He needs to stop fumbling. He needs to be better in the red zone. Seriously, that’s becoming a thing, he’s taking a sack it feels like almost every time we get inside the 10 or 20.

But if you take those sacks and turnovers away his performance last night would have been good enough for 19-27 points, and if the defense keeps this up, that could be good enough to give you a chance against anyone.

1bigfan13

Staff member
After the excitement wore off last night, I came back down to earth.

I definitely felt that way about the D a few weeks ago, but this defense is for real. They have stepped it up over the last month and are the reason for the win streak. The bad news, as there always is for Dallas is that Dak basically sucks.

Yeah Tyron was out, and we miss The Bearded One but holy shit the guy is a sack and fumble machine. Add that to the overthrow on a a wide open Gallup down the sideline and there are the indicators that he just doesn’t grasp the position. He definitely doesn’t protect the ball and he is a sitting duck in the pocket.

This is a SB caliber D but Dak effectively neutralizes it with the TOs and sacks.

I’m celebrating the win but my enthusiasm for the postseason is very limited.

I don’t think a team can win marching thru the playoffs with a QB who takes huge sacks and fumbles the ball like Dak does at the most inopportune time.
I don't know if the NFL keeps track of this stat or not, but I would guess Dak leads the NFL in sacks taken when the team is within scoring range.......say inside the 35 yard line.

It's uncanny how many times this dude takes sacks which knock the Cowboys out of FG range or he'll fumble the ball away when Dallas is in plus territory.

I'd love to know the number of points per game we leave on the field because of those sacks and turnovers. Probably has to be at least 5.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Also props to whoever made the call to open the stadium last night. Don’t let Drew Brees play a game with a roof over his head.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He should but you do realize that he wont be, right? He makes the playoffs and he at least gets a one year extension.
On the flip side if he doesn't make the playoffs he's probably gone. Jerry's expectations have been raised, to miss the playoffs now would infuriate him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Finally, god damn, can we get Connor Williams, Tyron Smith, and Travis Frederick back? Please?!?!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if the NFL keeps track of this stat or not, but I would guess Dak leads the NFL in sacks taken when the team is withing scoring range.......say inside the 35 yard line.

It's uncanny how many times this dude takes sacks which knock thee Cowboys out of FG range or he'll fumbles the ball away when Dallas is in plus territory.

I'd love to know the number of points per game we leave on the field because of those sacks and turnovers. Probably has to be at least 5.
We have got to be more creative in the redzone. We don't have the horses to just run over people at the goal line anymore. And frankly our play calling is some of the worst in the redzone.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We held the highest scoring offense in the NFL to 192 totals yards and 10 points, that actually should have been 3 if it hadn't been for the refs. Let that sink in. Utterly amazing.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Nothing you don't see if you happen to stop by a dollar general.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Well, Dak has to be better. He has to be at least first half Dak where he put up 13 points. He needs to stop taking sacks. He needs to stop fumbling. He needs to be better in the red zone. Seriously, that’s becoming a thing, he’s taking a sack it feels like almost every time we get inside the 10 or 20.

But if you take those sacks and turnovers away his performance last night would have been good enough for 19-27 points, and if the defense keeps this up, that could be good enough to give you a chance against anyone.
The Saints defense was having its way with the oline last night. Dak was under seige whenever he dropped back to pass. Ball protection is poor many times, and it's baffling and frustrating.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Finally, god damn, can we get Connor Williams, Tyron Smith, and Travis Frederick back? Please?!?!
I wouldn't plan on Frederick at all. Even if he is cleared you have to wonder what kind of shape those muscles are in. Not enough time for him. Just mark him off the hopeful list.

As far as the other two I'm sure we will see Smith back next game and Williams possibly.

Agree with your point, though. A hobbled Martin can only do so much. OLine needs to get better for Dak to get better.

1bigfan13

Staff member
That play where Jaylon Smith stopped Kamara short of the goal line was the mirror image of that play he made against Deshaun Watson.

Smith has become my new favorite Cowboy. He still has a lot of room to grow in the area of pass coverage, but from 10 yards and in he's about as good as it gets.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
After the excitement wore off last night, I came back down to earth.

I definitely felt that way about the D a few weeks ago, but this defense is for real. They have stepped it up over the last month and are the reason for the win streak. The bad news, as there always is for Dallas is that Dak basically sucks.

Yeah Tyron was out, and we miss The Bearded One but holy shit the guy is a sack and fumble machine. Add that to the overthrow on a a wide open Gallup down the sideline and there are the indicators that he just doesn’t grasp the position. He definitely doesn’t protect the ball and he is a sitting duck in the pocket.

This is a SB caliber D but Dak effectively neutralizes it with the TOs and sacks.

I’m celebrating the win but my enthusiasm for the postseason is very limited.

I don’t think a team can win marching thru the playoffs with a QB who takes huge sacks and fumbles the ball like Dak does at the most inopportune time.
And misses as many big plays as he does.

He missed a wide open deep TD to Gallup both last night and vs the Redskins.

He missed one to Cooper vs Atlanta.

He missed one to Swain vs Tennessee.

He just misses way too many easy throws and what's worse, they're always for big plays and scores.

I can't help but think this will be our eventual downfall.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't plan on Frederick at all. Even if he is cleared you have to wonder what kind of shape those muscles are in. Not enough time for him. Just mark him off the hopeful list.

As far as the other two I'm sure we will see Smith back next game and Williams possibly.

Agree with your point, though. A hobbled Martin can only do so much. OLine needs to get better for Dak to get better.
The worst part is I think Frederick is the guy we need back the most.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm most impressed by the secondary.

We all expected them to be the weak link and instead those guys played their assess off.

Drew Brees didn't have anywhere to go with the football for the entire night and he forced a lot of contested passes.

Major props to them for playing way better than most of us thought they could.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

What the hell?

Top Bottom