KT: Should The Dallas Cowboys Extend Dak This Offseason?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
"Team friendly." That's what the usual suspects crowed when Terrance Williams signed his extension. The idea is to get better, not sign average players for a bargain.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
"Team friendly." That's what the usual suspects crowed when Terrance Williams signed his extension. The idea is to get better, not sign average players for a bargain.
Unless there is no one better. It's a lot easier to get better at WR than it is at QB. There are simply not enough grade-A QB prospects coming out of college every year to stock 32 NFL teams. For every hot-shit draft pick that turns into a good QB, four or five others fall flat or meander along in mediocre land.

Of the top shelf QBs, Brees and Brady will soon be gone. It's not like NE or NO can reach down into a shopping bag and pull out another star QB.

Dak may not be the guy, but it's hard to see who else there is on the horizon for a team with no #1 pick, or no pick high enough for the foreseeable future.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Dak may not be the guy, but it's hard to see who else there is on the horizon for a team with no #1 pick, or no pick high enough for the foreseeable future.
Bigger picture, maybe next year we have real injury problems like the Skins and Eagles this year and get that pick high enough to draft a better guy.

But by then, Dak will already have his huge Jerry deal. So forget that idea.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
No. Why would you? The guy can't see open WRs running around by themselves. He doesn't read the whole field.

I think within a year or so we'll hear the same things we heard about Quincy Carter, the staff wanted him only reading one half of the field because he's limited in reading the defense. He's a good athlete, he's an average at best passer, and a horrible reader of defenses.

IDK, I think you have to have a QB that you feel comfortable enough with to call a play where the primary targets are running routes for a 1st down on 3rd and 12, instead of accepting defeat and throwing to a back or a TE within 3 yards of the LOS by design.

I remember the instant change in philosophy when Romo took over for Bledsoe. Bledsoe was trusted to do the same check down shit on 3rd and long as Dak is now. Romo comes in, you're in long distance situations on 3rd down, and he's actually trying to throw to WRs past the line to gain with regularity, not handing off draw runs to Jones or Barber.

Don't extend this guy, he's not the long term QB for this team, imo.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Unless there is no one better. It's a lot easier to get better at WR than it is at QB. There are simply not enough grade-A QB prospects coming out of college every year to stock 32 NFL teams. For every hot-shit draft pick that turns into a good QB, four or five others fall flat or meander along in mediocre land.

Of the top shelf QBs, Brees and Brady will soon be gone. It's not like NE or NO can reach down into a shopping bag and pull out another star QB.

What an utterly defeatist attitude. "We can't do any better than you, so here's $75 million." The Pats have Brady but did their homework and unearthed Garoppolo, yet for us that's somehow mission impossible. We have a year to play with. We don't have to pay him anytime soon. He's the 4th best QB in the division. Every other NFC team either has an older savvy vet better than him or a young hotshot better than him. Only Tampa Bay has a worse starting QB. Very few quality teams would accept that or reward him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What an utterly defeatist attitude. "We can't do any better than you, so here's $75 million." The Pats have Brady but did their homework and unearthed Garoppolo, yet for us that's somehow mission impossible. We have a year to play with. We don't have to pay him anytime soon. He's the 4th best QB in the division. Every other NFC team either has an older savvy vet better than him or a young hotshot better than him. Only Tampa Bay has a worse starting QB. Very few quality teams would accept that or reward him.
Lol you'd take Eli over him? GTFO

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Lol you'd take Eli over him? GTFO
Is he better than Dak right now? Absolutely. The only thing Dak does better is run. Manning is immobile but has a better arm, deep ball, and can read defenses.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

Pathetic. Even Cooper Rush puts enough air under that ball.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Any conversation about Dak's short or long term prospects has to take into account how long Garrett (and/or Linehan) are going to be around. I believe any QB in Dallas is doomed to mediocrity with Garrett and his offensive scheme in place.
Pretty much this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is he better than Dak right now? Absolutely. The only thing Dak does better is run. Manning is immobile but has a better arm, deep ball, and can read defenses.
You're high if you think Eli is better. Dak is better then Alex Smith has been this year as well.

Shit, just look at recent win loss records and Dak is clearly better.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
You're high if you think Eli is better. Dak is better then Alex Smith has been this year as well.

Shit, just look at recent win loss records and Dak is clearly better.
Smith took the Chiefs to the playoffs last year and was doing the same for the Skins before he got hurt. Eli would get sacked a lot behind our line, but hey, so does Dak -- who leaves a lot of yards and potential TDs on the field.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Smith took the Chiefs to the playoffs last year and was doing the same for the Skins before he got hurt. Eli would get sacked a lot behind our line, but hey, so does Dak -- who leaves a lot of yards and potential TDs on the field.
Alex Smith sports a 85 QB rating this year. Lower completion percentage, lower yards per pass attempt, less yards, and less TDs. He is literally worse across the board this season.

And if you think Eli is better then I'm not sure what you have been watching. The dude is an absolute mess in the pocket. He is lost and confused 90% of the time. It's why the Giants have barely won any games. His career QB rating is 84 ffs.

Dak isn't perfect but this is the problem with fans. They are so jaded that they feel like they have to make up in their mind that Dak is somehow worse then he really is. He misses throws and he misses reads and he takes sacks that he shouldn't. Welcome to every QB in the NFL. It's just a matter of how many throws he misses compared to other QBs. He also makes plays with his feet that a lot of NFL QBs can't. He makes some really good plays too. His 5 rushing TDs on the year are probably better then a lot of other NFL QBs.

To me it's a no brainer

1. Carson Wentz
2. Dak Prescott
3. Alex Smith
4. Eli Manning

And frankly I wouldn't give a contract to Alex Smith or Eli Manning if my life depended on it. So it's not some sort of a tip of the cap that Dak should be extended simply because he is the second best QB in our division.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I didn't mean to imply paying a mediocre QB $75 million, that they should just "settle" for Dak and fork over the dough no matter what. Not my point at all. Not even sure they should re-up him if he's not worth it.

I'm just saying quality QBs don't grow on trees. For however many savvy vets or young hotshots there are in the NFC there sure are a lot of really average teams out there.

Yes, the Pats found Garoppolo but that's the Pats -- not Jerry. As far as the defeatist attitude, check the record. Ain't been nothin' but defeats with Jerry at helm for the last 20-plus years. Suddenly the fuck-up in chief is going to pull some miracle QB out of his wrinkled old ass?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Suddenly the fuck-up in chief is going to pull some miracle QB out of his wrinkled old ass?
that's why hes ridin with Dak. This is his last rodeo, and he thinks Dak is good enough to get wherever Jerry thinks this team is going. I think we're stuck with Dak.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I didn't mean to imply paying a mediocre QB $75 million, that they should just "settle" for Dak and fork over the dough no matter what. Not my point at all. Not even sure they should re-up him if he's not worth it.

I'm just saying quality QBs don't grow on trees. For however many savvy vets or young hotshots there are in the NFC there sure are a lot of really average teams out there.

Yes, the Pats found Garoppolo but that's the Pats -- not Jerry. As far as the defeatist attitude, check the record. Ain't been nothin' but defeats with Jerry at helm for the last 20-plus years. Suddenly the fuck-up in chief is going to pull some miracle QB out of his wrinkled old ass?
Almost every NFC team has a better QB than Dak. They acquired them via miracles? If Jerry could see that the status quo wasn't working at wideout, why should QB be any different?

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Almost every NFC team has a better QB than Dak. They acquired them via miracles? If Jerry could see that the status quo wasn't working at wideout, why should QB be any different?
Because, listen carefully, a wideout is easier to plug in than a QB. And even at that, Jerry's history with wideouts is horrendous. You're implying that "almost every NFC team has a better QB than Dak."

If so, how come half of them have worse records than Dak?

Phil: 5 - 6
NYG: 3 - 8

GB: 4 - 6
Det 4 - 7

Atl: 4- 7
TB: 4- 7

AZ: 2 - 9
SF: 2 - 9

And, consider that Dak is working with the handicap of a horrible coach.

Top Bottom