Saints Stuff...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
His YPA are way up.
Which has a bearing on total yards.

Which like I said, has an extremely high correlation to winning games.
Not arguing that.

But you have in the past attempted to explain away Dak's low yardage output as irrelevant when it is certainly not.

He can have other things that look good -- such as high QB rating, high completion percentage, etc, all things that "better correlate to winning," -- but still not be winning. And the "why" there is because his low yardage output means he's not getting his team down the field through the air enough to get into scoring position enough. The problem with claiming that "low yards don't prove he's struggling" is that these "better indicators" can be masked by each other. He can have a low YPA, but a high completion percentage, or vice versa, and they make up for each other. The problem was, neither Prescott's YPA nor his completion percentages were abysmal, but his total output was. And you were ignoring that.

Those other stats may "better" correlate to winning, but that doesn't mean yards don't matter. Again, the reason they don't correlate to winning, is because too often the guy that throw for 250 yards beats the guy who throws for 260 yards. So the higher passing totals don't correlate to winning necessarily, especially because the trailing team will have to throw more to catch up. But that only rationally works when both offenses are functioning.

When you are only throwing for 150-160 yards, that's NOT functioning. And early this season, that's what Prescott was doing. Those numbers absolutely correlate to losing.

If my guy throws for 170 yards, 4 TDs and completes a high percentage of his passes in the process the yards are meaningless.
Yeah, but that essentially almost never happens.

I'd bet that the vast majority of sub-200 yard passing days in today's league are losses, not wins.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'd bet that the vast majority of sub-200 yard passing days in today's league are losses, not wins.
Yep, because the only way that wins is with a great running game and defense.

I mean, c'mon. We scored 13 points last night and won. That doesn't happen because of good QB play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, because the only way that wins is with a great running game and defense.

I mean, c'mon. We scored 13 points last night and won. That doesn't happen because of good QB play.
But we could have easily scored more. If the game was on the line we could have easily scored a TD there at the end. If it was a 20-10 win but the Saints got the ball back would that have made you feel better? There is more to it then just a score.

Which by the way that would have been the case had the Saints not committed a PI. Otherwise Cooper is adding a TD to his stat line.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
But we could have easily scored more.
I thought this was going to be followed by, "If our QB hadn't inexplicably fumbled at the Saints 15 late in the game." :tippytoe

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought this was going to be followed by, "If our QB hadn't inexplicably fumbled at the Saints 15 late in the game." :tippytoe
Well that is true. That pass protection was god awful on that play. I'm not sure there was anything Dak could do there. And even if he scored it would have been called back for the hold. But the one thing you can't do is fumble. Just do not fumble the ball. It's the one thing Dak could have done right on that play. No excuse for it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well that is true. That pass protection was god awful on that play. I'm not sure there was anything Dak could do there. And even if he scored it would have been called back for the hold. But the one thing you can't do is fumble. Just do not fumble the ball. It's the one thing Dak could have done right on that play. No excuse for it.
Dak is so the new Mark Rypien.

Protected by a superior offense the moment he became a starter, got a new contract, then fell apart in the face of pressure he'd never known when his formerly all-world OL started falling apart.

And he fumbled like 11 out of the first 12 times he was sacked.

Let's just hope this average mofo stumbles into a Superbowl win the same way Rypien did before similarly fading into obscurity.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Gallup would have been a hero.
I was wrong when I said he over threw him again. Last week it was a sinfully under thrown ball. This week, badly overthrown. Guess he just needs to find the happy medium... Funny thing is, it seems Dak is afraid to throw a ball unless a receiver is wide open. Hanging onto the ball far too long. But when Gallup gets as wide open as he has, Dak is shocked and shits on himself.

Gallup's gotta be thinking, 'God daaaamn, man!'

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was wrong when I said he over threw him again. Last week it was a sinfully under thrown ball. This week, badly overthrown. Guess he just needs to find the happy medium... Funny thing is, it seems Dak is afraid to throw a ball unless a receiver is wide open. Hanging onto the ball far too long. But when Gallup gets as wide open as he has, Dak is shocked and shits on himself.

His deep throw to Gallup earlier in the game was the perfect happy medium. Was too bad he could score on it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
His deep throw to Gallup earlier in the game was the perfect happy medium. Was too bad he could score on it.
Gallup wasn't nearly as wide open on that one as the other two. Only regular open, which Dak looks for. So clearly, we should blame Gallup for getting TOO wide open on the other two. F'n rookie. :art

p1_

DCC 4Life

Id love to be a fly on the wall when they review the film with Dak. He's gonna get the chance to hit those many more times. I so hope he gets better at his 'touch' on those balls. Perhaps some sage coaching/mentoring will help.

Top Bottom