Kliff Kingsbury should maybe be on fast track from Lubbock to Dallas

p1_

DCC 4Life
Texas Tech head coach Kliff Kingbury could soon be on the market in a move that would send waves through both the college and NFL communities. ESPN is reporting Kingsbury is unsure of his future and has a pending meeting with his athletic director. KENS-5 in San Antonio is reporting a decision has already been made.
After a 2018 season finale loss to Baylor, Kingsbury would have finished his career under .500 as a head coach if dismissed, but it likely wouldn’t be an impediment for him getting a prestigious gig next year on someone’s sideline. That’s because Kingsbury has forged a reputation as a sharp offensive mind, who simply may have been overmatched by the job of collegiate recruiting and being in charge of 100 players at a school with unrealistic expectations for their program.

As such, fans can expect Kingsbury to be named for many openings at the collegiate level, but also at the NFL one. Kingsbury is seen as an up and coming offensive guru who could bring his scheme and playbook to the next level.

If the Cowboys were smart, they’d seriously consider getting a leg up on the competition and bring Kingsbury on as soon as legally possible. He seems committed to the state, having attended Texas Tech and having spent all three of his coaching stints in the state at the University of Houston, Texas A&M and Texas Tech.
Dallas won’t and can’t bring him on as coordinator midseason, but they can hire him as an offensive consultant for the rest of 2018.

That would present an opportunity for Jason Garrett and the front office to get a feel for Kingsbury and how he would address the shortcomings of the Dallas offense.

If rumors the Cowboys strongly considered firing offensive coordinator Scott Linehan over the bye week are true, then there is a strong chance he will still be removed in the offseason. Getting a sample of what Kingsbury could be with the talent Dallas has would be a profoundly wise move by the team.

It isn’t without risk, of course. Dallas has won three in a row and has been on a strong but hardly perfect run on offense where they’ve averaged just under 27 points a game in the last three. However none of the teams they’ve defeated are currently in playoff position, so there could be some false positives being returned.

So if Dallas is committed to replacing Linehan, then adding Kingsbury now to try and further the offense in 2018 and get an evaluation period on a potential high-pedigree replacement.
We checked in with draft expert, news reporter at Fox 34and Texas Tech alum Jonah Tuls (@JonahTulsNFL) on what Kingsbury has to offer.

Cowboys Wire: What went wrong with Kingsbury in the big chair at Texas Tech? What were the major failings that led to his dismissal Saturday?

Jonah Tuls: I think the biggest thing here is a misjudgment of expectations. Many donors expected Kingsbury to bring Tech back to the success they had with Mike Leach. That was never going to be the case. As a result, I think donors pressured (athletic director) Kirby Hocutt to make a move. In fact, they would’ve (likely) made this move last year if Tech didn’t reach a bowl.

Cowboys Wire: So what does Kingsbury bring to the table? In general what are considered his redeeming qualities as an offensive mind?

Tuls: It’s because he has a proven track record of developing quarterbacks. Also, he is a really good playcaller. With the way the NFL is going, I think more and more teams will be receptive to someone like Kingsbury as an offensive coordinator. Not all great playcallers are great head coaches, and that was the case here. He will have no problem garnering interest around the NFL, and that’s where I think his next spot is.

Think about it. He started a freshman walk-on quarterback. Who was it? Baker Mayfield. Then people trashed Texas Tech for letting him transfer to OU. You know why he couldn’t earn the starting job his second season? Patrick Mahomes. Also in that quarterback room was Davis Webb. Kingsbury knows how to develop quarterbacks, and I think he will fit right in as an OC or passing game coordinator in the NFL.

CW: Can you tell us more about what his strengths are as a playcaller? What makes him and something that may give NFL defensive coordinators nightmares?

Tuls: It may sound simple, but Kingsbury is really good at calling plays to his players’ strengths. As some fans are aware, a lot of NFL playcallers are awful at this. The scheme was the same of course, but he called plays completely different when he had Mahomes and Mayfield than when he coached Shimonek and Bowman. He is truly a quarterback/offensive mastermind on the level of a Matt LaFleur or John DeFilippo, and I think he will be one of the biggest bargains for an NFL team this offseason.

He is also excellent at identifying and exposing weaknesses in defensive personnel. If you watch enough Texas Tech tape, you’d find out he loves sticking his biggest receivers in the slot (Wesley, Cantrell, Amaro) to gain a mismatch, whether it’s on a slot fade or a slant across the middle where the box out the smaller defender. He is also smart with how he utilizes motion. A lot of playcallers use motion just to use motion, if that makes sense. But going back to exposing personnel weaknesses, he uses motion to create mismatches.

CW: If he were to join Dallas as a replacement for Scott Linehan, what differences would Cowboys fans see? How would he impact Dak Prescott’s game?

Tuls: For starters, Dallas fans would see a lot more creativity and motion in the offense. Whether that means using Ezekiel Elliott more as a receiver or moving Amari Cooper back and forth from the outside to the slot, I think it will create a lot more headaches for defenses. Kingsbury would be an excellent hire for Prescott’s development.

If anyone can maximize Dak’s ability as a dual-threat weapon, it’s Kliff Kingsbury. Not only would he incorporate Dak more into the run game, but I think he would significantly upgrade this team’s play action offense. I don’t think the scheme will change much. I just think you’ll see Kingsbury take advantage of personnel mismatches by using motion and creative sets that you simply don’t see with Linehan.

CW: Finally- some detractors might have issues with how Kingsbury used his running backs at Tech. Would this be an issue with Dallas?

Tuls: I doubt it. Like I said earlier, I think Kliff is really good at knowing what his personnel’s strengths and weaknesses are. You saw it with Mahomes and Mayfield. I think he would use Dak in a similar way to those two as a dual-threat and a ton of play action. I still think Elliott will receive 20-plus touches a game, if not more because of how this offense is built. But it could be 15 carries and five catches instead of just 20-25 carries. Is that so much a bad thing? Especially with the lifespan of a running back, I think it would be a good balance.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Nope. Terrible idea in this scenario. Dak isn’t the right guy for the job is one glaring thing that comes to mind.

Also, it would be a failure to put him in the situation that resides with the cowboys. You aren’t going to change the team philosophy so why try to bandaid the offense.

Not only that but Wesley and Cantrell don’t/didn’t play in the slot. Duh.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Nope. Terrible idea in this scenario. Dak isn’t the right guy for the job is one glaring thing that comes to mind.

Also, it would be a failure to put him in the situation that resides with the cowboys. You aren’t going to change the team philosophy so why try to bandaid the offense.

Not only that but Wesley and Cantrell don’t/didn’t play in the slot. Duh.
I said "no thanks" in another thread because of the way he used his RB's.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I said "no thanks" in another thread because of the way he used his RB's.
At the beginning of this year the RBs were the most potent part of his offense. He did get away from that but part of that was OL play.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
You have to stick with what you have right now.
You don't have to, but they will because they're lazy and content with mediocrity.

There have been quite a few instances where ownership/GMs have made coaching changes with teams who had winning records because they understood that the current regime had likely plateaued and they wanted more for their organization.

Unfortunately 9-7 and a one-and-done playoff appearance is viewed as a successful season in Dallas. So no coaching changes for us.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You don't have to, but they will because they're lazy and content with mediocrity.

There have been quite a few instances where ownership/GMs have made coaching changes with teams who had winning records because they understood that the current regime had likely plateaued and they wanted more for their organization.

Unfortunately 9-7 and a one-and-done playoff appearance is viewed as a successful season in Dallas. So no coaching changes for us.
What I mean is, they aren't firing Linehan midseason, and it's retarded to think bringing in Linehan's replacement to work WITH (and under) him could work.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I mean is, they aren't firing Linehan midseason, and it's retarded to think bringing in Linehan's replacement to work WITH (and under) him could work.
I think Linehan is a pushover. I do think an extra assistant who could give him ideas of how to spruce the passing attack up could help. I mean FFS they were asking Amari Cooper for new plays.

p1_

DCC 4Life
well, screw the current season idea. Show Linehan the door the day after our season ends. Unless, by some stretch, we can Garrett.

D

Deuce

Unless Jerry was giving Kliff some winks during the conversation like he probably did with Garrett, I don’t see our OC job as valuable. It’s probably a 1 and done year when Garrett is fired.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Unless Jerry was giving Kliff some winks during the conversation like he probably did with Garrett, I don’t see our OC job as valuable. It’s probably a 1 and done year when Garrett is fired.
Garrett either gets re-signed or fired after this season. He won't coach the last year of his deal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry is the king of winks and back room promises.

Cotton

Staff member

75% of our fans are smart.

Cotton

Staff member
I see no problem hiring him as QB coach. Absolutely not for OC
You haven't much attention to his offense. It is top 10 in the country, easily. Possibly top 5 in creativity.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

75% of our fans are smart.
As much as you people have bitched about the guy, really?

Cotton

Staff member
As much as you people have bitched about the guy, really?
He is the offensive version of Wade Phillips. Not good as a HC, but one of the best in the business as an OC.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
How Kliff Kingsbury could fit into the Dallas Cowboys

The recently fired Texas Tech head coach could find his way to Dallas soon.
By David Howman@_DH44_ Nov 25, 2018, 1:40pm CST

The Dallas Cowboys may be on a three-game win streak right now and building steam towards claiming a division title, but it seems apparent that this team is still far from being real Super Bowl contenders. The defense has been the strongest point of this team, but the offense has been the root of all problems this year. Adding Amari Cooper has helped significantly, but there are still times where the offense falls flat and is unable to produce. Many of these struggles tend to happen in the red zone, specifically, where Dallas ranks 25th in the league in red zone touchdowns per game.

While some of these struggles have to do with personnel, a lot of the blame has to fall at the feet of the man running the offense: Scott Linehan. There were very loud calls for Linehan to be fired at the end of last season, and the Cowboys reportedly came close to doing so in their bye week this year, but instead decided to fire Paul Alexander. And while the offense is doing better since then, there’s no guarantee that Linehan remains with the team.

And now, there’s a pretty spectacular incentive for Dallas to part ways with Linehan, or at least start paving the way for that.

Texas Tech reportedly made the decision that most of us expected by firing their head coach, Kliff Kingsbury, after six seasons with the program. The Red Raiders ended the season on a five game losing streak after their starting quarterback was injured for the year and squandered a 5-2 start to lose out on a bowl game appearance.

Kingsbury, as some may remember, is a bit of an offensive wunderkind with a record of prolific offenses and getting the most out of his quarterbacks. In his two years as the offensive coordinator for the University of Houston, Kingsbury helped Case Keenum rewrite ten different NCAA passing records that still stand to this day. Kingsbury then spent a year running the offense at Texas A&M and getting the most productive season of his career from then-freshman Johnny Manziel.

Kingsbury parlayed his success into the head coaching job at Texas Tech, where he coached three different quarterbacks who are now in the NFL: Davis Webb, Patrick Mahomes, and Baker Mayfield. Kingsbury’s teams consistently had some stellar offenses, but the biggest on-field problem was that the defenses were always terrible.

Kingsbury also seemed to have trouble juggling the responsibilities of recruiting with running the team. The general consensus seems to be that he’s a schematic mastermind but isn’t quite ready to run a program. Perhaps a few more years working specifically with the offense might help grow his skillset.

This is where America’s Team enters the picture. The fit with Kingsbury almost seems too perfect. He’s a Texas native and has only worked with the Texas schools thus far, and his track record of building offenses around the players’ best skills, as well as developing quarterbacks and getting the best out of them, should make Dallas jump up and down. The only thing in the way of Kingsbury calling plays for the Cowboys right now is that, unlike the college football season, the NFL season isn’t close to being done yet.

And as Dallas is entering the final stretch towards a playoff spot, making a change to their coaching staff like that would probably only be a disservice to the team. But what they could do is hire Kingsbury in an advisory or consultant role. In the short term, it would allow Kingsbury to inject his expertise into this offense and effectively serve as a trial run for Jason Garrett, and Stephen Jones for that matter, to gauge how their relationship would work.

Specifically seeing how Kingsbury works with offensive centerpieces like Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Amari Cooper, and Cole Beasley would give the Cowboys an idea of what he could do with them. Kingsbury could also use his college background to brainstorm more ways to get players like Rico Gathers and Tavon Austin (when he returns from injury) more involved.

And if things work out well, then Dallas can feel more comfortable moving on from Linehan if they decide that’s the decision they want to make. Often times, NFL teams will hold onto a coach even if they don’t want to because there aren’t any suitable replacements they can realistically get. But if Dallas makes a move soon, they could put themselves into a position where they have a replacement - and arguably an upgrade - for Linehan if a change happens.

That may not be really doable, however, since Linehan would have no doubts that Kingsbury was there specifically to take his place next season. However, he might just take it and focus on finishing out the year as strongly as possible to make his own resume look better. It may depend on how open or close minded the Joneses are about the future of the OC job.

There is always an option of negotiating a deal with Kingsbury and not going public with it. That is a bit risky, since those kinds of secrets seldom stay secret. There may be other possible paths involving different titles and roles. It really just depends on whether the Joneses really want Kingsbury. If they do, they will find a way to make it happen.

But they have to strike now before Kingsbury finds a job at another college football program, or worse - another NFL team scoops him up. At just 39 years old and with such an outstanding offensive resume, Kingsbury won’t be on the market for long.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Do it, Jerry. Do it now.

Top Bottom