Jerry breaks his arm patting himself on the back for Cooper trade -- comparisons to Irvin/Emmit

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So, think about this. Dak, a 4th round pick, essentially a throw-away pick for what might be, at best, a back up QB, is 28-15 so far in his 3rd year; a division champ is his first year, 9 -7 his 2nd year, and maybe on his way to a div. champ this year. All that under the burden of horrible NFL coaching.

Take a 4th round pick with awful NFL coaching . . . that's not too bad.
With the talent we’ve had we should have been elite, not “not too bad”.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a good pass and showed confidence in Cooper.

It was a great catch, broken tackle, and amazing field awareness and breakaway run by Cooper.

On that catch most WRs would have had 0 YAC, but Cooper proved extraordinary.
Yep totally agree with all of this. Just really impressive balance by Cooper to keep his feet and break away like that.

shane

DCC 4Life
Before Cooper showed up, he had the worst receiving core and coaching in the NFL. Now he has immediately improved and is making plays. I almost wish he would fuck up so Garrett would get fired, but Dak is too good to let it happen.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know about that. This is really the first year we have felt good about the defense in a long time. And even on offense we kind of let the receiving targets go to shit before rebuilding them. Still I think we are on the right path to having a talented team. Of course some of that ability to build such a strong unit is that we didn't have to blow multiple draft picks to go and get someone like Goff or Wentz.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't know about that. This is really the first year we have felt good about the defense in a long time
I agree and was referring to the offense. What is just so disturbing was how the team went with Dak after only a handful of games in spite of Romo being healthy and available. They missed a chance at being really great.

I can totally understand the reaction from fans and social media to go with a rookie who looked good statistically, but real NFL coaches and management should have known better.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The only thing I wonder about Cooper is if he can beat a guy off the line on a simple go route. Most of his routes seem to be in/out routes and slants.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The only thing I wonder about Cooper is if he can beat a guy off the line on a simple go route. Most of his routes seem to be in/out routes and slants.
If they give him one, maybe well find out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah he looked to have plenty of speed to me outrunning everyone for 90 yards. I've seen him get a couple of go routes, it's just that Dak overthrew them. I definitely think Cooper can.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Dak was sacked four times. I'm scoring two of them his fault -- holding the ball too long -- the other two borderline, the protection broke down. Taking the sack in the red zone was unforgivable. That can't happen.

I don't understand how the miserable excuse for a QB coach, Moore, can't get it into Dak's head to throw the ball away down there if no one's open, or if he doesn't see anyone open. The clock in a QB's head: snap, tick, tick, progressions -- bang -- throw it. Into the ground if necessary.

It's something Romo was never good at. To him an incompletion was a defeat. Always tried to make a big play when nothing was there. Led to disasters all the time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dak was sacked four times. I'm scoring two of them his fault -- holding the ball too long -- the other two borderline, the protection broke down. Taking the sack in the red zone was unforgivable. That can't happen.

I don't understand how the miserable excuse for a QB coach, Moore, can't get it into Dak's head to throw the ball away down there if no one's open, or if he doesn't see anyone open. The clock in a QB's head: snap, tick, tick, progressions -- bang -- throw it. Into the ground if necessary.

It's something Romo was never good at. To him an incompletion was a defeat. Always tried to make a big play when nothing was there. Led to disasters all the time.
:picard

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
When Tony finally gained confidence in his RB and his OL this changed. It took a long time to get to 2014 when these two aspects of the offense finally solidified.

You take it all upon yourself when you know that you're *it*, that no better other option exists. Romo still made mistakes, but they decreased as the offense around him got better.

Dak had it the other way around, almost to a bizarre degree. He landed into a near perfect offense, and the best at pass protection I may have ever seen. He didn't have to carry the load, just distribute the ball to the most open option and hand off to Zeke.

When both Zeke and Tyron left simultaneously vs. Atlanta in 2017, we saw Dak struggle because he had to carry the load completely on his own and was exposed as the young QB and average passer that he is.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
When Tony finally gained confidence in his RB and his OL this changed. It took a long time to get to 2014 when these two aspects of the offense finally solidified.

You take it all upon yourself when you know that you're *it*, that no better other option exists. Romo still made mistakes, but they decreased as the offense around him got better.

Dak had it the other way around, almost to a bizarre degree. He landed into a near perfect offense, and the best at pass protection I may have ever seen. He didn't have to carry the load, just distribute the ball to the most open option and hand off to Zeke.

When both Zeke and Tyron left simultaneously vs. Atlanta in 2017, we saw Dak struggle because he had to carry the load completely on his own and was exposed as the young QB and average passer that he is.
For years, I said if they would just stop asking him to throw the ball 40 times and give him a decent running game, we could win with him. Unfortunately, they achieved that late in his career.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm not sure I can get over that smug, told ya so, I'm the best ever look Jones had every time the camera panned over to his box when Cooper did something good. Jones is just so fucking irritating in the way he needs validation.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm not sure I can get over that smug, told ya so, I'm the best ever look Jones had every time the camera panned over to his box when Cooper did something good. Jones is just so fucking irritating in the way he needs validation.
He doesn't win very often, so he has to take his small wins and try to make them to be much bigger than they are to make himself appear to be a "football man".

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He doesn't win very often, so he has to take his small wins and try to make them to be much bigger than they are to make himself appear to be a "football man".
Considering Cooper filled a huge need at WR and looks to fit in well here with both Dak and the offense, while also opening things up for Zeke, I'd say so far it looks to be more than just a 'small' win.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Considering Cooper filled a huge need at WR and looks to fit in well here with both Dak and the offense, while also opening things up for Zeke, I'd say so far it looks to be more than just a 'small' win.
Cooper isn't shit in the overall scheme of things. In the span of 25+ years, adding one piece to a failing offense is the epitome of a small win.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Hes not so eager to show his frustration on camera. There's been tons of moments this season, at least one of them caught on tape where he was smacking the counter in front of him. He even caught himself doing it.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
It’s a very small “win” considering this team has hugely underperformed all year because of all the personnel whiffs Jones and Co signed off on before the season started.

Top Bottom