Jerry breaks his arm patting himself on the back for Cooper trade -- comparisons to Irvin/Emmit

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Then why didn't he take nearly this many sacks the previous two years? He took 25 as a rookie. Last year he only took 32. The guy is already at 38 sacks this year. I don't think your logic holds true.

But this happens occasionally with QBs. They have years where they get sacked a ton and then they correct. Last time Andrew Luck was a starter he had 41 sacks. This year? He's been sacked a total of 10 times. So no, I don't buy that Dak is just a QB who always takes a ton of sacks. This isn't David Carr for example. Better coaching and line play should be able to correct it.
Dak's isn't the product of a horrible OL like with Luck or Carr, though. On most of Dak's sacks, he's holding the ball way too long.

And he wasn't this way until the Falcon game last year. At the end of last year he was pretty bad. That's why I was withholding judgement on him until several games into this year.

Apparently Adrian Clayborn fricked with his head that much, but I guess that's understandable when you're talking about such a legendary pass rusher.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dak's isn't the product of a horrible OL like with Luck or Carr, though. On most of Dak's sacks, he's holding the ball way too long.

And he wasn't this way until the Falcon game last year. At the end of last year he was pretty bad. That's why I was withholding judgement on him until several games into this year.

Apparently Adrian Clayborn fricked with his head that much, but I guess that's understandable when you're talking about such a legendary pass rusher.
He is holding the ball too long. But it's something that can be corrected. He just needs to throw them away and live to fight another day. Or the offense needs to give him an outlet valve so that he can dump it off in those situations. The line hasn't been bad this year but I think some of the sacks are getting on Dak pretty quickly. It's also not just one rusher breaking free usually it's sort of the whole pocket collapsing which doesn't leave many running lanes for Dak. Maybe not unblocked fast but the line at times collapses pretty quick. They have played better in previous years. But again it's sort of understandable. We are playing with a backup LT, LG and center against the Redskins. This wasn't the line the coaches and Dak were counting on to start the season. Frederick has always been the immovable rock in the middle of the O-line. Without him sometimes there isn't a pocket for Dak to climb up into. I'd actually say Frederick is probably the biggest reason for the sacks being up this year. Not that Looney is giving up the sacks but he doesn't hold his ground the way Frederick did.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Okay, but most QBs have to deal with pressure sometimes. They don't always have the best line in football in front of them so they never get touched.

It's almost like Steve Kerr said about the Warriors recently: "We've been living in a fantasy land the last few years, and now we're back to reality."

p1_

DCC 4Life
So who’s faster, Amari or Zeke?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Dak’s yardage totals are definitely trending up since Cooper was acquired. He’s at 256 ypg, which is right about where i had the cutoff line for competence as a starter, since that last Washington loss. That’s good news.

The bad news is he’s now taking way too many sacks which are taking points off the board, he still misses easy ones like tonite where Gallup had two or three steps on the DB but the ball was under thrown, and he’s not putting up enough touchdowns when he gets in the red zone.

But baby steps.
That's how I see it as well.

there's definitely progress and he has played a little better in recent weeks, but there are still too many issues with what I consider basic fundamental play for an NFL-level QB.

We'll see where he is when the season ends.

vince

Not So New Member
He is holding the ball too long. But it's something that can be corrected. He just needs to throw them away and live to fight another day. Or the offense needs to give him an outlet valve so that he can dump it off in those situations. The line hasn't been bad this year but I think some of the sacks are getting on Dak pretty quickly. It's also not just one rusher breaking free usually it's sort of the whole pocket collapsing which doesn't leave many running lanes for Dak. Maybe not unblocked fast but the line at times collapses pretty quick. They have played better in previous years. But again it's sort of understandable. We are playing with a backup LT, LG and center against the Redskins. This wasn't the line the coaches and Dak were counting on to start the season. Frederick has always been the immovable rock in the middle of the O-line. Without him sometimes there isn't a pocket for Dak to climb up into. I'd actually say Frederick is probably the biggest reason for the sacks being up this year. Not that Looney is giving up the sacks but he doesn't hold his ground the way Frederick did.
He's dumping off 90% of his passes already. He's just not a pocket passer. This has been argued to death. Our coaching staff has no idea how to create plays where he can naturally be successful.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's dumping off 90% of his passes already. He's just not a pocket passer. This has been argued to death. Our coaching staff has no idea how to create plays where he can naturally be successful.
He isn't really though. That's a gross exaggeration. It's why very few of his passes are under 5 yards in the air compared to other QBs

p1_

DCC 4Life
Even the Amari explosive plays, the passes weren’t beautifully thrown balls, nor were they far downfield.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even the Amari explosive plays, the passes weren’t beautifully thrown balls, nor were they far downfield.
The 90 yard TD was pretty good and deep. Threaded between 3 defenders. I'd love to see more deep breaking routes like that with Cooper.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The first one was about 7-8 yards down the field, and the 2nd was 22 yards past the LOS.

The one that hurt was the late deep throw to Gallup that should have iced the game. Gallup had his guy by at least 2-3 steps and Dak tried to finesse it over the top, and came up short. If he had just aired it out and let Gallup run underneath it, it would have been a thing of beauty. A deep bomb to ice a game, which would have also put him over 300 yards with a few TD passes? Yeah, that would have went a long way for his confidence and to get the naysayers off his back.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first one was about 7-8 yards down the field, and the 2nd was 22 yards past the LOS.

The one that hurt was the late deep throw to Gallup that should have iced the game. Gallup had his guy by at least 2-3 steps and Dak tried to finesse it over the top, and came up short. If he had just aired it out and let Gallup run underneath it, it would have been a thing of beauty. A deep bomb to ice a game, which would have also put him over 300 yards with a few TD passes? Yeah, that would have went a long way for his confidence and to get the naysayers off his back.
Yeah I agree with you. Would have loved to see him throw a strike to Gallup. Not really sure why he threw it the way he did. Just didn't throw it with very much confidence. It was like he was too afraid of over throwing it so he got way too much air under it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah I agree with you. Would have loved to see him throw a strike to Gallup. Not really sure why he threw it the way he did. Just didn't throw it with very much confidence. It was like he was too afraid of over throwing it so he got way too much air under it.
Was that the one where he was backpedaling as he threw it, and underthrew it?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't think he put enough air under it. Looked to me he tried to just ease it over the top of the defender who was already trailing by a few steps. If he had just threw it out past Gallup with some air under it, Gallup could have ran under it and high stepped his way into the endzone.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No, that was early down in the redzone. Had Noah Brown wide open on the endzone stripe.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah that was a different play. Dak just shouldn't have bailed so hard on that one and he would have been fine.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think he put enough air under it. Looked to me he tried to just ease it over the top of the defender who was already trailing by a few steps. If he had just threw it out past Gallup with some air under it, Gallup could have ran under it and high stepped his way into the endzone.
See I would have preferred a little less air. When you have that much separation you can flatten it out a little and make the throw easier by throwing at the receiver instead of lofting it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
See I would have preferred a little less air. When you have that much separation you can flatten it out a little and make the throw easier by throwing at the receiver instead of lofting it.
Depends on the angle. Looked to me like he still would have had to get it over the defender. Gallup was running a fly down the sideline. On a route like that, you don't have to be perfect with your accuracy. Air it out and let the WR run underneath it. If he was cutting in on a post, then yeah. I could see flattening out the throw some.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

I've been completely baffled by Daks inability to hit his WR's in stride. He showed as a rookie he has the touch and the arm strength to make those throws. His mechanics are completely fucked, and he needs a strong QB coach to get him straightened out.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
So, think about this. Dak, a 4th round pick, essentially a throw-away pick for what might be, at best, a back up QB, is 28-15 so far in his 3rd year; a division champ is his first year, 9 -7 his 2nd year, and maybe on his way to a div. champ this year. All that under the burden of horrible NFL coaching.

Take a 4th round pick with awful NFL coaching . . . that's not too bad.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The 90 yard TD was pretty good and deep. Threaded between 3 defenders. I'd love to see more deep breaking routes like that with Cooper.
It was a good pass and showed confidence in Cooper.

It was a great catch, broken tackle, and amazing field awareness and breakaway run by Cooper.

On that catch most WRs would have had 0 YAC, but Cooper proved extraordinary.

Top Bottom