Jerry breaks his arm patting himself on the back for Cooper trade -- comparisons to Irvin/Emmit

deadrise

DCC 4Life
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/22/jerry-jones-links-cooper-and-zeke-to-irvin-and-emmitt/

Jerry Jones links Cooper and Zeke to Irvin and Emmitt

Although Cooper has just 14 catches for 169 yards as a Cowboy, Jones says Cooper deserves some of the credit for the performance of Ezekiel Elliott, who has 500 yards from scrimmage in the three games since Cooper arrived. Jones said what Cooper can do is similar to what Hall of Fame wide receiver Michael Irvin used to do for Hall of Fame running back Emmitt Smith.

“Well, I think I’m going to go back to Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin,” Jones said, via Clarence Hill of the Star-Telegram. “Emmitt had a lot of his runs where he wasn’t touched for the first three or four yards,” Jones said Wednesday morning on the NFL Network. “It’s because [Quarterback Troy] Aikman and Irvin had them backed off, and they knew if they didn’t stay back then Aikman, Irvin and [Tight end Jay] Novacek would take them right down the field. Well, Cooper has done that for us. We got to keep them back off. When we do, then Zeke can basically have the kind of days we want him to have as a running back. So it’s a balance thing. It always has been.”

It might be slightly premature to make such a comparison, and it’s worth noting that the Cowboys’ current two-game winning streak is against two subpar defenses, Philadelphia and Atlanta. But Jones, despite the criticism he has received for giving up a first-round pick, appears to have no regrets about the Cooper trade.

If ever there were a pathetically transparent attempt by Jerry at some sort of validation, some sort of desperate hope to be perceived alongside Jimmy, this takes the cake. My God, what a sad, appalling figure Jerry is.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
How many sets of "new triplets" since the 90s is this now?

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Troy Aikman: Nothing on film suggests Cowboys WR Amari Cooper is the reason Ezekiel Elliott has more running room

p1_

DCC 4Life
That old fucker is soooo stuck in the past.

midswat

... soon
I got excited at the misleading thread title, because I had hoped Jerry really broke a hip or something

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I'll take Zeke over Emmitt. Cooper can be a star for us. But come on, Dak stumbles and bumbles on his way to 180 yards passing. It's great to see Cooper make something happen with Dak's 10 yard throws. But watching Dak struggle with basic QB play makes me doubt how far we can go. It's just so shaky and unpredictable.
I'm all in on our defense, though. 100% convinced!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll take Zeke over Emmitt. Cooper can be a star for us. But come on, Dak stumbles and bumbles on his way to 180 yards passing. It's great to see Cooper make something happen with Dak's 10 yard throws. But watching Dak struggle with basic QB play makes me doubt how far we can go. It's just so shaky and unpredictable.
I'm all in on our defense, though. 100% convinced!
Dak hasn't thrown for under 200 since Cooper arrived. Just saying.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Dak’s yardage totals are definitely trending up since Cooper was acquired. He’s at 256 ypg, which is right about where i had the cutoff line for competence as a starter, since that last Washington loss. That’s good news.

The bad news is he’s now taking way too many sacks which are taking points off the board, he still misses easy ones like tonite where Gallup had two or three steps on the DB but the ball was under thrown, and he’s not putting up enough touchdowns when he gets in the red zone.

But baby steps.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dak’s yardage totals are definitely trending up since Cooper was acquired. He’s at 256 ypg, which is right about where i had the cutoff line for competence as a starter, since that last Washington loss. That’s good news.

The bad news is he’s now taking way too many sacks which are taking points off the board, he still misses easy ones like tonite where Gallup had two or three steps on the DB but the ball was under thrown, and he’s not putting up enough touchdowns when he gets in the red zone.

But baby steps.
Cooper has helped him tremendously. Dak is always going to miss some throws. Most QBs do. My biggest complaint are the sacks. He didn't used to take so many. They are drive killers for our offense.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Cooper has helped him tremendously. Dak is always going to miss some throws. Most QBs do. My biggest complaint are the sacks. He didn't used to take so many. They are drive killers for our offense.
He will continue to get sacked until he learns the read system better. He is just now getting reciever feedback on how they run their routes and their habits. The only one he has a handle on is Beasley. The rest of the receiving Corp are fairly new to the team. He also has a reasonable grasp of Elliot’s routes from the back field. If he can survive long enough he will get better. As Schmidt said. “Baby steps”.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He will continue to get sacked until he learns the read system better. He is just now getting reciever feedback on how they run their routes and their habits. The only one he has a handle on is Beasley. The rest of the receiving Corp are fairly new to the team. He also has a reasonable grasp of Elliot’s routes from the back field. If he can survive long enough he will get better. As Schmidt said. “Baby steps”.
I don't think it's that complicated. This wasn't a problem until this season. Sp it's either the line, Dak, or the play calling. But its fixable. Look at Andrew Luck who has always taken a ton of sacks. New coach, new system, and a new OG and it's totally different for him.

My biggest problem is situational stuff. A sack that you can take on third and goal (trying to make a play like the TD) you just have to throw it away on second and goal. There isn't enough situational awareness. And throwing the ball intentionally at a receivers feet to save a sack is totally ok.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think it's that complicated. This wasn't a problem until this season. Sp it's either the line, Dak, or the play calling. But its fixable. Look at Andrew Luck who has always taken a ton of sacks. New coach, new system, and a new OG and it's totally different for him.

My biggest problem is situational stuff. A sack that you can take on third and goal (trying to make a play like the TD) you just have to throw it away on second and goal. There isn't enough situational awareness. And throwing the ball intentionally at a receivers feet to save a sack is totally ok.
I think , at least in part, that the receiving Corp is essentially new. As I indicated Beasley and Swain are still aroung but the rest are new to the system. The most productive QB and Reciever production comes from those that know each other’s habits and ways of improvising.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think , at least in part, that the receiving Corp is essentially new. As I indicated Beasley and Swain are still aroung but the rest are new to the system. The most productive QB and Reciever production comes from those that know each other’s habits and ways of improvising.
And that could be true too. Especially losing Witten. He was sort of the outlet in this offense. When everyone is covered and the pressure is coming you just look for Witten and dump it off. Dak doesn't have that anymore and it could be causing him to hold the ball and scramble instead. Which is ok sometimes, I mean third and goal I'm ok with it. Last night it turned into a scramble for a TD. If you take a sack there it's a field goal instead of a throw away. But on second and goal you just can't take a sack or risk it.

Same thing with second down from your own 10. You just can't take a sack there.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't think it's on the receivers being new or the system or any of that. Dak just is who he is, an inaccurate passer who is so interception-averse he's always going to take those sacks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it's on the receivers being new or the system or any of that. Dak just is who he is, an inaccurate passer who is so interception-averse he's always going to take those sacks.
Then why didn't he take nearly this many sacks the previous two years? He took 25 as a rookie. Last year he only took 32. The guy is already at 38 sacks this year. I don't think your logic holds true.

But this happens occasionally with QBs. They have years where they get sacked a ton and then they correct. Last time Andrew Luck was a starter he had 41 sacks. This year? He's been sacked a total of 10 times. So no, I don't buy that Dak is just a QB who always takes a ton of sacks. This isn't David Carr for example. Better coaching and line play should be able to correct it.

Top Bottom