Week 12 Game Day Chatter | Redskins @ Cowboys | 11-22-2018

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Only the 2nd game I've watched in its entirety this season and I'll just give a few thoughts on Dak which is a hot topic on this forum right now.

He played well today for the most part, but he still misses too many easy reads and throws and his pocket awareness will just never be all that great.

Today just further solidifies for me the opinion I've always had of him, and that is that his ceiling is Kansas City Alex Smith.

You can win up to a certain point with a guy like him if you surround him with the right tools like good coaching, dominant defense, and a running game. But once you get into the the playoffs and the big games late in the year, his shortcomings as a passer always come to light because elite teams force you to put the game on them, and those QBs prove time and time again that they cannot win if you force them to carry the load.

So, is it ok to keep him there until we find something else? Sure.....but we need to be looking for that something better while he continues to play and not wait until we find out the hard way that he isn't a franchise QB.

I don't want a guy who needs everything else around him to be great. I don't want my team's margin for error to be slim because you can't count on them to score 20-30 points on a weekly basis. I don't want my coaching staff to have to pick and choose when they can throw down the field -- I want that to be an option on every single down because the QB is capable of doing it. I want them to be led by a QB who has real arm talent and can carry the offense and the passing game whenever he's called upon to do it, not a solid NFL starter.

And while I believe Dak Prescott can be on the higher end of the latter, he will never be the former.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Since it came up during the game, the money that Zeke put in the SA kettle looked like it was being held by a cameraman with the NFL logo on his vest behind the end zone. I saw a replay of it at BTB.

[video]https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1065723731031535617[/video]
Either Buck or Aikman said somebody was holding the money for him.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Yeah but if he did this every week he’d be Randy Moss on steroids.

I think given our QB situation he’s been more than fine. He’s not Julio Jones or AJ Green or Antonio Brown. He’s a middle of the road number one, not an elite number one, but that might still be the best WR we had since Dez was a top 10 WR in 2014.
:lol

He looked pretty elite last night.

Dez Bryant never outran an entire D from a dead stop like Cooper did last night. Dez might be better in his prime with the tough catches but I'd rather have a guy who can take the top off a D any time he touches the ball. Too bad he's got Dak throwing to him.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Only the 2nd game I've watched in its entirety this season and I'll just give a few thoughts on Dak which is a hot topic on this forum right now.

He played well today for the most part, but he still misses too many easy reads and throws and his pocket awareness will just never be all that great.

Today just further solidifies for me the opinion I've always had of him, and that is that his ceiling is Kansas City Alex Smith.

You can win up to a certain point with a guy like him if you surround him with the right tools like good coaching, dominant defense, and a running game. But once you get into the the playoffs and the big games late in the year, his shortcomings as a passer always come to light because elite teams force you to put the game on them, and those QBs prove time and time again that they cannot win if you force them to carry the load.

So, is it ok to keep him there until we find something else? Sure.....but we need to be looking for that something better while he continues to play and not wait until we find out the hard way that he isn't a franchise QB.

I don't want a guy who needs everything else around him to be great. I don't want my team's margin for error to be slim because you can't count on them to score 20-30 points on a weekly basis. I don't want my coaching staff to have to pick and choose when they can throw down the field -- I want that to be an option on every single down because the QB is capable of doing it. I want them to be led by a QB who has real arm talent and can carry the offense and the passing game whenever he's called upon to do it, not a solid NFL starter.

And while I believe Dak Prescott can be on the higher end of the latter, he will never be the former.
He missed a couple easy throws, and absolutely killed a couple TD drives with his propensity for holding the ball and/or taking a sack. It didn't help that Tyron was out, but even so a QB can't take sacks like that. The game shouldn't have been close at all, IMO.

It always feels good to beat the Shitskins, and it's even better to see that McCoy isn't taking that team anywhere.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
:lol

He looked pretty elite last night.

Dez Bryant never outran an entire D from a dead stop like Cooper did last night. Dez might be better in his prime with the tough catches but I'd rather have a guy who can take the top off a D any time he touches the ball. Too bad he's got Dak throwing to him.
The footwork and short area quickness he showed on the first TD was amazing. As I was watching it live I thought it might've been offensive PI because the DB was on the ground and given the type of route Cooper was running I assumed he pushed off/nudged the DB to get that separation at the top of the route. Instead it was just his crisp footwork that turned the DB around so badly that he ended up falling over, Cooper made absolutely no contact at all with the DB.

For a few years there Dez was a top 5-7 WR in the league, I'm not sure Cooper will get there but he won't be far off, and I think he'll end up being a much more well-rounded player with a longer shelf life. At the end of the day Dez was really only at the top of his game for about a 3-4 year stretch, and while Cooper might only top out as a borderline top 10 WR I think he'll stay there for longer than 3-4 years and I don't think he'll drop off a cliff like Dez did as he ages.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The footwork and short area quickness he showed on the first TD was amazing. As I was watching it live I thought it might've been offensive PI because the DB was on the ground and given the type of route Cooper was running I assumed he pushed off/nudged the DB to get that separation at the top of the route. Instead it was just his crisp footwork that turned the DB around so badly that he ended up falling over, Cooper made absolutely no contact at all with the DB.

For a few years there Dez was a top 5-7 WR in the league, I'm not sure Cooper will get there but he won't be far off, and I think he'll end up being a much more well-rounded player with a longer shelf life. At the end of the day Dez was really only at the top of his game for about a 3-4 year stretch, and while Cooper might only top out as a borderline top 10 WR I think he'll stay there for longer than 3-4 years and I don't think he'll drop off a cliff like Dez did as he ages.
Great route runners like Cooper last a lot longer in the NFL. The personality difference between Cooper and Dez is astounding too. Cooper is so laid back. Not demanding at all. Just sort of goes out, does his job great and knows the balls will come his way as a result.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Great route runners like Cooper last a lot longer in the NFL. The personality difference between Cooper and Dez is astounding too. Cooper is so laid back. Not demanding at all. Just sort of goes out, does his job great and knows the balls will come his way as a result.
He looks crabby all the time for some reason. Win/lose, mildly annoyed with the world. But yeah, I'll take that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He looks crabby all the time for some reason. Win/lose, mildly annoyed with the world. But yeah, I'll take that.
Shit even after the 90 yard TD it took him a bit to crack a smile. I'm assuming that's where the rumors about him not "loving" football came from.

But yeah I'll take it. And he is already having a bigger impact than he did with Carr over the last couple of years. The fact that the Raiders couldn't find a way to use this guy sort of speaks volumes to what a mess that organization is.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Boys! Did y’all not see the choreographed celebration? Y’all need to chill :lol

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Shit even after the 90 yard TD it took him a bit to crack a smile. I'm assuming that's where the rumors about him not "loving" football came from.

But yeah I'll take it. And he is already having a bigger impact than he did with Carr over the last couple of years. The fact that the Raiders couldn't find a way to use this guy sort of speaks volumes to what a mess that organization is.
The Raiders are still fans of speed and the big downfield play. Speed or not, I don't think he's as much of a deep threat as he is a YAC guy and I wonder if they utilized him much or at all in the shorter passing game. Basically, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders just didn't use him in their game plans correctly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Raiders are still fans of speed and the big downfield play. Speed or not, I don't think he's as much of a deep threat as he is a YAC guy and I wonder if they utilized him much or at all in the shorter passing game. Basically, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders just didn't use him in their game plans correctly.
Cooper is a guy who can do it all except maybe make the dynamic crazy jump ball catches that Dez made. Any time an outside receiver is catching 70% of the balls thrown his way like Cooper is that's excellent. He is a go to guy on third down when you need to convert. But he also has the speed and tackle breaking ability to go for the big plays. To me Cooper is just the complete package. Maybe he isn't as electric of a route runner as say Antonio Brown but he is still excellent at it.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
My family knows to leave the living room when the game is on. I watch every game sitting in my recliner in the living room all by myself. As it should be.
Yeah, my family doesn’t F with me when I have a game on.

When you’ve been married enough your wide considers game day a time where she gets a break from you. :unsure

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, my family doesn’t F with me when I have a game on.

When you’ve been married enough your wide considers game day a time where she gets a break from you. :unsure
OOoooooh. I'm telling!

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Cooper is a guy who can do it all except maybe make the dynamic crazy jump ball catches that Dez made. Any time an outside receiver is catching 70% of the balls thrown his way like Cooper is that's excellent. He is a go to guy on third down when you need to convert. But he also has the speed and tackle breaking ability to go for the big plays. To me Cooper is just the complete package. Maybe he isn't as electric of a route runner as say Antonio Brown but he is still excellent at it.
And Prescott seems comfortable throwing to him now too. I'm not advocating for the guy but he clearly missed having a trustworthy safety net to help bail him out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And Prescott seems comfortable throwing to him now too. I'm not advocating for the guy but he clearly missed having a trustworthy safety net to help bail him out.
He already looks way more comfortable with Cooper than he ever did with Dez

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can see the chemistry developing as time goes by. And that’s a good thing.
Yeah some QBs just need a legit #1. Dak needs that. It's not a bad thing though. Especially if you don't have to use big resources to get the QB in the first place.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
He missed a couple easy throws, and absolutely killed a couple TD drives with his propensity for holding the ball and/or taking a sack. It didn't help that Tyron was out, but even so a QB can't take sacks like that. The game shouldn't have been close at all, IMO.

It always feels good to beat the Shitskins, and it's even better to see that McCoy isn't taking that team anywhere.
While he will take that inconvenient sack (which is preferable to chancing a pick), the flip side is his ability to scramble and score. All we can hope is that he'll continue to get more comfortable, and we'll see more of the 2016 Dak.

Top Bottom