Troy Aikman calls for big changes to Cowboys organization

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Having lived through the Dallas Cowboys' struggles after three Super Bowl wins in the 1990s and covered the struggles that have continued for the franchise as a broadcaster, Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman said he believes major organizational changes will be needed if the team doesn't turn it around in the second half of the season.

Those changes could include owner and general manager Jerry Jones, the one constant during a parade of coaches. Aikman mentioned the coaches since the Cowboys' last Super Bowl -- Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Bill Parcells, Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett -- none of whom has been able to take the team to an NFC Championship Game, let alone a Super Bowl.

"Go through the list and this team, over a long period of time, has been what it's been," Aikman said on 1310 The Ticket. "It hasn't always mattered who the head coach has been. So to me, if you're asking me, I'd say there has to be a complete overhaul of the entire organization."

Jones has been the general manager since 1989, but he does not operate as a traditional general manager. He leans mostly on executive vice president Stephen Jones, vice president of player personnel Will McClay and Garrett in personnel moves.

"I've heard Jerry say, 'OK, look, we're going to do it differently. I'm going to do it differently,' ... but it's the same. Nothing changes," Aikman said. "And that to me is the bigger issue beyond, yes, coaching is important, personnel, all those things are important, but how are you going about evaluating how you're going about running the organization? Whatever that looks like -- and everyone has an opinion on what it does look like, but I'm not in the building. I have no idea. I talk to people. I talk to people who have been inside the building and have a pretty good understanding how things are run and in a lot of ways there's a lot of dysfunction and that has to change if this team is going to be able to compete on a consistent basis like the teams that you look to around the league that seemingly are in the hunt each and every year."

Aikman is a close friend of Garrett from their years together as Dallas teammates, but he has been critical of Garrett through the years.

Jones said after Monday's 28-14 loss to the Tennessee Titans there was no scenario in which he would make an in-season head coaching change. Since purchasing the team he has done so once, elevating Garrett to the position in 2010 after Phillips got off to a 1-7 start.

Garrett was asked on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas if he was worried about his job.

"I'm just focused on getting our team to play as well as we can play," said Garrett, who has a 70-58 record. "We'll learn from that experience (Monday) and get our eyes forward to Philadelphia.

Aikman said: "I can't think of a loss that was this bad at this point of a year." But he said he does not believe Jones would make a change if the Cowboys finish the season below .500 because he is "comfortable" with Garrett.

"One thing Jerry has done over the years, whether it's been accurate or not, is he's done things to at least give the fan base hope going into the next year," Aikman said.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Well when both of your last two franchise QBs, your soon to be HOF TE, 99.8% of the fanbase, and even Booger McFarland think there's a problem....

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
latest update to Jerry's Christmas Card list

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's why I've always respected Troy.

Unlike the rest of those guys, he doesn't care if he gets to be all chummy with Jerry and will accurately asses the team for what they truly are.

Jerry is the problem and he's not afraid to say it, and that's a big reay why you don't see him sitting in the owner's box every now and again like you do the other guys.

The fact that so many former and current players don't come clean to Jerry is why that shit continues.

Last edited:

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Wow. Coming from Aikman, that's pretty damning. He's been pretty much of a company man when it comes to Jerry. "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" has been the way he treated the topic of Jerry. But to talk about dysfunction and top to bottom change ...

Romo, Witten and everybody else saying the offense is stale, limp, etc., Aikman pointing fingers directly at Jerry. All that's got to be hard for Jerry to ignore.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That's why I've always respected Troy.

Unlike the rest of those guys, he doesn't care if he gets to be all chummy with Jerry and will accurately asses the team for what they truly are.

Jerry is the problem and he's not afraid to say it, and that's a big reay why you don't see him sitting in the owner's box every now and again like you do the other guys.

The fact that so many former and current players don't come clean to Jerry is why that shit continues.
Aikman was always more of a Jimmy Johnson guy. A guy who deeply believed in discipline, hard work, and accountability. So it's really no surprise to me to see him call a spade a spade in this regard.

Hell, he probably still holds a little resentment at Jerry for prematurely running Jimmy off and leaving at least one more SB on the table.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Aikman was always more of a Jimmy Johnson guy. A guy who deeply believed in discipline, hard work, and accountability. So it's really no surprise to me to see him call a spade a spade in this regard.

Hell, he probably still holds a little resentment at Jerry for prematurely running Jimmy off and leaving at least one more SB on the table.
He said in his Football Life episode that he pretty much holds Jerry accountable for the team going to shit and the 2nd half of his career not being a lot of fun.

How the hell is he the only player to have come to this conclusion

Did Romo, Witten, Ware, Emmitt, etc. really not realize while they were still playing that "We're not doing things here like most teams around the league do and that's why we don't win"????

It's baffling to me.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
The Grim Reaper is the only entity that can force Jerry out as Cowboys GM. If he's breathing he won't give it up no matter how heavy the criticism gets.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
If you had a terminal disease and nothing left to lose, would you travel to Dallas and ...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He said in his Football Life episode that he pretty much holds Jerry accountable for the team going to shit and the 2nd half of his career not being a lot of fun.

How the hell is he the only player to have come to this conclusion

Did Romo, Witten, Ware, Emmitt, etc. really not realize while they were still playing that "We're not doing things here like most teams around the league do and that's why we don't win"????

It's baffling to me.
I think they do know it, but they either 1) feel some loyalty to Jerry because he's reportedly so nice to the players and their families or 2) they just don't have the balls Troy does. Troy is that old-school tough as nails country guy who truly doesn't give a shit if you like him or not.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
What does this armchair QB know about it?

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
While I appreciate any and all criticism of Jerry Jones, part of me feels Aikman is probably angling for a role similar to Elway in Denver, or Magic Johnson with the Lakers.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
While I appreciate any and all criticism of Jerry Jones, part of me feels Aikman is probably angling for a role similar to Elway in Denver, or Magic Johnson with the Lakers.
This organization should be so lucky.

Who knows whether or not Aikman has a keen scouting eye, he probably doesn't, but he'd at least bring a common sense, practical philosophy to the organization.

I still believe in McClay but the key at the end of the day is keeping Jerry at bay, and severing the familial like ties he has with the moron head coach.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Doubtful. If he wanted that, he wouldn’t have waited this long. He has a pretty cushy job right now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd bet Witten is off as well if he was trashing the coaching staff last night like I read he was.
He was, he was bitching about the play calling on offense more then I would have ever expected out of Witten. It was a pretty regular theme throughout the game.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
He was, he was bitching about the play calling on offense more then I would have ever expected out of Witten. It was a pretty regular theme throughout the game.
I read that he said something like, "Yeah, I HATED this when I was playing", referring to only going no huddle when you had to.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Does anyone imagine that Aikman's strong statement would have any effect whatsoever on Jerry's thinking?

Top Bottom