Cowboys fire OL coach Paul Alexander, name successor

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Garrett clearly used the assistants as scapegoats after last season, I think this firing might be an indication that Garrett actually will be on the chopping block if we continue to flounder.

As an aside, this isn't 1998, teams aren't strictly zone or gap blocking these days. It's definitely a spectrum as far as certain teams leaning one way or the other but every team in the league is utilizing both zone and gap runs, so I wouldn't worry about "switching schemes" or anything like that.
The problem is can you use a position coach you just hired as a scapegoat? He sort of used our previous O-line coach as a scapegoat too. It's hard to scapegoat the guy who you just brought in to turn things around. Sort of brings your judgement into question.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah. The Houck thing definitely tempers my enthusiasm.
whatta ya figure Houck has been up to these last few years? Working up schemes in between shuffleboard and bingo sessions?

DLK150

DCC 4Life

:unsure
I didn't hear about that part, color me unimpressed despite Poodle's endorsement. Maybe because of it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't hear about that part, color me unimpressed despite Poodle's endorsement. Maybe because of it.
I'm not even sure what a consultant does. So I'm not really that worried. This is on Colombo if he sinks or swims.

Last edited:

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm not even sure what a consultant does. So I'm not really that worried. This is on Colombo if he sinks he swims.
You see that consultant title tossed around all the time, offense, defense, ST, etc. Probably just sticks his nose in during meetings and points out something he thinks he sees on tape or something like that. I agree it's on Colombo.

p1_

DCC 4Life

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
*The Teflon coach finds another scapegoat.
At least it’s mid season, and this change needed to be made.

Of course the Joneses won’t dare ask the more important question: “Why the fuck was he here to begin with??”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Of course the Joneses won’t dare ask the more important question: “Why the fuck was he here to begin with??”
Yep Garrett hired the man. He can't really throw him under the bus now.

deadrise

DCC 4Life

Good question, and obvious. Why would a team hire a position coach whose players have underperformed for an extended period? And hire the underperforming position coach from a team that's never been anything other than mediocre?

Someone made the decision to hire Alexander. Who? Garrett?

GShock

DCC 4Life
This is really setting up to be something for Garrett the rest of the season. Jerry clearly isn't happy. He also won't be happy to have to eat the last year of Garrett's contract if he fires him.

And we would have to hire a coach with the double whammy of "here's your QB that you have to make functional for a year and no first round pick" on top of the usual "you have to accept the administrative dysfunction around here." That's a lot to ask.

8-8 with no playoffs, Jerry. Whaddya do?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Jerry's giving Red all the rope he needs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is really setting up to be something for Garrett the rest of the season. Jerry clearly isn't happy. He also won't be happy to have to eat the last year of Garrett's contract if he fires him.

And we would have to hire a coach with the double whammy of "here's your QB that you have to make functional for a year and no first round pick" on top of the usual "you have to accept the administrative dysfunction around here." That's a lot to ask.

8-8 with no playoffs, Jerry. Whaddya do?
Eat one year of a contract? We all know Jerry hates the idea of letting his head coach go into the last year of the contract with no extension. So honestly he either gets extended or fired after this season. I see no other way Jerry will do it. I know Jerry has mentioned before what a bad idea he thinks it is to have a coach in the last year of a contract coaching the team. That it basically shows no faith in the coach and such.

p1_

DCC 4Life

shoop

Semi-contributing member
ByPATRIK WALKER 14 minutes ago

For all that is holy. If you are a professional learn how to spell check and use grammar.

Good call booze. Good move promoting Colombo imo. Not so sold on houck.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life

Top Bottom