Site upgrade

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, as most know we have been experiencing some security and performance issues with the site. I called GoDaddy and apparently the site has some malware. What caused this was our version of PHP is way out of date. They are not doing updates to this version, so our only other choice really is to upgrade to a newer version of PHP. Unfortunately, this will not be a free upgrade. So, as a board we have a choice. Just the simple upgrade to version 5 is $209. Our other option is the upgrade to version 5 plus a mobility suite which would also give us our own app. That is $359. Both of these are one time costs. I like the idea of having an app when we are on our phone, but we are going to have to ask the members to chip in for us to be able to do this, so we will let you all decide which direction we go. Any and all donations would be obviously put towards this and greatly appreciated. But first, let's decide which of the two options we want.

Thanks,
Cotton

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, as most know we have been experiencing some security and performance issues with the site. I called GoDaddy and apparently the site has some malware. What caused this was our version of PHP is way out of date. They are not doing updates to this version, so our only other choice really is to upgrade to a newer version of PHP. Unfortunately, this will not be a free upgrade. So, as a board we have a choice. Just the simple upgrade to version 5 is $209. Our other option is the upgrade to version 5 plus a mobility suite which would also give us our own app. That is $359. Both of these are one time costs. I like the idea of having an app when we are on our phone, but we are going to have to ask the members to chip in for us to be able to do this, so we will let you all decide which direction we go. Any and all donations would be obviously put towards this and greatly appreciated. But first, let's decide which of the two options we want.

Thanks,
Cotton
The mobile site currently sucks. Do you know if the app will be better than that? If not I'd go with the cheaper option.

Cotton

Staff member
The mobile site currently sucks. Do you know if the app will be better than that? If not I'd go with the cheaper option.
Well, it wouldn't just be a mobile site. It would be an actual app.

Cotton

Staff member
What will this be? DCC V?
My understanding is nothing will be lost. They will simply move all of our content to the new version.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'm good with whichever

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, it wouldn't just be a mobile site. It would be an actual app.
Yeah I'm just wondering if the app will be similar to the mobile site. I literally turned the mobile version off on my phone because it doesn't function properly when you try to edit posts. I guess it's hard to say if the app would be useful or not without knowing about it's functionality.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah I'm just wondering if the app will be similar to the mobile site. I literally turned the mobile version off on my phone because it doesn't function properly when you try to edit posts. I guess it's hard to say if the app would be useful or not without knowing about it's functionality.
I would assume it would be better, because our current version doesn't even have mobile suite. You aren't looking at an app. You are looking at a mobile version of the website. And, yes, it is terrible.

You can read about it at https://www.vbulletin.com/en/mobile/.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Whatever you guys want I’m in for. Lemme know and I’ll count my quarters. I’m not @poor currently so...

midswat

... soon
Misleading thread title. Thought this was going to be [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] announcing he’s deleting his account.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Thread title needs to read:

Click The Donate Button, Assholes

Cotton

Staff member
Wow, we already have $90 of what is needed. You dudes are awesome. I think the mobile suite would be really cool. I will wait for more to chime in before we do anything. Also, any and all donations are greatly appreciated. Thank you to [MENTION=19]skidadl[/MENTION] for his donation.

Cotton

Staff member
Also, thank you to [MENTION=20]Angrymesscan[/MENTION], and [MENTION=49]fortsbest[/MENTION] for donating before I even posted this. Gracias and thank you.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
One small request from my end.

If possible, is there any way to designate the site as simply a "sports" site? I work on a military base and the site is blocked from my office computer because the site is designated as "sports and recreation" or something to that nature. I can get the exact wording on Monday.

I can visit Cowboys Zone just fine but the DCC is blocked because the base's network infrastructure filters out games and recreation sites.

Top Bottom