Do Cowboys need to consider firing OL coach Paul Alexander?

p1_

DCC 4Life
By: K.D. Drummond | 2 hours ago

Thus far, the Dallas Cowboys’ 2018 season has been a herky-jerky ride that has left the organization at a crossroads.

Does Dallas need to consider firing OL coach Paul Alexander?

The Cowboys were credited with having one of the best, if not the best, offensive lines in football leading into the year. However, their performance so far this season has not lived up to the lofty national reputation from pundits. There are indications the decision to part ways with former coach Frank Pollack and the subsequent hiring of Alexander from Cincinnati has backfired somewhat in that the regression is palpable and obvious to see each week.

This season, the line is ranked just No. 13 in Adjusted Line Yards, a measure of how much impact the group has on the team’s rushing attack, and all the way down at No. 27 in Adjusted Sack Rate, which puts QB takedowns in relation to drop backs.

Last year they were fourth and 15th, respectively. In 2016 they were fourth and 13th.

Conversely, the Bengals moved from No. 20 in 2017 to currently No. 8 in adjusted sack rate with Alexander gone. They were No. 26 in 2016. Their new OL coach? Pollack.

In fairness, coping with the loss of All-Pro center Travis Frederick has been difficult. That stated, there still is the deterioration of the line’s ability to hold the point versus the pass rush and that has led to anxiety from their quarterback. The run game has also been impacted in terms of consistent productivity. Part of the struggles could be pinned directly to Alexander who changed the blocking scheme from Pollack’s zone preference to his own, power blocking scheme. Tyron Smith has looked very ordinary with his technique and even the nearly flawless Zack Martin has appeared mortal at times.

To this observer, the line looks uncomfortable and disjointed with aspects of the power scheme, namely down blocking and gap assignments. The team does have an in-house option in Marc Colombo who could be elevated and perhaps bring back the zone concepts the linemen appear to prefer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
By: K.D. Drummond | 2 hours ago

Thus far, the Dallas Cowboys’ 2018 season has been a herky-jerky ride that has left the organization at a crossroads.

Does Dallas need to consider firing OL coach Paul Alexander?

The Cowboys were credited with having one of the best, if not the best, offensive lines in football leading into the year. However, their performance so far this season has not lived up to the lofty national reputation from pundits. There are indications the decision to part ways with former coach Frank Pollack and the subsequent hiring of Alexander from Cincinnati has backfired somewhat in that the regression is palpable and obvious to see each week.

This season, the line is ranked just No. 13 in Adjusted Line Yards, a measure of how much impact the group has on the team’s rushing attack, and all the way down at No. 27 in Adjusted Sack Rate, which puts QB takedowns in relation to drop backs.

Last year they were fourth and 15th, respectively. In 2016 they were fourth and 13th.

Conversely, the Bengals moved from No. 20 in 2017 to currently No. 8 in adjusted sack rate with Alexander gone. They were No. 26 in 2016. Their new OL coach? Pollack.

In fairness, coping with the loss of All-Pro center Travis Frederick has been difficult. That stated, there still is the deterioration of the line’s ability to hold the point versus the pass rush and that has led to anxiety from their quarterback. The run game has also been impacted in terms of consistent productivity. Part of the struggles could be pinned directly to Alexander who changed the blocking scheme from Pollack’s zone preference to his own, power blocking scheme. Tyron Smith has looked very ordinary with his technique and even the nearly flawless Zack Martin has appeared mortal at times.

To this observer, the line looks uncomfortable and disjointed with aspects of the power scheme, namely down blocking and gap assignments. The team does have an in-house option in Marc Colombo who could be elevated and perhaps bring back the zone concepts the linemen appear to prefer.
Nah it's not his fault that the best player on the line got some obscure illness.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Nah it's not his fault that the best player on the line got some obscure illness.
Or that he's having to play an undersized rookie, or that Tyron might have lost a half-step.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or that he's having to play an undersized rookie, or that Tyron might have lost a half-step.
And Looney is playing I think better than we all could have expected. He needs to get the road thing figured the fuck out but that's about it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
you have to admit, this thing ain't what it used to be. It doesnt help Zeke or Dak much lately.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
you have to admit, this thing ain't what it used to be. It doesnt help Zeke or Dak much lately.
Some games it does. Against the Jags our pass protection couldn't be better. Against the Lions our run blocking was unstoppable. The run blocking was great against the Seahawks.

It's just so inconsistent.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
No, but that's the way it goes in this league and sport. That's why you can't piss away years where you have the best OL in football -- because those times won't last forever.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Every offensive line endures injuries or shake-ups over time. I notice that despite an offensive line that's undergone a fair amount of reshuffling, the Skins offensive line, under Bill Callahan, did a decent job of stuffing the Dallas pass rush and opening holes. Callahan lost a power struggle Jason Carot and was shown the door.

Now they get swap Pollack for Alexander and the performance of the two lines gets reversed. Alexander subs his scheme for Pollack's and things go to to shit. That'a gotta be the coaching.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Every offensive line endures injuries or shake-ups over time. I notice that despite an offensive line that's undergone a fair amount of reshuffling, the Skins offensive line, under Bill Callahan, did a decent job of stuffing the Dallas pass rush and opening holes. Callahan lost a power struggle Jason Carot and was shown the door.

Now they get swap Pollack for Alexander and the performance of the two lines gets reversed. Alexander subs his scheme for Pollack's and things go to to shit. That'a gotta be the coaching.
Well I'd trade Callahan back if I could. I think he is excellent.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Well I'd trade Callahan back if I could. I think he is excellent.
They ran well against us, and David Irving got a sack that was more of a tackle behind the line. We didn't get to Smith at all.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I don't think this is all on Alexander, the OL is depleted by injury or just plain bad. It certainly isn't the OL from last season or the season before.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I nearly replied to this thread earlier that I thought I read this somewhere with your name on it.
KD credited me on Twitter.

I PMed him about it. Might have been an honest mistake.

We'll see.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
KD credited me on Twitter.

I PMed him about it. Might have been an honest mistake.

We'll see.
Props, though.

It's a testament to the quality of your work.

Well done, Boozer.

Top Bottom