Jerry pulls trigger for Cooper

p1_

DCC 4Life
The same Ron Leary who is out for the year with a torn achilles and who definitely could never play the harder tackle position in the NFL?

You guys act like Collins is garbage because he's not Tyron Smith in his prime.
His injury has no bearing on his ability. He plays guard better than Collins has played tackle IMO. Our best lineman plays guard as well, so don’t try to diminish the position.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know exactly what the something bigger is. The smartest player on the line and the one in charge of making adjustments to protection and blocking schemes, even over Dak Prescott, is out for the year.

The line is having breakdowns in communication. Much harder for them on the road than at home.
Well that is what I have said as well. There was a hold by Tyron that killed a big pass play against the Skins. When you watched it closely though Tyron was clearly confused. He started inside to block and then realized the guard had him and then tried to recover to block the end. He was late and was forced to hold. That's something that should have easily been called out before the ball was snapped. Everyone should have known who they were getting. But it was like Tyron was confused on the protection. It wasn't that Smith couldn't block Preston Smith. But the missteps made him look bad. It's why I don't buy this concept that he is suddenly washed up.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
His injury has no bearing on his ability. He plays guard better than Collins has played tackle IMO. Our best lineman plays guard as well, so don’t try to diminish the position.
I'm just saying you are slightly comparing apples and oranges.

I don't think Leary is as good as Collins, frankly. I think you are misremembering that this guy lost his job. Leary had a good year, but also had his up and down moments. This is a "grass in always greener" scenario.

Collins isn't the "fourth all-star" on the OL we were daydreaming of when he signed here with us, but nonetheless he's a solid second tackle.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Well that is what I have said as well. There was a hold by Tyron that killed a big pass play against the Skins. When you watched it closely though Tyron was clearly confused. He started inside to block and then realized the guard had him and then tried to recover to block the end. He was late and was forced to hold. That's something that should have easily been called out before the ball was snapped. Everyone should have known who they were getting. But it was like Tyron was confused on the protection. It wasn't that Smith couldn't block Preston Smith. But the missteps made him look bad. It's why I don't buy this concept that he is suddenly washed up.
Don’t forget he missed time last year with a bad back. That didn’t go away .

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yup.

I think people are sleepwalking on that injury because they don't see Looney getting blown up at the point of attack or whipped in pass protection. But he's no Travis Frederick. You are seeing it in the effectiveness in pass blocking and our struggles in run blocking. And it's compounded double on the road.

That bearded motherfucker needs to get back.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Leary was seriously underrated by fans.

But it was like Tyron was confused on the protection. It wasn't that Smith couldn't block Preston Smith. But the missteps made him look bad. It's why I don't buy this concept that he is suddenly washed up.
Is it "suddenly", though? He didn't look good at times the last half of last year, either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup.

I think people are sleepwalking on that injury because they don't see Looney getting blown up at the point of attack or whipped in pass protection. But he's no Travis Frederick. You are seeing it in the effectiveness in pass blocking and our struggles in run blocking. And it's compounded double on the road.

That bearded motherfucker needs to get back.
It has to be difficult for guys on the left side of the line to see Martin making the calls on the right side. Visually the center is blocking their sight line. Audibly in a noisy place they can't hear it. There is a reason why centers usually make the line call. They are easiest for all the lineman to see and hear. We really do miss that bearded fuck. I hope to see him back this season. If for no other reason than we don't have to talk all offseason about replacing him or not.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Speaking of which, I know, privacy and all, but you think these journalists could do a little better than "Frederick still doesn't know when he will be back" articles once a month?

How about probing that a little more? This guy must be getting seen by the best doctors in the world regularly. They have NO updates? They have NO guesses? Is he getting worse? Has it stabilized? Are we in a waiting pattern? Can a doctor describe to us how long that is likely to take before they know more?

Sports journalism is really falling off with the advent of twitter taking over for publications like the DMN.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Leary was seriously underrated by fans.
I would agree with this. But that's usually the way it goes while the player is here.

Just like now that he's gone, he's being seriously overrated by fans. Helps with the underrating of the player that replaced them.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The defense is already pretty much one of the best.
Right, but we didn't know that when the trade was being discussed.

I'm glad we didn't trade for Earl, but I also wish we had a 1st rounder for this upcoming draft.

We may need a LT.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There's a reason Prescott is getting sacked 4-5 times a game on the road and 3 times or less at home, there's a reason basically the entire offense called out "communication" on the road as a major source of the struggles last week, and I'm guessing not having Frederick is a big part of that.

Prescott and the offensive coaches could certainly be doing more as well but I'm guessing if Frederick were around the OL would look much better, even with Smith not being what he once was, with Collins being maddeningly inconsistent and with Williams being light in the ass.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Which is to say nothing of Joe Looney. He’s doing well as a backup center. We need to really consider that Fred could be done, at least beyond this year if not entirely.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Right, but we didn't know that when the trade was being discussed.

I'm glad we didn't trade for Earl, but I also wish we had a 1st rounder for this upcoming draft.

We may need a LT.
I think Tyron will continue to play for a while.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Can anyone post Bob Sturm's breakdown of this trade from the Athletic? Apparently it's favorable at least in terms of the player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which is to say nothing of Joe Looney. He’s doing well as a backup center. We need to really consider that Fred could be done, at least beyond this year if not entirely.
This is why I hope he returns this year. I want clarity going into the offseason.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

Im thinking Dak never throws this pass, regardless of how good Cooper is.
Did you miss Sunday's game? Dak threw a similar pass to Hurns in a tight window late in the 3rd qtr that Hurns flat out dropped.

Some of you guys are flat out ridiculous with your Dak hate.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Did you miss Sunday's game? Dak threw a similar pass to Hurns in a tight window late in the 3rd qtr that Hurns flat out dropped.

Some of you guys are flat out ridiculous with your Dak hate.
I somehow missed that play, along with his signature play, the dreaded stripsackscore. Yet, as we’ve seen as nauseum, Dak missed an opportunity at a 90 plus yard pass play to A wide open Gallup. Hate earned.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I somehow missed that play, along with his signature play, the dreaded stripsackscore. Yet, as we’ve seen as nauseum, Dak missed an opportunity at a 90 plus yard pass play to A wide open Gallup. Hate earned.
Doesn't change the fact that you are making irrationally wrong statements about the player. You said he never makes a certain type of throw. I pointed out that he does in fact make those throws from time to time.

The results have varied due to Dak's shortcomings, the receivers shortcomings, and the OL derailing drives with poor blocking and costly penalties.

Hate to break it to you, but Dak's not 100% at fault for this train wreck. Spread the hate.

p1_

DCC 4Life
You said he never makes a certain type of throw.
What I was trying to say is that, in that replay, Cooper was well covered (3 guys on him). Dak is risk averse, and doesn't like to take that kind of chance with the ball.
Not to mention that Ive been pointing fingers at other failings of this offense too; I have spread the hate to multiple parties.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Note the Linehan reference regarding Cooper's previous coordinators.

Oh, and Jane Slater. :hawfap

Top Bottom