Jerry pulls trigger for Cooper

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting.

The most non-Cowboys program in the NFL happens to be one of the best.

WHOTTA FUCKIN' SHOCKER
Yeah this was from when Reid was the Eagles coach and had never won shit. So not exactly true at the time.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah this was from when Reid was the Eagles coach and had never won shit. So not exactly true at the time.
Yep wasn't endorsing his whole statement, had just remembered reading this yrs ago and thought he had said wouldnt ever work for Jerry.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Exactly. And what finally got Philly over the hump? A couple of star DL, mega-FA WR, and trade up for a star QB.

Hell the only time they whiffed a championship under Reid was when they brought in the ultimate star in TO.

You can’t win in the NFL without star talent, period.

You just can’t totally fucking ignore all the other positions while lavishing gifts and privilege on a few.

shane

DCC 4Life
Harbaugh is a major league dick and as a Michigan State alum, I hate the man on a personal level. But he would be the perfect guy to mold Dak IMO. He could accentuate his strengths and hide his weaknesses better than anyone.

But realistically, the best we could hope for is someone who is competent that knows how to placate Jerry.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Found what I was thinking of, I was wrong he doesn't explicitly say he wouldn't work for him

"Why is that? Because what Andy Reid and his program stand for is the opposite of what the Cowboys stand for. The Cowboys are a star system. It's all about building around individuals first and collecting talent, collecting great players. Andy has always been about building a team. And over the long haul, it's a team sport, and one of the greatest examples of that is what's happened with the Eagles and the Cowboys over the last 10 years. The Cowboys stand for everything that's wrong with the NFL."

https://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Harbaugh-The-Cowboys-Are-Everything-Wrong-With-The-NFL-69394642.html
He makes some valid points. Kinda highlights why this team tends to crater whenever a star player misses time. Falling apart and not being competitive when your QB is out is understandable, but there's no excuse for looking completely lost just because a you a "non-QB" player is out of the lineup.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Exactly. And what finally got Philly over the hump? A couple of star DL, mega-FA WR, and trade up for a star QB.

Hell the only time they whiffed a championship under Reid was when they brought in the ultimate star in TO.

You can’t win in the NFL without star talent, period.

You just can’t totally fucking ignore all the other positions while lavishing gifts and privilege on a few.
I think you're reading into his comments a little too literally. Of course you need talent to win in the NFL. I doubt he's implying that a team of JAGs can be plugged into an Andy Reid system and be successful.

I think he's saying that Reid does a great job getting the most out of the talent that he has, and he has a system that emphasizes putting players in positions to succeed.

Whereas in Dallas it feels like that's complete opposite. One of our major gripes about Garrett and Linehan is that their system is too simple and relies too much on the player having to out-talent the guy in front of them. I don't know if that's because the Cowboys coaches are dumb, lazy, or a combination of the two.

Regardless of the timing of Harbaugh's comment, I think they're very accurate.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think you're reading into his comments a little too literally. Of course you need talent to win in the NFL. I doubt he's implying that a team of JAGs can be plugged into an Andy Reid system and be successful.

I think he's saying that Reid does a great job getting the most out of the talent that he has, and he has a system that emphasizes putting players in positions to succeed.

Whereas in Dallas it feels like that's complete opposite. One of our major gripes about Garrett and Linehan is that their system is too simple and relies too much on the player having to out-talent the guy in front of them.
Garrett/Linehan are also seen as being rigid in their philosophy. Guys have to execute the system, and the system can't adjust to play to the strengths of the players.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

So we basically gave up a first for this?

p1_

DCC 4Life

So we basically gave up a first for this?
Hes the anti-Dez.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the biggest impact of Cooper. He either catches the first downs or he helps draw attention so guys like Beasley and Gallup can convert them. It's a big deal even though some who look at Cooper's pure numbers and don't think he is having a massive impact.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is the biggest impact of Cooper. He either catches the first downs or he helps draw attention so guys like Beasley and Gallup can convert them. It's a big deal even though some who look at Cooper's pure numbers and don't think he is having a massive impact.
Yep. A guy like Dak had no chance without him loosening coverages. Even with Zeke and some good blocking up front, defenses could load up against us.

Now they have to at least think Dallas might throw a pass beyond 10 yards.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. A guy like Dak had no chance without him loosening coverages. Even with Zeke and some good blocking up front, defenses could load up against us.

Now they have to at least think Dallas might throw a pass beyond 10 yards.
And with Coopers route running he is able to get so much separation that the throws aren't really that difficult. So teams are forced to either double team him or give up the easy completion. It's something we needed. And honestly when you draft like 1 WR every decade it's hard to just get by with middle round draft picks.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It remains an overpay, but it’s a testament to what a real outside WR who actually commands attention can do — like he has done or like Dez used to do.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It remains an overpay, but it’s a testament to what a real outside WR who actually commands attention can do — like he has done or like Dez used to do.
Yeah I mean I didn't want to give up a first. But that doesn't change the fact that he is a really good receiver who is helping this team win games.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Not even close to an overpay. We get a two time pro bowler and top five pick at age 24 before his rookie contract ends.

If Dallas makes the playoffs (big if, but not implausible in the NFC Least) it will be because of Cooper

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not even close to an overpay. We get a two time pro bowler and top five pick at age 24 before his rookie contract ends.

If Dallas makes the playoffs (big if, but not implausible in the NFC Least) it will be because of Cooper
Cooper has made plays in these last three games to help us keep drives alive and score. If he wasn't here those plays don't happen with Hurns or whoever the shit we are throwing out there.

Top Bottom