Jerry pulls trigger for Cooper

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Having a boatload of elite receivers will not improve the accuracy of a quarterbacks arm.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
And like 4 inches.
2 inches. But Julio can outleap both Dez and Cooper. However Cooper had a really good 20 yard shuttle time which according to the gurus is why he is so good at the short area separation. Plus he can run by a lot of CB's with the 4.4 speed. If we get the original Cooper, that is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 inches. But Julio can outleap both Dez and Cooper. However Cooper had a really good 20 yard shuttle time which according to the gurus is why he is so good at the short area separation. Plus he can run by a lot of CB's with the 4.4 speed. If we get the original Cooper, that is.
I was thinking Julio is 6'5" for some reason. He just looks so big when you watch him.

But I agree, Cooper is explosive. He also is capable of making the simple catch a big play. He runs hard. He is actually capable of breaking tackles and going the distance.

To me I'm just hopeful this is the end of running 5 WRs out there in a rotation. We can narrow it down to Gallup, Beasley and Cooper now. Let Dak build a rhythm with these guys. And now we have big play ability and good size in both outside receivers. I hope Dak is able to build some continuity and connection now.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Well if we can get past the price of the trade, which is granted pretty difficult, we should really think about the logistics of this player on this team.

Cooper is a route runner and can get separation like no-one on this roster. Also his speed prevents CBs from eating up the separation after his cuts (unlike Beasley).

He is a deep threat and I think this also fits as we have a QB who actually throws a damn good deep ball.

The guy is tallish at 6'1" but is thickly built. He can go up and high point a ball.

The timing of the trade is ideal. He is coming in right at the bye. This will give him 2 weeks to learn the playbook and get up to speed. Obviously he probably won't be able to fully digest it but they can certainly make sure he can learn the bread and butter stuff.

Now here is the question, how similar is the Oakland offense to ours? Is it a timing offense (Zampese) or WCO? Will the transition and terminology be similar? Just curious as this isn't really discussed.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I was thinking Julio is 6'5" for some reason. He just looks so big when you watch him.

But I agree, Cooper is explosive. He also is capable of making the simple catch a big play. He runs hard. He is actually capable of breaking tackles and going the distance.

To me I'm just hopeful this is the end of running 5 WRs out there in a rotation. We can narrow it down to Gallup, Beasley and Cooper now. Let Dak build a rhythm with these guys. And now we have big play ability and good size in both outside receivers. I hope Dak is able to build some continuity and connection now.
I would still trot out Hurns. He plays better out of the slot anyway. They should use him there sometimes.

UncleMilti

Staff member

Theres no excuse for Dak and Garrett now. I'm not sold on Dak seeing the entire field, and I'm done with Garrett because of the idiotic in game decisions.

Can Cooper draw enough respect from DC's to make a difference is really the question.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I would still trot out Hurns. He plays better out of the slot anyway. They should use him there sometimes.
I'd cut Hurns. He's stealing money and reps at this point. Cooper, Gallup, and Beasley should be our main three seeing the field. When we go to a 4th WR on the field, it can be Thompson and his speed for the time being. At least he offers that. Hurns doesn't even offer that much. When Austin comes back, he and his speed can replace Thompson.

Stop thinking every damn WR on the team needs equal reps. Dak is struggling enough. Let him try and build some chemistry with the top three.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Well if we can get past the price of the trade, which is granted pretty difficult, we should really think about the logistics of this player on this team.

Cooper is a route runner and can get separation like no-one on this roster. Also his speed prevents CBs from eating up the separation after his cuts (unlike Beasley).

He is a deep threat and I think this also fits as we have a QB who actually throws a damn good deep ball.

The guy is tallish at 6'1" but is thickly built. He can go up and high point a ball.

The timing of the trade is ideal. He is coming in right at the bye. This will give him 2 weeks to learn the playbook and get up to speed. Obviously he probably won't be able to fully digest it but they can certainly make sure he can learn the bread and butter stuff.

Now here is the question, how similar is the Oakland offense to ours? Is it a timing offense (Zampese) or WCO? Will the transition and terminology be similar? Just curious as this isn't really discussed.
Greg Olson and Linehan have history together. The transition should be relatively smooth. I imagine Linehan was lobbying hard for Cooper.

midswat

... soon
You just know the rest of the league is shitting itself at the reality of pairing a talent like Amari with the creative genius of Garrett.

deadrise

DCC 4Life

In Garrett's offense he'll only have to learn two or three routes. That shouldn't take too long.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yep. This still pisses me off.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Another thing, his 2016 breakout year QB Carr threw the ball better than Dak ever has. I don't know what's happened to Carr since then, but that Carr was really good.

I just can't shake the thought of those all-22-type screenshots of guys open and Dak not seeing them. In that case what difference does it make how good your WRs are?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another thing, his 2016 breakout year QB Carr threw the ball better than Dak ever has. I don't know what's happened to Carr since then, but that Carr was really good.

I just can't shake the thought of those all-22-type screenshots of guys open and Dak not seeing them. In that case what difference does it make how good your WRs are?
I think you're being deceived by a few plays a game. Guys aren't running wide open on a regular basis.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

The flip side of this argument is what would happen if Cooper is the target on some of these 3rd down drops that Prescott has fit in over the season?

I can think of at least 2 against the Redskins that were dropped, one by Thompson that hit him in the chest and another by Hurns that was in a bit of a crowd but was still a catchable ball. Maybe Cooper still drops them, God knows he has the propensity to do so, but maybe he hauls them in and those are 2 drives that are kept alive out of what, 10 or 11.

Then there's also the unknown factor of how much his presence will open things up for Beasley.

I'm not optimistic, and giving up a 1st is still completely idiotic, but there are arguments both ways.

UncleMilti

Staff member

I think you're being deceived by a few plays a game. Guys aren't running wide open on a regular basis.

Its a valid point though. Unfortunately, from what I've seen the few open WR's he didn't see probably wins a couple extra games so far this season for Dallas.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I read an article somewhere in which the writer speculated that the addition of Cooper puts added pressure on Jason Carot. Jerry's mortgaging the farm, so to speak, to salvage THIS SEASON -- not for next season.

No playoffs, no Carot. If that's true I'm all for the Cooper trade, boneheaded as it may be.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its a valid point though. Unfortunately, from what I've seen the few open WR's he didn't see probably wins a couple extra games so far this season for Dallas.
It's a valid point but it needs to be put in perspective. How does it compare with other NFL QBs? Because I'm not sure I've watched an NFL game where a QB didn't miss an open receiver on a play. So is Dak doing it at an alarming rate and is holding the receivers back? Or is Dak missing open guys on a rate similar to other QBs? I honestly don't know.

But it's also why every NFL QB believes they can get better. Because they all leave some plays on the field. And Dak definitely did against the Skins. Even though he generally threw the ball well.

Top Bottom