p1_

DCC 4Life

p1_

DCC 4Life

p1_

DCC 4Life

vince

Not So New Member
Per Mike Fisher, Tavon Austin more serious than what's being reported. Sean Lee limited today and is a 50/50 on playing this Sunday.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not 100% sure that Vander Esche and Jaylon Smith aren't already better than Lee.

Now.... I'm not saying that they are. I'm just not certain that they're not.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not 100% sure that Vander Esche and Jaylon Smith aren't already better than Lee.

They are definitely better in their own way. They are bigger, faster and stronger for sure. They don't have the mental ability of Lee. I'm sure they don't recognize things as quickly as him and they probably don't diagnose plays before the snap the way he does. But I'd be hesitant to take any significant snaps away from our two youngsters. I mean LVE is literally performing better than any of the other rookie LBers I can think of and I expect that to continue. And Jaylon is just a beast all around. I'd rotate Lee in sparingly using him more for his ability to run the defense and line guys up and sort of trying to save him physically as much as possible. No reason to get him hurt again rushing him back to the field and asking him to play a bunch of snaps.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Smith might be given his explosiveness and ability to blitz but Vander Esch isn't just yet, maybe by the end of the year. I still think Lee comes back and makes a huge impact though.

Feels pretty awesome to think about those two being a Kuechly/Davis type of pairing for the next 8+ years.

I guess we don't have to worry about hearing any more Bobby Carpenter comparisons.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Per Mike Fisher, Tavon Austin more serious than what's being reported. Sean Lee limited today and is a 50/50 on playing this Sunday.
Yeah I think Austin could be out for awhile. I'm guessing somewhere in the range of 6 games.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I really hope we can manage to replace the 15-20 snaps per game that Austin gives us.

p1_

DCC 4Life

the mere speculation speaks to the strength.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Skins were without two big weapons last week (Crowder and Thompson). I wonder if they'll be back.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

At this point, no because neither has his read and react ability but one is essentially a second year player getting into his comfort zone and the other is a rook. Give them some time and they might be though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really hope we can manage to replace the 15-20 snaps per game that Austin gives us.
We vastly underused him but his deep speed is legit. And he does really well on the jet sweeps. There were at least two more passes if thrown accurately could have been TDs. We legitimately have no one else with deep speed. I know most on here will laugh at me for it but I'd use Butler as my deep speed guy. He is the only one who can do anything close to taking the top off a defense. And if last year is any indication he and Dak have a pretty good connection. I'd start using a lot of Butler and Gallup on the outside with Beasley on the inside. Thompson runs a nice forty but I haven't seen the ability to separate deep out of him and he doesn't have the ability to climb the ladder like Butler does.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At this point, no because neither has his read and react ability but one is essentially a second year player getting into his comfort zone and the other is a rook. Give them some time and they might be though.
That's true but most of what we have seen out of Lee this year has been a step slow. He just doesn't have the ability to cover ground the way the two young guys do.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jaylon has the speed to make up for any deficit he might have in read/react. Smith is bare minimum as good as Lee right now, and an argument could be made for better.

p1_

DCC 4Life

p1_

DCC 4Life
too bad I don't see Chido's name listed with those others. What a nice unit this is.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
That's true but most of what we have seen out of Lee this year has been a step slow. He just doesn't have the ability to cover ground the way the two young guys do.
Which is to be expected, he's a senior in NFL terms.

Top Bottom