Names of Potential Garrett replacement coaches being bandied about....

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Jerry was on his best behavior when Bill was here, but he couldn't wait for him to leave. He was tired of "walking on egg shells."
I think more is made of that than people think.

Yes, Jerry probably didn't like having to tone it down, but it's not like he was completely left out of everything -- see the signing of T.O. and the drafting of Newman, for example.

Furthermore, he was very open about wanting Parcells to return in 2007 and even wanted to extend his contract.

In the end, both men speak very fondly of each other which is why I believe Jerry could work with a real coach again, but he has to WANT to do that. And in order for him to want to do that, even if begrudgingly, the Cowboys have to be put into a position where it forces his hand to appease the fanbase.

I think he enjoyed working more with Parcells than he thought he would. He'll never admit that he doesn't know shit, but I think that because he is such a football dummy, it resulted in him enjoying his work relationship with Parcells because he learned a lot from that experience. I think it could be a similar relationship and experience the next time around if he hires the right guy, we just have to hope he gets put in the position to have to do it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

So not well-rounded.

He could run this play, right now with our current personnel and pull it off.
This is one of the staples of the Sooners' offense. I think we run some variation of this play 2 or 3 times per game. I don't recall it ever failing.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Yeah and I don't think he is a very good offensive coordinator so there is that.

Give me the Chiefs offensive coordinator if anything. The guy knows how to run an aggressive offense, sets up easy passes and knows how to pound the ball. I love what the Chiefs are doing this year under the guy.
I think that's more Andy than anything...

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Marvin Lewis gets fired by Cincinnati, Jerry hires him, makes Jim Caldwell OC.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Per Jerry --

"Listen, Jason Garrett, he is absolutely the real deal. There's no fraud in Jason Garrett," Jones said in reference to how Garrett deals with the media, before dovetailing into the coach's performance on the whole.

"The main thing everybody ought to know is how hard he works. You say, 'well, that's not enough, we all work hard.' But he works very hard. He's got outstanding background in our game. He's gained a Harvard or whatever kind of degree, the best in the world in the NFL, through being the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. And I want to put all of that together and use it.

"Now, does he have some things that others may do better, or does he have some things that he could do better? Of course. But what we've got here is an asset that I think will get us to where we want to go, and that's a championship."

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Ed Werder and Mike Fisher have both tweeted a list with numerous names, both of which included Jack Del Rio. Fish's included John Fox.

If it's either of them, I'm officially done with this shit show.

I have a sneaky suspicion we're going to just keep kicking the can down the road and end up promoting Richard to HC.
I'd take Richard before loser Del Rio or John Fox.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Why do you think Harbaugh isn't an X and O guy? Former QB, QB coach (When Gannon made it to the Superbowl with the Raiders), and immediately turned the 49ers around. He made Kaepernick look like a respectable NFL QB for gods sake.

The guy has spun shit QBs in to gold everywhere he has gone. I'd be all for it even though the guy is an asshole.
John is the current Ravens coach. Jim,The one you are thinking of is the current Michigan coach.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Why do you think Harbaugh isn't an X and O guy? Former QB, QB coach (When Gannon made it to the Superbowl with the Raiders), and immediately turned the 49ers around. He made Kaepernick look like a respectable NFL QB for gods sake.

The guy has spun shit QBs in to gold everywhere he has gone. I'd be all for it even though the guy is an asshole.

Jim Harbaugh was way too intense for the 49er brass, and some of the players. The kind of shit a coach can get away with in college -- the god who's in total charge of everything football -- but not in the pros, where things are supposed to be more collaborative. I can't imagine him coexisting with the Jones family horseshit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
John is the current Ravens coach. Jim,The one you are thinking of is the current Michigan coach.
Yeah I was thinking Jim because he would make way more sense on a list of potential coaches. Not a coach who isn't available.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think this coaching hire needs to be a turning point in the organization, for better or worse, and I dont see how it could be worse truly. In a move that steps the team closer to a transfer of, ahem, leadership. And I don't mean to be trite. Jerry is still the figurehead monarch in a largely ceremonial role, but at his mid 70's age, its time.

Steven Goof Son needs to lead the search. Jerry has had his turn at the wheel for nigh on 30 years, to limited early success in years 1-5. But, today the team is much closer to the one he purchased in 1988 than we all would care to admit. Its time to hope for a better outcome and a better tomorrow.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jim Harbaugh was way too intense for the 49er brass, and some of the players. The kind of shit a coach can get away with in college -- the god who's in total charge of everything football -- but not in the pros, where things are supposed to be more collaborative. I can't imagine him coexisting with the Jones family horseshit.
I can't remember the details now, but a few years ago there was a book or interview or something where both Harbaughs said Jerry was an example of what was wrong with the NFL and they wouldn't work for a guy like that.

Anyway, I'd never seen that full quote about the Harvard degree from coaching the Cowboys. Jerry's stupidity is like the universe, expanding at an accelerating pace seemingly to infinity.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I can't remember the details now, but a few years ago there was a book or interview or something where both Harbaughs said Jerry was an example of what was wrong with the NFL and they wouldn't work for a guy like that.

Anyway, I'd never seen that full quote about the Harvard degree from coaching the Cowboys. Jerry's stupidity is like the universe, expanding at an accelerating pace seemingly to infinity.
Props.

Harbaugh: "Cowboys are everything that's wrong with the NFL"

Posted by NBC Sports on November 6, 2009, 12:59 PM EDT

Ravens coach John Harbaugh experienced the Eagles-Cowboys rivalry for nine years as a member of the Eagles staff. And he came up with some strong opinions on the differences between the Andy Reid era Eagles and the Jerry Jones-led Cowboys.

ESPN’s Matt Mosley points out a timely excerpt from a new book on the Eagles by Reuben Frank and Mark Eckel. Harbaugh was asked why the Eagles have had so much more success than the Cowboys over the last decade.

“Why is that? Because what Andy Reid and his program stand for the
opposite of what the Cowboys stand for. The Cowboys are a star system.
It’s all about building around individuals first and collecting talent,
collecting great players,” Harbaugh said.

“Andy has always been about building a team.
And over the long haul, it’s a team sport, and one of the greatest
examples of that is what’s happened with the Eagles and the Cowboys
over the last 10 years. The Cowboys stand for everything that’s wrong
with the NFL.”

Ouch.

The quote might be bulletin board material even though Harbaugh has moved on to the Ravens — where he delivered a devastating loss to Dallas in the final game at Texas Stadium.

Baltimore doesn’t face Dallas again this year, so Harbaugh’s words probably won’t have staying power. Still, it’s safe to say he won’t be interviewing with Jerry Jones if he’s ever looking for a job again.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We're F'd.

Yesterday's result was the worst possible thing that could happen.

I didn't see the game, but I saw the score.

Garrett essentially sealed his fate with that performance. He'd have to lose at least 8 or 9 games from here on out for them to even remotely entertain the idea of getting rid of him.

You know they aren't going to build off of this and start winning either, so this was the worst case scenario.

My dreams have been shattered.

:sad

Top Bottom