Names of Potential Garrett replacement coaches being bandied about....

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Todd Wash, D Coordinator Jaguars.

No, his name hasn't been mentioned anywhere, but I want him to be the next HC here.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Todd Wash, D Coordinator Jaguars.

No, his name hasn't been mentioned anywhere, but I want him to be the next HC here.
what about this broken offense?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have a sneaky suspicion we're going to just keep kicking the can down the road and end up promoting Richard to HC.
That would be incredibly stupid.

Then we would end up with Darrell Bevell as OC.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
what about this broken offense?
Well, I would certainly hope that Marinelli would GTFO right along with Garrett. I would like to think Wash would be able to bring in some competent coordinators.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I listen to some OKC sports talk radio and they said recently they'd heard Riley had no interest in the Dallas job.

Why would he? He can do better.

Though frankly, as much as they're being paid now, I don't see why any of these winning college coaches at big-time programs would want to go the NFL.
Riley is already earning close to $5M per year at Oklahoma. I can't see him leaving OU any time soon unless Jerry blows him away with a huge contract. Plus coaches at major programs generally don't get that itch to prove themselves at the next level until they've coached about 4 or 5 years at their current stop. Also, they tend to leave when they've feel that they've plateaued at their current location. Riley is just getting started at Oklahoma. He's at 3 years from getting to that point, IMO.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Parcells is still pretty complimentary of Jerry. He doesn't have anything to gain from it.
Nor does any of the rest of them. Most of the Jones hate is the local media and the Cowboys fans.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Riley is already earning close to $5M per year at Oklahoma. I can't see him leaving OU any time soon unless Jerry blows him away with a huge contract. Plus coaches at major programs generally don't geti don’t think Riley is rounded enough yet to make the transition to the pros. that itch to prove themselves at the next level until they've coached about 4 or 5 years at their current stop. Also, they tend to leave when they've feel that they've plateaued at their current location. Riley is just getting started at Oklahoma. He's at 3 years from getting to that point, IMO.
I don’t think Riley is rounded enough to make the transition to the pros.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

So not well-rounded.

He could run this play, right now with our current personnel and pull it off.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This speculation goes back to early this year. I did a quick search and this is from a couple of weeks ago:

#10 Dan Campbell
#9 James Bettcher
#8 George Edwards
#7 Jim Bob Cooter
#6 Matt LaFleur
#5 Kris Richard
#4 Lincoln Riley
#3 John DeFilippo
#2 John Harbaugh
#1 Sean Payton ​

https://www.chatsports.com/dallas-cowboys/a/cowboys-coaching-hot-board-top-10-replacements-jason-garrett-cowboys-head-coach-if-hes-fired-39449
What did George Edwards do to be on that list?

He has just followed Zimmer around.

This speculation goes back to early this year. I did a quick search and this is from a couple of weeks ago:

#10 Dan Campbell
#9 James Bettcher
#8 George Edwards
#7 Jim Bob Cooter
#6 Matt LaFleur
#5 Kris Richard
#4 Lincoln Riley
#3 John DeFilippo
#2 John Harbaugh
#1 Sean Payton ​

https://www.chatsports.com/dallas-cowboys/a/cowboys-coaching-hot-board-top-10-replacements-jason-garrett-cowboys-head-coach-if-hes-fired-39449
Could you imagine Jim Bob Cooter as the Cowboys HC?? Y’all about hillbilly references..

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could you imagine Jim Bob Cooter as the Cowboys HC?? Y’all about hillbilly references..
Yeah and I don't think he is a very good offensive coordinator so there is that.

Give me the Chiefs offensive coordinator if anything. The guy knows how to run an aggressive offense, sets up easy passes and knows how to pound the ball. I love what the Chiefs are doing this year under the guy.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Parcells is still pretty complimentary of Jerry. He doesn't have anything to gain from it.
Jerry was on his best behavior when Bill was here, but he couldn't wait for him to leave. He was tired of "walking on egg shells."

lostxn

DCC 4Life

#10 Dan Campbell
#9 James Bettcher
#8 George Edwards
#7 Jim Bob Cooter
#6 Matt LaFleur
#5 Kris Richard
#4 Lincoln Riley
#3 John DeFilippo
#2 John Harbaugh
#1 Sean Payton ​

Dan Campbell the old Giants/Dallas tight end?

I would adore Sean Payton but I don't think he'll go anywhere until Brees retires. If we wanted Payton, we should have promoted him when he was here.

Screw John Harbaugh. Get me an X and O guy. They're the ones tearing up the league.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dan Campbell the old Giants/Dallas tight end?

I would adore Sean Payton but I don't think he'll go anywhere until Brees retires. If we wanted Payton, we should have promoted him when he was here.

Screw John Harbaugh. Get me an X and O guy. They're the ones tearing up the league.
Why do you think Harbaugh isn't an X and O guy? Former QB, QB coach (When Gannon made it to the Superbowl with the Raiders), and immediately turned the 49ers around. He made Kaepernick look like a respectable NFL QB for gods sake.

The guy has spun shit QBs in to gold everywhere he has gone. I'd be all for it even though the guy is an asshole.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Jerry was on his best behavior when Bill was here, but he couldn't wait for him to leave. He was tired of "walking on egg shells."
I think more is made of that than people think.

Yes, Jerry probably didn't like having to tone it down, but it's not like he was completely left out of everything -- see the signing of T.O. and the drafting of Newman, for example.

Furthermore, he was very open about wanting Parcells to return in 2007 and even wanted to extend his contract.

In the end, both mean speak very fondly of each other which is why I believe Jerry could work with a real coach, but he has to WANT to do that. And in order for him to want to do that, even if begrudgingly, the Cowboys have to be put into a position where it forces his hand to appease the fanbase.

I think he enjoyed working more with Parcells than he thought he would. He'll never admit that he doesn't know shit, but I think that he is such a football dummy is why he liked working with Parcells because he learned a lot from that experience. I think it could be a similar relationship and experience the next time around if he hires the right guy, we just have to hope he gets put in the position to have to do it.

Top Bottom