Staff member
Go Jags.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Time's Up for Jason Garrett with the Cowboys

Mike Freeman
October 10, 2018

1. Nice only gets you so far in the NFL

A question: Why is Jason Garrett still the head coach of the Cowboys? In fact, why is he a head coach at all?

This isn't meant to be cruel or snide, but it's a fair question to ask after his eight-plus seasons on the job.

Does Garrett come up with brilliant offensive schemes like Andy Reid or Sean McVay? No.

Is he a brilliant motivator like Bill Belichick? No.

Does he inspire players? No. Does he intimidate other coaches the way Belichick does? No. Is he bold like Bears head coach Matt Nagy? Nope.

Does he generate brilliant defensive schemes? No. Do his assistants? No.

There aren't long lines of assistants who've coached under him and gone on to helm other teams. He isn't known for fixing issues or being forward-thinking.

Think about it. Really think about it: What coaching box does Garrett check?

Look no further than this past Sunday for an example of the typical Garrett-inspired Cowboys performance. It was impossible to miss how the Texans played with passion, skill and desperation, while the Cowboys looked staid and uninventive. Dak Prescott has made a distinct lack of progress since his breakout rookie season two years ago, and a Cowboys team that appeared to be building around an exciting young core seems to be moving in reverse.

The Cowboys have a terrific offensive line and one of the best running backs in football. Yet with a chance to be bold and make a statement that could have motivated the roster for weeks, Garrett, whose team faced a 4th-and-1 from the Texans' 42-yard line on the first possession of overtime, decided to punt.

Garrett has gone for it before in such situations, but this instance just reeked of playing it too safe.

And there are too many times when Garrett shrinks from the challenge instead of rising to it.

Are there things Garrett does well? Yes. He's a very nice guy. But nice only gets you so far.

A number of anonymous coaching sources are ripping Garrett after the Texans loss. He remains one of the few coaches who other coaches around the league routinely shred off the record. That's only gotten worse.

We don't need to do that, though. What Garrett represents is obvious enough. He essentially does the bidding of owner Jerry Jones. That's long been the case, and it remains that way, perhaps more than ever.

The Cowboys are 2-3 this year. For his career, Garrett is 69-56 with two playoff appearances. That's it.

Barring a significant turnaround, many around the league expect Garrett to be the first coach fired this year.

This isn't said with glee, but it is what many in the game believe.

It all comes down to that original point: Why is Jason Garrett still the coach of the Cowboys?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
You people are way more optimistic than I am.
We have to be, or there wouldn't be any reason to watch a single minute of the remaining games in the season.

The Texans game was the first time I watched an entire game this year, and it could be the last. The only reason I'm even interested in what happens from here on out is because of the potential the losses have to get Garrett fired.

If at any point I feel it's not possible, I will check out completely from the 2018 NFL season.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We have to be, or there wouldn't be any reason to watch a single minute of the remaining games in the season.

The Texans game was the first time I watched an entire game this year, and it could be the last. The only reason I'm even interested in what happens from here on out is because of the potential the losses have to get Garrett fired.

If at any point I feel it's not possible, I will check out completely from the 2018 NFL season.
youve got a rooting cause I think many are rallying around.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
youve got a rooting cause I think many are rallying around.
Yeah usually if we were within a game of the division lead I'd still be in there rooting hard for the team. But I just don't have any faith in this coaching staff to adjust and right the ship. There is just no rhythm to our offense and I see no way this coaching staff is going to adjust and get that back. Without that I have no faith in our season. As this drags on everyone is going to become less and less interested in watching the team play.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Mike Freeman can't see what's being built here.

p1_

DCC 4Life

BipolarFuk

Demoted

p1_

DCC 4Life

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
the gig is up. People are done with it, all of it. Theyve had it with the shitty coaching, the shitty offense and the 8-8 we are thrust headlong towards as we speak.
I’m not buying it. Jerry doesn’t care about winning. As long as he places money ahead of wins, nothing will change as long as he has the most valuable franchise in all of sports.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m not buying it. Jerry doesn’t care about winning. As long as he places money ahead of wins, nothing will change as long as he has the most valuable franchise in all of sports.
You can't tell me he doesn't make more money when we win though.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
You can't tell me he doesn't make more money when we win though.
Winning games has never been the goal. The goal has been making money and controlling everyone in the organization with no internal disruption. With Garrett: Mission Accomplished.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
What he cares the utmost about is being comfortable.

He isn't comfortable when there is a strong HC with as big a personality as his own.

He won't abide not getting the credit as well.

Can't get the credit with a larger than life HC.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What he cares the utmost about is being comfortable.

He isn't comfortable when there is a strong HC with as big a personality as his own.

He won't abide not getting the credit as well.

Can't get the credit with a larger than life HC.
That's what it comes down to. Jerry wants to win but he wants credit for it badly. He doesn't want a head coach who will outshine him.

Top Bottom